Atlus in trouble?

How? They are the most effective when they are able to pick their platform. Unlike say Monolith Soft they include many teams.
The support of a 1st party is a big deal. Sony Computer Entertainment and Nintendo have great studios and teams which do help out one another. They also have the support of the designers of the hardware. It would also give them an opportunity to specialize on hardware without having to worry about porting games.

There's also the marketing standpoint. Fans do tend to show more loyalty for 2nd parties. While Atlus already has a dedicated fan base, the fan bases of Nintendo and Sony are way bigger. By being a part of Sony or Nintendo, they would become a part of their keynotes at E3, Gamescom, PAX, Tokyo Game Show or wherever they happen to be. I also think Atlus is the type of company that Sony or Nintendo would be dying to have. Sony has been building their studios and Nintendo needs more new IPs.

Personally, I think it would be great and I think it would help Atlus sell more games. (2nd Parties make up 7 of the PS3's top games while the top 10 games on the Wii were all made by Nintendo studios.)

The support of a 1st party is a big deal. Sony Computer Entertainment and Nintendo have great studios and teams which do help out one another. They also have the support of the designers of the hardware. It would also give them an opportunity to specialize on hardware without having to worry about porting games.

There's also the marketing standpoint. Fans do tend to show more loyalty for 2nd parties. While Atlus already has a dedicated fan base, the fan bases of Nintendo and Sony are way bigger. By being a part of Sony or Nintendo, they would become a part of their keynotes at E3, Gamescom, PAX, Tokyo Game Show or wherever they happen to be. I also think Atlus is the type of company that Sony or Nintendo would be dying to have. Sony has been building their studios and Nintendo needs more new IPs.

Personally, I think it would be great and I think it would help Atlus sell more games. (2nd Parties make up 7 of the PS3's top games while the top 10 games on the Wii were all made by Nintendo studios.)
That would make sense if Atlus is a small team, but they are not. They would have the freedom to develop and publish whatever they want without someone telling them what to do. Atlus already got great support from Nintendo with SMT IV promo, and they don't have to be a second party. Nintendo wasn't even at E3 while Atlus was there. Finally games like Persona and SMT are selling just fine with a loyal fan base already. Being second party means Nintendo would get a cut of all the sales of their merchandise, concert and licensing of product. Stuff like Persona anime and concert might not happen if Nintendo or Sony is running things.

There is also a reason why Insomniac and that game company left being exclusive, as being able to put your games on more system means more sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would make sense if Atlus is a small team, but they are not. They would have the freedom to develop and publish whatever they want without someone telling them what to do. Atlus already got great support from Nintendo with SMT IV promo, and they don't have to be a second party. Nintendo wasn't even at E3 while Atlus was there. Finally games like Persona and SMT are selling just fine with a loyal fan base already. Being second party means Nintendo would get a cut of all the sales of their merchandise, concert and licensing of product. Stuff like Persona anime and concert might not happen if Nintendo or Sony is running things.

There is also a reason why Insomniac and that game company left being exclusive, as being able to put your games on more system means more sales.
Remember when Insomniac released Fuse a couple of months ago on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3? No? Neither do most people because it got terrible reviews and it sold horribly. (I actually thought it came out last year until I checked wikipedia)

3rd Party vs 2nd Party has their pluses and minuses. If they're bought by Nintendo, Sony, Sega, EA, Activision, Square-Enix or whomever, they'll still be a subsidiary of that company. I just think the pros of being a 2nd party would help them out immensely because of how much harder Sony and Nintendo can push their games than their current parent company.

I think they make great games, but I truly think they should be selling a lot more copies.

3rd Party vs 2nd Party has their pluses and minuses. If they're bought by Nintendo, Sony, Sega, EA, Activision, Square-Enix or whomever, they'll still be a subsidiary of that company. I just think the pros of being a 2nd party would help them out immensely because of how much harder Sony and Nintendo can push their games than their current parent company.
In Atlus' case, I think the best situation for them would be similar to Taito's arrangement with Square Enix, or (and this is probably the better example) Blizzard's with Activision in that, yes, they would be a part of a larger company, but also pretty much left alone to do their own thing. That would be much harder to do for a second-party developer, since they would be limited to the first party's platforms.

Remember when Insomniac released Fuse a couple of months ago on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3? No? Neither do most people because it got terrible reviews and it sold horribly. (I actually thought it came out last year until I checked wikipedia)

I think they make great games, but I truly think they should be selling a lot more copies.
Insomniac had to do it just so they can own their IP, as Sony can do whatever they want with the Ratchet game. Like I said second party is fine for a small team, it is a plus. Atlus is still focusing on a niche so there really is a limit on how many they can sell anyway

bread's done
Back