ATTN: NYC GAMERS (need some help)

zlorya

CAGiversary!
Anyone know any good places in NYC to find good retro games (Super nintendo, sega saturn, neo geo pocket, etc.)?

I'm around Grand Ave in Brooklyn but was hoping to find some good stuff, preferably cheap, while I'm here. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks again.

The number of places where you could find retro games for decent prices in NY is just about zero. I wish you good luck.
I blame the good people of gamefuckstop also known as ebfuckgames for driving most of the mom and pop shops out of business. And forcing the ones who are left to charge insane prices to be able to stay in business.

[quote name='dragonjud']The number of places where you could find retro games for decent prices in NY is just about zero. I wish you good luck.
I blame the good people of gamefuckstop also known as ebfuckgames for driving most of the mom and pop shops out of business. And forcing the ones who are left to charge insane prices to be able to stay in business.[/quote]Yep you are so correct on that statement.

[quote name='SilverSurfer375']Yep you are so correct on that statement.[/quote]

Actually your pretty wrong I see lots of stores that sell old games. On Jamaica ave in Queens there is a Sho in Gertz Plaza Mall, and 2 smaller stores on the same block on each side of the mall. A few blocks away there is the Colleseum with at least one more game store. If you go into Manhattan there are a ton, I know there are a few near Madison square garden. If you just walk around you should spot them. Usually they are mixed with Cell phone or other type of electronics store.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably stop by the place in Jersey. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. It can't be completely hopeless.

[quote name='DoubleEcksZero']Actually your pretty wrong I see lots of stores that sell old games. On Jamaica ave in Queens there is a Sho in Gertz Plaza Mall, and 2 smaller stores on the same block on each side of the mall. A few blocks away there is the Colleseum with at least one more game store. If you go into Manhattan there are a ton, I know there are a few near Madison square garden. If you just walk around you should spot them. Usually they are mixed with Cell phone or other type of electronics store.[/quote]In the Bronx a GameStop opened in my area less then 6 months ago and it forced this store called "Beway's" out of business.

How far is there a GameStop from those stores?

You are really lucky to be near the digitpress place. I've thought about driving to Jersey from Ohio for their quarterly gathering.

In the Bronx a GameStop opened in my area less then 6 months ago and it forced this store called "Beway's" out of business.

How far is there a GameStop from those stores?

[quote name='DoubleEcksZero']Actually your pretty wrong I see lots of stores that sell old games. On Jamaica ave in Queens there is a Sho in Gertz Plaza Mall, and 2 smaller stores on the same block on each side of the mall. A few blocks away there is the Colleseum with at least one more game store. If you go into Manhattan there are a ton, I know there are a few near Madison square garden. If you just walk around you should spot them. Usually they are mixed with Cell phone or other type of electronics store.[/quote]

next time i got to grandmas i know where i am walking, its on 92nd and jamica

I know saw a stand at the last NYC Comic Con selling nothing but classic games. From TG-16 to Neo Geo Carts. So there most be a store near the area that has a good stock of classic games.

[quote name='DoubleEcksZero']Actually your pretty wrong I see lots of stores that sell old games. On Jamaica ave in Queens there is a Sho in Gertz Plaza Mall, and 2 smaller stores on the same block on each side of the mall. A few blocks away there is the Colleseum with at least one more game store. If you go into Manhattan there are a ton, I know there are a few near Madison square garden. If you just walk around you should spot them. Usually they are mixed with Cell phone or other type of electronics store.[/quote]

Well, I know about the places in Jamaica. The place in Gertz Plaza Mall is hardly a bargain. You may find a few old ps1 games, and some old Saturn sports games, but hardly for good prices. Everything else is current generation stuff, and a lot of it is actually over priced.
The place next door to it that sells cell phones has better prices on games, but there's nothing there from last generation. Unless, of course you count a bunch of old Dreamcast controllers.
The other place, a few blocks down, has some decent prices for used ps2 games, but again nothing from last gen.
To me, if I was visiting NY for a short period, I wouldn't bother going to any of those places.

