ATI 9250 PCI card for only $29.99 AR

This is a great card for anyone who bought those cheap $399 Dells with no AGP slot. My GF is getting one so she can play the Sims 2 properly.

Not that good of a card (even for PCI), but it'll get the job done and the price is pretty reasonable. At least it'll play GPU-lenient games like Half-life 2 and older games fairly well, but Doom 3 and Far Cry are pretty much out of the question.

I love the "Graphics By Nvidia" logo they have next to it on that page though, I didn't know Nvidia was making ATI cards now :D

For PCI video cards, which pretty much have died off, the best you're going to find these days is a ATI Radeon 9250 or a Nvidia Geforce FX 5700. Not stunning by any sense of the word, but if you have no AGP slots, you're pretty much screwed anyway for decent graphics performance.

well i mean for that price it isnt a bad deal. I have the ati 9200 and it plays farcry. Not great but it plays it. So i mean if you are looking for a cheap vid card this isnt a bad choice

Thanks for the heads-up. I got a Dell for Christmas that doesn't have an AGP slot, so I might grab one of these. The only bad thing is that from my experience, CompUSA rebates take a very long time.

right now i have that 256 meg bfgtech 5200, how does this card compare to my current one? and also how does it compare to the apollo 5700le? im looking to upgrade my card, and was looking at the 5700

[quote name='severednow']right now i have that 256 meg bfgtech 5200, how does this card compare to my current one? and also how does it compare to the apollo 5700le? im looking to upgrade my card, and was looking at the 5700[/quote]

The 9250 is a card on-par with the 5200, though it does Direct X 8.1 a little bit better. It doesn't do DirectX 9, though the DirectX 9 on the 5200 is laughable. The 5700LE at least does DX9 OK, though for PCI, there aren't many choices.

[quote name='groupiezsuck']How well will this play HL2? Med? Low?[/quote]

Low on middle resolutions, and medium on low resolutions.

[quote name='opportunity777']They build computers without AGP slots? ;)

I have a PII that even has an AGP slot on it ... :p[/quote]

Computers with the 810e chipset (Pentium III-type) and 845G (Penitum4-type), as well as 865G (Penitum4-style) came without AGP slots, because they came with built-in graphics for low-end PC's.

[quote name='shrike4242']Computers with the 810e chipset (Pentium III-type) and 845G (Penitum4-type), as well as 865G (Penitum4-style) came without AGP slots, because they came with built-in graphics for low-end PC's.[/quote]

Nit-picking here, but the 845G and 865G do have external AGP graphics support in them (and in the same vein the 915G has external PCI-express graphics support). To be more precise you actually mean the 845GL, 845GV, 865GV, 910GL, 915GL, 915GV don't support any external AGP/PCIe graphics.

[quote name='Nogib'][quote name='shrike4242']Computers with the 810e chipset (Pentium III-type) and 845G (Penitum4-type), as well as 865G (Penitum4-style) came without AGP slots, because they came with built-in graphics for low-end PC's.[/quote]

Nit-picking here, but the 845G and 865G do have external AGP graphics support in them (and in the same vein the 915G has external PCI-express graphics support). To be more precise you actually mean the 845GL, 845GV, 865GV, 910GL, 915GL, 915GV don't support any external AGP/PCIe graphics.[/quote]

Point made with my post, strained out to the exact answer with the post above. :D

I've been looking at cheap graphics cards. Hate to spend a lot on a PCI card, this seems to be as good a deal as I've found. Thanks OP!

I have a Black Friday Emachine T2893 (can't complain, paid 200 bucks after rebate) that doesn't have AGP.

I'd have to seriously consider this. Any reason I shouldn't?

ewww it's a Maddog! May want to think twice, people including myself have had trouble with their rebates. I just got a rebate for their soundcard a couple of weeks ago that I sent in September!

Yeah, MadDog rebates also take a long time. I didn't check to see whether this rebate went through MadDog or CompUSA, but either way, expect a long, long wait. I just received a MadDog rebate last week from a DVD burner I bought in September as well.

I guess the good thing is, that the rebates actually do finally show up with these two companies.

Yeah, junk card, but about the best you can do without an AGP slot.

Good buy for an AGP-less PC, bad buy for AGP. Funny how that works.

I know that it isn't the best AGP card but it would be better than the S3 crap built into my wife's Emachine. $30 is damn cheap.

If you want a cheap AGP card, you don't want to get a cruddy 9250. The 9000 and 9200 are both MUCH worse than the 8500 and its slower rebadge, the 9100.

I suggest a refurb Crucial Radeon 9100 here for $37:

http://www.crucial.com/store/refurb.asp
(The CTRFBV9100128A5 is the bestter 9100 because it has 5ns memory over the 6ns in the other one.)

or
http://www.buy.com/retail/clearance/product.asp?sku=70012545&loc=114&product=

Here. a ti4200se for $55. The ti card will actually even play doom 3 on low @ 640x480, ditto for the 9100 (a slightly de-clocked Radeon 8500).

The TI4200 can run Doom 3 at higher settings than that, I played at medium on 800x600 without much trouble. The 9100 might not fare quite as well though.

bread's done
Back