Backwards Compat. Question: Region Free?

Logain8955

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I did a search and didn't hit anything, so my apologies if this has already been asked.

With the 60GB PS3 model, I know that the PS3 games are region free. Is the Backwards Compatibility region free as well?

I'm looking at buying a PS3 from a friend, and being able to import Initial D, Melty Blood Act Cadenza and the Super Robot Wars games is a big plus for me, it'd tide me over until MGS4 and Little Big Planet.

Thanks for the help :)

....that's retarded.

Damnit. Well, I might just import a Japanese PS3, keep my old PS2 for American ps2 games and use the PS3 for Japanese ps2 games.

Doesn't make any sense to region lock the backwards compatibility.

Oh well, thanks for the info.

[quote name='Logain8955']Doesn't make any sense to region lock the backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. Two problems I have with the PS3 at the moment - the absurd region lock on PS1/PS2 games, and the sheer lack of support for PSX downloads and demo availability on the PSN Store.

I think the official Sony line is that while PS3 games are region free, but PS1/2 games weren't, so that persists on the PS3. And yeah, that's totally stupid. If the PS3 had region-free backwards compatibility, I would have picked one up day one.

I wonder if they could remove the region lock as part of a firmware update. I seriously doubt they would, but who knows... with the PS Blog now, Sony seems to be listening to its customers. Maybe if enough of us ask for it, they would consider it.

I know the reason for not having region free compatibility in the past was a fiscal one, but now that the release of games in the west as well as the far east has drastically slowed down, removing the region lock would seem to be a financial winfall for Sony since it could potentially drive sales of certain old imports.

Will this region lock persist in later models wherein the hardware that currently enables BC is replaced with emulation software? I apologize if I'm repeating questions raised more subtly elsewhere--I read over the thread and couldn't answer for myself.

[quote name='dothog']Will this region lock persist in later models wherein the hardware that currently enables BC is replaced with emulation software? I apologize if I'm repeating questions raised more subtly elsewhere--I read over the thread and couldn't answer for myself.[/quote]

Should still be in place. I think it for legal reasons (?). I saw it explained somewhere before but not sure about the details.

Anyway, Jack T. DID mention that it would be cool to over games from other regions plus PS2 games. Think he was speaking about the PSN so there might be some options for Sony that way.

bread's done
Back