Art Academy: First Semester (800 Points) -- Post your masterpieces here.

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Art Academy is a portable art course that anyone can join to replace the lecture-like structure of art school, or the trial and error on canvas, with a Nintendo DSi system. Art Academy: First Semester will guide you through the basics of using pencil and paints, which draw like the real things. With your own paintbrush set and color palette, you will learn texturing and blending techniques, along with how to depict light and shade. There is also Free Paint mode where you can select photos from your Nintendo DSi Camera Album to draw from. In just a few lessons, you will be discovering your inner artist and creating your own masterpieces, with art skills that you can apply with real-life materials.

Anyone else pick this up besides me and utopianmachine? :lol:
It's a bit pricey at 800 points, but it's kind of worth it IMO.

I have 0 artistic talent at all. I'm serious. I am awful. But it does show you to do some basic stuff and it's actually kind of easy.

Here is my tree and my Lime.. :rofl: :oops:

8216_1246396042968_1321429468_30700991_1587526_n.jpg

8216_1246396202972_1321429468_30700992_735353_n.jpg

I have to admit that at 800 points, the game has a steep price tag. A lot obviously went into this one, down to the pleasing design and the carefully done teacher, Vince, who can instruct without annoying (which is rarity in video games, sometimes). While the game doesn't detect how well you're following along with the master artist, that's actually a good thing, as it allows for some creativity.

Lesson One: Apple
7030_1195710144065_1567823108_30501225_3753268_n.jpg

Lesson 2: Sunset
7030_1198406691477_1567823108_30507060_1661826_n.jpg

Lesson 3: Tree
7030_1198420171814_1567823108_30507093_4569238_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your sunset came out great. I'm going to have to re-do mine.
My apple was ok. Did you do the Pear, yet?

My Pear came out AWFUL. :rofl: I didn't even save it I was so ashamed

[quote name='lilboo']Your sunset came out great. I'm going to have to re-do mine.
My apple was ok. Did you do the Pear, yet?

My Pear came out AWFUL. :rofl: I didn't even save it I was so ashamed[/QUOTE]

Lol, I'm surprised you like my sunset. I thought it was blah. I'm working on the tree right now, and that's as far as I've gotten.

I figure I'll post each lesson in my post above. I wish the games weren't 800 points each, but I know I'll get the next one for sure.

How far are you into the game? I finished the last one.. the Wave.. :rofl: Again, I'm so ashamed. I actually want to keep doing them to see if I can get better.

I uploaded my finished tree above. I think that's the only one I'll do today. I'm trying to stretch out this "game." It's really hyping up my already present interest in art. I know stylus and DSi are no substitute for the intricate textures of paint, but I'm having a blast anyhow.

And libboo, I like your lime. Haven't done my own yet, but I think yours looks great. You should post the rest of your pics.

I'm dissapointed there was no way to erase the underdrawing beneathe tree. I'll probably draw another one at some point and try to make sure the underdrawing doesn't show. The game pretty much gives you complete creativity when you're drawing; it doesn't chastise you for going off on your own path. I like that. Of course, to stamp out potential creativity is a no-no, anyway.

I am really interested in art (majored it in college), but I'm not sure if I should get this game or not. Maybe I should wait for the more advanced courses? I like the idea of drawing using the DSi and being able to directly upload to facebook would be fun.
How many lessons are there in this game?

[quote name='Deona']I am really interested in art (majored it in college), but I'm not sure if I should get this game or not. Maybe I should wait for the more advanced courses? I like the idea of drawing using the DSi and being able to directly upload to facebook would be fun.
How many lessons are there in this game?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if anyone who has studied art to any degree would get much out of these game. The lessons seem quite basic. It's got a more diverse set of pencils and paints than, say, Flipnote, but the depends on how big a deal that is to you. Art Academy does have a free paint mode.

There are seven lessons, although now that I've finished the fourth lesson, it appears I've unlocked a mini-lesson. Not sure how many more of those there are. I think if you were to just sit down and play through the whole "game," you could do so in a relatively short time, but I think this one is better to enjoy in little bursts. Think more application than game. I'm looking forward to retrying some of the scenarios and looking forward to trying to come up with little artworks from stuff in real life.

