Atlus/NIS PS2 RPG Reprints @ GQD (DDS1 $35; Nocturne & Disgaea2 $25)

Krymner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
EDIT 11/20: I guess GQD heard our complaints about the overpricing and have now lowered their prices on these games! Also, they now list the DDS as the "game only" reprint version and not the deluxe box set.

Didn't see these posted anywhere, but I was browsing GameQuestDirect and noticed that they are now taking pre-orders for several Atlus/NIS games with a 11/25 release date. I'm assuming these are all reprints.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga (GAME ONLY) $69.99 NOW $34.99
SMT: Nocturne $59.99 NOW $24.99
Disgaea 2 $54.99 NOW $24.99
Makai Kingdom $39.99 NOW $24.99

Any hope that we might get these on a CAG weekly GQD special, Cheapy??

Also, remember you can use coupon code CAG1SHIP for free shipping if you are ordering.

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF! GQD charges $70 for DDS1 while CDUniverse charges $29 + shipping only. They look like the exact same thing.

Btw, where does it say that this Nocturne reprint comes with soundtrack?

[quote name='62t']i dont know about now but in the past cd universe doesnt use boxes[/quote]
CDUniverse used a box to ship me a tin DVD box before, but again that box was too big for a padded envelope anyway. There is no indication that GQD will use a box to ship the DDS1 neither.

[quote name='eau']WTF! GQD charges $70 for DDS1 while CDUniverse charges $29 + shipping only. They look like the exact same thing.

Btw, where does it say that this Nocturne reprint comes with soundtrack?

CDUniverse used a box to ship me a tin DVD box before, but again that box was too big for a padded envelope anyway. There is no indication that GQD will use a box to ship the DDS1 though.[/QUOTE]

it doesnt, it is just speculation because GQD is more expensive

I can't believe I'm actually considering buying DDS1 again just to try and get the soundtrack I didn't get with my $7 used copy. Sickening. Just sickening. :cry:

GQD is crap and will overcharge at every last chance they can. CD Universe, on the other hand, I trust very much. I have a feeling that these prices reflect the same product.

Nocturne for 30 blades at CDUniverse is a steal. Anyone remotely interested in trying this game better get it now. BEST PRICE EVER for the deepest greatest rpg last gen.

OMG Get it!

Woot woot

[quote name='62t']also the Atlus soundtrack doesnt even comes with the best track in the game[/quote]
What is the name of the track you speak of?

Only one I'm interested in is Makai Kingdom, have the rest as both an opened copy & sealed copy. I rather use Amazon over Rosenqueen though, I guess I've been spoiled by FREE 2-day shipping :)

***EDIT***

Nevermind, its GQD....& HOLY SHIT, DDS 2! DO WANT! :) :) :)

CAG has been kind of demoralizing for me lately... seems like every other thread this week is about a price drop on a game that I already purchased months ago, for more money, and haven't even opened yet. I guess there's a lesson here. :)

First off, thanks for the heads-up, OP. I sent an email to GQD yesterday asking about the contents of the DDS1 listing on their site. Just received a reply:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. This item is only the game by itself. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know.

Sincerely,

GameQuest Support Team

I should have asked about the Nocturne soundtrack while I was at it, but I'm guessing that it will also be game-only, and that all other stores offering these games will also be selling them sans extras. If GQD is charging $60-70 for just the games without the extras, then this is horribly overpriced. There are much cheaper ways to get these games, as others have mentioned.

I'm a bit relieved though, since I just ordered DDS1 from Play-Asia a week or so ago. Would have sucked to have gotten the game, only to find out a day or two later that I could have gotten it with the original extras as well! Keeps me from spending more money, too...

Thanks for the update. I have Just the reprint of DDS1 and Nocturne and would have loved to get my hands on the deluxe/limited edition versions. Oh well.

[quote name='MasamuneNKX']First off, thanks for the heads-up, OP. I sent an email to GQD yesterday asking about the contents of the DDS1 listing on their site. Just received a reply:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. This item is only the game by itself. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know.

Sincerely,

GameQuest Support Team

I should have asked about the Nocturne soundtrack while I was at it, but I'm guessing that it will also be game-only, and that all other stores offering these games will also be selling them sans extras. If GQD is charging $60-70 for just the games without the extras, then this is horribly overpriced. There are much cheaper ways to get these games, as others have mentioned.

