Artists Unite!!! IN OUTRAGE!

BluesCluesMama

CAGiversary!
"The U.S. Copyright Office issued its report on Orphan Works only a couple of weeks ago. The end of that report contained proposed language for an amendment to the Copyright Act. That proposal is now being fast-tracked in Washington with a good chance of passage before the end of this Session. In my opinion, if that language is enacted in its current form, it will be the worst thing that has happened to independent photographers and other independent visual artists since Work Made for Hire contracts.

The Orphaned work legislation GREATLY affects artists and creative professionals, and should be taken seriously. We sign to have our voice heard, and to show congress that we will NOT let this bill pass. "

Please sign this petition guys, it is really important that this doesn't pass. I can not stress this enough.

http://www.petitiononline.com/dAvsOW/petition.html

Just to clarify they are trying to make it so that if you take a photograph etc you have to pay to make it yours. You shouldn't have to pay to make something yours when it is already bloody your own. This will only aid big corporations so they don't have to pay artists ..it is really messed up.

Thats from another board. I've put my signature on the petition because this is complete and utter bull. This basically allows for anyone to steal your artwork and call it their own. I may not be looking into a career but if someone does make money off of my art then I would be pissed. I sweat and bleed for my artwork and I don't want someone else's name on it because they stole it through a loophole in some stupid bill some idiots didn't look at thoroughly.

I got dibbs on anything made by Munch

munch-eduard-the-scream-7600162.jpg

[quote name='Moxio']Has PetitionOnline EVER worked for ANYTHING?[/QUOTE]

Have petitions themselves ever worked for anything?

Oh noes! my crappy tattoo drawing!

Actually, being that I intended on majoring in photography when the time came to head off for college, this kinda hits hard; especially since photographers have a tendency of taking a lot of pictures, and if I'm forced to pay for each one of them that means much -$$$. Guess this means I should plan on either going underground, littering my pictures with my signature, or saying to hell with it and go into the carpentry field so that maybe I'll still have a job when our economy inevitably bottoms out for the second time.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Have petitions themselves ever worked for anything?[/quote]

Besides distracting people from really making some sort of difference?

Nope.

This entire "Orphan Works" controversy is based on a severe misreading of what is actually going on. The legislation isn't even in front of Congress yet, and, far more importantly, doesn't even do what the people attacking it claim it does. A good review of the issue is here (http://maradydd.livejournal.com/374886.html). Make sure you check out the links as well.

As a copyright attorney representing artists, I have a vested interest in protecting the perpetuation of copyrights. Despite this, I am not concerned about the current state of the Orphan Works laws. It's basically a non-issue, at least for now.

bread's done
Back