Bad film directors

Michael Bay and McG are the directors I hate the most.

I don't like George Lucas much either myself, but in addition to Star Wars (IV), THX-1138 is damn awesome.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='javeryh']
You are only as good as your last movie.[/quote]

When did that become the new standard?[/quote]

It's always been the standard in Hollywood. Chevy Chase has been in arguably 4 or 5 of the funniest movies ever made and he was great on SNL.... but that was a long time ago and right now he sucks. I'm not saying he sucks overall, just right now.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='javeryh']

I was wondering the same thing. I thought we were looking at overall achievements. Eyes Wide Shut is the only Kubrik film that I never liked, so if the rest are good and one is bad how is he a bad director?

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='pimpinc333']I'll go with Guy Ritchie.[/quote]

Umm, no. You have forfeited your right to have an opinion.

JK, but I disagree with you (although I have not seen Swept Away).[/quote]

I agree with you guessed. Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels are two awesome comdey of errors type movies. Very well written with excellent dialogue (sp). Swept Away is his only movie that I really can't stand at all but we all make mistakes. hasn't he himself once said that Swept Away was horrible?

[quote name='Kowalski']Michael Bay and McG are the directors I hate the most.

I don't like George Lucas much either myself, but in addition to Star Wars (IV), THX-1138 is damn awesome.[/quote]

McG is utterly the worst director I have ever seen. Even his music videos arent' that good.

John Landis sucks because he got Vic Morrow and those 2 Asian kids killed. Jerry Bruckheimer sucks because he makes movies for dumbasses - which sadly are wildly successful.

jerry bruckheimer

ok, so hes not a director, but hes rightly deserves a spot in any "worst of..." list that has anything to do with movies

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='javeryh']

It's always been the standard in Hollywood. Chevy Chase has been in arguably 4 or 5 of the funniest movies ever made and he was great on SNL.... but that was a long time ago and right now he sucks. I'm not saying he sucks overall, just right now.[/quote]

Define "good." Does good mean critical acclaim or box office? Hollywood could give shit one about critical acclaim unless it brings in MORE box office. If "good" means Ebert and Roper give it two thumbs up, but no one goes to see it, Hollywood considers that film a failure.

How "good" a movie is, is so subjective anyway. Some people go to the movies to turn their brain off and watch shit explode. So for them, Michael Bay is the king. Some people want to use their brain or see something unique, so they'll go with Wes Anderson or Alexander Payne. Different strokes for different folks.

So if you're going by the Hollywood definition of a good director, it's one that brings in the most money, not the one that wins the Oscar (unless the movie brought in a ton of money - in which case, the Oscar will bring in more).

and even though i dont know any of them by name, any director that has a "special Unrated version" of their movie on DVD generally sucks. Also, Whoever that demon spawn @$$hole that made aliens Vs Predator should top the list, whoever directs the pixar rip off Dreamworks CG movies.

Actually, lets just say which directors dont suck, would be a happier forum:)

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Let's not forget consumate hack Paul Anderson who gave us the inexcuseable Resident Evil and Aliens vs. Predator films. I don't understand how movie studios continue to give this chump money.[/quote]

In Paul Anderson's defense (which is getting harder for me to say every year -_-) he did do Event Horizon. It is, in my opinion, a very underated film and one of my favorites in the scifi/horror genre.

He deserves credit for doing a decent job on the first Mortal Kombat movie. One of the few video game movies that didn't outright suck or insult the source material. Too bad that wasn't the case for the RE movie.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']M. Night Shyamalan

This one-trick pony hasn't made a good flick after The Sixth Sense.[/quote]

I second that. After seeing Unbreakable in theatres (luckily I saw it as a pre-screening) and then actually PAYING to see Signs, I gave up on Night.

I hear the Village has an even STUPIDER twist! I won't even bother renting it.

oooh, i forgot about that pretensious "Genius". If i see another contrasting photo of him looking off into the distance, im gonna puke. His movies plots are simple, and his directing tries too hard.

