Backlogged Games You Thought You'd Play and/or Finish

rumarudrathas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm bored, so I'm starting this one.

Have anyone bought a game, and months later found yourself that you haven't even ripped off the damn cellophane on the dvd/bluray case? Maybe you bought it because of some hype, played for an hour or two, realized that it's utter crap, but never had the heart to get rid of it, deluding yourself that you need to "do one play-through, atleast." Maybe you just did some spring cleaning, and you just found a copy of Mass Effect that you vaguely remember buying after than insane deal from Black Friday of 2008? Or maybe you just found a game collecting dust, because Killzone 2 was recently released, and you can't pry yourself away from Warzone just to "enjoy" the last hours of Metal Gear Solid 4

Whatever the reason, we sometimes find ourself not finishing games that we thought we would "finish" asap.

For example, my GF spoiled me for my birthday buy picking up Dead Space for the ps3 and Fallout 3 for the PC. I opened Dead Space first, thinking I'll finish that game first, but I found myself installing Fallout 3 a few nights after that, and I've been exploring every nook and cranny of the Wasteland more so that I'm curb-stomping Necromorphs.

Hell, just a couple of hours ago, after hitting the prestige button on CoD4 again, I realized that I was barely past the half-way point in the Singleplayer story (to be fair, the story was spoiled to me when my old roommate played through the story the day he picked it up in under 6ish hours).

I still have an unopened copy of Rogue Galaxy and Dead Rising, I'm only the number 9 assassin in No More Heroes, our copy of LBP has a thick layer of dust on it, not to mention I barely play Jeanne D'arc and Crisis Core on the PSP (joined by my now-discharged DS and Order of Ecclesia that hasn't been touched since my last plane trip this part Xmas). I don't even want to look into my backlog of PS2 games from the previous generations.

I'm a college student, and soon to be a grad student, and the more I try to plan out playing my games, the more my back-log seems to be growing. I want to get some of my back logs done and over with, so I could cull my game collection and make some money off them, if anything. I just can't seem to pry myself out of the core 3-5 games that I'm playing. I look at my copy of Odin Sphere, and I'm pretty ashamed that I haven't finished that game yet. It has a pretty interesting story, and the game play mechanic was spot on in my book, but after I lent it to a friend for 2 months, I just haven't found the time to finish it. LittleBigPlanet is another game that I'm not proud having not finished, but truth be told, I think the game bores me after a while (I mean let's face it, it's just a platformer with user created content). I still haven't found a legitimate excuse in finished the SP in CoD4, and from what I've seen, it's pretty epic for a next gen shooter (come of think of it, did I ever finish playing through Halo 3?).

I mean, I'm not trying to shoot for 100% completion, but just a single play through, from start 'till killing of the end boss or something...

What are some of your guy's reasons to having your backlog, and how bad is it? Any "success stories"?

Time spent writing this post could've been spent playing a backlogged title ;)

But yea... I haven't finished CoD: WaW, Half-Life 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Condemned 2, Dead Rising, Fable 2. I'm a bad person. Between finishing up my Bachelor's, work, and hanging out with my girlfriend - I haven't been able to make time to finish a lot of games. Least there's SFIV and that one doesn't need much time investment.

Raw Danger!

Also Red Ninja.

Both are bad, but they both have something that made me get them in the first place. I 'll get to them eventually.

Also Persona 4. Not sure if I'll be getting to that one.

Persona 3,4
Odin Sphere
Kingdom Hearts II
Saints Row 2
LBP
Bioshock
... etc

lots of PS2 games I still need/want to play but too busy with PS3 games... and all these deals from CAG aren't helping...

Persona 3
Persona 4
Halo 3
Gta IV (got stuck halfway through and never arsed myself to finish)
Littlebigplanet
Yakuza (2 hours left LOL)
Yakuza 2

Started, but not finished:

:wii: Super Mario Galaxy
:wii: Boom Blox
:ps3: Little Big Planet
:360: Gears of War
:360: Earth Defense Force 2017
:360: Mass Effect
:360: Burnout Paradise
:360: Assassin's Creed
:360: Viva Pinata
:pc: Sam & Max Season One

Still in the shrinkwrap, or at least not truly started:

:ps3: Mirror's Edge
:ps3: Metal Gear Solid 4
:360: Dead Rising
:360: Lost Planet
:360: Tomb Raider Legend
:360: Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
:360: Culdcept Saga
:360: Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
:360: Battlefield: Bad Company

Actually, there's plenty more, but I'm getting tired of typing them out. As far as last-gen goes, I've probably got around 30-40 PS2 games still in the shrinkwrap.

My backlog happened for 3 reasons: 1) I'm a very slow, methodical player. 2) I'm married with kids and a full-time job, so gaming time is very limited, and 3) I can't seem to resist a good deal on any game that I'm even moderately interested in, even when I know full well that I'll never get around to playing it.

I just need to get thru God of War 2 and then Persona 3 + 4. The rest of my GCN/PS2 I'll probably sell as I don't forsee myself ever playing them.

