Band Hero: Band Kit (PS3/360) $34.99 plus Free Shipping @ Newegg School-Ready Sale

Omega_ZX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hello CAGs!

Newegg is having a School-Ready Electronic sale, in which Band Hero: Band Kit on sale for $34.99.

360 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-081712-Index-_-Xbox360Games-_-74117100-L06D

PS3 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-EMC-081712-Index-_-PS3Games-_-79221183-L06C

Other noteworthy item is Dead Island: GOTY Edition for $19.99, also with free shipping.

360 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-081712-Index-_-Xbox360Games-_-74165023-L06A

PS3 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-EMC-081712-Index-_-PS3Games-_-79262048-L06B

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='krashhole']Thanks. Let us know what they say.[/QUOTE]

Trying to get a hold of them on chat is impossible. But after further research, it looks like the band hero kits never included the redesigned band hero drum kit in the US. You need to buy the Warriors of Rock bundle to get the new drums. False advertising since almost every picture at every retailer shows the new drum kit. Also if you sift through the Band Hero reviews on Amazon you can see plenty of others complaining about this too. Tried doing an RMA but newegg expects you to foot the bill for shipping which for this kit is 20$? Might just keep it for the guitar and wait for a cheap Warriors of Rock bundle to get the good drum kit, but defo makes this a so-so deal at best, at least for myself.

Edit: here is a good video on the differences between the old (world tour drum kit) and the new (band hero/warriors of rock drum kit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJS8OK7fwUM&feature=player_embedded#

man, I know you guys want the latest thing possible. but really. you're turning down a complete kit that only costs $35 because it's "not the latest"?

it's not like the old drums are terrible. I've had my drum kit forever (since 2009) and they're still great to play with. It's like a 2013 Lexus doesn't make the 2012 Lexus a dud.

I will say there is a possible issue that some people might have with the old drum set. There was some inconsistency in manufacturing for the drums. So some drum sets were not sensitive enough. Fine if you're playing medium or easy but at higher levels, you need more precision. So Activision provided a tuning kit, free of charge, by requesting one. With this kit, you can hook your drums to the PC and adjust the sensitivity to make it higher if it was a problem. Of course, it's been so long now and Guitar Hero is defunct so you probably can't get the kit any more. Luckily, my drums have been responsive so I don't use my kit.

The only reason this might be an issue is since Guitar Hero is dead, I'm not sure you can request the kit anymore. Whereas with the new drums, it's already included. From what I read, the newer drums have the kit included so that you can tune it in case it wasn't sensitive.

Sigh. Mine had a drum set that didn't register any hits. I called Activision support and the guy said he'll mail me a pre-paid mailing label so that I can mail back the old drums and get a new set. So, I gotta wait 2-3 weeks to rock out on drums.

In for a set...though I'm worried now that others are saying they have the old kits.

Granted, the warranty exchange sounds pretty good on these...I just hate to have to go through that on a new product.

[quote name='dirtyvu']huh??? where are you getting your info??? of course the Guitar Hero/Band Hero drums are wireless.

the only wired is the mic.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sorry, I misunderstood what I had read.

Mine is the old style drum kit too, but seemed to work ok when I tested it, granted I had it on easy when I tested it. I didn't notice the wire rot others had talked about.

Hm..well, since most people don't want the old drum kit this seems to come with, I hope this drops in price even further. I only want a guitar, but like many others, I can't find one for less than this whole set. I really don't want all the other peripherals either.. I think I'd just get rid of them.

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Best Buy is offering this Kit now for $49.99 - looks like Ship to Store is available for most locations.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=9405958%2C+9405672_&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q393430353935382c20393430353637325f~~ncabcat0700000%23%231%23%231&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

Also says the $10 code would be available as well (if it gets there in time I suppose.)

Awesome! I needed new drums. Even better - I placed the order Wednesday morning and the drums have already arrived! I didn't pay extra for shipping or anything. They shipped from Minnesota and I'm in Iowa, so it shipped in no time at all! Very impressed. After work I'll verify all of the instruments are functional.

Got mine old drums, but luckily there is no rot (yet, I'll test it more). I have the new ones too from Toys R Us from last year and the old ones I got today seem to be more responsive. Unfortunately my set is totally missing a microphone.

I doubt there were many production runs of the newer drum set for Warriors of Rock. Warriors of Rock sold very poorly and was not on the shelf very long before reaching clearance status.

