Astro A50 PS4 for $255 w/ free shipping

Notchbin_Dallas

CAGiversary!
Use the promo code Jan2015 at Audio Geeks site for 15% off of most products on their site. Didn't apply to the Xbox One version of the headset, only the PS4 one, but either works with either console. The Xbox vsn just includes the dongle for Xbox chat. The site also offers free 2 day shipping and doesn't charge sales tax.

The Gen 1 refurbs are still only $199 on Amazon. I bought them back in August and am really happy with them. They work fine on the PS4 and XB1 after updating the firmware.

I have the original A50's for my Xbox One and they are by far the best headset I've ever used.

I'm sure its frowned upon but I pulled up a refurbished pair on my phone from Amazon and had Best Buy price match it. Ended up paying $180 for a brand new pair. The guy looked at it for a minute and I was sure he noticed but he rang it up anyways.

Yes, there are some members rich enough to buy a single pair of headphones like these.  It's actually cheaper than buying speakers on the cost ratio of sound quality to price.  I'm sure there are some members here that want great sound, but can't use speakers due to personal and living location reasons also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you all rich???? A quarter grand for a single pair of headphones?
Actually, thanks to CAG, I was able to get in on Astro's "April Fools" Gag a few years ago. I'm still not sure if it was a mistake or an actual planned deal, but I was able to get the A50's for $150. I ordered two sets, and was able to sale the second set for close to retail, so that paid for my set.

So I'm far from rich, but was able to get in on a killer deal, as I was at the right place at the right time. Even though I didn't pay full price, I think I would have after having experienced the A50's, they are that good.

The PX5 was the highest end set I used before these, and while very good, I never felt they where the "Ones" for me. Once I tried these, my search was over. LOL

I actually just got the pair I ordered from BB in the mail today. I went with the White Xbox One Edition, since it comes with the adapter for the Xbox One. I plan to use them for the PS4, XB1, & PC. Used Rewards Certs & gift cards from Xmas. I paid $160 out of pocket. Now I have amazing headphones for all three platforms.

Please, PLEASE....

If you don't absolutely need an attached mic, buy a pair of audiophile headphones instead of this.

-Better sound quality

-More comfortable

-Can be used for other application

-Less expensive.

You can get Sennheiser 598HDs for $160 on amazon.  SUPERIOR in every way.

The astros are horribly overpriced for what they offer.  The mixamp is the best part of the package.

Last edited by a moderator:
astro a50 for the ps4 are trash on the ps4. buy the a40 and just deal with the wires. So much better then this wireless crap.

Please, PLEASE....

If you don't absolutely need an attached mic, buy a pair of audiophile headphones instead of this.

-Better sound quality

-More comfortable

-Less expensive.

You can get Sennheiser 598HDs for $160 on amazon. SUPERIOR in every way.

The astros are horribly overpriced for what they offer. The mixamp is the best part of the package.
I think headset preference is all opinion based. I owned a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and while the sound was pretty great, the bass was severely lacking. A lot of games nowadays need that heavy bass feeling and I feel like Astro headphones deliver that rich sound. I've also owned a pair Tritton AX720s and while the sound was decent at the price point, the headphones weren't very comfortable.

Also keep in mind that if you are using Sennheisers, you would be required to have the xbox one chat adapter to pump out any sound. Those are just basic headphones while the Astros come with the mixamp which connects via opitcal audio. The Astro A50s are also wireless headphones while Sennheisers aren't. You would also run into the ability to use them across all platforms as well unless you had some sort of setup that allows you to plug in basic headphones.

My point is that while I have had good experiences with Sennheiser headphones, I wouldn't necessarily say they are the best for gaming. The 555s I had also leaked sound so whatever I was listening to, everyone else in the room can hear it. To be fair, the Astro A50s are extremely comfortable. They can also be used across every single platform except for the Wii U / Wii because they don't offer any sort of optical out. Even with that being said, you can still use the optical out on your television and use them. The only thing you can't use them with is your phone or tablet but who would want to do that?

Please, PLEASE....

-Better sound quality

-More comfortable

-Less expensive.

The astros are horribly overpriced for what they offer. The mixamp is the best part of the package.
If I wanted "wired" headphones, I'm sure there are tons of great options for gaming and non gaming. That's a non starter for me, "wireless" or nothing.

If your going to make a recommendation, at least compare apples to apples. These headphones are strictly audio, and really have no use in practical gaming. I personally don't use the mic, but most gamers who need a 7.1 base headset do.

You may prefer the better sound for the price, but others would rather pay more to get more options of use to them(mic, wireless, FW updates, ETC).

Use the promo code Jan2015 at Audio Geeks site for 15% off of most products on their site. Didn't apply to the Xbox One version of the headset, only the PS4 one, but either works with either console. The Xbox vsn just includes the dongle for Xbox chat. The site also offers free 2 day shipping and doesn't charge sales tax.
These do in fact work with the Halo Xbox One version. Thanks

Please, PLEASE....

-Better sound quality
-More comfortable
-Less expensive.

I've seen this recommendation before, but this isn't a wireless setup by any means. Also a lot of people will want some extra bass, which the A50s do deliver on. I've had mine for about three years and love them. They're the most comfortable headset I've ever worn and I've never had a problem using it across all platforms: ps3, ps4, 360, xbox one, pc. Only downside is the required cable on Xbox in order to chat, so they aren't completely wireless.

bread's done
Back