As for 34th street, I worked near there for 2 years, and I hardly remember seeing any good independent sellers. Unless of course you are counting the overpriced Electronics stores (waiting like sharks for dumb tourists).

There is an independent VG store at 202 East 6th Street in the East Village called VideoGamesNewYork that sells retro games. Most of their stuff is marked at near-ebay prices though.

[quote name='dragonjud']Well, I know about the places in Jamaica. The place in Gertz Plaza Mall is hardly a bargain. You may find a few old ps1 games, and some old Saturn sports games, but hardly for good prices. Everything else is current generation stuff, and a lot of it is actually over priced.
The place next door to it that sells cell phones has better prices on games, but there's nothing there from last generation. Unless, of course you count a bunch of old Dreamcast controllers.
The other place, a few blocks down, has some decent prices for used ps2 games, but again nothing from last gen.
To me, if I was visiting NY for a short period, I wouldn't bother going to any of those places.

As for 34th street, I worked near there for 2 years, and I hardly remember seeing any good independent sellers. Unless of course you are counting the overpriced Electronics stores (waiting like sharks for dumb tourists).[/quote]
I've personally bought Cheap sealed non-sports games from the place inside Gertz. The Cell phone store has less old gen, but stuff pops up. And the 3rd store is brand new right next door to gertz on the opposite side of the cell phone store so the stock varies.

What ever happened to the store on St. Marks between 2nd and 3rd (East Village) ? I used to get records down in that block as well (Sounds) (Venus ?) Yes, records , you youngbloods see them as black fris-bees...

Tall order for NYC. There are at least 3 different places in Long Island I can think of, but ubber expensive with NO guarantee to even work. Not a good deal. There was an independant store in the Nanuet Mall in Rockland County that sold Awesome old games for super cheap, but I'm assuming they might not be there anymore since EB Games got themselves a place on the bottom floor. Ugh.
You know how they say NYC has everything you can think to buy? Well they forgot to mention it will cost you and eye and a testicle to get it. :(

[quote name='BABETOOTH']What ever happened to the store on St. Marks between 2nd and 3rd (East Village) ? I used to get records down in that block as well (Sounds) (Venus ?) Yes, records , you youngbloods see them as black fris-bees...[/quote]

It moved a few years ago to East 6th street between 2nd and 3rd (close to 3rd) and changed their name to VideoGamesNewYork as ykcil542 mentioned. Prices can be on the expensive side (the rack of NES, Genesis and SNES games usually range from $3.99-$9.99 and the "rare" section in the back starts around $25 per game), but its at least a convinient store to get some retro games.

[quote name='dragonjud']The number of places where you could find retro games for decent prices in NY is just about zero. I wish you good luck.
I blame the good people of gamefuckstop also known as ebfuckgames for driving most of the mom and pop shops out of business. And forcing the ones who are left to charge insane prices to be able to stay in business.[/quote]

Agreed. To be honest, the best thing to do is check eBay and Amazon. I can't find anywhere that sells those things anymore either :T
I think there's this place on Sunrise hwy, near Green Acres Mall, but I'm not too sure. I'll check and get back to you on that one

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Shady Hombre']Wasn't the one on St. Mark's between 2nd and 3rd named Multimedia 1.0? Kind of a shame if it's gone.[/quote]

It's not gone, as I mentioned in my previous post, it moved to 6th st. between 2nd and 3rd ave and changed their name to VideoGamesNewYork.

Hey Guys I know you are looking and talking about game stores in NYC. Here is one in Newark NJ yes it is not in NYC but it is a cool independent that carries everything from Old School Atari 2600 to the latest stuff PS3, 360 and wii. They usually have the Hot Games a bit early and their prices are on Par with the market price actualy they come out a bit cheaper they are only 3.5% sals tax wich can save you about 5% they are 20 min from the city by the path and have everything even the hard to find stuff that the big stores are out of like PS3 systems and Wii's. the name and address of the store is
Cash for games
853 Broad street
Newark, NJ 07102
973-643-0998

bread's done
Back