Assassin's Creed II - Gen. Discussion - Main Character Revealed

[quote name='Nebenator']The game just took off for me when
I acquired the hidden blade and killed Uberto Alberti
[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Just played up to that point last night and I'm totally hooked.

I'm just past that point and loving it - I'm having trouble deciding where to spend the florins, upgrading the villa vs buying new armor, weapons, etc. I think I'll try to focus pretty hard on the villa.

[quote name='srr']I'm just past that point and loving it - I'm having trouble deciding where to spend the florins, upgrading the villa vs buying new armor, weapons, etc. I think I'll try to focus pretty hard on the villa.[/QUOTE]

Better to repair/upgrade the villa first. You'll get more money from the chest to continue upgrading and once you're done fixing up the villa you'll be getting around 10k every 20 minutes from the chest. Then you'll have plenty of money to buy art and armor and such which also increases the amount of florin you collect from the chest. At least that's what I did. Didn't really need any armor or new weapons for the first 5 memory sequences I've done.

[quote name='perdition(troy']played some more today, and my god i love it.

i'm not gonna lie, when
they hung my dad and brothers
I felt absolutely horrible.[/QUOTE]
It takes me a while to get into games, so I didn't feel anything for that event since it happened so early on. I'm having high expectations for the rest of the game, though :bouncy:

OMG! MailExpress fucking sucks. Why does BestBuy use such a piece of shit shipping option? Borderlands took me a week to get from them, this game is still sitting in the same place and I'll be lucky to get it Saturday, or get hosed and have to wait until Monday. Next time they have a buy 1 get 1 50% off, I'm going to pass.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Jeff at Giant Bomb says you can turn the game to full Italian voices with English subtitles. Which is pretty rad. [/QUOTE]

Dude, you just made my day. Question though: would that mean Desmond and Lucy speak Italian too?

[quote name='SoulReaver']surprised by the lack of posts. tempted to pick this up[/QUOTE]
I'd say go for it right now, but Amazon will probably have it for $35-$45 on BF.

I'm stuck right now on sequence 3 right after I finish training with Mario and how he gets mad at you and runs off. I see the " ! " marker but all I see is a glowing box and a message comes up and says "You have no florian income" or something along those lines.

How do you know when you are near a glyph?? Supposedly something appears on the screen, but I couldn't find what they were talking about.

I'm stuck right now on sequence 3 right after I finish training with Mario and how he gets mad at you and runs off. I see the " ! " marker but all I see is a glowing box and a message comes up and says "You have no florian income" or something along those lines.
Try going through the library or the staircase; you may be on the wrong floor.

How do you know when you are near a glyph?? Supposedly something appears on the screen, but I couldn't find what they were talking about.
You will be spoken to by the Australian person that handles data (can't remember his name!)

Anyone else notice that the keyboards are flipped?

any good discussion about deciphering all the hidden codes? or links?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished this the other day, all 1000. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO better than the first. My god.

Loved the ending too, even if it comes completely out of freakin nowhere and throws you for a loop. I love LOST so it gave me a chubby when it happened. I am stoked for the next game, and the final LOST season.

yeah this game was a lot of fun. Not at 1k...not sure if i wanna collect all the feathers.

Not a major spoiler but ill still put it in tags
the ending with desmond saying "What. The. fuck." and credits roll had me LOL.
Overall the game is a lot of fun. I dont know if there is much replay value but it did take me 21 hours slowly get through the entire campaign doing 10-12 side missions.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='naiku']Not a spoiler but ill still put it in tags
the ending with desmond saying "What. The. fuck." and credits roll had me LOL.
[/QUOTE]

How is that NOT a spoiler?

[quote name='Magus8472']How is that NOT a spoiler?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I kind of wish I hadn't read that, but he did the right thing so I've no-one to blame but myself.

Those eye puzzles are kind of cool, nice addition to the game IMO.

^
lol i hope that was sarcastic. knowing the last line of a game that doesn't diminish the value of the story or experience of the game is hardly considered a spoiler.

Thinking back on AC2, i wish it was difficult. The puzzle are pretty hard but the combat is a joke. I died 5 times in the game all of which were me jumping off a viewpoint and not swan diving. With the addition of medicine is seems like the game got way easier to just kill all the guards when detected.

..edited the original post before more people get upset about the credits....on second thought i probably shouldn't have put a name in there. my fault.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']where the hell is the palazzo medici thing, i preordered it and entered da code okay, but have no clue where to find it[/QUOTE]

Ack, Spoiler alert!

[quote name='Chris Dillon']length?[/QUOTE]

Not as important as width. Wait.....what?

