Backwards Compatible PS3

GreasyButton

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, anyone know why Sony took out the backwards compatibility feature in the PS3? It was one of the biggest selling points for me. Any information about how I can go about obtaining one would be appreciated! Thanks.

i always assumed they dropped it due to costs. if they took out some things here and there like bc and usb ports they could sell those stripped down systems cheaper and get more people to buy ps3's. bc was definelty the main selling point for me that and continued franchises( still cant wait for god of war 3 and i want to see a new sly cooper game).

There was a ton of negative reaction to the pricing on the BC PS3s, PS3 software wasn't selling well, and on top of that Sony was still selling PS2s at a healthy clip meaning the two were competing against each other. Sony decided its best solution to address all 3 problems was to remove BC.

Bottom-line: the PS3 is $200 less now than it was 2 years ago, 33% cheaper. Put that in perspective: that's like having a B2G1 deal, which people go wild for around here.

They cut $200 off the price of a PS3 in that short timespan by taking out nice but non-crucial features -- I don't know how else Sony could have done that without going deep into the red. Their choices were keep BC with smaller price cuts (wild ass guess: SACD + 2 USB ports + flash reader = $30, tops), which off of $599 is a "you gotta be kidding me" kind of price cut, or take BC out and at least be enticing enough to move some people who already had working PS2s. Many millions of people fall into that category.

Finally, the so-called "selling point" of BC is overrated. Using BC means using your expensive PS3 investment to do something that a $50 used PS2 could do nearly as well (heck, do better even, considering how there are ways to get rid of disc loading entirely). All electronics have a limited lifespan. The higher percentage of your PS3's life spent doing things that make full use of the expensive parts of the system (Blu-ray games and video, HD PSN games), the more the cost of the system is justified.

I've always thought the BC argument was hogwash. People say they have all these PS2 games they want to play, then they most likely have a PS2. A Ps2 is 129 new, or can be found used at pawn shops, EB games, Blockbuster, or other places. Point is, if you really want to play PS2 games then the only thing stopping you is you. Yes, its nice to have a simplified setup under your tv, and I acknowledge that. But if you really want a PS3 then that minor gripe should not stop you. Now price on the other hand.....

[quote name='GreasyButton']Hey guys, anyone know why Sony took out the backwards compatibility feature in the PS3? It was one of the biggest selling points for me. Any information about how I can go about obtaining one would be appreciated! Thanks.[/quote]

I have a 60gb BC ps3 for sale, PM sent.

[quote name='GreasyButton']Hey guys, anyone know why Sony took out the backwards compatibility feature in the PS3? It was one of the biggest selling points for me. Any information about how I can go about obtaining one would be appreciated! Thanks.[/quote]

"Because they're stupid. That's why everybody does everything."

[quote name='Dolemite1']I've always thought the BC argument was hogwash. People say they have all these PS2 games they want to play, then they most likely have a PS2. A Ps2 is 129 new, or can be found used at pawn shops, EB games, Blockbuster, or other places. Point is, if you really want to play PS2 games then the only thing stopping you is you. Yes, its nice to have a simplified setup under your tv, and I acknowledge that. But if you really want a PS3 then that minor gripe should not stop you. Now price on the other hand.....[/QUOTE]

All of you crying that BC is BS need to pull your heads out of your you-know-what. Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't important to millions of others. I have never owned a PS nor a PS2 and am proud of it. But there are games for them that I have wanted to play, I just don't like spending my hard earned cash on things that will break sooner rather than later. I was used to the NES, SNES, N64, GCN build quality (all of which I only ever had to buy one of and they still work to this day) and wasn't to enticed to buy $300 machines that were dropping like flies. So I missed out on tons of Sony exclusives over the years.

Then I broke my own rule. The Xbox dropped to $199. I bought one. Within a week the freakin' Thompson drive died. I tried taking it back to Wal-Mart but the backwards people at the WM in the little hillbilly town I was going to college in at the time swore up and down that they couldn't exchange electronics due to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. I tried to explain the DMCA to them, but to no avail. They were stupider than the dump I left in my toilet that morning. So I was stuck with an oversized doorstop. (Microshaft wanted something like $120 to send it in for repair.)

