AT&T purchases T-Mobile for $39 Billion

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
Wow.

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2011/03/20/att-to-acquire-t-mobile-usa-for-39-billion/

AT&T and Deutsche Telekom have agreed the sale of T-Mobile USA for $39 billion in cash and stocks. The combined customer base of this upcoming GSM behemoth will be 130 million users.

As part of the deal, Deutsche Telekom will walk away with 8% equity stake in AT&T and a position on the AT&T Board of Directors.

The agreement has been approved by the Boards of Directors of both companies.

Assuming the deal goes ahead, it would make AT&T the United States’ largest wireless carrier by a significantly greater margin.

How is this even allowed? The Sirius XM merger took forever to approve, and I'm sure this shit will just be wrapped up in a week. what a joke.

I love T-Mobile. :[

Hopefully this means I can either get out of my contract and move to Verizon, or maybe I can just get an iPhone now on T-Mobile.

[quote name='Rocko']I love T-Mobile. :[

Hopefully this means I can either get out of my contract and move to Verizon, or maybe I can just get an iPhone now on T-Mobile.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. It hasn't been approved. I actually would stay with AT&T if I could keep my contract. It's a family plan with 2 lines where each had unlimited text & web, with 1000, and 5 myfaves for $107 after taxes. That's a great deal.

[quote name='munch']I better be able to get out of my T-Mobile contract.[/QUOTE]

fuck yes. I hate the shitty service I get with T-Mobile now so anything to get me out of my contract and on Verizon so I can get the Thunderbolt before they get rid of unlimited data.

I've just recently been seeing many T-mobile ads ripping on ATT....

It's hilarious that they are buying them out....

[quote name='Rocko']Damn, that is awesome.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Damn Munch. I wish I moved up to that. I'm still grandfathered into a plan from before data plans existed.[/QUOTE]

I should have clarified that it was 1000 minutes shared. Still, I think it's a hell of a plan for the price. All I did was call and try to cancel so I could move to Virgin Mobile. It was a great move.

Years ago I was on t-mobile and the coverage in my area was terrible. A lot worse then AT&T. But that was years ago. Not sure how many years ago. I'm sure it's better now.

If this improves AT&T's coverage then I guess it's good for me. Less competition, though, so that's not good. I guess we shall see how it works out.

T-Mobile had the best prices for what I want out of phone plans and I would have considered switching over when my Verizon contract was up at the end of this year.. I'll have to wait and see like everyone else how this will be handled now.

[quote name='docvinh']Everyone seems to hate T-Mobile anyway, so I'm not sure why anyone would really be opposed to this.[/QUOTE]

This. Then again, evenone seems to complain over AT&T also so... ho-hum. Though if you have T-Mobile, this can only be a good thing.

Funny move. T-Mobile customers will not be getting the iPhone I read in a Q & A. Also T-Mobile has been using At&t's old towers for some time now. I heard Sprint was trying to buy Tmo but seems that fell through.

[quote name='Spanky']Funny move. T-Mobile customers will not be getting the iPhone I read in a Q & A. Also T-Mobile has been using At&t's old towers for some time now. I heard Sprint was trying to buy Tmo but seems that fell through.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they be able too? Wouldn't all T-mobile customer be AT&T customer going foward?

[quote name='DestroVega']How is this even allowed? The Sirius XM merger took forever to approve, and I'm sure this shit will just be wrapped up in a week. what a joke.[/QUOTE]It will take 12 months for it to be completed

[quote name='DestroVega']How is this even allowed? The Sirius XM merger took forever to approve, and I'm sure this shit will just be wrapped up in a week. what a joke.[/QUOTE]

Thats because they were the only 2 satellite radio companies. Now with them being one they had to go through some sort of thing to see if it was going to be a monopoly. Thats what I remember reading in an email that was to go to stock holders. I got that about a week before it was anounced.

[quote name='xycury']I've just recently been seeing many T-mobile ads ripping on ATT....

It's hilarious that they are buying them out....[/QUOTE]

Thats the funny thing to me. I like the ads but I think it is really just riping on the iPhone. Hope they keep them up but don't see that happening.

I had their prepaid stuff and didn't mind it. Only issue I had was when I first got it I wanted to keep my old number from tracfone. I was about 2 weeks on the phone with customer service and when I said the hell with it and gave everyone my new number they changed it. I ended up getting a text that I didn't expect and that my number was changed to my old number. However I have been told that the service for the pre paid is a lot better than the service for people that have a contract.

First AT&T wants to ruin DSL, now they are going to take over the phone market. How long until Verizon buys Sprint and we only have two phone companies?

from what I've read the deal still has to be approved by the Feds.

Regarding contracts, what I read said AT&T will honor existing t-mobile contracts until they expire and then users would have to get on an AT&T plan.

Moot for me as I've been with Verizon for years and have no complaints.

[quote name='kube00']Well out of the big 4 I thought Tmobile was dead last in coverage until a few years ago[/QUOTE]
I don't think they were dead last, but they were always #1 in customer service.

[quote name='blueweltall']Does this mean T-mobile customer will be able to get iphones now?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rocko']I love T-Mobile. :[

Hopefully this means I can either get out of my contract and move to Verizon, or maybe I can just get an iPhone now on T-Mobile.[/QUOTE]
They're not merged yet, so no.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']fuck yes. I hate the shitty service I get with T-Mobile now so anything to get me out of my contract and on Verizon so I can get the Thunderbolt before they get rid of unlimited data.[/QUOTE]
Verizon will probably drop unlimited data before the merger is complete.

