Attempted PayPal Dispute = Possible Scam?

menikmati

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Alright, so here's the rundown:

Me and a friend of mine both purchase the Street Fighter press kits directly from Capcom last month and each of ours sold to the same seller.

Now, after 12 days have passed upon Delivery Confirmation of the Press Kit, the seller decides to file a dispute with both of us on the basis that the "item was not as described," in my case, there were supposed creases on the box.

The press kits had no flaws and remained in their shrink-wrap. They were packaged so securely in the shipping box, that there was no wiggle-room for the box to be damaged. Both our items were listed in "Brand New" condition, as we both kept the press kits in their shrink-wrapping and sealed the boxes up and shipped them out. The way that the press kits were packed with paper made it so that there was minimal to no room for the press kit to move within the box.

We both offered shipping insurance for a small fee on both of our auctions, yet he did not purchase it, wouldn't that mean he is at fault for any damage/loss of the package when I handed it over to USPS?

I also found some shady patterns in relation to his dispute. Our press kits both sold, but for different amounts. Out of ambiguity, kit B sold for twice as much as kit A. Yet, he asks for a full refund of kit A while he only wants a 50% refund of kit B, which sold for twice as much, which strikes me as odd.

He also claims to have won another SF press kit and claims that out of the 3 he purchased, both of ours were "not as described" and the other mystery one was perfect. Thing is, we can't find anything in his feedback or his feedback that he left for others on this third SF press kit. I did however find that he won a MegaMan press kit from another seller and he also complained with the same "item not as described" bullshit story.

From what I know, it's confirmed that he's bought 3 Capcom press kits from various sellers, and claims that all 3 were somehow damaged.

Not sure where to go with this, other than it seems like he's trying to pull some shady shit on me and my friend. The "missing" 3rd "perfect" press kit, the 3 out of 3 "damaged" press kits that he's received, the different refund amounts, doesn't seem to add up to a legit argument to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact eBay's fraud department.

Is he saying he'll return it for refund?

Fight him in the "Significantly Not As Described" claim. There's a chance you'll win, I've lost SNAD claims that I made as a buyer, and I was in the right (I "asked seller a question" if gc controllers w/no picture were wavebirds, he said yes, I bought, they weren't, but they met the listing description). Just state your case, and point out that his reputation while writing your case.

EVEN IF YOU LOSE, he still has to send the item back TO YOU WITHIN 10 days (though Paypal will let him slide a few days), with delivery confirmation. I probably shouldn't encourage being a con, but you could theoretically abuse this. He may not get delivery confirmation - if he does, you still have the item, and can resell.

Oh, and by the way - SORRY to break it to you - the burden of getting an item there safely FALLS ON YOU, even if they don't opt for insurance. Kinda one of those ways that sellers feel paypal fucks us. On VERY high ticket items, I just make insurance mandatory.

STEP 1 - contact eBay and Paypal's fraud departments, have documentation of what the other seller told you.

EDIT:
One more note - Paypal WILL refund him his shipping cost if you charged for shipping. BUT, he's responsible for shipping to get it back to you. Basically, on return, buyer is responsible for shipping one way.

No insurance really isnt an excuse, and you should have just include it if you are selling something expensive.

Back to your situation, at this point you should just hope the guy send you your kit back instead of an empty box.

I don't really think insurance falls on anyone but the buyer. I have sold many things on eBay over the years, and when I don't offer the insurance, all the buyer has to do is send me a message and request a new invoice with insurance included and they will gladly pay for it if they wanted it in the first place.

On the other end my packages are normally also packed very well, so never ran into any issues with a product getting damaged on shipping. Good packing is the only burden the seller has to worry about once it has been paid for. If they pack it well, even with the insurance it is worthless.

I have also bought items before with insurance on it, and the product has come damaged, and the process to get my money back from USPS was not the most productive 3 weeks I had in mind. Just because it is insured, does not mean it always solves the issue.

Sellers are at a disadvantages as far as disputes are concerned with the new system, but also make sure you have pictures of the before product that was sent to the buyer to provide to paypal. I have dealt with some shady buyers in the past before that try to hose me on the purchase, but I had more than enough evidence as far as photos of before I sent the product, and when they compared it to the pictures that the buyer sent to them, they closed the dispute in my favor, and the seller left me a negative feedback, but eBay was able to get it withdrawn for me, so no big deal. Took awhile to fix, but it got fixed.

Good luck on your dispute.

