Ati or nvidia ?

squishface

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey pc guys and gals. So what is in your rig right now ati or nvidia ?
Just curious on who prefers one over the other .

I currently have an ati card atm but with my build coming at some point in the spring. I'm now thinking and researching on if I should continue with ati or go back to nvidia.

I will edit this once on my computer to get the specs on my current card.

I have 8 desktops in my home that are used for gaming by various members of the family. I have 7 on Nvidia and 1 on ATI. For me it's about two things - 1) Price and 2) Support.

My home is all Linux so we prefer Nividia since they work best for 90% of the games out there plus they are cheap.

My oldest daughter prefers ATI because there is a game that she enjoys that has an issue with Nvidia cards but not with ATI.

I've preferred Nvidia for the last 4-5 years. AMD's drivers aren't as awful as they used to be, but they still lag behind whenever a new game comes out, whereas Nvidia will have their drivers ready to go at launch, or a couple days after. Add that to the fact that most (not all, I know) games usually perform better from the get go on Nvidia GPU's it's really an easy choice for me.

I've preferred Nvidia for the last 4-5 years. AMD's drivers aren't as awful as they used to be, but they still lag behind whenever a new game comes out, whereas Nvidia will have their drivers ready to go at launch, or a couple days after. Add that to the fact that most (not all, I know) games usually perform better from the get go on Nvidia GPU's it's really an easy choice for me.
Lol. AMD and Nvidia have their own connections to game companies and adapt their software for optimization with each respectively. It all depends on what you're playing, as indicated by the thousands of different benchmark scores posted all over the internet. There is no right choice with a graphics card, only a best choice for your computer and the games you want to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I been Pro Nvidia since 2003......The new build I thought about switching to ATI but at the last second stuck it out with EVGA Nvidia.  I started off with ATI but got really pissed off after two or 3 cards and having nothing but buggy drivers for several generations.

Using a Radeon Sapphire 9750 3GB and have been happy with it.  Prior to that I was using some Nvidia card (550Ti?) and was happy enough with that for its price.  I don't have any particular preference or allegiance, just what looks like it'll give me the best performance within my price range when I buy it.  If the next time I upgrade, that's Nvidia then that's what I'll get.

My primary PC is a notebook, so it's even less of a choice than with desktops...Nvidia.  AMD makes great hardware too, but their drivers have always been sub par.  I don't understand why it's okay to  say that now (when they're actually probably less sub-par than they have been) but it wasn't 10, 15 years ago when the issues were just as bad if not worse LOL

Anyway, I fully respect AMD's hardware as also awesome, but I just don't have issues with Nvidia drivers, going all the way back to the TNT 1 in 1997/8ish. 

For notebooks, Nvidia has for years tried to get it so any notebook can just install their regular (notebook) drivers, BUT even today not all notebooks can, and in fact the Alienware Alpha desktop can't install Nvidia's drivers, making it worthless (nice job Dell). 

On top of that, while Nvidia's Optimus works better than I expected, it still causes issues, and is IMO pointless at best, and it's SUPER hard to find notebooks that  don't use it.  My 2013 Alienware it's togglable, but that's not the case for most.  AMD's Enduro is their equivalent, and...yeah, it works as well as you'd expect, which is not at all.  Even with Optimus I'm getting semi-frequent crashes in Dead Rising 2 and Assassin's Creed III.

I wish integrated video had never happened.  Intel's GPUs are less of a joke than ever, but if you care about games at all, you want a dedicated GPU, and at that point you DON'T want Optimus/Enduro, and you DON'T want hundreds of millions of transistors spent on a redundant GPU on the CPU, which could instead be extra cores!

So yeah, the whole situation pisses me off.  Less awful if you're on a desktop, but I realistically need a notebook, so get to struggle each time to find one that takes Nvidia's normal drivers and doesn't have Optimus *sigh*.

Using a Radeon Sapphire 9750 3GB and have been happy with it.
That is freaking me out that I know by 9750 of course you mean a recent card, but I first thought back to the 9700 series from like what, over TEN YEARS AGO? It's so funny the numbers have lapped themselves :lol:

My primary PC is a notebook, so it's even less of a choice than with desktops...Nvidia. AMD makes great hardware too, but their drivers have always been sub par. I don't understand why it's okay to say that now (when they're actually probably less sub-par than they have been) but it wasn't 10, 15 years ago when the issues were just as bad if not worse LOL

Anyway, I fully respect AMD's hardware as also awesome, but I just don't have issues with Nvidia drivers, going all the way back to the TNT 1 in 1997/8ish.

