freelancer85

CAGiversary!
Avatar on blu ray is officially announced by Twentieth Century Fox, to be released on April 22, 2010 (Earth day). Unfortunately, it doesn't include any special features to maximize the audio and video of the film. It comes with a dvd though. Who still watches dvd?

In for 1 with free prime + delivered on earth day! Glad they don't prices at $24.99 in order to qualify for free super saver shipping.

does anyone see a point to owning all three? this is really the first I've heard of a 'triple-dip' and all in the same year?? that is crazy!

I know I have to get it day one b/c everyday my kid asks me if we can watch it. I can't subject him to bootleg copies of movies, especially not this film..

[quote name='token2k6']does anyone see a point to owning all three? this is really the first I've heard of a 'triple-dip' and all in the same year?? that is crazy!

I know I have to get it day one b/c everyday my kid asks me if we can watch it. I can't subject him to bootleg copies of movies, especially not this film..[/QUOTE]The 3D version/third-dip on the movie is supposed to be in 2011, not 2010, from the Blu-Ray.com article I posted.

The second dip for November is likely an extended/director's cut of the movie, as I've also heard a rumor that Cameron may release again theatrically in the fall, with 20+ minutes of additional footage as a director's cut release.

$20 + $25 + $30 = $75 > $100, most likely it'll be under $100 when you owned all three. I'm sure the barebone will be $20 on sale, special edition for $25 and 3D for $30.

Aren't they also doing an expanded theatrical release in the summer? Seems like a rather crappy thing to do if they plan a Spring DVD release.

I'll wait for the 2nd release. I spent money on Heart gold and will be getting TS1 + TS2 and GTA Episodes from liberty city for ps3.

Barebones = BS!!!

Looks like I will jus rent it (DVD) and rip it and upscale it on PS3 for a few months then get the version with extra features when it's out.

No double dip for me unless it has extra features!!!

UNLESS it has at least 50% Donation to Earth Day charity or something!

I can't wait for it to come out and a few months pass so i can stop hearing about this overrated film, ill snag some steelbooks for 1 reason only

resell, because the obsessed fanboys of it will pay out the ass :)

Gotta love Netflix. Is Avatar really a bad film? I'll admit I've only heard its "technological advances" talked about, and nothing about its story or characters. Also I'm incapable of viewing 3D so that doesn't matter to me.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Gotta love Netflix. Is Avatar really a bad film? I'll admit I've only heard its "technological advances" talked about, and nothing about its story or characters. Also I'm incapable of viewing 3D so that doesn't matter to me.[/QUOTE]
It's not terrible, just extremely overrated. Basically its shiny tech covering up a predictable, cliche and unoriginal story. The art direction and CG are top notch while the story basically boils down to Pocahontas in space.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']US specs revealed!

1.78:1 1080p
DTS-HD-MA English 5.1
DTS-HD-MA Na'vi 7.1
English, French, Spanish, Na'vi subtitles.[/QUOTE]

So we can watch the entire movie in Na'vi ?

[quote name='blu_yu_away']It's not terrible, just extremely overrated. Basically its shiny tech covering up a predictable, cliche and unoriginal story. The art direction and CG are top notch while the story basically boils down to Pocahontas in space.[/QUOTE]
pocah..pocahontas!?

sexy native indian women

[quote name='Sway42']pocah..pocahontas!?

sexy native indian women[/QUOTE]

Pretty close.

Oh, let me add...blue, braless, alien women.

The visuals are stunning, but the story is cheesy. I'm still glad I got to see it in 3D on an Imax screen though.

I agree that the story was very derivative but we all know that even the barebones release is gonna sell like hotcakes.

I wish the 3D one was coming out this year. Oh well, I'm still getting this one, since I haven't even seen it yet.

[quote name='lmz00']Can they even fit 2D and 3D versions of a film on the same disc?[/QUOTE]

Of course they can, but theyd rather release it twice to make more money and piss everyone off at the same time.

I don't really know if they could fit 2d and 3d on the same disc. That is a lot of data and to put both on the same disc with all the audio codecs some quality is going to be lost. I think it would be better to put them on their own disc only they should keep them both in the same set.

[quote name='freelancer85']Who still watches dvd?[/QUOTE]

Me and everyone else who doesn't have a stick up there ass thinknig they are better than people who don't have blu-ray.

I'd say a lot more people don't have an HD TV and blu-ray than have one.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Me and everyone else who doesn't have a stick up there ass thinknig they are better than people who don't have blu-ray.

I'd say a lot more people don't have an HD TV and blu-ray than have one.[/QUOTE]

lol look @ this poor person get mad

[quote name='Sporadic']lol look @ this poor person get mad[/QUOTE]
I throw my pennies at the poor and tell them to save up for a blu-ray....that alcohol won't last forever!