So I am back to buying only reliable electronics, which is whyI have only bought a Wii and 60GB PS3 this generation. I was thinking of buying a 360 when the Elite Jaspers finally hit, but now I have way too much to keep me busy between GCN, Wii, Homebrew, PS3 and PS2.

Anyway, the point is that I never bought a PS or PS2 because of crappy build quality. Then the 60GB PS3's (the most reliable console this generation) dropped to $499. I was able to snag one off of Amazon for $474 shipped and get 10 or 11 free Blu-ray movies (which still retailed at $34.99 at the time) and was able to play my backlog of PS1 and PS2 games I had saved up over the years. I consider that another $129.99 off the price I paid and my "PS2" is much more reliable than yours to boot.

Mine is an extreme example of frugality and patience, but there are many out there who have never had a PS2 or theirs broke and they don't want to fork over the dough for a new one since the PS3 is just a couple hundred extra and it should still be able to play old gen games. If PS3s still had BC, that is $130 you can say you are saving, making the huge price tag all the more easy to swallow.

[quote name='MorPhiend']All of you crying that BC is BS need to pull your heads out of your you-know-what. Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't important to millions of others. [/QUOTE]

Exactly- my BF doesn't want to get a PS3 unless he can get one of the older BC/memory card slot systems. He doesn't like the clutter and he's almost paranoid about making backups of his data, so it's important stuff to him. (He's only wavering becuase he likes to buy his systems new, and he can't do that now.)

On the flip side, I'm not so set on all the backup data, and I'm used to the clutter around my TV... plus, I get a lil' attached to my systems (I still wish I'd kept my PS1!) so I really don't mind having 9 systems set up instead of 8. In fact, I'm kind of proud of the setup. :D

Oh, and just to support the rest of your argument... I've had excactly 2 systems ever break on me: a used Sega CD that barely worked when I got it, and the PS2 (luckily while they were still fixing them for free.) Give it time, though- I got a 360 for Christmas, so...

[quote name='willardhaven']I feel the same way.[/QUOTE]

That's another good point, BTW.

DLS, did you get an arcade? Maybe you lucked out and got a Jasper. Does your AC adapter label have a 150W output? If so, your 360 may just last (until right after the warranty).

And I just have to add, I have been anti-Sony for a long time. I was even anti-Sony when I got my 60GB PS3 (I just knew it was my best chance to get in on one). But it wasn't a month until I had done a complete 180. Part of that is because of all the PS2 games I suddenly had access to. I

[quote name='MorPhiend']DLS, did you get an arcade? Maybe you lucked out and got a Jasper. Does your AC adapter label have a 150W output? If so, your 360 may just last (until right after the warranty).
[/QUOTE]

It was an Arcade, but the output appears to be 175W (That's what I found on the big-block-with-the-light-in-it, anyway.) *shrugs* I'm not too concerned... I'm entirely too wrapped in Little Big Planet right now anyway. :D

Upconverting PS2 games to 1080 is putting lipstick on a pig. When I used to play PS2 games on my 60GB, I turned off upscaling on 9 out of 10 games for 2 reasons: 1. even when they look better, they still look terrible, and 2. the 60GB gets LOUD (the non-BC SKUs are much quieter because of fewer components and smaller process, from 90 down to 45) and upconversion is the only thing you can do that directly affects how hot the PS3 runs.

My point isn't that BC is not a nice feature. All features are nice, but not all are $100 worth of nice. People who valued having BC and other cut features should have bought one when it was very well known that Sony was phasing them out.There was plenty of time to make a choice between a new BC console or saving $100. If you didn't get one before they were gone, then it's a fact that those features were not really worth $100 to you. Complaining so long after the fact about BC is more of an excuse than the real reason you didn't get one (price, price, price). From a business standpoint, with over 140 million PS2s sold to date, the ones who still don't have PS2s are a small minority and if Sony still made BC PS3s, that segment would be split even smaller by those who just want a PS2 and those who actually care for PS3 features. How many people who skipped the PS2 last generation can Sony honestly bank on buying a more expensive BC PS3? I don't blame them for focusing on the more reliable segment comprised of previous PS2 owners, to whom BC is hardly crucial.