For notebooks, Nvidia has for years tried to get it so any notebook can just install their regular (notebook) drivers, BUT even today not all notebooks can, and in fact the Alienware Alpha desktop can't install Nvidia's drivers, making it worthless (nice job Dell).

On top of that, while Nvidia's Optimus works better than I expected, it still causes issues, and is IMO pointless at best, and it's SUPER hard to find notebooks that don't use it. My 2013 Alienware it's togglable, but that's not the case for most. AMD's Enduro is their equivalent, and...yeah, it works as well as you'd expect, which is not at all. Even with Optimus I'm getting semi-frequent crashes in Dead Rising 2 and Assassin's Creed III.

I wish integrated video had never happened. Intel's GPUs are less of a joke than ever, but if you care about games at all, you want a dedicated GPU, and at that point you DON'T want Optimus/Enduro, and you DON'T want hundreds of millions of transistors spent on a redundant GPU on the CPU, which could instead be extra cores!

So yeah, the whole situation pisses me off. Less awful if you're on a desktop, but I realistically need a notebook, so get to struggle each time to find one that takes Nvidia's normal drivers and doesn't have Optimus *sigh*.
no serious person would game on a laptop, if they want a good gaming experience. unless all you play is mobas and minecraft. laptop just doesn't work. also any person who is knowledgeable will tell you alienwares pre-built are crap, you are better off building your own pc. if you really need a laptop for mobility work purposes. just get like a $200 chrome book or windows laptop

That is freaking me out that I know by 9750 of course you mean a recent card, but I first thought back to the 9700 series from like what, over TEN YEARS AGO? It's so funny the numbers have lapped themselves :lol:
Whoops, typo on my part since it's a 7950. I don't think "9750" is a recent designation.

Have only used nvidia cards.  Currently trying to burn out my GTX 460 so I can get something new, but i'm not terribly enthused with the pricing on the 9xx range.  While previously I would be looking for something in the $200 sweet spot range, with the new build (i5-4690K) i'm thinking about investing a bit more into a gpu after being kinda underwhelmed by the 960.  The 970 snafu has made me question the next logical step, and the 980 is out of my budget, so for the first time i'm looking at AMD stuff.

So now I just have to decide between variations of the 280, 280x, 285, 290, and 290x.   :oldman:   Oh, and whatever AMD announces next week or whenever the 300s come out.  I hate choices.

Have only used nvidia cards. Currently trying to burn out my GTX 460 so I can get something new, but i'm not terribly enthused with the pricing on the 9xx range. While previously I would be looking for something in the $200 sweet spot range, with the new build (i5-4690K) i'm thinking about investing a bit more into a gpu after being kinda underwhelmed by the 960. The 970 snafu has made me question the next logical step, and the 980 is out of my budget, so for the first time i'm looking at AMD stuff.

So now I just have to decide between variations of the 280, 280x, 285, 290, and 290x. :oldman: Oh, and whatever AMD announces next week or whenever the 300s come out. I hate choices.
i would wait till the 300s announcement for release date to come out, before deciding on graphics , if you do plan on going amd

i would wait till the 300s announcement for release date to come out, before deciding on graphics , if you do plan on going amd
Yeah, definitely planning on waiting. The price difference between the current R9 cards is so small that a 290x is actually in my budget...but would also require a new PSU...which I probably should should do anyway...but if i'm ripping my psu out, i'll want to throw the whole thing into a new case...and now i'm over budget...again.

Yeah, definitely planning on waiting. The price difference between the current R9 cards is so small that a 290x is actually in my budget...but would also require a new PSU...which I probably should should do anyway...but if i'm ripping my psu out, i'll want to throw the whole thing into a new case...and now i'm over budget...again.
i would def keep an eye on newegg. they have alot of pc cases on sale for cheap around $30-40. and some of them are originally $50-60 cases for that price after rebate.

I have actually found some items cheaper on Amazon with the free shipping . I order from both places though. Use the promo deals from newegg and the get the free shipping items if they are cheaper from Amazon . All I need to do now is pick out some ram and how much of a ssd I want . Leaning towards nvidia this build .