GTA IV...I've probably only played 6-8 hours of that game and haven't touched it since. Would like to beat the game and get around to playing the expansion some day.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too many to list. My problem is that I'm a completionist. What you're doing with Fallout 3... I do with ALL of my games (and trophies are only making it worse!). So a game that I should be done with after 10-15 hours is still seeing play time after 60 or even 100 hours. Meanwhile, I'm still buying up all the games that are on sale as I come across them. The good news is, if they ever stop making video games... I'll be set!

Heh, with Finances becoming tight, I had to promise to my fiance that I will not buy another game until I finish with most of my backlog.

Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 will probably have a battlechest by the time I finish, am I right? :)

As a graduate student myself, my video game time is pretty limited. I also try to play games that have more than a few hours of playtime. Backlist as of now:

PS3:

Valkyria Chronicles
Oblivion
Bioshock
Disgaea 3
Devil May Cry 4

Xbox360:

Fable 2

don't want to bother typing out games on my shelf that i have not touched or only played a couple hours of, but my newest addition to my backlog that i just bought today.

Paper Mario (cube)
Skies of Arcadia (cube)
Izuna 2 (DS)
Castlevania Lament of Innocence (Ps2)
DragonQuest 8 (PS2)
Psychonauts (xbox)

Five years ago the list would have been incredibly long...but given extreme boredom and a lot of free time, it's gone down considerably. Granted I don't always play til 100%, but I try to focus. Of course, some of these listed are shocking to myself, but then I realized I just lost interest almost near completion and just never bothered...

:360:Half-Life 2, Ep 1&2
:ps3:LittleBigPlanet
:ps2:FF7&8
:ps2:GTA3
:wii:RE4
:pc:Strongbad Season 1
:pc:Darwinia
Skies of Arcadia (DC)

...probably others that have simply just been lost in the three or so moves in the past two years.

About 200 of my 230 original XBox games. Now that I have a 360 backlog, I doubt I'll ever go back..

Hell, my copy of Psychonauts is still sealed.

I counted the other day and there was well in excess of 50 sitting here in my house spread over several consoles (DS, Wii, 360, PS2, GC) that I feign hope that I will one day spend meaningful time with. In the meantime, however, I've found myself caught up with the "Ooooh, shiny new" of TLaD, Halo Wars and 50Cent: BotS.

But the one that nags me the most is Mass Effect. I bought it the week it was launched and that was the worst gaming purchase I've ever made. Not that the game is bad. Quite frankly, I dont know how the game is as it, and the guide and artbook are still neatly sealed in the cellophane.

It was really a bad call getting the game, a case where hpye overrode practicallity. I had just bought Assassin's Creed the week before (and hadnt even had a chance to play *that* by the time I bought ME). It takes me a long time to finish games due to little free time and bit of a completist streak (no, I didnt search out all the flags in AC :)). By the time I finished AC, I didnt want to play another long game so I dicked around with things like stuntman, Simpsons, Kameo.

When I was finally ready for a meatier game, GTA was staring me in the face so I had to play that. Then it was back to pint sized games, mostly cause that's when I got a Wii. Puzzlers ruled the mid-summer with Braid, Prof. Layton, and Zack & Wiki. As well as getting into sports games like Super Swing Golf 2 and NCAA football 09. As we got in the 4th quarter rush, I got swirled up in the Fable 2 wave, which was a huge waste of a month of gaming time (IMO)

In the late fall, my son was born so very little gaming was done then. It was either games with the fam or more bite-sized gaming; mostly music games like Singstar, Battle of the Bands, RB & GH.

This year has seen me finish Halo Wars & TLaD, and I'm on the last boss (I think) in Puzzle Quest. I just started on BotS (thanks MicroCenter). I'm tentatively queuing up Mass Effect as my April game. But who knows, I'm fickle so I might end up with a new flavor of the month.

Gotta get to it though before ME3 drops :)

EDIT: @Scorch: I too have a sealed Psychonauts, but mine is for the PS2. Got it for ~$9.xx on clearance @ Circuit City (RIP). And how far have you gotten in BotS? I, generally, suck at gaming compared to most here, but I'd like to play a little co-op (assuming, of course, that you're not an asshole ;))

The Orange Box.

Its a great game and thats why I was shocked that I never finished it...yet

there are a bunch that are in the back log but really I will get to them when I can The Orange Box is a need to play ASAP

Littlebigplabet, resistance 2, warhawk, and socom confrontation come to mind.

I'd also like to get back into gta4 and mass effect as well.

Hell, I still need to beat the kotor games for the og xbox. It will happen, eventually..

I dropped GTA4 after sinking tons of time into it. I'm over 75% done, just haven't gotten around to it. Fable 2 I'm about halfwaythrough, but got dropped when Killzone 2 came out. Yakuza 2, Persona 4, MGS4,Heavenly Sword, Mercenaries 2 still wrapped. about 30 hours into Persona 3 FES, so hopefully that will be done soon.

I'm not as bad as some other CAGS, but still. Also, for those with Persona 3 in your backlogs, give yourself a couple hours to play into it. Its such a unique experience, I love it.

bread's done
Back