AV Receiver Help

INCyr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Hoping that there's someone on this site that might be willing to help me out.

I'm looking for a new stereo receiver. I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5740 that I've had for a number of years. However, it doesn't have any HDMI inputs/outputs and only two optical inputs, and that's just not enough for my 360, PS3, laptop and cablebox. I've tried a setup where I route things through my TV, but my 360 only gives me 2.1 and my PS3 only gives me 2.1 half the time. It's very frustrating.

Anyway.

I've been doing some shopping around, and I've found two receivers on Amazon that look decent for a decent price. They are:

Yamaha RX-V571
Onkyo HT-RC306

They're both ~$300, which is about what I'm willing to spend, since really, my receiver doesn't NEED replacing, but is driving me crazy (I can't stand watching a bluray movie only to have it output 2.1 sound).

Any thoughts on either of these? I'm leaning towards the Yamaha, just because I've been really happy with mine up until recently. But the networking, 4k and Audyssey DSX, as well as some of the other advanced functions of the RC360 make it more than a little appealing. I'm also open to other receiver suggestions, as long as the price isn't too different. It'd have to be very obviously worth it for me to go up to $400.

I've already posted this at AVSForums, but they haven't been very helpful, sadly. Because neither of these are top-end receivers, I'm having problems finding comparisons between them, or even reviews for each. It's very frustrating.

Thanks for any help I might be able to get.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2-Channel receiver (similar features/specs to the one you posted) I got about two years ago. I am very happy with it. Plenty of inputs, great sound/power, and no problems at all. It does get hot when its on, but just make sure you have plenty of room around the receiver for ventilation.

[quote name='addicted2games']I have an Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2-Channel receiver (similar features/specs to the one you posted) I got about two years ago. I am very happy with it. Plenty of inputs, great sound/power, and no problems at all. It does get hot when its on, but just make sure you have plenty of room around the receiver for ventilation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the one thing that worries me about the Onkyo - I'm not sure I have enough room for the amount of heat I've heard they put out.

But given that you guys have been more helpful than the other forums I've posted this in, and all 3 recommend the Onkyo, I'm thinking I might go in that direction after all.

More power they output, the warmer they will get. My previous 2 yamaha systems ran hot also. You can always place a small fan on the side or top to help with cooling.

[quote name='gsr1379']I would pick yamaha out of the two onkyos from what i remember can cause noise from the ground.

But i am a Fan of Denon. You can get a nice refurbed denon from a authorized dealer, and get a good deal like this.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-7.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems like Denon's are quite favored. Unfortunately they just don't seem to offer the features that I want at a price I'm interested in. And while they might sound better, I'm not enough of an audiophile to probably notice or really care about the difference at that level. My Yamaha sounds good enough for me at the moment, and as long as it doesn't sound noticeably crappy, I think I'll be happy.

Also, anyone know anything about PC Richards & Sons? They have the Onkyo for $300 even, $20 less than Amazon. But I know & trust Amazon, so I'm wondering if it's worth the $20 just to buy it from them?

[quote name='INCyr']Also, anyone know anything about PC Richards & Sons? They have the Onkyo for $300 even, $20 less than Amazon. But I know & trust Amazon, so I'm wondering if it's worth the $20 just to buy it from them?[/QUOTE]

They're fine, but for me personally, I'd still go with Amazon.

[quote name='mtxbass1']They're fine, but for me personally, I'd still go with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, why's that?

[quote name='INCyr']Out of curiosity, why's that?[/QUOTE]I have little to no issues with Amazon's customer service, if there is an issue. Plus, if there's an issue, they'd send out a replacement and pay for return shipping.

I know I'd get free shipping from Amazon, even without Prime. Not sure if shipping is included or not from PC Richard & Sons.

Another vote for the Onkyo. I've had the TX-NR509 since summer of 2011 and it's been treating me well. Check out my review of it on Amazon (first one, can't miss it). The 609 is similar to the one you're looking at, as they both have more features than the 509 (7.2, upscaling, etc.)

[quote name='evilpotatoguy']Another vote for the Onkyo. I've had the TX-NR509 since summer of 2011 and it's been treating me well. Check out my review of it on Amazon (first one, can't miss it). The 609 is similar to the one you're looking at, as they both have more features than the 509 (7.2, upscaling, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm slightly confused as to the difference between the 609 and the 360 - the 609 seems to be THX certified (yay?), but other than that... they seem the same. But the 360 is about $50 cheaper, so whatever...

[quote name='shrike4242']I have little to no issues with Amazon's customer service, if there is an issue. Plus, if there's an issue, they'd send out a replacement and pay for return shipping.

I know I'd get free shipping from Amazon, even without Prime. Not sure if shipping is included or not from PC Richard & Sons.[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

I know if I ever have an issue, one call or email to Amazon fixes it.

I got a Denon from Woot a couple weeks ago. Think 1312 was the model number. It was on sale for $150. I'm pleased with it so far, but I'm not an audiophile at all and have pretty cheap speakers etc. Just needed to replace a 12 year old Sony receiver that was starting to make loud clicking noises intermittently, and wanted a receiver with HDMI inputs to reduce some cable clutter.

