Backwards compatibility gone after HDD transfer

lwh1993

CAGiversary!
I purchased a new 120 GB HDD to upgrade my 20 GB drive. I did the transfer and everything seemed fine until I tried to play some of my old xbox games and they no longer worked. They previously worked on my 20 GB HDD and the new HDD even shows my saves.

Any idea on how to get Backwards compatibility back?

Thanks,

Todd

Are you connected to xbox live? I haven't tried in a while, but you used to have to download something for original xbox games to play on your 360. You would only be prompted to download if you were connected to live when you tried to play the game.

Also, the online functionality is gone for the original xbox games, so that might be causing some problems.

if it wasn't a retail package, then someone probably sold you a regular HD they partitioned themselves.

to play xbox games there needs to be a second hidden partition which most people forget to do when setting up the HD. A retail / official MS setup would come with one.

I bought it through Buy.com, but it didn't come with the transfer cable or disc. It looked legit, but it probably was a standard drive. Oh well I guess I'll do without the backwards compatibility

[quote name='lwh1993']I bought it through Buy.com, but it didn't come with the transfer cable or disc. It looked legit, but it probably was a standard drive. Oh well I guess I'll do without the backwards compatibility[/QUOTE]If it didn't come with the transfer cable, it wasn't a new, retail-packed drive.

All 120GB and 250GB retail-packed drives come with the transfer cable include. 60GB drives didn't.

You ended up with a hacked/non-retail drive. You don't get BC with those drives, normally.

[quote name='lwh1993']I bought it through Buy.com, but it didn't come with the transfer cable or disc.[/QUOTE]

If you bought it from Buy.com, it was probably retail. My guess is it was a 3rd party seller selling on Buy.com. My experiences with 3rd parties on Buy.com have been horrible.

[quote name='turls']If you bought it from Buy.com, it was probably retail. My guess is it was a 3rd party seller selling on Buy.com. My experiences with 3rd parties on Buy.com have been horrible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I doubt Buy would ship a bogus drive. OP, did you get it from a 3rd party on Buy?

Yep, "buy.com" has been selling cheap 3rd-party knockoff drives. I'd return it to get your money back, since Tiger is currently selling real MS 250gb drives for $70.

bread's done
Back