[quote name='freestylenut'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']M. Night Shyamalan

I second that. After seeing Unbreakable in theatres (luckily I saw it as a pre-screening) and then actually PAYING to see Signs, I gave up on Night.

I hear the Village has an even STUPIDER twist! I won't even bother renting it.[/quote]

Same here. I paid to see Unbreakable since it reunites Willis and Sam Jackson. What a retarded idea to put Jackson in a huge 'fro and not let him cuss!

The Sixth Sense only worked because that kid (Haley) was damn good.

I'm glad some people are going along with me in stating that Michael Bay sucks.

I thought Pearl Harbor was an abomination.

Also in defense of George Lucas, he does know how to film action sequences better than other directors. A lot of movies now have too many close-ups of fight scenes, jarring camera movement and hyper-kinectic editing that gives you a headache. George on the other hand knows how to lens fight sequences that are exhillarating: The 2 on 1 lightsaber battle in Phantom Menace or the Yoda sword fight in Attack of the Clones. Those were great action sequences...

[quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='javeryh']

It's always been the standard in Hollywood. Chevy Chase has been in arguably 4 or 5 of the funniest movies ever made and he was great on SNL.... but that was a long time ago and right now he sucks. I'm not saying he sucks overall, just right now.[/quote]

Define "good." Does good mean critical acclaim or box office? Hollywood could give shit one about critical acclaim unless it brings in MORE box office. If "good" means Ebert and Roper give it two thumbs up, but no one goes to see it, Hollywood considers that film a failure.

How "good" a movie is, is so subjective anyway. Some people go to the movies to turn their brain off and watch shit explode. So for them, Michael Bay is the king. Some people want to use their brain or see something unique, so they'll go with Wes Anderson or Alexander Payne. Different strokes for different folks.

So if you're going by the Hollywood definition of a good director, it's one that brings in the most money, not the one that wins the Oscar (unless the movie brought in a ton of money - in which case, the Oscar will bring in more).[/quote]

yeah, you've got a point. I guess a movie is "good" if I like it... but that's not going to win any arguements around here... by the way, Wes Anderson might be my favorite director right now. Rushmore is on my top 5 list and The Life Aquatic was the first movie I've gone to the theaer to see since that crappy 3rd Matrix movie (it was great). The movies are a horrible experience nowadays... I generally dislike the public and not being able to pause and take a shit when I want to is annoying. Plus it is way too expensive and movies look and sound better in my living room anyway...

[quote name='tyecko']dude no one else liked Signs? That's my favorite of his by far.[/quote]

I liked it too. "It's contaminated"

This thread has become painful. Listing Shyamalan in the same negative list as crud like Bay is just plain stupid. And "stupider" isn't a word.

Go out and watch National Treasure again. God forbid you go see something that'll actually challenge you.

I think he is slightly overrated but I dont think he's a bad director. Then again, I never saw his last movie which seemed to cause an uproar.

[quote name='tyecko']dude no one else liked Signs? That's my favorite of his by far.[/quote]

it had some tense moments, but for the most part just a blatant rip-off retelling of the War of the Worlds radio broadcast, with some unsolved mysteries dramatizations thrown in.

and I guess there was some kind of undertone that Aliens are really Demons?

the best part is the "old movie i made as a kid" added feature on the DVD. now spielberg, and most other directors that do this kind of thing, you can see they had talent even as a kid, and some interesting ideas on film, but Night's was just stupid. A remote controlled monster walks around a couch. WOW, can you smell the genius maturing?

[quote name='tyecko']dude no one else liked Signs? That's my favorite of his by far.[/quote]I agree, Signs, then Sixth Sense.

[quote name='Xevious']Also in defense of George Lucas, he does know how to film action sequences better than other directors. A lot of movies now have too many close-ups of fight scenes, jarring camera movement and hyper-kinectic editing that gives you a headache. George on the other hand knows how to lens fight sequences that are exhillarating: The 2 on 1 lightsaber battle in Phantom Menace or the Yoda sword fight in Attack of the Clones. Those were great action sequences...[/quote]
Wrong, I'll never forgive him for destroying the tension in the final army battle of Attack of the Clones with that stupid ass bit with C-3PO swapping heads with a battle droid.

