ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-E

greenbags125

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was wondering whether a 256mb ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-E card is a worthy purchase. How much do you guys think its worth and is it worth it in its price range. Thanks for any input. I just don't want to buy a video card and have it become obsolete in a few months.

[quote name='greenbags125']I just don't want to buy a video card and have it become obsolete in a few months.[/QUOTE]

thats usually how it works. i guess you could get the best bang for your buck though.

wait a few weeks until the Christmas rush picks up. I bet there are going to be some good deals the day after thanksgiving and building up until Christmas. A few days ago I saw the 7800 GT for 299 shipped on FW or SD so it continues to drop steadily over the past few weeks.

Also you may want to look into the connect3d GTO. It can be overclocked to very fast speeds and is fairly cheap (around 150). The only problem is the success rate is nothing like that of the GTO2 (which works 100 percent from what I have read) but still has a really high sucess rate.

I have one in my comp right now, the ATI's own version. It is a great card bought it back when it first came out earlier this year. I think I paid $240 for it through a FW deal where ATI had a 20% off coupon. Don't know what it would be worth now that next gen ATI cards are coming out. But it runs all the big recent games well, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Far Cry. I haven't tried it on the brand new games like FEAR, AOE3 or Quake 4.

[quote name='greenbags125'] I just don't want to buy a video card and have it become obsolete in a few months.[/QUOTE]

Dont listen to other people, more like graphic card freaks. I have a ATi Radeon 700064MB PCI card, and it is consider obsolete from the world's point of view, but it works good with me. So that card which you are talking about, go grab it and have fun.

Just make sure you find a cheap one.

[quote name='U2K Tha Greate$t']Dont listen to other people, more like graphic card freaks. I have a ATi Radeon 700064MB PCI card, and it is consider obsolete from the world's point of view, but it works good with me. So that card which you are talking about, go grab it and have fun.

Just make sure you find a cheap one.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

the video card hes talking about isnt a piece of shit like yours is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102543

[quote name='U2K Tha Greate$t']Almost 300 bucks for a damn video card?

WTF, HAHAHHA. NO way man, skip that and pick this one up:
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200/[/QUOTE]
You sir, are a dumbass.
[quote name='Your Ati.com link']Overview
Radeon® 9200 technology is available in three product configurations: Radeon® 9250, Radeon® 9200, and Radeon® 9200SE. The Radeon® 9200 is available in both AGP and PCI bus configurations[/QUOTE]

Yeah, do. Then somehow figure out how to make it fucking fit in a PCI-E slot on your mobo.:dunce:

Thanks for your input. I currently have a ATI X300SE that came with my computer. It can run Half life 2 no prob but with a bit of a frame rate hiccup. I just really wanted Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 but I didn't want to spend the money for a Xbox360. I was doing a bit of research and it looks like this card fits the board. Just to be clear, I have a PCI-E motherboard.

[quote name='supadupacheap']You sir, are a dumbass.
[/QUOTE]
No he's not. The 9200 is better than anything out there when it's OC'D BY GOD!

My personal pick for best bang for the buck AT THIS VERY MOMENT would be the Nvidia 7800 GT.

I currently have a X800XL that I bought earlier this year, and while I can run all the newest games, I can't run them at the resolution or AA/AF that I would prefer.

It's all relative, but the X800XL will be able to play all the newest games you mentioned--it's the amount of eye candy that really makes the choice yours.

And finally, DO NOT listen to U2K--he's already shown he's an idiot by his posts in this thread. Obviously not a PC gamer if he thinks a 9200 can run Q4 or COD2 at a respectable framerate.

I think the 78OOGT is an awesome card but best bang for the buck, uh, no. If you can find a reasonably priced Sapphire GTO2 it crushes the 78OOGT value wise. (freaking near XT PE levels for $200!)
Since you cant anymore (they are too hot) the next best on the value chart is the Connect3d X800 GTO. I personally bought this and its amazing for the dollar spent. The unlocks are all but guaranteed (2 of the 6 failures (vs. 60+ successes since Nov. 3rd) have been overseas vendors cards (1 belgian, 1 german IIRC) and that puts you near the XL levels. If you get proper cooling and OC the card you can see stuff in the XT range. (close but not quite there) This is all from a $150 card!
I love the 7800 GT, I do. I wanted to own one. But the best deals for it still being around $300 and my Connect3d doing plenty fine for 1/2 the value made it a waste. (especially since Im not high res'ing anything because of my CRT) Ill save that extra $150-$175 for something else later on.