[quote name='shadowkast']I throw my pennies at the poor and tell them to save up for a blu-ray....that alcohol won't last forever![/QUOTE]
People still use real currency?

(Only joking.)

IMHO... postponing 3-D version to 2011 is ill advised.

This movie is more of a gimmick than a game-changer, and will not hold up well if they delay AND miss the holiday sales period. Every 3D electronic (especially those that didn't sell well) will be pushed heavily in November/December... and the Holiday buzz is the best time to push people off the fence.

If Avatar doesn't capitalize on this opportunity, I don't see the audience interest holding up into 2011. Triple dip stinks, but the longer the studio strings it out, the more tarnish builds on the avatar halo and the more interest builds for OTHER content.

Redeemed 10$ of E-rewards for 15$ in Borders Bucks. Free shipping for 25$ orders.

Avatar BD/DVD Combo (24.99 after 40% off pre-order) (24.99)
+
Some crappy hispanic childrens book (.95 before 25% off coupon code) (.72)
-15$ in borders bucks
=
10.71 (free shipping) + .96 tax = 11.68 after discounts and borders bucks. Not too bad. Didn't expect the blu-ray for sub-15... so I was gonna pass until the 3D edition.

Going for the 2nd release. I'll rent it just so I can watch it.

@Incredipinoy - That pic in your sig is extremely disturbing...

[quote name='SuperJedi']I swear they better make it an Event like New Moon. Every store have exclusives, etc...[/QUOTE]

Why? That's usually the cause for less competitive prices. Everyone starts advertising how they are getting exclusive this and exclusive that and they don't have to compete as much with prices because the exclusive content sells the movie for them. It's stupid, in my opinion.

[quote name='freelancer85']Avatar on blu ray is officially announced by Twentieth Century Fox, to be released on April 22, 2010 (Earth day). Unfortunately, it doesn't include any special features to maximize the audio and video of the film. It comes with a dvd though. Who still watches dvd?[/QUOTE]

Haha! It doesn't include any special features "to maximize the audio and video of the film"! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. How about "It doesn't include any special features so they can triple-dip this and squeeze the most money out of their supporters that they possibly can"?
I'm SURE the people behind the Avatar release know that they can put out a second disc with special features. Just a hunch.
Also - since they made SO much money (the MOST money ever in theatres) you'd think they'd reward the people by giving them as much as they can. How sad.
One last thing - this is being released on Earth Day, while they're openly admitting to planning three full blu-ray/DVD releases of the film, re-releasing the same material (yes, the same movie, plus special features, then plus 3D) with three entire releases of plastic discs and cases, three times! The ideals behind that are so anti-Earth Day that the irony is oozing from those large Smurfs' blue nipples!

PS. I realize the neccessity of two releases (for 3D technology to catch up for the 3D release) - but if you KNOW you need to do two releases already, why hold the special features back for a third? How bastardy!

[quote name='SuperJedi']I swear they better make it an Event like New Moon. Every store have exclusives, etc...[/QUOTE]

Not at all :|

Utterly Disappointing! :|

[quote name='chuckstaton']Haha! It doesn't include any special features "to maximize the audio and video of the film"! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. How about "It doesn't include any special features so they can triple-dip this and squeeze the most money out of their supporters that they possibly can"?
I'm SURE the people behind the Avatar release know that they can put out a second disc with special features. Just a hunch.
Also - since they made SO much money (the MOST money ever in theatres) you'd think they'd reward the people by giving them as much as they can. How sad.
One last thing - this is being released on Earth Day, while they're openly admitting to planning three full blu-ray/DVD releases of the film, re-releasing the same material (yes, the same movie, plus special features, then plus 3D) with three entire releases of plastic discs and cases, three times! The ideals behind that are so anti-Earth Day that the irony is oozing from those large Smurfs' blue nipples!

PS. I realize the neccessity of two releases (for 3D technology to catch up for the 3D release) - but if you KNOW you need to do two releases already, why hold the special features back for a third? How bastardy![/QUOTE]

I must be the only person in the world who could care about the "extras". I never watch them, or care that they are on any disc. Back in the hay day of DVDs I loved to buy superbit; because they striped out the extras to make extra room for video quality. Also I have no intention of buying a new TV for 3D so this release will work just fine for me.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I must be the only person in the world who could care about the "extras". I never watch them, or care that they are on any disc. Back in the hay day of DVDs I loved to buy superbit; because they striped out the extras to make extra room for video quality. Also I have no intention of buying a new TV for 3D so this release will work just fine for me.[/QUOTE]

Most of the people that are complaining don't care about special features either, but they want them there anyways so they can think they're getting their monies worth.

bread's done
Back