Don't slam Kubrick too hard for eyes wide shut, remeber he died 4 months before the movie got released. Thats a lot of time that he never had to improve it

[quote name='guardian_owl']
Wrong, I'll never forgive him for destroying the tension in the final army battle of Attack of the Clones with that stupid ass bit with C-3PO swapping heads with a battle droid.[/quote]

Ok....You got a point there. I'll give you that. I still stand by my earlier post though

[quote name='guardian_owl']I'll never forgive him for destroying the tension in the final army battle of Attack of the Clones with that stupid ass bit with C-3PO swapping heads with a battle droid.[/quote]

That was awful. What about the flying R2 scene? The love scenes? The dialogue? Ugh. Stop pandering to 7 year old kids.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']He deserves credit for doing a decent job on the first Mortal Kombat movie. One of the few video game movies that didn't outright suck or insult the source material. Too bad that wasn't the case for the RE movie.[/quote]

I liked the RE movies. Of course Milla's presence goes a loooong way with me.

I can't beleave everybody is forgetting Roland Emmerich!

Godzilla?
Independence Day?
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER?

Why has no one mentioned this hack yet?

I loved signs, also my favorite of his, then sixth sense.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='tyecko']dude no one else liked Signs? That's my favorite of his by far.[/quote]

I loved signs, also my favorite of his, then sixth sense.[/quote]
I loved it too.
*SPOILER*
The part where they show the alien on the tape still scares the crap outta me. The ending kinda reminded me of The Night of the Living Dead, where they're trapped in their house.

[quote name='6669'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='tyecko']dude no one else liked Signs? That's my favorite of his by far.[/quote]

I loved it too. The part where they show the alien on the tape still scares the crap outta me. The ending kinda reminded me of The Night of the Living Dead, where they're trapped in their house.[/quote]

The alien on the tape was very cool, but the ending was kinda dumb in my opinion...

The very ending was dumb, when

*SPOILER*

mel gibson was walking away, to become a priest again, like he had his faith restored. It became less lame the second or third time around when i watched, but still kinda lame, imo.

[quote name='peteloaf']I can't beleave everybody is forgetting Roland Emmerich!

Godzilla?
Independence Day?
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER?

Why has no one mentioned this hack yet?[/quote]

Youre right. Roland Emmerich sucks. I didnt know he directed Universal Soldier though. There was another post that no one acknowledge, Renny Harlin. He sucks too.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']The very ending was dumb, when

*SPOILER*

mel gibson was walking away, to become a priest again, like he had his faith restored. It became less lame the second or third time around when i watched, but still kinda lame, imo.[/quote]

What was even dumber... The Aliens weakness was water, so they come to a planet that 3/4 of it.

I hated Signs, every time it got going; they'd stop for a 'family moment'.

[quote name='peteloaf']I can't beleave everybody is forgetting Roland Emmerich!

Godzilla?
Independence Day?
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER?

Why has no one mentioned this hack yet?[/quote]
Probably because he directed one of my favorite sci-fi flicks from the 90's, Stargate.

Listen, my favorite director is between Lynch and Kubrick (IE I'm out there)

However Michael Bay makes some damn entertaining movies. They won't go in the "motion picture canon", but for a fireball-laden action blockbuster he's miles more entertaining then someone like Uwe Boll who belongs in everyone's post as the worst director evar. evar!! :p

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='javeryh']

So if you're going by the Hollywood definition of a good director, it's one that brings in the most money, not the one that wins the Oscar (unless the movie brought in a ton of money - in which case, the Oscar will bring in more).[/quote]

yeah, you've got a point. I guess a movie is "good" if I like it... but that's not going to win any arguements around here... by the way, Wes Anderson might be my favorite director right now. Rushmore is on my top 5 list and The Life Aquatic was the first movie I've gone to the theaer to see since that crappy 3rd Matrix movie (it was great). The movies are a horrible experience nowadays... I generally dislike the public and not being able to pause and take a shit when I want to is annoying. Plus it is way too expensive and movies look and sound better in my living room anyway... [/quote]

I'm in total agreement with you on the movie theater experience. It used to be a magical thing when I was a kid. Now it's just frustrating. You have to deal with cell phones, idiots talking, etc. Most movies end up as a bad experience and throwing down almost $20 for two tickets is insane.