Does that Denon have any component inputs? I took a look at Amazon and it doesn't say.
I am just now starting to look for receivers. My old LG tv was replaced by Fry's earlier this week and they replaced it with a newer model LCD, same size, same brand but this one only has one component input whereas my old one had two.

So my old set up was:

Cable box - HDMI
PS3 - HDMI
Wii - component
Xbox 360 - component

Current set up on new tv:
Cable box - HDMI
PS3 - HDMI
Wii - component
Xbox 360 - composite (only because new Star Wars console came with no component cable)

Anyone have any suggestions? It looks like I am going to need at the minimum two component inputs. I would hook up the 360 through HDMI but my new tv only has two HDMI inputs so looks like getting a receiver is my best option. I am not really an audio snob and I am not looking to spend a crazy amount. Anyone have an opinion on the Sony STRDH520? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520...UTF8&coliid=I21XJ42WFFF5GQ&colid=MA8PVOTMHP4Q

[quote name='El Rey']Does that Denon have any component inputs? I took a look at Amazon and it doesn't say.
I am just now starting to look for receivers. My old LG tv was replaced by Fry's earlier this week and they replaced it with a newer model LCD, same size, same brand but this one only has one component input whereas my old one had two.

So my old set up was:

Cable box - HDMI
PS3 - HDMI
Wii - component
Xbox 360 - component

Cable box - HDMI
PS3 - HDMI
Wii - component
Xbox 360 - composite (only because new Star Wars console came with no component cable)

Anyone have any suggestions? It looks like I am going to need at the minimum two component inputs. I would hook up the 360 through HDMI but my new tv only has two HDMI inputs so looks like getting a receiver is my best option. I am not really an audio snob and I am not looking to spend a crazy amount. Anyone have an opinion on the Sony STRDH520? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520...UTF8&coliid=I21XJ42WFFF5GQ&colid=MA8PVOTMHP4Q[/QUOTE]You could always run a switcher. http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Pe...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333655134&sr=1-1

[quote name='krashhole']You could always run a switcher. http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Performance-Switcher-Switch/dp/B0015YWKYY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333655134&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SpeedyG']What speakers are you going to pair with this?[/QUOTE]

When I called Fry’s to ask what I could do about not getting a comparable tv she said that they may be able to offer me a switcher. Short term if that’s what I gotta do I will but I am going to try to see if they’ll offer me a discount or credit towards a receiver. But if I am going to upgrade to a new system I want to take a switcher out of the equation completely.

For the past 10 years or so I have had the same Philips DVD home theater system (below), was never really used to watch DVD’s, just used for audio. I have it all set up pretty janky but it works. Of course all the game systems video cables are hooked up to the TV but I have all of the audio cables running to a composite system selector (the Mad Catz ones Gamestop used to sell). SO for short term I would be sticking with those speakers and then get new ones somewhere down the line. The primary goal right now is to get all the game systems and cable box hooked up to the tv with the ease of a receiver rather than a system selector/switcher.

imgres

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=phil...dsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0,i:110&tx=139&ty=39

17067_G_1288850891123.jpg

[quote name='El Rey']Does that Denon have any component inputs? I took a look at Amazon and it doesn't say.

So my old set up was:

Cable box - HDMI
PS3 - HDMI
Wii - component
Xbox 360 - component

Cable box - HDMI
PS3 - HDMI
Wii - component

Anyone have any suggestions? It looks like I am going to need at the minimum two component inputs. I would hook up the 360 through HDMI but my new tv only has two HDMI inputs so looks like getting a receiver is my best option. I am not really an audio snob and I am not looking to spend a crazy amount. Anyone have an opinion on the Sony STRDH520? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520...UTF8&coliid=I21XJ42WFFF5GQ&colid=MA8PVOTMHP4Q[/QUOTE]

Yep, no component inputs.

What I'd do if I were you is get a receiver with HDMIs, and use that for all that stuff but the Wii since it doesn't support it. Just plug the component cables into the TV and run the audio to the receiver. No need to have all your video stuff going through the receiver as long as you have enough inputs on the TV. Just get a good universal remote (i.e. a Harmony) so you just press one button and it puts the TV and receiver etc. on the right sources automaticlaly.

Currently I have the 4 HDMI inputs on the Denon filled up with the HD-DVR, Bluray player, PS3 and 360. And Wii is just hooked up as noted above.

In short, use HDMI for anything you can as it's the best quality and cuts down greatly on cable clutter compared to using component for video and optical cable for audio.