I'm a bit relieved though, since I just ordered DDS1 from Play-Asia a week or so ago. Would have sucked to have gotten the game, only to find out a day or two later that I could have gotten it with the original extras as well! Keeps me from spending more money, too...[/QUOTE]

Wow... so they're charging $70 for just the game? That's ridiculous...

[quote name='Vinny']Wow... so they're charging $70 for just the game? That's ridiculous...[/quote]

What I want to know, is what makes it a deluxe edition if it's just the game?

[quote name='MasamuneNKX']First off, thanks for the heads-up, OP. I sent an email to GQD yesterday asking about the contents of the DDS1 listing on their site. Just received a reply:

Hello,

Sincerely,

GameQuest Support Team

I'm a bit relieved though, since I just ordered DDS1 from Play-Asia a week or so ago. Would have sucked to have gotten the game, only to find out a day or two later that I could have gotten it with the original extras as well! Keeps me from spending more money, too...[/quote]
They want $70 for the game only with no outer deluxe box or soundtrack CD?

They want $70 for the game only with no outer deluxe box or soundtrack CD?

That's what it sounds like to me, unless what they told me in their email was false. If anyone else has a different story from them to tell, please share.

I agree that it's a pretty outrageous price, and it's a deceptive business practice listing the deluxe version of the game on their website, both in the title of the game and the picture of it, if it is in fact game only. I wonder how many people will order it only to be disappointed.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']So has anyone ordered from here instead? - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=6747921&style=games&frm=froogleother

$28.95 for DDS 1 & the Deluxe boxart is pictured, even starts shipping the same day as GQD (Nov. 25th). Just want to know if this site is trustworthy as well as their shpping. Not to mention I will actually get the Deluxe version, even though it will most likely be the game only minus extras like mentioned above for GQD.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop and Amazon used the deluxe box pictures too for the first reprints but they were only the games.

But honestly, all of these prices are INSANE. I just checked eBay for prices on Disgaea 2 and Makai Kingdom and you can get used copies for less than $20 and new copies aren't even that much.

[quote name='Vinny']Gamestop and Amazon used the deluxe box pictures too for the first reprints but they were only the games.

But honestly, all of these prices are INSANE. I just checked eBay for prices on Disgaea 2 and Makai Kingdom and you can get used copies for less than $20 and new copies aren't even that much.[/quote]

Heck, I've got GameStops around me that still have new copies of Disgaea 2 for $30. Even RosenQueen are doing reprints of Disgaea 2 of game + artbook for $50 or game + strategy guide for $40. as well as just $30 for the game itself

[quote name='Vinny']Wow... so they're charging $70 for just the game? That's ridiculous...[/quote]

It's just as bad as when GameStop was selling "used" copies for $40. Only difference is we had coupons to lower that price.

So it looks like the DDS Deluxe Box might still hold it's value. I'm all for everyone getting to play the game, it's one of the best RPGs from the last gen, but darn if I want my couple of box sets to drop down to Disgaea-level prices. :lol:

Regardless, great deals on DDS and Nocturne @ CDUniverse.

They don't always make good choices with their reprints. Like when they did a boatload of Rhapsody for the PS1 a few years ago. They ended up dumping most of that junk on Gamestop, who couldn't sell them used. Gamequest needs to focus on getting publishers to do re-compilations of really tough, in-demand old RPGs, like the first 2 Suikodens. I guess they have a deal with Nippon Ichi/Atlus right now though.

[quote name='Shady3011']It's just as bad as when GameStop was selling "used" copies for $40. Only difference is we had coupons to lower that price.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I feel that this is worse. The earlier reprint was actually justified because Nocturne was selling for $100 used, and DDS was like $130 used (for a complete boxed set) so $40 for a used copy (especially with coupons) wasn't that bad. I mean, yeah, you could get a new copy for the same price elsewhere but if you're going to play it anyway, it was the only B&M store that carried the reprints.

[quote name='misbitski']Videogames aren't investments.[/quote]

I really hope people read this. Just some friendly advice from a comic book fan who was there to see that market crash, and crash hard. All the cheap ass comic book fans were sitting on the sidelines while everyone was buying 10 copies of every #1 issue. Then when reality hit we were getting the same stuff that was "worth" $50 last year from the $1 comic bargain bin. The more popularity something gets the harder it will be to make money off of "rare" items.