I haven't seen "The Life Aquatic" yet but I really want to. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD though, for the exact reasons we both stated above.

[quote name='6669'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='tyecko']dude no one else liked Signs? That's my favorite of his by far.[/quote]

I loved it too.
*SPOILER*
The part where they show the alien on the tape still scares the crap outta me. The ending kinda reminded me of The Night of the Living Dead, where they're trapped in their house.[/quote]

Except the fake ass looking alien. I swear it was worse in the theatre than it is on DVD (the alien is what I am talking about)

If they would have left the "Alien" as only a reflection on the TV set it would have been 10 times better. But when they add some stupid ass looking costume then it ruined the wholde damn thing.

I still liked the movie but its not the greatest.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='6669'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='tyecko']dude no one else liked Signs? That's my favorite of his by far.[/quote]

I loved it too.
*SPOILER*
The part where they show the alien on the tape still scares the crap outta me. The ending kinda reminded me of The Night of the Living Dead, where they're trapped in their house.[/quote]

Except the fake ass looking alien. I swear it was worse in the theatre than it is on DVD (the alien is what I am talking about)

If they would have left the "Alien" as only a reflection on the TV set it would have been 10 times better. But when they add some stupid ass looking costume then it ruined the wholde damn thing.

I still liked the movie but its not the greatest.[/quote]

The DVD that I had crapped out at the alien scene and the ending, and I STILL didn't care. Just a bad movie.

I did like unbreakable though. Then again I read comics as a kid and I'm a mythology junkie.

I am with some of the others in this thread: Michael Bay SUCKS! The Rock was his best work, and it ranks as "watchable" for me.

And I a suprised that no one has mentioned Chris Columbus. God... awful... director.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']He deserves credit for doing a decent job on the first Mortal Kombat movie. One of the few video game movies that didn't outright suck or insult the source material. Too bad that wasn't the case for the RE movie.[/quote]

I liked the RE movies. Of course Milla's presence goes a loooong way with me.[/quote]

I too liked them. I really didn't think they are as bad as some people make them out to be. I find them to be some of the better game to movie adaptation I have seen.

Signs was okay the second time, but holy crap that was a stupid movie overall. The first time i watched it I just couldn't believe it, M. Night Shamalymalahani or whatever his crazy name is couldn't do worse. The movie is about nothing, I mean nothing happens it's really all suspense. And I hate movies that have an inference of religion or faith. It makes Christians feel really good and the rest of us like outsiders. So **** that stupid director and tell him to go back to Bollywood where he'd have to be a stagehand. Okay it really wasn't THAT bad but still I'm sick of that slow pace and religion.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']Sofia Coppola
The Wachowski Brothers[/quote]

Boo this man! Well, he's right about the W bros. They're in second place with the impossible-to-ruin sequel to The Matrix (behind Lucas, naturally).
Lost in Translation was a godsend.

since nobody else has said it yet, I'll throw fuel on the fire and say Tarantino. I'm sorry, I just don't understand why his movies are popular- especially the Kill Bill movies. A bunch of cliche and self-indulgent mess- I felt like I was watching something a gore-obsessed 14 year old would slap together- or possibly a marketing department

"what will our audience like? Blood? Oh yeah lots of that! How about anime? the kids love that stuff now" Sure we'll slap that in there somewhere!..."

And of course it couldnt be a Tarantino movie if he didnt throw some completely unnecessary and disturbing sex act in there.

bread's done
Back