The PS2 hasn't been unreliable in years. Just get a used one and an exchange warranty. If you have sooo many PS2 games you want to play that you would seriously consider using a significant amount of your hypothetical PS3's lifetime playing them, then might I suggest playing them on the PS2 and waiting until the PS4 comes out to get a PS3? Then you can have your cake (PS2 functionality) and eat it too (not pay a lot for a PS3). Finally, the footprint of the PS2 is now so tiny that the whole "dealing with another piece of hardware" issue does not end up looking to be a complaint worth $100.

[quote name='MorPhiend']All of you crying that BC is BS need to pull your heads out of your you-know-what. Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't important to millions of others. I have never owned a PS nor a PS2 and am proud of it. But there are games for them that I have wanted to play, I just don't like spending my hard earned cash on things that will break sooner rather than later. I was used to the NES, SNES, N64, GCN build quality (all of which I only ever had to buy one of and they still work to this day) and wasn't to enticed to buy $300 machines that were dropping like flies. So I missed out on tons of Sony exclusives over the years.

Then I broke my own rule. The Xbox dropped to $199. I bought one. Within a week the freakin' Thompson drive died. I tried taking it back to Wal-Mart but the backwards people at the WM in the little hillbilly town I was going to college in at the time swore up and down that they couldn't exchange electronics due to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. I tried to explain the DMCA to them, but to no avail. They were stupider than the dump I left in my toilet that morning. So I was stuck with an oversized doorstop. (Microshaft wanted something like $120 to send it in for repair.)

So I am back to buying only reliable electronics, which is whyI have only bought a Wii and 60GB PS3 this generation. I was thinking of buying a 360 when the Elite Jaspers finally hit, but now I have way too much to keep me busy between GCN, Wii, Homebrew, PS3 and PS2.

Anyway, the point is that I never bought a PS or PS2 because of crappy build quality. Then the 60GB PS3's (the most reliable console this generation) dropped to $499. I was able to snag one off of Amazon for $474 shipped and get 10 or 11 free Blu-ray movies (which still retailed at $34.99 at the time) and was able to play my backlog of PS1 and PS2 games I had saved up over the years. I consider that another $129.99 off the price I paid and my "PS2" is much more reliable than yours to boot.

Mine is an extreme example of frugality and patience, but there are many out there who have never had a PS2 or theirs broke and they don't want to fork over the dough for a new one since the PS3 is just a couple hundred extra and it should still be able to play old gen games. If PS3s still had BC, that is $130 you can say you are saving, making the huge price tag all the more easy to swallow.[/quote]

I've actually NEVER heard of the original playstation having any issues...

[quote name='surak']Upconverting PS2 games to 1080 is putting lipstick on a pig. When I used to play PS2 games on my 60GB, I turned off upscaling on 9 out of 10 games for 2 reasons: 1. even when they look better, they still look terrible, and 2. the 60GB gets LOUD (the non-BC SKUs are much quieter because of fewer components and smaller process, from 90 down to 45) and upconversion is the only thing you can do that directly affects how hot the PS3 runs.

My point isn't that BC is not a nice feature. All features are nice, but not all are $100 worth of nice. People who valued having BC and other cut features should have bought one when it was very well known that Sony was phasing them out.There was plenty of time to make a choice between a new BC console or saving $100. If you didn't get one before they were gone, then it's a fact that those features were not really worth $100 to you. Complaining so long after the fact about BC is more of an excuse than the real reason you didn't get one (price, price, price). From a business standpoint, with over 140 million PS2s sold to date, the ones who still don't have PS2s are a small minority and if Sony still made BC PS3s, that segment would be split even smaller by those who just want a PS2 and those who actually care for PS3 features. How many people who skipped the PS2 last generation can Sony honestly bank on buying a more expensive BC PS3? I don't blame them for focusing on the more reliable segment comprised of previous PS2 owners, to whom BC is hardly crucial.