Now this is obviously a insane (and watercooled) overclock of this card (its flashed up to an 800XT, see it? ;-)) Look at the 3dMark. 6800+. Check out Tom's really quick...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-02.html#3d_mark_2005

GeForce 6600GT Sli = 6465
Radeon x850XT PE = 6211
Radeon x800XT PE = 6041
Radeon x850XT = 5925
Radeon x800XT = 5720

Now Ill be the first to admit that 6800 isnt a stable over a long gaming session type of 6800. But it has shown consistant ability to open the pipes and hit the mid-upper 5's - low to mid 6's (if OCed). Thats incredible value right there.

[quote name='2poor']what does that all mean?[/QUOTE]
It means you are getting the performance of much better cards for substantially less money. In games the difference between say an X800XT and an X850XT wont be huge. So why then spend more money if you arent all high on getting super scores?
The trick is value. The C3D card is right up there in value with the GTO2 Sapphire. As its impossible to get one for a reasonable price these days, the C3d is very appealing.

[quote name='greenbags125']I was wondering whether a 256mb ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-E card is a worthy purchase. How much do you guys think its worth and is it worth it in its price range. Thanks for any input. I just don't want to buy a video card and have it become obsolete in a few months.[/QUOTE]
I garauntee you that wont be obsolete for at least 4 years.

I have a 9700 Pro and it can take Doom and FEAR at 1280x1024 with about 20FPS. Not stellar, but its sufficient until I can upgrade to a PCI-E mobo. WoW runs at 1280x1024 at 40fps with AAx2. However, when I'm in 40 man instances, the fps can bottom out at 6fps or less.

[quote name='greenbags125']Thank you very much. I think I might go with the Nvidia 7800 GT. If any of you have any further suggestions, I will gladly accept it.[/QUOTE]

I have the BFG Nvidia 7800GT
I play CS:S, Half-Life and demos
from King Kong to SW Battlefront II at the
Highest Settings with no problem.
I have played all of the newest

So if you can afford it get this and
you will be able to play anything
current and in the future.

Also BFG has a lifetime warranty
so if anything goes wrong
send it back to get fixed or replaced

[quote name='supadupacheap']I think the 78OOGT is an awesome card but best bang for the buck, uh, no. If you can find a reasonably priced Sapphire GTO2 it crushes the 78OOGT value wise. (freaking near XT PE levels for $200!)
Since you cant anymore (they are too hot) the next best on the value chart is the Connect3d X800 GTO. I personally bought this and its amazing for the dollar spent. The unlocks are all but guaranteed (2 of the 6 failures (vs. 60+ successes since Nov. 3rd) have been overseas vendors cards (1 belgian, 1 german IIRC) and that puts you near the XL levels. If you get proper cooling and OC the card you can see stuff in the XT range. (close but not quite there) This is all from a $150 card!
I love the 7800 GT, I do. I wanted to own one. But the best deals for it still being around $300 and my Connect3d doing plenty fine for 1/2 the value made it a waste. (especially since Im not high res'ing anything because of my CRT) Ill save that extra $150-$175 for something else later on.[/QUOTE]

If the OP was asking about OC's and Unlocking pipes, etc--there is no doubt I'd offer a few different suggestions, including the recently new GTO2 to XTPE unlock.

However, given the general nature of the situation, I tend to go with the safer reccomendation--in other words, something that will work for the general public right out of the box.

That being said, I still stand by the reccomendation of the 7800GT--you get a newer hardware design than the X800 series, out of the box performance and are within 2-5% performance wise of the 7800GTX, all for alot less money.

Look into the eVGA 7800GT CO edition--it's been benched to show only about a 3-5 Frame Per Second dropoff when compared to the GTX model, for alot less money.

[quote name='headpiece747']I have the BFG Nvidia 7800GT
I play CS:S, Half-Life and demos
from King Kong to SW Battlefront II at the
Highest Settings with no problem.
I have played all of the newest

So if you can afford it get this and
you will be able to play anything
current and in the future.

Also BFG has a lifetime warranty
so if anything goes wrong
send it back to get fixed or replaced[/QUOTE]

My god, he writes in verse!