This is one of those titles that you get as much out of it as you put in. I know I'll buy the Second Semester one, when it comes out.

Yeah I think this game would be too basic for me, but I'll keep an eye on the later and more advanced courses. I still have 1000 free nintendo points and would really like to spend them soon haha.

I downloaded it yesterday. I had to think about 800 points, as it seemed overpriced, but I really wanted to see how it was and I go for quirky things like this.

I minored in Visual Arts in college, but I never felt confident about my drawing skills. Plus, my son, who is not confident about his artistic skills, might give it a shot.

Here are mine so far:

HNI_0001.jpg

HNI_0002.jpg

HNI_0003.jpg

It really is a pretty good art program. The uploading directly to Facebook feature is incredibly useful. This is a decent substitute for the more full-featured Colors, methinks.

[quote name='lilboo']My Pear came out AWFUL. :rofl: I didn't even save it I was so ashamed[/QUOTE]

My pear ended up being pretty crappy too. I didn't quite realize the future shading it would allow me to do and messed up pretty bad early on. I'll try that one again soon.

[quote name='lilboo']I am so jealous of blandstalker's Pear![/QUOTE]

I've never had someone tell me so publicly that they envied my, uh, fruit ;)

Here's some more:

HNI_0005.jpg

HNI_0006.jpg

HNI_0004.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the apple/peaches mini-lesson. I'll probably do that one over. I think it fails in the details, which are kinda glossed over in the mini-lesson. My son was pretty amazed with the wave and I'll have to admit, even I'm pleasantly surprised looking at it again today.

I feel like I totally got my 800 points worth and then some, so I'll be getting Second Semester today.

*drools over Mufasa-drawing*

No idea about what Art Academy 2 offers. Haven't finished enjoying the first, and I doubt lilboo has bought it either.

Speaking of lilboo, why the sad face?

Wow that Mufasa drawing is very good! It's hard to believe that was drawn on the DSi.

Does anyone know if there will be any other semesters? I probably won't get the first seeing as it's too basic, but the second one looks a little more advanced. Think I should go for it and get second semester?

The only information the Nintendo site has about Art Academy: Second Semester is this:

"In Art Academy: Second Semester, new and returning students are presented with another set of in-depth lessons designed to encourage the creation of more complex artwork. By gaining an even deeper understanding of colors and techniques used by famous impressionist artists, you will be taking on more challenging themes that include moving objects and vast landscapes with distant objects."

Sounds like a step up from the first lesson certainly. If you're interested in the series, why not take a leap?

[quote name='utopianmachine']The only information the Nintendo site has about Art Academy: Second Semester is this:

"In Art Academy: Second Semester, new and returning students are presented with another set of in-depth lessons designed to encourage the creation of more complex artwork. By gaining an even deeper understanding of colors and techniques used by famous impressionist artists, you will be taking on more challenging themes that include moving objects and vast landscapes with distant objects."

Sounds like a step up from the first lesson certainly. If you're interested in the series, why not take a leap?[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten very far into Second Semester yet, but the very first lesson has you mixing paint colors. I also don't know if this was something you could do in First Semester in the free mode (haven't tried that, either).

But yeah -- you get to do new, more advanced stuff.

[quote name='blandstalker']I haven't gotten very far into Second Semester yet, but the very first lesson has you mixing paint colors. I also don't know if this was something you could do in First Semester in the free mode (haven't tried that, either).

But yeah -- you get to do new, more advanced stuff.[/QUOTE]

Sounds really cool. I was trying to stretch out my Art Academy enjoyment, so I haven't been messing with it as much. I should perhaps redo my sad, sad tree. Or pear.

[quote name='blandstalker']I haven't gotten very far into Second Semester yet, but the very first lesson has you mixing paint colors. I also don't know if this was something you could do in First Semester in the free mode (haven't tried that, either).

But yeah -- you get to do new, more advanced stuff.[/QUOTE]

Paint mixing was available in First Semester.

bread's done
Back