The PS2 hasn't been unreliable in years. Just get a used one and an exchange warranty. If you have sooo many PS2 games you want to play that you would seriously consider using a significant amount of your hypothetical PS3's lifetime playing them, then might I suggest playing them on the PS2 and waiting until the PS4 comes out to get a PS3? Then you can have your cake (PS2 functionality) and eat it too (not pay a lot for a PS3). Finally, the footprint of the PS2 is now so tiny that the whole "dealing with another piece of hardware" issue does not end up looking to be a complaint worth $100.[/quote]

I've never had a problem with noise on my 60 GB that is BC.

[quote name='blackhole82']I've never had a problem with noise on my 60 GB that is BC.[/quote]

It's a common issue. Just do a search on AVS Forum and you'll get a number of threads about it. It's a fact that the newer PS3s use less power, run cooler, and are therefore quieter.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']is a 60gb ps3 with 320hd used for $450 a good deal? comes with sixaxis.[/quote]

With original cables, I'll bite at $400 personally.

This is a personal experience: I was waiting to buy a PS3 once it dropped in price and once it did.. BC was gone and I had sold my fat PS2. I waited for a bit and it seemed like they weren't going to bring back BC. Just doing some calculations.. it was actually cheaper to get the PS2 and PS3 separately than to get a semi-used 60GB PS3. People complain, but I don't see what's so wrong with having both a PS2 and PS3. Space? Wires and cords? C'mon.. the new PS2 is slim as hell. ;)

[quote name='maxim2boobles']is a 60gb ps3 with 320hd used for $450 a good deal? comes with sixaxis.[/QUOTE]
That's not too bad if the quality is pretty good. That's the thing with buying used. It's near impossible to tell what kind of care has been taken for the machine. I myself have the PS3 in a well ventilated spot, not tucked away in a crowded shelf. I also keep the place dusted and vacuumed. And on the rare occasion it is transported, it is wrapped up nicely and padded and it gets a seat in my car with something to stabilize it from sliding around. It never goes in the trunk.

But most people don't care for their systems that way. So it's risky buying used.

There are also some 60GB models on Amazon's marketplace if you or the OP are intersted. They are in the low $400's.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VXAM0
[quote name='kurokubushi']I've actually NEVER heard of the original playstation having any issues...[/QUOTE]Well, there were a few problems. But one of the more pervasive problems was that after so many hours of use, the spring on the spindle apparatus didn't support the disc right. The simple fix was to play your games with the system upside down. I doubt that the PSOne had the same problems. But either way, it would probably not concern me too much these days since my gaming is limited. But back then I was in high school and I spent ridiculous hours on gaming. At launch I had limited funds and decided on the N64 instead (and never regretted it). Then later the problems started popping up and I never trusted spending so much money on something that would break on me.
[quote name='blackhole82']I've never had a problem with noise on my 60 GB that is BC.[/QUOTE]Me either. The only problem I have ever had is my retarded roommate who would start a movie on it while wearing nothing but shorts and turning the heater way up because he was too cold and then going in his bedroom and leaving it on pause or on the DVD menu. Then I would come home and it would sound like there was an Xbox 360 in my apartment. But other than retarded user problems, I have never had issues with my PS3.
[quote name='surak']My point isn't that BC is not a nice feature. All features are nice, but not all are $100 worth of nice. People who valued having BC and other cut features should have bought one when it was very well known that Sony was phasing them out.There was plenty of time to make a choice between a new BC console or saving $100. If you didn't get one before they were gone, then it's a fact that those features were not really worth $100 to you. Complaining so long after the fact about BC is more of an excuse than the real reason you didn't get one (price, price, price). From a business standpoint, with over 140 million PS2s sold to date, the ones who still don't have PS2s are a small minority and if Sony still made BC PS3s, that segment would be split even smaller by those who just want a PS2 and those who actually care for PS3 features. How many people who skipped the PS2 last generation can Sony honestly bank on buying a more expensive BC PS3? I don't blame them for focusing on the more reliable segment comprised of previous PS2 owners, to whom BC is hardly crucial.[/QUOTE]You're still whining about something that you claim to not care about. The fact still remains that other people do. And apparently so do you if you are willing to whine so long and so much.