Thats not what ebay/paypal thinks. If a person claim the item is damage and the item is not describe that is the seller's fault. If you got insurance it will at least discourage the buyer from trying something. If you are selling something expensive you really should just include it anyway

[quote name='62t'] If you are selling something expensive you really should just include it anyway[/QUOTE]

Hear hear!

It's really funny how many eBay buyers DO buy insurance when it's STILL the seller's responsibility to get it to them safely, even w/o it.

By the way, menikmati - how much were the press kits, if you don't mind?

I'm not going to disclose any numbers at the moment until I get this solved, sorry.

The insurance debacle aside, does anyone think that some of the things don't add up? He wants a full refund on one and only 50% on the other, he has no evidence of receiving a "perfect kit" that he claims, and all the documented press kits he's received, he's filed a SNAD on...

I listed it as Brand New, which is (taken directly from eBay) "Brand New - Item has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer's sealing. Item must be in original shrink wrap," which is exactly the condition it arrived to me, and shipped from me as. There was no possible room for the press kit to move within the box, and you couldn't damage it unless you did a flying elbow drop from the top turnbuckle or pulled a Juggernaut on it.

I've contacted another seller whom he bought a MegaMan press kit from and filed a SNAD. Spoke to the seller and said he lost the dispute to the buyer, claiming that the Press Kit was already open and not sealed.

This guy is a fucking scammer.

[quote name='menikmati']I've contacted another seller whom he bought a MegaMan press kit from and filed a SNAD. Spoke to the seller and said he lost the dispute to the buyer, claiming that the Press Kit was already open and not sealed.

This guy is a fucking scammer.[/quote]

Do make sure you bring up that case in the dispute console as part of evidence for yourself that the buyer may be trying to file a false dispute.

[quote name='menikmati']My friend who sold the other press kit lost, most likely I will too.[/quote]

Oh well, just make sure you give him hell on your neutral feedback.... :p. not much consolation ~_~

Generally, I try to underrate condition, especially for something that may get slightly damaged during shipping. There is quite the massive gap between "Like New" with caveats and "Brand New".

[quote name='Squarehard']Oh well, just make sure you give him hell on your neutral feedback.... :p. not much consolation ~_~[/QUOTE]

as as seller you can only give positive.

His eBay username is paredesmotors.

I suggest to everyone not to sell him anything.

I just searched through completed eBay listings and he bought ANOTHER press kit from someone else, I just messaged that seller warning him that he might get fucked in the future.

Unfortunately you will probably lose, from what you have said yeah he is scamming but Paypal very much doesn't care if he bought no insurance. I offer insurance on every package I sell and almost nobody buys it. I put it on certain packages anyway just to cover my butt. Looking him up, wasn't expecting that. He has quite a bit of feedback to start pulling this

Although I am not a seller, I soon will be and have asked friends on advice so as to start off on the right foot. If you have ANYTHING of value, ALWAYS require insurance. Everything of value you sell, take pics of so as to have evidence of condition of merchandise you are selling (best to have in auction as well). And sorry to say this, but the last thing was, to expect getting shafted every now and then, live and learn, and block those ppl from bidding on your auctions.
The one thing I was unsure of was: isn't there a limit to the disputes a person can file within a 12 month period, or did these rules change? Wish you luck.

Update:

Both me and my friend escalated the disputes up to a claim and for him to be eligble for a refund, he would have to return the Press Kits back to us in the original condition he received them in (i.e. with the supposed "damage," but sealed).

Turns out he never communicated back with PayPal or sent us the Press Kits before the deadlines, so PayPal automatically closed our cases and refunded us our money.

Update:

He had until 1/31 to provide at least some kind of shipping information, and he didn't. PayPal then marked the case as Closed, but he then files an appeal and provides the tracking number of the supposed returned package. The thing is, the return address (where the package originated from) is different and he auto-wins the appeal because of the tracking information.

I just e-mailed PayPal in regards to this users high dispute/SNAD frequency and hopefully they can see that he's abusing it. The funny thing is that he outright lost with my friend, which makes sense to me as mine sold for more money, and him following through the dispute with just me would entitle him for a larger refund.

It also turns out his eBay handle is now marked as "not a registered user."

I like how the ONLY communication he's made with PayPal in regards to the dispute was ONCE when he filed a 1-sentence complaint. He doesn't contact PayPal for three full weeks until the case is closed and then files an appeal. I got an e-mail this morning from him to my personal e-mail address demanding that I return his money. Now that I've seen his lack of communication regarding this dispute, I'm going to sit and wait until PayPal auto-removes the money from my account.

Ultimately, I'm just going to dump this Press Kit back on eBay just to break even.

bread's done
Back