Well thanks for your help but I found great deal yesterday at Fry's THey had a Sony receiver on sale for $199 but I strolled through the aisles and looked at the open box and clearance stuff. There was a red tag under an Onkyo receiver, speakers and subwoofer that said $79 but I wasn't sure if it was for the receiver, the speakers or subwoofer. So I asked the sales associate and he thought it was just for the subwoofer but said he would go ask. When he came back he said it was $79 for it all. So I walked away with the Onkyo HT-S3400. All that was missing was the remote, manual and one set of the speaker wire. Needless to say I was super psyched and it had all the HDMI and component outputs I needed. I picked up a Harmony remote too but not sure if I am going to keep it or order an Onkyo remote.

Just to let you guy sknow, I picked up the RC360 off amazon. Got it yesterday, hooked it up, and am loving it. It sounds great, was a breeze to set up, and seems to handle everything perfectly, soundwise. Haven't had a chance to completely test it, and am finding it hard to figure out what speakers it's actually using, but maybe that's because it's always using all of them, unlike my old one. But I went through the Audessy setup, which was great, and I think I'm really going to like it.

So thanks for your guys help!

not to drag up an old thread, but I am trying to figure out if I should stick with the receiver that I just picked up at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...9479&skuId=2022273&st=sony receiver&cp=1&lp=4

I need one for a set of DiVinci speakers that I just picked up.

DA-6.1 PRO Series III
-800 Watts Total System Power
-Rose Wood/Piano Lacquer Finish
-200 Watts(2X6.5") Aluminum Subs
-650 Watts(5X120) Satellite/Center
-1"Polycarbonate Tweeters

The problem is I can't figure out what requirements I need to meet. The speakers themselves are 200W, 8Ohm, 120-20KHz+/-20%. So I can't figure out if I need a receiver that puts out 1200W for the 6 speakers or something smaller.

[quote name='Gep88']not to drag up an old thread, but I am trying to figure out if I should stick with the receiver that I just picked up at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...9479&skuId=2022273&st=sony receiver&cp=1&lp=4

I need one for a set of DiVinci speakers that I just picked up.

DA-6.1 PRO Series III
-800 Watts Total System Power
-Rose Wood/Piano Lacquer Finish
-200 Watts(2X6.5") Aluminum Subs
-650 Watts(5X120) Satellite/Center
-1"Polycarbonate Tweeters

The problem is I can't figure out what requirements I need to meet. The speakers themselves are 200W, 8Ohm, 120-20KHz+/-20%. So I can't figure out if I need a receiver that puts out 1200W for the 6 speakers or something smaller.[/QUOTE]

Not to be a dick, but I wouldn't worry about keeping the receiver until you get rid of those speakers. Those speakers are trash and could potentially harm that receiver. At the very least they are very, very poor quality speakers.

They're from the "white van speaker" scam.

[quote name='pjb16']Not to be a dick, but I wouldn't worry about keeping the receiver until you get rid of those speakers. Those speakers are trash and could potentially harm that receiver. At the very least they are very, very poor quality speakers.

They're from the "white van speaker" scam.[/QUOTE]

So not even a chance that these will put out sound without causing harm to the receiver? And what do I do with them, just throw them away?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gep88']So not even a chance that these will put out sound without causing harm to the receiver?[/QUOTE]

No, there is certainly a chance they won't harm the receiver. But they have been reported to hurt amps and receivers by other people (likely a small percentage), so I personally wouldn't take the chance. Perhaps I am even mis-remembering what I read, and it is the white van brand receivers that they sell with the HTiB which actually burn up.

There's like a dozen brands (and hundreds of models) of these white van speakers, and all the names (at least most of them) play off of legitimate electronic/audio companies. In this case the real company is Da Vinci Audio Labs (they make crazy high-end turntables I believe). The boxes usually have insanely high MSRP printed on them for what you get (like $2000-$3500), and the scammers sell them for anywhere from $150 to as much as they can get.

If you live near a larger city, you can regularly find these speaker sets showing up on craigslist. For example:
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/ele/3022331527.html
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/ele/3015968859.html

[quote name='pjb16']No, there is certainly a chance they won't harm the receiver. But they have been reported to hurt amps and receivers by other people (likely a small percentage), so I personally wouldn't take the chance. Perhaps I am even mis-remembering what I read, and it is the white van brand receivers that they sell with the HTiB which actually burn up.

There's like a dozen brands (and hundreds of models) of these white van speakers, and all the names (at least most of them) play off of legitimate electronic/audio companies. In this case the real company is Da Vinci Audio Labs (they make crazy high-end turntables I believe). The boxes usually have insanely high MSRP printed on them for what you get (like $2000-$3500), and the scammers sell them for anywhere from $150 to as much as they can get.

If you live near a larger city, you can regularly find these speaker sets showing up on craigslist. For example:
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/ele/3022331527.html
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/ele/3015968859.html[/QUOTE]

Well that just totally sucks. Should I just toss them in the trash?

[quote name='Gep88']Well that just totally sucks. Should I just toss them in the trash?[/QUOTE]

That's really up to you. I personally wouldn't use them, but if you have a valid warranty on the receiver and the speakers sound fine to you then that may be good enough for you.

I really just wanted to let you know what you had on your hands, and those listed watt-ages are significantly off from reality.

bread's done
Back