backwards compatible PS3

Yo Mama

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I am finally looking to buy a new PS3, but I still want the ability to play kingdom hearts and the original katmari. What are my options?

you can buy an older phat model but theres a good chance it will die on you. with sony now adding ps2 titles to psn maybe someday kh or katamari will end up on it but i dont know.

Don't bother. The older systems are known to die from YLOD (had one die on me after a year of light use).
Instead, keep your old ps2, or find a slim ps2 on a deal.
The ps3 may not die as often as the 360, but it is far from the reliability of old consoles.

PS3.jpg

http://thirdworldgeek.com/is-your-ps3-backward-compatible/

this is the best I can do. The only way to know is the sku or model number at the end of the serial number. Obviously someone selling it will advertise it as bc

if you can find a reballed fat ps3(not a reflowed), then you should be safe from ylod. any ps3 not just the fat ones can get ylod even slims get it.

If you're at all handy, you can do alright with a used phat. I bought a CECHE01 for $50 as a second unit that the lady said was locking up in games. It was just chuck full of dust and the thermal paste had cooked away. I field stripped it all the way down, cleaned it out and re-pasted the heatsinks to the chips with some quality thermal paste. All back together & it runs perfectly. The fan doesn't even have to shift gears most of the time! They just need to be kept cool & clean like any other computer. The trick is finding one that hasn't already baked itself to death from neglect. Good luck.

ps2's are dirt cheap on ebay. you can even find 1 with decent games and a memory card for 40 or less. just shop smart using the sellers feedback and stars system.
protip: never purchase off a seller with less than 40 stars.

Yeah, don't buy a fat model. It probably died before or about to die. While the fat is solid, after 3-4 years is when it will start to have issues. Just buy a slim if you want to play PS3 games. If you want to play PS2 games, stick to a PS2.

bread's done
Back