Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']given that i have friends as liberal as myke who are NRA members i know thats not true, but i know how you kids love to lump up anyone slightly conservative.[/QUOTE]
So they're NRA members who don't get upset when people criticize the 2nd amendment? They agree or something?

And Thrust, I never said anything about that. I simply said that some people (mainly conservatives) get really upset when someone even mentions that the 2nd amendment is out dated, yet it's fine to say that 14th is? I really hope there is equal outrage from the liberal side, it's deserved.

Waaaay too many brown anchor babies 'round here. I agree with these Republican White Males. No more auto citizenship for these people.

[quote name='IRHari']Waaaay too many brown anchor babies 'round here. I agree with these Republican White Males. No more auto citizenship for these people.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of things that are helpful to the conversation. Stay classy, bro.

[quote name='IRHari']Waaaay too many brown anchor babies 'round here. I agree with these Republican White Males. No more auto citizenship for these people.[/QUOTE]

speaking of race baiting.....

Sorry, that's just how I feel. I had no problem with Canadians or other Europeans coming here illegally. Once it became apparent that the majority were brown coming from down under....yeah stop with the whole 14th Amendment thing, it's outlived its usefulness.

[quote name='IRHari']Sorry, that's just how I feel. I had no problem with Canadians or other Europeans coming here illegally. Once it became apparent that the majority were brown coming from down under....yeah stop with the whole 14th Amendment thing, it's outlived its usefulness.[/QUOTE]

Plus the language you see used about it is always dehumanizing.

Making it sound like they are farm animals "dropping" babies over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IRHari']Sorry, that's just how I feel. I had no problem with Canadians or other Europeans coming here illegally. Once it became apparent that the majority were brown coming from down under....yeah stop with the whole 14th Amendment thing, it's outlived its usefulness.[/QUOTE]

Country of Origin (January 2006)
Mexico 6,840,000 57%
Latin & Central America 3,000,000 24%
Asia 1,080,0009 %
Europe + Canada 720,000 6%
Rest of World 480,000 4%

Stop trying to make it seem like the majority of illegal immigrants aren't coming from the southern border of the US. It's getting real old, real fast. Also, who cares what their skin color is, get em all out.

[quote name='Msut77']Plus the language you see used about it is always dehumanizing.

Making it sound like they are farm animals "dropping" babies over here.[/QUOTE]

What would you call it? Should we put a pretty name on it, so it doesn't sound so yucky? How about migrating their unborn children to a stable area?

So should we go after everyone except the hispanics? Equal Opportunity Deportations? I just created a new department of the government! "You are in luck Mr. Hernandez, we could not find an Asian to deport today, so as per federal EOD laws, you can wander the US until we come for you again"

[quote name='dorino']Isolationism never solves any problems, it only creates them, you silly republicans.[/QUOTE]

Because continuing to let in to our country the most LEGAL immigrants than any other country, and keeping the ones who aren't here legally out, would really be isolationist.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Country of Origin (January 2006)
Mexico 6,840,000 57%
Asia 1,080,0009 %
Rest of World 480,000 4%

Stop trying to make it seem like the majority of illegal immigrants aren't coming from the southern border of the US. It's getting real old, real fast. Also, who cares what their skin color is, get em all out.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that's just how I feel. I had no problem with Canadians or other Europeans coming here illegally. Once it became apparent that the majority were brown coming from down under....yeah stop with the whole 14th Amendment thing, it's outlived its usefulness.

what the fuck is wrong with you dude

[quote name='Clak']To paraphrase Chris Rock, "If they're white, they're alright.":roll:[/QUOTE]

If we could get hispanic illegal immigration levels down to the level of European/Canadian levels, I don't think illegal immigration would be such a big deal. The problem is that there is so many more illegal immigrants coming from mexico and latin american, that it just makes sense to start fixing the problem there. Even if we only cut illegal immigration from those two areas by 80%, we will go from 12 million a year to 4 million a year, and there will still be more people coming from those two areas than anywhere else.

Watch you guys turn what I said into racism, and not statistics.

"Continuing to allow the most immigration"... lol.

All that means is people want to come here. We still have one of the most difficult immigration processes, which is why there are so many illegals coming in.

I'm for improving the border situation, but I definately don't think it warrants anything like the AZ bill.

I recently talked to a co-worker of mine who just got legal citizen status, took her 7 years. She was here already, I believe as a resident alien.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Country of Origin (January 2006)
Mexico 6,840,000 57%
Asia 1,080,0009 %
Rest of World 480,000 4%

Stop trying to make it seem like the majority of illegal immigrants aren't coming from the southern border of the US. It's getting real old, real fast. Also, who cares what their skin color is, get em all out.[/QUOTE]
That seems like racial profiling at its finest.

Look, I dont mind the US securing their borders in order to prevent thousands of illegals from flooding. However, the US needs to make the processing of obtaining a green card much easier. I have a friend whose parents waited more than 10 years before being able to get one.