Seriously, though. Haven't played the game but I hear it's a 20 to 25 hour game if you do some of the side-stuff and the main story. I'm gonna get this game, sooner rather than later.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']length?[/QUOTE]
I beat it in 14 hours without very many sidequests. I may post a mini-review tomorrow as a blog or in this thread.

I'm at like 13 hours...just under halfway through it. Then again, I like to explore everything in the city and just take my time in general (especially in a game world as beautiful as this one is).

I probably have put in around 15-17 hours and just started Sequence 8 but I spent some time collecting the following (i.e. tombs, feathers, glyphs) in all areas prior to compeleting missions
and pumping up the villa

Great game., I really cranked through this one. I thought the first AC looked great, but this game is gorgeous! They definitely smoothed out the monotony issues too... I didn't really mind it as much as others the first time around but regardless it's great that they spiced things up.

Who else has finished the game? I have some remarks... I think they're spoiler free but I put a tag on there anyways just in case.

I think desmond summed it up best at the end of the game: "what the fuck". As a fan of Lost and Fringe and all that I should probably be more appreciative of this story they are telling, but I'm just kind of burned out on this stuff. There's just something that feels so unnecessary about the sci-fi element here, I kinda wish these games would just take place in the past with no sort of modern day conspiracy crap going on. I think it was pretty obvious where they were going with the reveal at the end of thAC1, not necessarily in regard to the specific players or causes involved but you could tell in general what the big picture was, so I wasn't too shocked by the ending.

Be warned of serious spoilers on this one though:
The bonus video was kinda interesting... Ubisoft sure is fascinated with free running. I'm sure people don't want this thread getting bogged down with spoiler tags but I wanted to just make some observations. This may have been discussed in the game, but I'm assuming that before Adam and Eve stole the apple, humans were basically relegated to slavery for these "beings". I wonder what they were working on, possibly the ark? There looked to be some creepy fella in black overseeing the workers... or were my eyes just playing tricks on me?

[quote name='eastshore4']
Who else has finished the game? I have some remarks... I think they're spoiler free but I put a tag on there anyways just in case.

I think desmond summed it up best at the end of the game: "what the fuck". As a fan of Lost and Fringe and all that I should probably be more appreciative of this story they are telling, but I'm just kind of burned out on this stuff. There's just something that feels so unnecessary about the sci-fi element here, I kinda wish these games would just take place in the past with no sort of modern day conspiracy crap going on. I think it was pretty obvious where they were going with the reveal at the end of AC1, not necessarily in regard to the specific players or causes involved but you could tell in general what the big picture was, so I wasn't too shocked by the ending.
[/QUOTE]

I do agree. It feels like it has a bit too much scifi crap. To me the game sorta plays out like the tv show Chuck where someone has access to this badass information about the past. In AC he gets to replay his ancestors memories...then becomes a ultra badass. That by itself seems pretty cool. Maybe because I dont remember much from the first AC but I couldn't tell you why im supposed to hate these present day templars.. tbh i can't tell you one thing about them that they are bad besides trying to stop Kristen Bell and Desmond. I think thats a big issue with the story. They did do a much better job in AC2 since I knew exactly what Ezio was trying to do, just didn't get why it mattered at all to Desmond. Who is there to leech off Ezios skills and become a present day assassin.

Random thing about very end of game
did anyone notice a different type of kill animation when Desmond had the blade during the credits? I dont recall Ezio being as violent as Desmond. Desmond stabs a guard in the neck and throws them off to the side. I was like holy shit this is gonna be awesome.... but then i remembered the game was over with.

I think i would have enjoyed AC2 more if Ezios story was half the length they bring Desmond along to build on this "present day" story which as far as im concerned had no real effect in the AC games. Each game starts and ends with Desmond but nothing happens that has me say "wow i can't wait to see how this story pans out"...its very much a throw away which is disappointing.

Naiku, you're definitely right about the ending. I understand that it
was supposed to be a twist, but there was no prior warning to it, which, as Desmond said, fucked it up for me.

Was not a fan of the gameplay of AC1 (repetative missions and such), but I'm going into AC2 with as open a mind as possible. So far so good. Definitely enjoy the more time they're taking to build up Ezio as an actual character I know and care about. Looking forward to spending more time with it this week!

I enjoyed AC1 myself because I enjoyed the combat a lot, so no matter how much I had to do it, it was fun, with the cinematic flair the game had. That being said, I find that everything people had to complain about in AC1 - which I never really took issue with - got fixed, and they are all for the better, for those still on the fence.

Also, the story is great IMO.

