Backwards Compatible

DigitalNerd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
Does anyone know if the the Ps3 is compatible with the Ps2 games?

I have a crapload of Ps2 and I dont really want to upgrade to the Ps3 if my games wont work.

I've searched the internet and some places say yes, while others say no.. so I'm not sure what to believe... so I turn to you guys.

I have heard that some of the PS3 models are not compatible. I don't know for sure the systems that play the older games.

some are some arent to date they dont make bc ps3's anymore you can still find them in diff stores mostly used though. this link will each you everything you need to know and if you want a bc system check gamestop , amazon, ebay , craiglist and even here on cag in the trade forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

[quote name='DigitalNerd']So the newer ones doesnt play the PS2 games?

fuck.[/QUOTE]It was removed to bring the PS3 cost to a more reasonable level (since either the GS or GS + EE was needed to run PS2 games on PS3. Adding the components required a larger circuit board, and adding extra components isn't exactly free).

The 20GB one has no card readers, but can play PS2 games; however, near impossible to find.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
The 20GB one has no card readers, but can play PS2 games; however, near impossible to find.[/QUOTE]
The all black finish is sexy as fuck. That alone makes the hunt worth it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The 20GB one has no card readers, but can play PS2 games; however, near impossible to find.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I forgot about that. Well, then there's no simple way of knowing whether it has BC. Since the size of the hard drive can be changed, and some 80GB consoles have BC and some don't. Guess you'll just have to check the model number.

from what I've found... 4 usb ports mean BC if two not.

I have a 60 GB BC ps3 but don't own one ps2 game....odd I know because I had to have one that was...

It's not an argument, and Besides I (myself) would perfer to only have one game console connetected to my tv so if I can find a backwards compatible Ps2 the logical solution would be get that one ;)

Well you can either wait for the firmwire update that may be able to make the ps3 play ps2 games through emulation IF sony does even release it or you can go out and find the 60 or 20 gig original model ps3s.

bread's done
Back