[quote name='surak']The PS2 hasn't been unreliable in years. Just get a used one and an exchange warranty. If you have sooo many PS2 games you want to play that you would seriously consider using a significant amount of your hypothetical PS3's lifetime playing them, then might I suggest playing them on the PS2 and waiting until the PS4 comes out to get a PS3? Then you can have your cake (PS2 functionality) and eat it too (not pay a lot for a PS3). Finally, the footprint of the PS2 is now so tiny that the whole "dealing with another piece of hardware" issue does not end up looking to be a complaint worth $100.[/QUOTE]Okay. Get a used PS2 because I have a hypothetical PS3. Did you even read what I wrote? I have a 60GB PS3. And I got a great deal on it. Why would I want a used piece of trash on my entertainment center?

Let me re-walk you through it since you were too dense to get it the first time around. PS3 launched at the end of 2006 for "599 US dollars...". About eight months later when the price was $499, I got a new one for $474 shipped with around 10 free Blu-ray movies. Let's be conservative and say it was only 8 movies and even though retail on them was still $35 back then, let's say each of them should have been $20. Then let's say I saved myself $130 by not having to buy a PS2. 8*20=160+130=290. $474(what I paid)-$290 in bonus features for me=$184 for a 60GB PS3 8 months after launch. How can you seriously not see the value of the PS3's BC for someone who doesn't currently own or never did own a PS3? I mean, even today without the bonus movies being given away, $100 for BC or $130 extra for a separate PS2 that just clutters things up and takes up free space that could be used for circulating clean, cool air to the PS3. Apparently you like throwing money away. I don't. And I like to have a nice looking home too. That means avoiding unnecessary clutter.

BTW, why are you even in a thread made by someone who is looking for a good deal on something if all you are doing is ripping on that product?

[quote name='surak']It's a fact that the newer PS3s use less power, run cooler, and are therefore quieter.[/QUOTE]Wow, you're a freaking genius. No one is arguing that, Einstein.

[quote name='mis0']This is a personal experience: I was waiting to buy a PS3 once it dropped in price and once it did.. BC was gone and I had sold my fat PS2. I waited for a bit and it seemed like they weren't going to bring back BC. Just doing some calculations.. it was actually cheaper to get the PS2 and PS3 separately than to get a semi-used 60GB PS3. People complain, but I don't see what's so wrong with having both a PS2 and PS3. Space? Wires and cords? C'mon.. the new PS2 is slim as hell. ;)[/quote]

At one time I owned ps2, xbox, xbox 360 and a gamecube, I solved this issie by just using muti-tap cabels.

[quote name='MorPhiend']That's not too bad if the quality is pretty good. That's the thing with buying used. It's near impossible to tell what kind of care has been taken for the machine. I myself have the PS3 in a well ventilated spot, not tucked away in a crowded shelf. I also keep the place dusted and vacuumed. And on the rare occasion it is transported, it is wrapped up nicely and padded and it gets a seat in my car with something to stabilize it from sliding around. It never goes in the trunk.

But most people don't care for their systems that way. So it's risky buying used.

There are also some 60GB models on Amazon's marketplace if you or the OP are intersted. They are in the low $400's.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VXAM0
Well, there were a few problems. But one of the more pervasive problems was that after so many hours of use, the spring on the spindle apparatus didn't support the disc right. The simple fix was to play your games with the system upside down. I doubt that the PSOne had the same problems. But either way, it would probably not concern me too much these days since my gaming is limited. But back then I was in high school and I spent ridiculous hours on gaming. At launch I had limited funds and decided on the N64 instead (and never regretted it). Then later the problems started popping up and I never trusted spending so much money on something that would break on me.
Me either. The only problem I have ever had is my retarded roommate who would start a movie on it while wearing nothing but shorts and turning the heater way up because he was too cold and then going in his bedroom and leaving it on pause or on the DVD menu. Then I would come home and it would sound like there was an Xbox 360 in my apartment. But other than retarded user problems, I have never had issues with my PS3.
You're still whining about something that you claim to not care about. The fact still remains that other people do. And apparently so do you if you are willing to whine so long and so much.