[quote name='docvinh']Everyone seems to hate T-Mobile anyway, so I'm not sure why anyone would really be opposed to this.[/QUOTE]
I'd be willing to bet that most people on T-Mobile like T-Mobile. Kinda like how every carrier has their loyal and disgruntled customers.

[quote name='Chronis']This. Then again, evenone seems to complain over AT&T also so... ho-hum. Though if you have T-Mobile, this can only be a good thing.[/QUOTE]
Not if you like your current plan. I get 600 peak, n&w, 400 texts, and unlimited data for $51 after taxes. I'd like to see someone beat that with customer service on par with T-Mobile.

[quote name='giantqtipz']I'm pretty happy because t mobile coverage sucks. I can't get a signal in my campus in downtown nyc.. Wtf??? Even if I'm near a window[/QUOTE]
This sounds like bs. I'm guessing that the building your in and the buildings surrounding it block the signal, but the moment you're out in the open, I bet reception is fine.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Dammit. Hopefully this is going to be good for T-Mobile users. I still have like a year and a half with them.[/QUOTE]
If you like your plan, I'd lock it in for as long as possible when you start hearing rumors about eliminating current plans.

Noo no bs.. Why would I lie about frickin covergae -_-. But my friends with at&t can get a signal in the classrooms. I get an "x" as in no signal, while in the same classrooms as they are.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Noo no bs.. Why would I lie about frickin covergae -_-. But my friends with at&t can get a signal in the classrooms. I get an "x" as in no signal, while in the same classrooms as they are.[/QUOTE]
Thats why I said that if you go into an open area, reception gets better.

Also, 850mhz has better building penetration than any other frequency thats being used, which is what Att uses. Another explanation is that Att has a tower on campus, where as tmobile doesn't. Lack of service on your campus doesn't mean theres a lack of service everywhere. Service in NYC is more than sufficient. Att probably has a far less stable connection in NYC due to network congestion alone.

T-Mobile service may be ok, but I just don't like their line up of phones. Their stuff always seemed like it was targeted at kids or soccer moms to me. Verizon and Sprint, and now finally ATT, seem to have better phones.

[quote name='dohdough']Thats why I said that if you go into an open area, reception gets better.

Also, 850mhz has better building penetration than any other frequency thats being used, which is what Att uses. Another explanation is that Att has a tower on campus, where as tmobile doesn't. Lack of service on your campus doesn't mean theres a lack of service everywhere. Service in NYC is more than sufficient. Att probably has a far less stable connection in NYC due to network congestion alone.[/QUOTE]

All that matters is which carrier has the best coverage in the areas you use your phone the most. So having good reception indoors at home and work is key for most. So not really worth arguing over. Just go with whatever has the best coverage and pricing for your needs.

I stick with Verizon as I travel a good bit and they have the best coverage in most areas, and I've gotten full 4 bars both home and office everywhere I've lived since having their serivce.

Very few times traveling etc. I've been a place and not had a signal while my friends with AT&T, Sprint or T-mobile did have reception. Plus about 90% of my friends and family are on verizon so I'm kind of locked into the free in network calling anyway.

this is far from a done deal. this will probably be one of the most debated and controversial mergers ever. the DOJ and FCC both have to approve it. I would expect ultimately the deal will go through, but I would be shocked if the Obama administration did not add additional safeguards for the customers.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yes, less competition!

AMERICA fuck YEAH[/QUOTE]

ROFL !!!!

and the sheeple lose out once again....

This is extra funny because AT&T has been taking forever giving me my discount I get on their wireless service (workplace, 21% off). They keep 'losing the paperwork' and have to restart the whole process - classy AT&T. I threatened them I would run down the street to T-Mobile this weekend when I went back (and that got asses moving, seriously !). As of today that wouldn't make one ass move I guess - lol

One more thing, I wonder if AT&T will be opening up their frequency on their 3G network, since T-Mobiles goes something like 50-100hz higher (on one end of the spectrum). I have a hacked HD2 (T-Mobile Version) and use it on the AT&T Network knowing I cannot use the 3G EVER, since T-Mobiles 3G frequency range had a higher value on one end of the spectrum. I hope AT&T will raise theirs so I can turn on the data for my phone. I could use it on the Edge network.....but what's the point (dialup+ speeds)

Side note, if you buy the Austrailian version of the HD2, it supported both carrier's 3G spectrum in all its glory !

DDD-

[quote name='Chronis']This. Then again, evenone seems to complain over AT&T also so... ho-hum. Though if you have T-Mobile, this can only be a good thing.[/QUOTE]

T-Mobile and Sprint offer cheaper plans. I also have no problem with T-Mobile's service in my area.

Maybe here, but almost everyone is hating this merger if it does happen. Visit tech or mobile tech forums, not many are too happy about it.

[quote name='blueweltall']Why wouldn't they be able too? Wouldn't all T-mobile customer be AT&T customer going foward?[/QUOTE]

Maybe next year if the merger gets approved, otherwise, no iPhone for you.

Well, we'll see what happens. I wonder if they plan to turn T-Mobile into their bargain brand and keep the lower pricing for their plans, or they're going to absorb them completely. I was actually thinking about breaking my Verizon contract to move to T-Mobile, but I think I'm going to take the wait and see approach.

sigh, guess I'll have to wait and see what happens to my t-mobile plan. have my jailbroken iphone on t-mobile, 1000 minutes, unlimited data plan, and unlimited texts for $57, I'll ride that out till they merge.

Your 3G T-Mobile phone will be useless..

www.gizmodo.com/5783954/your-3g-t+mobile-phone-will-be-useless-after-att-merger

bread's done
Back