I have actually found some items cheaper on Amazon with the free shipping . I order from both places though. Use the promo deals from newegg and the get the free shipping items if they are cheaper from Amazon . All I need to do now is pick out some ram and how much of a ssd I want . Leaning towards nvidia this build .
for ssd you only need 120 gb for os install. unless you plan to install movies / games/ software on to a ssd. newegg has the best prices on ram. unless you are planning to do video editing, and twitch stream. you don't need more than 8gb of ram. if you only game, and do the mundane everyday task like surfing web, and stream off netflix. you only need ddr3 1600 8 gb at most, and that is still a bit too much.

newegg currently has it for $55

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

for SSd samsung evo 850 is the best rated, with crucuial mx100 coming in second, because afforable pricing and less years in warranty.

for ssd you only need 120 gb for os install. unless you plan to install movies / games/ software on to a ssd. newegg has the best prices on ram. unless you are planning to do video editing, and twitch stream. if you only game, and do the mundane everyday task like surfing web, and stream off netflix. you only need ddr3 1600 8 gb at most, and that is still a bit too much.
newegg currently has it for $55

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

for SSd samsung evo 850 is the best rated, with crucuial mx100 coming in second, because afforable pricing and less years in warranty.
I will check that out thanks. Yeah I plan on installing games and such on there as well . I have a wd raptor I can use for my backup secondary drive. It is currently my primary with a black edition as back up.

I will check that out thanks. Yeah I plan on installing games and such on there as well . I have a wd raptor I can use for my backup secondary drive. It is currently my primary with a black edition as back up.
than you work probably need atleast 500gb for now, because game file size are getting larger , along with dlc/patches. if money is not an issue for you. i would recommend samsung evo 850. if it is i recommend crucial mx100 .

amazon has 850 evo on sale

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) $179.99 is the lowest price it has ever been. i would jump on it

no serious person would game on a laptop, if they want a good gaming experience. unless all you play is mobas and minecraft. laptop just doesn't work. also any person who is knowledgeable will tell you alienwares pre-built are crap, you are better off building your own pc. if you really need a laptop for mobility work purposes. just get like a $200 chrome book or windows laptop
You can game on anything when it comes to computers. I have a lot of netbooks and laptops. My most recent acquire is a HP DV7 that I got for free. I play Killing Floor, L4D 2, Serious Sam 3, AssaultCube, HL2: DM, Runner 2 + more plus a ton of emulated games on that .

No such thing a "good gaming experience" - You game as you like with that you got. If YOU want to experience something different then you go the route you like.

You can game on anything when it comes to computers. I have a lot of netbooks and laptops. My most recent acquire is a HP DV7 that I got for free. I play Killing Floor, L4D 2, Serious Sam 3, AssaultCube, HL2: DM, Runner 2 + more plus a ton of emulated games on that .

No such thing a "good gaming experience" - You game as you like with that you got. If YOU want to experience something different then you go the route you like.
the game you listed are old. trying gaming newer games like metro last light, and battlefield 4 multiplayer on that laptop you listed, and come back to me and tell me your experience.

the game you listed are old. trying gaming newer games like metro last light, and battlefield 4 multiplayer on that laptop you listed, and come back to me and tell me your experience.
Why would I play games I am not interested in?

Last edited:
That is the most narrow minded thing I've read in a while. You're mocking laptops for gaming yet suggesting a chromebook for business use. WTF is wrong with people? The only issue with a laptop is the lack of any reasonable ability to upgrade the video card without purchasing a whole new setup. Some people simply have to choose one or the other and the laptop wins because it can game and is portable. Your comment would be more intellectual if you qualified it further by saying no one looks at high end gaming on laptops (i.e. 4k).

Before moving, I chose AMD because nVidia sucked for doing >2 monitors. This may not be the case any longer but I also do not have the space for my triple monitor gaming setup any longer and ended up with a single monitor for gaming and nVidia. Laptop gaming - nVidia.

However, I would never, ever spend the money on a Titan card. Simply not worth it. Still have my 7970 running solo now...and a 750ti for my portable system. This may be the time I look at upping that 750ti since I want to use that system for GTA V.

bread's done
Back