[quote name='Clak']To paraphrase a Chris Rock, "If they're white, they're alright.":roll:[/QUOTE]

I think that one belongs to Paul Mooney, and probably thousands of persons before his time as well.

[quote name='dorino']"Continuing to allow the most immigration"... lol.

All that means is people want to come here. We still have one of the most difficult immigration processes, which is why there are so many illegals coming in.

I'm for improving the border situation, but I definately don't think it warrants anything like the AZ bill.[/QUOTE]

No, this is not why so many Illegal immigrants are coming in. The reason is that latin america, and mexico among other places are such shitholes. Sure we can increase legal immigration, but what makes you think that those holes won't fill up with people who are legally waiting still? You people seem to think there is a set number of people that want to come to this country and we just won't let them in. If we decide to let a whole bunch more people come in, don't you think a whole bunch of new people who weren't bothering to apply for citizenship, or run the border will make an attempt for legal citizenship now?

Go ahead, increase LEGAL immigration, but to believe that this is a permanent fix to the ILLEGAL immigration problem is just not true.

I kind of rambled there, but simply put, there is no limit to potential immigration, (well I guess 5.6 billion)but that is why there are limits to immigration.

The limit to illegal immigration is the number of people that are able to hire them at $2 an hour.

They're not coming here to push drugs. They're coming here to make a buck (or two).

[quote name='Knoell']You people seem to think there is a set number of people that want to come to this country and we just won't let them in.[/QUOTE]
No, no, you misunderstand. I'm not saying there is a cap, I'm saying it's extremely difficult to immigrate to this country legally. Most native-born Americans wouldn't make it through our immigration process!

And I'll admit they're coming here illegally because Latin America is mostly a dump, but they're coming here illegally because they have no other choice!

[quote name='dorino']No, no, you misunderstand. I'm not saying there is a cap, I'm saying it's extremely difficult to immigrate to this country legally. Most native-born Americans wouldn't make it through our immigration process!

And I'll admit they're coming here illegally because Latin America is mostly a dump, but they're coming here illegally because they have no other choice![/QUOTE]

People come here because, despite the protests of activists, poor Mexicans are treated much better in the US than they are in Mexico - plus they have more opportunity here. I am all for immigration, but we have to take into account the effect that it will have on us. As much as I would like to make the world a better place for all, we have to realize that our funds and resources are limited and thus we cannot take on all the world's problems - we are already nearly broke.

[quote name='dorino']Taking in immigrants isn't "taking on all the world's problems"[/QUOTE]

How so? if we had no limits on immigration do you think our country could handle the amount of immigration that would pour in?

When alot of the world is crap right now, I would say that taking in the limitless people of those crappy parts of the world is taking on an obligation that we cannot possibly fulfill. Again we can increase the limits, but it wont solve illegal immigration, and taking away all the limits is simply foolhardy.

[quote name='dorino']
And I'll admit they're coming here illegally because Latin America is mostly a dump, but they're coming here illegally because they have no other choice![/QUOTE]
Well, they could try to fix their home country, you know, put in a not so corrupt government. Of course then we would probably send the CIA in and put an end to that. Oh interventionism, how I love you so.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']Well, they could try to fix their home country, you know, put in a not so corrupt government. Of course then we would probably send the CIA in and put an end to that. Oh interventionism, how I love you so.[/QUOTE]

I thought you were one of those Ron Paul dudes.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think that one belongs to Paul Mooney, and probably thousands of persons before his time as well.[/QUOTE]
Well, Rock said "If it's white, it's alright" in regards to things white people do, just changed it a bit.

It was one of these threads, yes. Good to see some republicans enjoy the 14th Amendment as much as the rest of us birthright-ers.

Well, they could try to fix their home country, you know, put in a not so corrupt government. Of course then we would probably send the CIA in and put an end to that. Oh interventionism, how I love you so.
...What

How so? if we had no limits on immigration do you think our country could handle the amount of immigration that would pour in?

When alot of the world is crap right now, I would say that taking in the limitless people of those crappy parts of the world is taking on an obligation that we cannot possibly fulfill. Again we can increase the limits, but it wont solve illegal immigration, and taking away all the limits is simply foolhardy.
I'm not saying take away the limits. My point was the process of immigrating legally is extremely difficult.

[quote name='dorino']
...What
[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised you all haven't heard about the history of this. You know, when Iran had a functioning, democratic government, and the CIA overthrew it in Operation AJAX. Why? Interests in the US and Britain were angry that Iran was trying to take some of the oil profits from BP, for their own uses. When Chiquita (the banana company) enlisted the CIA to help overthrow the government of Guatemala because Guatemala wanted land and labor reforms. Or when the CIA got involved in Nicaragua to install its own little dictatorship, using the Contras. You know, the Iran-Contra affair, when the CIA quite possibly shipped drugs into the US, and used the profits to fund the Contras. Those are just a few examples of our policy of interventionism. Which brings us back to the question, why are so many illegal immigrants coming from Latin America to live here? The answer is, they have shitty governments. If they were to try to improve their situation, instead of coming here, and we were to stop intervening in the affairs of these countries, and stop exploiting them for cheap labor, maybe we could fix quite a few problems.