[quote name='John Hyperion']I really hope people read this. Just some friendly advice from a comic book fan who was there to see that market crash, and crash hard. All the cheap ass comic book fans were sitting on the sidelines while everyone was buying 10 copies of every #1 issue. Then when reality hit we were getting the same stuff that was "worth" $50 last year from the $1 comic bargain bin. The more popularity something gets the harder it will be to make money off of "rare" items.[/QUOTE]

The problem with this is that very few of us that are worrying about price and collectabilty are doing so because....well.....we are as the site calls us cheap ass gamers. There are plenty of people here that are happy to buy a game day 1 for big bucks, but many if not most of us wait for price drops. That conflicts with the fact that many of us are also collectors. We want to wait for a game to drop in price......but at the same time we want it added to our collection. Thus we discuss if it will go up in value or not. We are content to wait for price drops.....but if something becomes rare then we get bit on the ass for not buying in day 1.

In any topic at this site where price/rarity is being discussed out of the dozens of people you never see more then 1 or 2 that mention reselling.

[quote name='Vinny']I dunno... I feel that this is worse. The earlier reprint was actually justified because Nocturne was selling for $100 used, and DDS was like $130 used (for a complete boxed set) so $40 for a used copy (especially with coupons) wasn't that bad. I mean, yeah, you could get a new copy for the same price elsewhere but if you're going to play it anyway, it was the only B&M store that carried the reprints.[/quote]

Probably true. I just found it insidious of them to purposely open the games to sell them off as used. I mean, it's not like they gain anything by doing that.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The problem with this is that very few of us that are worrying about price and collectabilty are doing so because....well.....we are as the site calls us cheap ass gamers. There are plenty of people here that are happy to buy a game day 1 for big bucks, but many if not most of us wait for price drops. That conflicts with the fact that many of us are also collectors. We want to wait for a game to drop in price......but at the same time we want it added to our collection. Thus we discuss if it will go up in value or not. We are content to wait for price drops.....but if something becomes rare then we get bit on the ass for not buying in day 1.

In any topic at this site where price/rarity is being discussed out of the dozens of people you never see more then 1 or 2 that mention reselling.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess most of us are in the same boat.. The dilemmas of being a game collector. :(

New Prices! Links in OP.

SMT: DDS (GAME ONLY): $34.99
Disgaea 2 $24.99
Makai Kingdom $24.99
SMT: Nocturne $24.99

I might actually pick up the DDS game now. I've heard many great things about it. I still have Nocturne from an Amazon sale earlier this year but still haven't gotten around to playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vherub']My guess would be it's both dds 1/2 with the outer box. No extras such as soundtracks, or the controller sticker.

A decent deal. I would like to see Atlus release a megacollection of it's backlist, but give it a highend treatment similar to what criterion does.

As always, reprints are great for gamers, very bad for speculators and frustrating to collectors.[/QUOTE]

I would jump at this with Nocturne and DDS1-2 on the PS3. Namely improved graphics and all of the games including Lossless audio. In other words, 360 isn't included.

all you people that keep complaining about the value of atlus's game going down...get over yourselves...SOME OF US actually WANT these reprints to happen so we can get ahold of these amazing games...

Just in time for holiday :D I been meaning to get Nocture for my girlfriend since she loved Persona 3...want her to play a TRUE Shin Megami Tensei title xP

I would want to get Nocturne for that price, except I already shelled out 40+ when it came out on Play-Asia...only to get a copy that doesn't work on my systems. I wonder if the same thing would happen again if I bought another copy.

[quote name='mberkes']I would want to get Nocturne for that price, except I already shelled out 40+ when it came out on Play-Asia...only to get a copy that doesn't work on my systems. I wonder if the same thing would happen again if I bought another copy.[/quote]

why doesn't it work? It is an Ps2 game and it works on NTSC/US PS2 system

I went ahead and ordered DDS1 today. I'll let everyone know what it comes with when it arrives, just in case there are still doubts that it is game-only. Now I'm trying to decide if I should play it or Nocturne first.

To anyone thinking about picking up DDS1, I have it for sale ($30 shipped). Used but great condition. PM me before it goes to Goozex.

[quote name='jacknicklson']some copies had issues on the PS3[/quote]
Too bad my copy had issues on my PS2 as well. Apparently it only works on slim PS2s, after moving the system to vertical (tested on a friend's slim as opposed to my fat one)

[quote name='animemaniac14']does anyone know where i can find the box set version of SMT: DDS1?[/quote]

ebay. Or if you're really lucky (like I was), Craigslist.

bread's done
Back