Okay. Get a used PS2 because I have a hypothetical PS3. Did you even read what I wrote? I have a 60GB PS3. And I got a great deal on it. Why would I want a used piece of trash on my entertainment center?

Let me re-walk you through it since you were too dense to get it the first time around. PS3 launched at the end of 2006 for "599 US dollars...". About eight months later when the price was $499, I got a new one for $474 shipped with around 10 free Blu-ray movies. Let's be conservative and say it was only 8 movies and even though retail on them was still $35 back then, let's say each of them should have been $20. Then let's say I saved myself $130 by not having to buy a PS2. 8*20=160+130=290. $474(what I paid)-$290 in bonus features for me=$184 for a 60GB PS3 8 months after launch. How can you seriously not see the value of the PS3's BC for someone who doesn't currently own or never did own a PS3? I mean, even today without the bonus movies being given away, $100 for BC or $130 extra for a separate PS2 that just clutters things up and takes up free space that could be used for circulating clean, cool air to the PS3. Apparently you like throwing money away. I don't. And I like to have a nice looking home too. That means avoiding unnecessary clutter.

BTW, why are you even in a thread made by someone who is looking for a good deal on something if all you are doing is ripping on that product?

Wow, you're a freaking genius. No one is arguing that, Einstein.[/quote]

Dude, it ain't all about you (here's a hint: if it were, I'd have quoted or @ed you). I also suggest getting over your need for approval over your purchases. :roll: And accusing me of writing too much is not a valid counter-argument. Stones in glass houses...

Both the OP and DuelLadyS's boyfriend are the people who didn't get a BC PS3 back when they were $499 retail, yet want one now. My argument, supported by DuelLadyS herself and mis0, is that having both a PS2 and non-BC PS3 is not a big deal. Why am I posting on the thread? Well, this is a deal site and paying market price for a used BC PS3 rather than a new PS2 and PS3 isn't objectively a good deal. People irrationally think that it's a must-have feature when it's just not. Period.

[quote name='surak']Dude, it ain't all about you (here's a hint: if it were, I'd have quoted or @ed you). I also suggest getting over your need for approval over your purchases. :roll: And accusing me of writing too much is not a valid counter-argument. Stones in glass houses...

Both the OP and DuelLadyS's boyfriend are the people who didn't get a BC PS3 back when they were $499 retail, yet want one now. My argument, supported by DuelLadyS herself and mis0, is that having both a PS2 and non-BC PS3 is not a big deal. Why am I posting on the thread? Well, this is a deal site and paying market price for a used BC PS3 rather than a new PS2 and PS3 isn't objectively a good deal. People irrationally think that it's a must-have feature when it's just not. Period.[/QUOTE]

I don't need nor want your sorry approval. I'm trying to demonstrate how buying a BC PS3 can actually be way cheaper in the grand scheme of things than buying multiple machines to achieve the same purpose. I was giving a very specific example because you seem to think anything anyone says is only hypothetical or anecdotal.

And again, learn to read. I didn't say it's not okay to type a lot. I simply said you were whining a lot over some feature you claim to not care for.

The OP asked for good ways to get a PS3. So stop pissing and moaning that people besides yourself want BC. It's a legitimate want for some people. The OP wants it, let him want it.

[quote name='surak']It's a common issue. Just do a search on AVS Forum and you'll get a number of threads about it. It's a fact that the newer PS3s use less power, run cooler, and are therefore quieter.[/quote]

Thats the reason I got rid of my 60gb too darn loud now I need to buy another system but I was afraid of that blowing up on me.

bread's done
Back