ATI 512M Radeon HD4850 $115AR w/ FS from Newegg

It's one thing to buy a 360 game from them, it's another to trust them with a more expensive tech purchase. I just wanted to let people know they are trustworthy.

Yep I build computers in my spare time and Newegg is now the only place I buy my parts. They are always the cheapest, best shipping and customer service, as well as the best quality stuff on the market. I always sing Newegg's praises when I get the chance. Good stuff.

Also, that's a pretty decent card for the money. Put 2 of those in crossfire and you got yourself a nice little set up. Personally, I love Nvidia cards (just my preference) and I have 2 9800GTX+'s running in SLI. Great boost in gaming performance for the money if you can get two cards running in one rig.

I picked up two 4830s from newegg for Xfire for less than $85 each. Together they benchmark better than a 4870, and the 4850 is a little better than the 4830. The only problem is get the instant rebate the mail in ones are a pain and I'm still waiting on a few of them.

very nice card, not too bad either, and with Nvidia's new flagship shipping, these cards should drop too.

I wouldn't be surprised if this dipped >$100 soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if this dipped >$100 soon.
It's already >$100.... And I doubt it'd go below $100 soon.

This is a worthy price for the card. I use one of these and while it only moderately boosted my performance I believe that is because my low processor cache is holding me back now. This did allow me to use effects like motion blur without a significant hit to framerates where before this was not possible.

definitely... the 4850 is at a great price/performance threshold. I bought one at launch last year for $150 thanks to a Best Buy pricing glitch and it brought a lot of life back to my 3 year old Pentium D system. The only thing to keep in mind is it does take power from your PS (so you'll need to plug it in, like many higher end cards) and it's about 9-10" long, so it may not fit well in smaller cases.

What are the pros and cons of SLI(nvidia) vs Crossfire(ATI)?

I have been out of pc gaming for awhile(still rocking an AGP Geforce 4 TI 4600 lol)

Looking to upgrade my system to play most games on the highest settings(well probably not Crysis)

I can't find any threads on putting together a cheap PC.

IMHO, SLI isn't worth the trouble.

The NVIDIA chipset for my SLI-capable ASUS mobo is buggy as hell and I'll probably never end up putting in a second card (the board was cheap, which is why I bought it). You also need two identical cards (correct me if I'm wrong), and my version of the 8800 GT is more expensive than newer, more powerful NVIDIA cards.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']What are the pros and cons of SLI(nvidia) vs Crossfire(ATI)?

I have been out of pc gaming for awhile(still rocking an AGP Geforce 4 TI 4600 lol)

Looking to upgrade my system to play most games on the highest settings(well probably not Crysis)

I can't find any threads on putting together a cheap PC.[/quote]

I'm currently running 2x 8800GT 512MB versions in SLi and even though the performance gain is there and pretty much every game I run it on is stable to the tea (except for Mount & Blade which for some reason BSODs in SLi mode), I personally would not recommend it as the cost per performance gain ratio and compatability headacke are not worth it. You're better off spending on a slightly more expensive card then on a planing on getting two lessers cards to SLi or Crossfire. The only reason I bought another 8800GT to SLi was because I was interested in seeing how the system worked and how it performed (heat etc.)

Oh and $115AR for the 4850 is pretty decent deal. My friend paid about $200 last year for his. And at around $100 is pretty much where this type of video card will end up flat lining in price after when newer iterations/models come out, so it's not going to get that much cheaper.

[quote name='Serik']IMHO, SLI isn't worth the trouble.

The NVIDIA chipset for my SLI-capable ASUS mobo is buggy as hell and I'll probably never end up putting in a second card (the board was cheap, which is why I bought it). You also need two identical cards (correct me if I'm wrong), and my version of the 8800 GT is more expensive than newer, more powerful NVIDIA cards.[/quote]

Hate to disagree with you but my old system 6000+ 2X8600GT and now my new system 940BE X4 4830 Xfire were well worth the build especially with more games Crysis/NFS/COD supporting dual cards. When I built the 8600gt sli
I got both card for around $75 and at the time would smoke any game except crysis in max settings. My new system with Xfire maxes out every single game on the market and is as smooth as silk. I picked up both 4830s for around $75-$80 after MIR. Thats cheaper and faster than a 4870.

[quote name='pun123']Hate to disagree with you but my old system 6000+ 2X8600GT and now my new system 940BE X4 4830 Xfire were well worth the build especially with more games Crysis/NFS/COD supporting dual cards. When I built the 8600gt sli
I got both card for around $75 and at the time would smoke any game except crysis in max settings. My new system with Xfire maxes out every single game on the market and is as smooth as silk. I picked up both 4830s for around $75-$80 after MIR. Thats cheaper and faster than a 4870.[/QUOTE]

Only GOD can run Crysis: Warhead at max settings. :D

[quote name='Pck21']Yep I build computers in my spare time and Newegg is now the only place I buy my parts. They are always the cheapest, best shipping and customer service, as well as the best quality stuff on the market. I always sing Newegg's praises when I get the chance. Good stuff.

Also, that's a pretty decent card for the money. Put 2 of those in crossfire and you got yourself a nice little set up. Personally, I love Nvidia cards (just my preference) and I have 2 9800GTX+'s running in SLI. Great boost in gaming performance for the money if you can get two cards running in one rig.[/quote]

I build computers for myself and others, and although Newegg is a fantastic site, you're severely limiting yourself if you only purchase from them. And by the way, they don't even come close to ALWAYS having the cheapest prices. Spend some time messing around on www.pricewatch.com. I'm often able to top Newegg's deals...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102719

depending on you purpose the 3870 is "almost" the same and a little cheaper especially after rebate, and runs cooler and quieter,I recently got 3870 and still playing on crt so 1024x768 it is rockin anything I throw at it playing Crysis with direct x 10, Prince of Persia as well.......... it isn't bleeding edge 3870 is top end last gen 4850 is mid range this gen...both cards should be good.

[quote name='Esoteria']It's already >$100.... And I doubt it'd go below $100 soon.

This is a worthy price for the card. I use one of these and while it only moderately boosted my performance I believe that is because my low processor cache is holding me back now. This did allow me to use effects like motion blur without a significant hit to framerates where before this was not possible.[/quote]

Sorry meant

[quote name='opportunity777']Only GOD can run Crysis: Warhead at max settings. :D[/QUOTE]
don't forget Chuck Norris....and he doesn't even need a video card to do it

[quote name='opportunity777']Only GOD can run Crysis: Warhead at max settings. :D[/quote]

Well then call me god.......J/K

specs

940 X4 BE at 3.5ghz
4GB at 1066
4830 Xfire at 600/900
Max settings in Crysis, no hiccups at all.

bread's done
Back