Atlus announces Steal Princess (isometric platformer/puzzle) May 19

Dr Mario Kart

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Trailer (you may have to mute it to get through it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzAZX7M2vo

North American Site:
http://www.atlus.com/stealprincess

15n63c6.jpg

qoboeu.jpg

2i09h6f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, all these Atlus DS titles are killing me!! Still don't know if I should wait until it drops to $20 or pick it up at $30. :whistle2:(

[quote name='punkmaggit']Man, all these Atlus DS titles are killing me!! Still don't know if I should wait until it drops to $20 or pick it up at $30. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

knowing it is an atlus portable game means that it will be amazon DOTD sooner or later

If VG+ has the game for £20 or less, I'll place a pre-order. I just wish they'd release Sting's Knights in the Nightmare already, but I guess this is cool for now.

Gap between Japanese & American releases for the other Dept. Heaven games.

Riviera: 7 months
Yggdra Union: 8 months
Knights in the Nightmare: Released end of Sept '08 - under 4 months ago.

Q2 if we're lucky?

Bumping this up because it's been pushed to a May 19 release, though I hadn't heard of it before I got a press release about the delay today.

It seems that they're adding a mini-poster to the package that will be tucked behind the cover art, the picture in Kotaku's article is what will be on that poster.

Atlus mentioned in their newsletter today:

Steal Princess is going to be a limited launch, even by Atlus standards (zing!). It won't be available through all the usual channels, and as such, interested fans are encouraged to pre-order to guarantee their copies.
Now...to preorder or wait till the DOTD :wall:

Btw, included in every copy of the game is this mini-poster spoil:
stealprincess_miniposter_small_stroke.png

I went ahead and pre-ordered this too. It looks like a ton of fun tbh and if it's as limited as they say it will be, then I'm not going to second guess my pre-order.

man I'm hyped as shyt for this game.

I already pre-ordered it back when... now I'm sad I gotta wait a bit more...

my wallet's not too sad tho lol.

So... anyone know if this is coming with anything other than a mini-poster? I assumed a soundtrack, as has been the trend, given the $34.99 price tag... but I see no mention of it anywhere??

I was kinda anticipating a very limited release on this one as was the case with My World My Way. I've got it pre-ordered at work, so I'm just hoping we get them.

[quote name='PleasantOne']So... anyone know if this is coming with anything other than a mini-poster? I assumed a soundtrack, as has been the trend, given the $34.99 price tag... but I see no mention of it anywhere??[/quote]
Art book and soundtrack.

KiN_glamshot_600.jpg

yeay my amazon copy shipped.

that means SRW OG Saga gonna get the shelf...

unless I finish this game and have time to kill until Devil Survivor.

So has anyone played this yet? I finally saw a copy for sale somewhere (at an FYE) and was wondering if I should take a chance on it.

[quote name='JEKKI']my honest opinion on this game...

it's one of the worst games I ever played.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can't say something like that and not give details :)

well actually it's not the worst game I played this year...

given the choice, I wouldnt think twice in choosing to play Steal Princess over Peggle.

anyway, posted on the gaf:

[quote name='JEKKI']ok so far I beat like 14 stages, all gold medals.

my thoughts... game is garbage lol.

I mean... I like the art direction and I like the idea of the game... but the execution is jus so bad...

for one, it's sluggish and imprecise as all heck!! The lack of precision is a fatal flaw for a game where high scores are determined by passing a time limit, and the sluggish controls only add to the overall frustration. It takes like 3 seconds to pick up a gem? 2 seconds to recover from a jump? jus pressing the d-pad is a pain in the ass itself. I kno Exit has a very strict mobility structure, but Exit pulls it off so well by restricting you to a 2D plane which thus makes the overall execution very methodical. Steal Princess as an isometric game jus controls like a mess.

my last complaint are the controls. They break the golden rule of NES games... why the hell is B for jumping and A for attacking?!?!?!?! And what's worse... there's no way to configure them!! There are so many times when I am trying to play and pressing the wrong button becoz they decided to make an unintuitive control scheme.

anyway... yeay, I like where they were going but they jus couldnt pull it off.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Jekki, as I was stopped at about the same point. The controls are a mess as I have to relearn them for each level because they're so easy to forget and they introduce new weapons without explaining how to use them, so I had to play the first lance level a few times before I got the lance to actually work since it's a one time use weapon.

I also got the weird connection to Exit as far as puzzle platformers are concerned, as they both are timed and the solution to each level is a fairly strict order of operations. The problem is that the execition is highly-flawed, as the controls are clunky, jumping's overly floaty without being able to jump far, and most actions take too long to occur except for making swinging your sword. The controls can be done with both stylus and buttons, as the whip is best with the stylus to be able to aim at the item you need to grab on to, but the game then requires a quick switch to face button controls like it doesn't even recognize what the player's hands are being told is needed to be done to beat a level ASAP.

Then there's the fairy that is supposed to give you a hint when you stop for a second or two, but she gives the most bullshit hints that are either too vague to be helpful or are just comments about something that she's noticing. What kind of hint system doesn't actually give you a hint? I've been playing Professor Layton a bit alongside this and that hint system is very generous even when it's not giving you much of a hint.

The story's kind of interesting as far as being a cliched story of this legendary thief being mistaken for being a reborn legendary hero, which results in people mentioning the hated thief that happens to have the same name but never notice that this hero doesn't exactly act like a nice person at times. They do let the thief off the hook for all of her crimes by paying for the missing items, which the "hero" can donate the gems she collects in levels to pay the debt as charity. I'm going to take a wild guess that the story goes that
she keeps up with the lie until she experiences a real change of heart, which is when her true identity is revealed to everyone. That causes them to completely lose faith in her while her new view causes her to finish what she started, which is to finish off the evil villain to show them that she's not the legendary thief anymore.

bread's done
Back