At what point do you fill your gas tank?

ECW_fan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
It seems every time I drive my wife's car the gas light is either on or pretty close to it. It sort of freaks me out, I have only ran out of gas once. There is always that fear in the back of my head, of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Is it just me or do more people fill up their tanks before the light comes on? Or is it a female thing? Just wondering.

[quote name='docvinh']I've run out of gas twice this year, trying to figure out how far I could go.:)[/QUOTE]

KRAMER!!!

Once I made it so far that the needle broke off...but then i blacked out. When I woke up I was in a ditch and the tank was full.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']at the half I stop the next time it's convenient.[/QUOTE]
same for me but when its less then 1/4

[quote name='sevdustflyer']Once I made it so far that the needle broke off...but then i blacked out. When I woke up I was in a ditch and the tank was full.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha

I go with the 1/4 filler up... danger is my middle name....

My car can go at least 40 miles (on the highway 30, off the highway for 10) with the red light on. I found that out cause my gas cap locked and wouldn't come off, so I had to drive it home in the middle of the night with the red light on the whole time. I've never run out of gas, even though the red light is frequently on for miles.

My gas light doesn't work (never has). I just fill up after about 240-260 miles (98 Civic). If I'm planning to drive more than 30 miles or so one way, I will probably fill up before I leave if it's below 1/4 tank.

I don't drive but if I did I would fill up when it got to less then a 1/4 a tank and not listen to the light. I know that some cars are off. We had a 2000 chevy malibu, my dad and I were in the middle of no where on a fishing trip and the gas needle was buried and the light was on for 50 miles before we found a place to get gas and we never ran out.

I fill up between 1/2 and 1/4....whenever its convinent in that area......right now im right in the middle of 1/2 and 1/4 but im going to cali (drop off at airport, live in PA) so i wont be driving until the 6th again, so when i get back, 1st time i go out ill fill it up...

I usually fill up between 1/4 and 1/8 of a tank of gas and it usually depends on my schedule for the day. If I've got a few hours between classes, I'll stop by the nearest stations and fill up. Luckily the two closest gas stations are the cheapest for a few miles around.

i used to let it run on fumes. i ran out at the pump a few times. but my current vehicle has a crappy gas meter(i ran out of gas when the meter actually said 1/4 tank). so once its close to a quarter, i fill it. if i had an accurate gauge, i'd let it get down to fumes.

close to E, there should be a much easier way to tell how much gas you got left. Sometime the shit moves all over the place and leaves me bamboozled.

You should always try to refill your tank when it is 1/2 empty. Condensation can form on the inside of the tank which can help produce rust and both spell disaster for a fuel pump and a motor.

And running out of gas is the worst thing to do to a fuel pump so avoid it at all costs.

I am scared of running out of gas. I commute 26 miles each way to my work (with almost nothing in between) and don't feel like walking. If I'm just above 1/4 tank before leaving, I know I can make it back before that red light comes on. Otherwise, I don't test my luck.

This may be a myth, but I figure you have about a gallon left when that red light comes on, therefore, I can drive ~30 miles before I run out. Never really tested it, though...

Once the empty light comes on, I have ~50 miles left before I run out of gas. So I usually fill up 48 miles after the light comes on (tank holds 14 gallons... usually when I fill it up, it takes 13.5 gallons).

[quote name='ECW_fan']It seems every time I drive my wife's car the gas light is either on or pretty close to it. It sort of freaks me out, I have only ran out of gas once. There is always that fear in the back of my head, of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Is it just me or do more people fill up their tanks before the light comes on? Or is it a female thing? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

It's a wife thing. Everytime I get in my wifes car the yellow light is on.

Its a bad idea to let your car get below 1/4 tank. I can't explain it really, but its bad. And since I live in Minnesota, I don't let it get below half a tank in the winter.

[quote name='ECW_fan']It seems every time I drive my wife's car the gas light is either on or pretty close to it. It sort of freaks me out, I have only ran out of gas once. There is always that fear in the back of my head, of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Is it just me or do more people fill up their tanks before the light comes on? Or is it a female thing? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]
Actually, it's a guy thing...

[quote name='Quackzilla']Actually, it's a guy thing...[/QUOTE]

Yea, thanks for admitting to this. It was a favorite trick of an ex-boyfriend...

Personally, I try to fill the gas tank when it is down to 1/4 full. You never know when you are going to get stuck in traffic....

I do it when the light comes on, since there's usually at least good 40-50 miles left. Exception is when I'm in the middle of nowhere, of course.

bread's done
Back