I don't even know if it's an issue of how hard it is, but how long it takes. A woman I worked with spent the last 7 years working to get citizenship.

Wow. Maddow really does remind me of Glenn Beck. "Just connect these dots... it all falls in place just perfect!"

I'd be interested in seeing numbers of prison breaks in private vs. government owned/operated prisons.

How many illegal immigrants get sentenced to Federal Prison for how long anyway? Don't they generally get deported (or released) fairly quickly?

So, there's this awesome article on Snopes...

We've discussed this here - cracking down on employers of illegal immigrants.

Arizona did that, as some of you may recall. It went into effect on the first of the year.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/mexicoangry.asp

Apparently, there was a bit of a hub-bub where Mexico was complaining about how unfair the law was and how they couldn't be expected to take care of the citizens returning home when they could no longer get work:

At a news conference, the legislators said that Sonora - Arizona's southern neighbor, made up of mostly small towns - cannot handle the demand for housing, jobs and schools that it will face as Mexican workers return to their hometowns from the USA without jobs or money.

MAN IT'D BE AWESOME IF THOSE EVIL, DIRTY REPUBLICANS WOULD SUPPORT LAWS PREVENTING COMPANIES FROM HIRING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

Dirty bastards.

[quote name='UncleBob']Wow. Maddow really does remind me of Glenn Beck. "Just connect these dots... it all falls in place just perfect!"

I'd be interested in seeing numbers of prison breaks in private vs. government owned/operated prisons.

How many illegal immigrants get sentenced to Federal Prison for how long anyway? Don't they generally get deported (or released) fairly quickly?[/QUOTE]

Deportation can take up to months depending on the circumstances. The whole time they're in custody, the private corporation is getting paid by the government. Again, it's in the prison industry's best interest to increase the amount of "product".

I don't really like Maddow but you can't dismiss this logic.

A. Privatization of prisons has been going down nation wide.
B. Arizona has been going up and in fact Gov. Brewer is trying to privatize the entire state's prison system.
C. Arizona just passed a law that would increase the amount of "detainees".

[quote name='depascal22']Deportation can take up to months depending on the circumstances. The whole time they're in custody, the private corporation is getting paid by the government. Again, it's in the prison industry's best interest to increase the amount of "product".

I don't really like Maddow but you can't dismiss this logic.

A. Privatization of prisons has been going down nation wide.
B. Arizona has been going up and in fact Gov. Brewer is trying to privatize the entire state's prison system.
C. Arizona just passed a law that would increase the amount of "detainees".[/QUOTE]

Are we demonizing private companies for increasing the number of people in prison that are here ILLEGALLY? or are we demonizing them for human rights issues? I don't know if you realized it but you sort of lumped them in together. Theres a third option too, they could be secretly increasing the number of illegals coming into this country because that would be in their best interest too! :roll::roll::roll:

Those evil evil companies, profiting off of putting those poor poor people who broke the law in jail while they wait to be deported.

Edit: Whats funny about the story is she is bashing the private industry for allowing an escape like it doesn't happen when the government is in charge of prison facilities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_%22Bucky%22_Phillips Whoops better not let the government handle prisons up here in new york.

I never said the companies were evil. Gov. Brewer and her cronies are evil for allowing a private industry to profit off the misery of others.

The state of Arizona could go after companies for hiring illegals but they'd rather demonize people trying to get jobs.

Here, I'm going to play republican's advocate for this thread:

terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies
terror babies

[quote name='depascal22']I never said the companies were evil. Gov. Brewer and her cronies are evil for allowing a private industry to profit off the misery of others.

The state of Arizona could go after companies for hiring illegals but they'd rather demonize people trying to get jobs.[/QUOTE]

See UncleBobs post.....

I'm not talking about the other companies that hire illegals though. I'm talking about the prison industry...

Oh, never mind. Both of you are completely right.

[quote name='depascal22']The state of Arizona could go after companies for hiring illegals [...][/QUOTE]

[quote name='depascal22']I'm not talking about the other companies that hire illegals though.[/QUOTE]

Wha...?

A couple posts back I said something about the prison industry wanting more illegals to detain. This industry doesn't want to hire illegals, it wants to make it easier for law enforcement to deliver them to prisons and detention centers. Arizona could crack down on businesses that hire illegals instead of delivering them to the prisons for "processing".

So there's two solutions to the problem. One favors industry (especially prisons) but demonizes the people.

The other demonizes industry and allows people to move back across the border because of simple economics.

I explained that poorly before but here it is. Forget what I said before and let's argue this point.

bread's done
Back