Artsy/Elitist Techno??

Canadian_Man

CAGiversary!
Does this exist?

I love trance, but song structure is usually the same and exploration is limited. House has it's moments, but I can't get over most of the vocals they choose to sample and the overly monotonous 1-2-3-4 beat. I've heard some nice electro, but some of the more frequently used effects annoy me and lack of vocals kills it.

I'm one of those guys that will go through a genre from the originals and work my way up more selectively as the genre gets more and more diluted. Because of the evolution of technology, just about all of the early techno is just unlistenable to me. I'm having a hard time really digging through this kind of music as opposed to when I did with Metal and Hip Hop.

I'm basically looking for something modern in sound, but that explores the boundaries a little more. Vocals are very welcome. First artist to come to mind that fits this criteria is Above & Beyond.

Artist recommendations?

oceanlab is the only thing that maybe comes to mind

what're you talking about with electro? lack of vocals? annoyed by common effects? i can't really relate to that... what about stuff like crystal castles, battles, justice, etc? there isn't much room for experiment in trance or house, if you're wanting something more experimental / artsy i think you're gonna have to branch into electro

Sirens of the Sea is an excellent album, very much in the vein I am looking for.

Perhaps the sub-genre breakdown wasn't helping.

I think I what I really mean to say is I am looking for something in the house/trance vein that actually plays around with songwriting/progression and feels as though it is a little more than a cooker cutter track.

I have a bunch of mixes I like, but I'm looking more for artists that put out LPs with individual tracks.

I liked that Telefon Tel Aviv very much, thank you :applause:

As for Steve Angello, are you familiar enough with him to recommend albums/tracks/mixes?

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I liked that Telefon Tel Aviv very much, thank you :applause:

As for Steve Angello, are you familiar enough with him to recommend albums/tracks/mixes?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I went with a friend who is really big into techno. Just youtube him or "Swedish House Mafia". Another good website, that although you have to pay for music, but can still use it to find great stuff is beatport.com

Here's a new song from SHM that doesn't even have a name yet, but kicks ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrrCAJSyyc

bread's done
Back