And if you noticed stock inventories for WoR, there were very few full band kits available. Most, if not all stores, just stocked the guitar/game bundle and couldn't even sell those. Everyone saw the end coming with the lackluster sales of GH5/BH and RB3 and stocked appropriately for WoR.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I doubt there were many production runs of the newer drum set for Warriors of Rock. Warriors of Rock sold very poorly and was not on the shelf very long before reaching clearance status.

And if you noticed stock inventories for WoR, there were very few full band kits available. Most, if not all stores, just stocked the guitar/game bundle and couldn't even sell those. Everyone saw the end coming with the lackluster sales of GH5/BH and RB3 and stocked appropriately for WoR.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I've ever even seen the Warriors of Rock drums/full band kit in store (I got the guitar bundle, though). Not really a surprise that it bombed, though. It's like they tried to save the franchise by alienating all the casual gamers and trying to "appeal to their hardcore fanbase" by including a largely hard rock/metal soundtrack, a convoluted leveling system, and a heavy metal visual theme that looks like some sort of cheesy cross between KISS and Gwar or something...lol

I could have told you all that, only Europe's version of Band Hero got new drums, actually, the GHWOR Band Drums are the Euro Band Hero Drums. lol Sorry guys. :( I have those crap drums sitting next to my book shelf from a Band Hero bundle I bought last year, also had to get it replaced. Terrible piece of hardware.

I don't know what the scuttlebutt is about. I got my kit and the drums are fine. Don't know if they're new, old or from the distant future...but they work fine.

I'm sorry, maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but what's so bad about the drumset (I haven't opened mine yet to try them out)

From what I gather, the newer drums have a different setup, and supposedly are better? Not sure why so many people that ordered this thought they would get something different. I guess instead of complaining on here, they could always contact Newegg, pay about $20 and send the package back. Everyone that got in on this deal paid $35. The guitar alone is worth that.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I'm sorry, maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but what's so bad about the drumset (I haven't opened mine yet to try them out)[/QUOTE]

it's not bad. it's that people heard and want the newer drumset. newer is better, right?

from what I read and understand, the newer drums are better. but that doesn't mean the old drums are bad. the problems I see with the old drums compared to the new ones:

1) the pedal is strapped to bar in the new set which means it doesn't move around. on the old drums, the pedal is free to move around. It has rubber on the bottom but if you play on carpet, that pedal can end up a foot away from its starting position by the time you finish a song. If you play on hardwood or tile, the pedal should stay in place.

2) the old drum set doesn't have a storage place for your drum sticks. It does have a pair of tabs to keep your drum sticks in place but if you move your drums to storage when you're not playing, it's very easy to lose them (I almost did). The new drum set has an internal holder.

3) the old drums had the controls on top and at the back of the drums. which means you have to reach a good distance to control the guide button, d-pad, etc. If you're tall, it's less of a problem. The new drums have the control panel in front of the drums.

4) the last one is a positive or negative depending on your stance. on the old drums, your cymbals are triangular and stiff. but the height of the cymbal can be adjusted according to your height. on the newer drums, your cymbals are rounder but you can adjust them to flop. but you can't adjust the height of them.

I've played on my GH:WT drums for years now and it still works like a charm.

[quote name='whitereflection']The main issue with the old drums is that 1) The cymbals may stop working over time, and 2) The casing on the wires literally crumbles into dust.[/QUOTE]

How do I check the wires?

you literally look at the wires. the rubber outer cover will dry up and break off like brittle. it usually doesn't affect the performance of the drums themselves as my drums perform the same and one of the wires has broken through the outside crumbling rubber. I kept my drums in the garage when I don't use them so that was probably a factor too.

I filled out a request on the site and was never asked for a proof of purchase or anything. I received a label, UPS picked them up and the new set arrived today.

[quote name='Eggplant_Wizard']I filled out a request on the site and was never asked for a proof of purchase or anything. I received a label, UPS picked them up and the new set arrived today.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, sent the old kit off, received the new kit and couldn't be happier. This was a steal.

Were you guys using support.activision.com? I opened a ticket a while back and didn't hear anything from them...and when I look at the ticket, it still shows as "open".

EDIT: Nevermind. Damn email had filtered the UPS label instructions.

Do they send you a box like Sony does for PS3 repairs or do they just ask you to print out a shipping label? I need the Band Hero box to house the guitar and all the other crap.

[quote name='whitereflection']Do they send you a box like Sony does for PS3 repairs or do they just ask you to print out a shipping label? I need the Band Hero box to house the guitar and all the other crap.[/QUOTE]

They sent (I printed) a UPS label, and, attached it to my own cardboard shipping box. (I have plenty around, so, it wasn't a big deal to me.) They didn't send a "coffin".

bread's done
Back