Art piece I entered in an online contest (Slight Nudity / NSFW)

Xevious

CAGiversary!
Hello everyone,

I submitted a piece of art to an online art contest sponsored by Corel. Unfortunately, the website shrunk my picture and you can not see the detail. I'm not exactly happy about that.

Below is the image that I submitted on my Deviantart account and you can see the detail in full view:
poseiden_by_pikechopsaw-d2xgrz1.jpg

I hope you guys like it.

If you want to, you can vote my picture on the corel website; I provided the weblink below.

http://www.corelquestforthebest.com/index.php?eid=365

They will ask you for your email address if you vote so I can understand if you don't want to do that. You will be entered in a drawing for netbook though. I do appreciate the help though.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like the chick on the left is jerking off posiedon under the water lol. i like the pic though its got 2 of my favorite things in it tits and greek mythology.

[quote name='lokizz']looks like the chick on the left is jerking off posiedon under the water lol. i like the pic though its got 2 of my favorite things in it tits and greek mythology.[/QUOTE]

haha. Oh geeze. It does look like that. xD

I like it.

Thanks for the vote helluvagood and 62T!

[quote name='lokizz']looks like the chick on the left is jerking off posiedon under the water lol. i like the pic though its got 2 of my favorite things in it tits and greek mythology.[/QUOTE]

Wow... I never saw that (!). I guess everyone interprets a picture a little differently.

I appreciate the good comments. It took forever to finish this picture and my brain is tired.

but does Poseidon have a penis? Or is he half fish too?

Is Corel what all the bad artists use? Even the top-rated submissions suck balls.

No offense, bro. The ship looks decent enough, but I don't think you should be drawing humanoids for art you submit to any contests.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Is Corel what all the bad artists use? Even the top-rated submissions suck balls.

No offense, bro. The ship looks decent enough, but I don't think you should be drawing humanoids for art you submit to any contests.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the first statement.

As for the 2nd statement, can you give tell me any specifics on why you didn't like it. I'm not a troll or anything so I'm not going to freak out on any negative critism. I'm still learning you know.

[quote name='62t']but does Poseidon have a penis? Or is he half fish too?[/QUOTE]

yeah hes got one most of greek mytholgy is gods/godesses nailing mortals so he should have one. plus he can do he half fish thing too im sure.

One chick is giving a handjob and the other is giving Poseidon a look like "why won't you let me get in on the action?" The wave looks like he's shooting his load. I don't know how he looks so serious as this is occurring. Maybe they're giants and the people in the ship are scared as hell that he will blow them over.

I don't think the scales blend in with the body well enough, the girl on the left's arm juts into her side like she gained skin by pushing into the body, Poseidon's hair is WTFness (he lives in the sea. Why is it curly/braided-like?). The breasts really don't work and the left's right one looks like a cucumber or something. AND THE FACES ARE ALL WRONG

Poseidon's arm looks cool though.

I like it a lot. Does it have a title? Honestly, if the title isn't, "Poseidon & His Mermaid Bitches", I'll be slightly disappointed.

Also, I like the Bret Hart logo in naiku's sig.

[quote name='Matt Young']I like it a lot. Does it have a title? Honestly, if the title isn't, "Poseidon & His Mermaid Bitches", I'll be slightly disappointed.

Also, I like the Bret Hart logo in naiku's sig.[/QUOTE]

Well I just called it 'Poseiden' unfortunately....I guess I'm not good with titles.

When I was painting this, I didn't make the sexual connection that other people did. I never painted water before and I was trying something new.

I must admit, a lot of the comments on this thread are pretty funny.

EDIT: I will bump this thread Tomorrow and Tuesday because those are the last days to vote. After that, I will let the thread rest in peace.

I felt like your subconscious was thinking about sex while you drew it. Maybe you have some erotic memories from times when you were swimming in the past. I meant no offense, just being a bit humorous. My favorite part of the piece is Poseidon's arm and the spear.

It does look like the mermaid on the left is administering a handjob to Poseidon (not to nitpick, but that's the spelling, in case it matters for your submission).

[quote name='J7.']I felt like your subconscious was thinking about sex while you drew it. Maybe you have some erotic memories from times when you were swimming in the past. I meant no offense, just being a bit humorous. My favorite part of the piece is Poseidon's arm and the spear.[/QUOTE]

I do spend a lot of time by myself without human contact when I paint this picture so it is possible that my subconscious was acting up. So I can't disagree (or agree) with your theory. I just paint and let everything take its place.

No offense taken.

[quote name='Xevious']Wow... I never saw that (!). I guess everyone interprets a picture a little differently.[/QUOTE]

No, we pretty much all look for the sex.

Voted for you sir. Good luck and keep practicing, you'll only get better if you stick with it. Hell of a lot better then I could do for sure.

[quote name='Xevious']I do spend a lot of time by myself without human contact when I paint this picture so it is possible that my subconscious was acting up. So I can't disagree (or agree) with your theory. I just paint and let everything take its place.

No offense taken.[/QUOTE]

I think all that time artists spend by themselves on a work helps bring their thoughts into their work and really makes it shine and makes it art.

[quote name='camoor']No, we pretty much all look for the sex.[/QUOTE]

Haha there's definitely that aspect too.

Not trying to knock your art or be a dick for no reason but the foreground and background on there really dont go together. Maybe you did that on purpose I dont know, but the stark contrast in style and color seperate the two alot.

I mean hell its better than anything I can do, my art is strictly pen and ink drawings with nothing to fancy.

[quote name='gargus']Not trying to knock your art or be a dick for no reason but the foreground and background on there really dont go together. Maybe you did that on purpose I dont know, but the stark contrast in style and color seperate the two alot.

I mean hell its better than anything I can do, my art is strictly pen and ink drawings with nothing to fancy.[/QUOTE]

I actually did that on purpose but I can see your Point of view. I wanted to make it 2 separate waves. Maybe I should have made 3? Anyways...Painting the water was somewhat difficult and It was something I never tried before. I was kinda pushing myself artistically.

-------------------------

Thanks again for those who voted for me. Today is the last day. Maybe one of you guys might get a free netbook out of this. That would be cool.

Re: the foreground/background

The figures don't fit in the environment. It's a lighting issue - these figures look like they are lit with studio lighting and the background looks much more moody. I think the figures would definitely benefit from that moody lighting. I think you are showing way too much of the figures for this to be believable as as dark and stormy ocean scene.

bread's done
Back