I just knew the moment Lucy was breaking Desmond out of Astbergo (sp?) that the end would have the action finally spill into the present day. Never did I know they would give us a tease of ACIII in the epilogue. When the screen goes to black during the Minerva talk and Desmond goes, "What the fuck?" I thought that was a fantastic way to end ACII, albeit not what I wanted. They went above and beyond with that tease. I wonder what the present day Assassins wear in the field...?

Anyway, yeah, I noticed the same thing about Desmond's fighting. Too early to tell, but depending on how dark they go, I think ACIII (or the rest of the series) may end up concerning Desmond's stance on the Assassins. During the convos with Shawn out of the Animus, they discuss how good Assassin's really are, further foregrounded by Altair's thoughts in the codex about where they stand in everything. It's something very small to deduce something so big on, but I feel like Desmond might grow to enjoy killing? Kind of hope so.

Also, if Altair showed up in ACII, it may be safe to say Ezio's fate will be cleared up in III. Who do you think he ended up shtuping to make Desmond's ancestors?

Just finished up Sequence 8 and the game is amazing. I've dabbed myself into different side quests and explored four of the hidden dungeons.

I have a question though...after you beat the game, are you able to go back and finish up the side quests and explore?

[quote name='Ichigo1993']I have a question though...after you beat the game, are you able to go back and finish up the side quests and explore?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you return to the game with everything but the story missions (obviously).
EDIT: Sorry, I meant obviously referring to the story missions, not your question.

Finished it all up! =) So amazing. I cannot wait for AC3. I kind of hope they put it on the next gen console - or atleast find a way to fix the terrible pop in and glitches. Great stuff though! Definitely in my top 3 favorite games of all time. Yup...

[quote name='Nebenator']Yes, you return to the game with everything but the story missions (obviously).
EDIT: Sorry, I meant obviously referring to the story missions, not your question.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I'll probably finish up the main quest then before I focus on anything else.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Finished it all up! =) So amazing. I cannot wait for AC3. I kind of hope they put it on the next gen console - or atleast find a way to fix the terrible pop in and glitches. Great stuff though! Definitely in my top 3 favorite games of all time. Yup...[/QUOTE]

Next Gen? Not when AC2 is selling millions of copies. I bought 10 games this holiday season and AC2 is by far my favorite. Gameplay, graphics and storyline are all awesome. This game is everything that Infamous should have been.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Everything InFamous should have been? What the hell? Don't you mean Assassins Creed 1?[/QUOTE]

I never played the first AC 1. I played Infamous and was big time bored by it and every mission felt like a chore. I know AC2 and Infamous are apples and oranges. I compare the two due to them being free roaming, sand box games which include climbing huge buildings and running rooftop to rooftop with missions thrown in. Everything about AC 2 is fun while Infamous turns from being fun into a bore/chore.

For those that have beaten the game and gotten all the glyphs.

Wow! Just finished this game this evening. I loved the end, i am so stoked for ACIII. For anyone that got all the glyphs, wtf? Where were Adam and Eve, and what was Minerva overseeing?

in response to above:

the binary at the end of the truth supposedly reads "Eden" so i think they're going with the idea that the whole adam and eve story about being expelled from eden for taking the apple is true except in the context of the apple as a piece of eden and the knowledge being the ability to resist the power the gods exercised over people with their pieces of eden. this is very much like how ezio resists borgia's staff with the piece of eden.

as for what minerva (so glad you also came to the conclusion the dark figure is her), i have no clue what they're making the humans make. i'm sure that will be for aciii.

[quote name='wildcpac']I never played the first AC 1. I played Infamous and was big time bored by it and every mission felt like a chore. I know AC2 and Infamous are apples and oranges. I compare the two due to them being free roaming, sand box games which include climbing huge buildings and running rooftop to rooftop with missions thrown in. Everything about AC 2 is fun while Infamous turns from being fun into a bore/chore.[/QUOTE]
Good thing you didn't play AC1, you would have literally killed yourself.

@AC2 story - I FRIGGEN love the story. I've actually taken classes on all the things discussed and studied on my own time about the modern day Templar's (the Illuminati) and the study of religion and the cultural effect. I've also enjoyed learning about the Renaissance and all about Da Vinci... so this game was a perfect game for me.

If anyone is interested, you can still find the Ultimate Assassins Edition (read: Gamestop exclusive collectors edition) in store if you call around. I found one after calling three stores. Piece of cake. Luckily I have about 8 stores in what I would consider a reasonable distance (

For those of you who got the Gamestop exclusive map, how does that work? Is it on the game disc or was there a card with a code on it included with the game? I just bought a used AC2 at Gamestop that says "Gamestop Exclusive with bonus in-game map inside" on the cover but there's nothing inside.

bread's done
Back