BANGAI-O DS - dear god yes

Yeah I think it was announced a little while ago, I've only played a little bit of the DC version so I'd be interested in picking this up when it comes out.

That movie makes it appear this game will be very easy since you can use weapons that can kill everyone on your screen every second. Can we get some "real" game play movies please.

[quote name='laaj']That movie makes it appear this game will be very easy since you can use weapons that can kill everyone on your screen every second. Can we get some "real" game play movies please.[/quote]
Something tells me you've never played Bangai-O before...

[quote name='insertcleverthing'][quote name='laaj']That movie makes it appear this game will be very easy since you can use weapons that can kill everyone on your screen every second. Can we get some "real" game play movies please.[/quote]

Something tells me you've never played Bangai-O before...[/quote]

LOL, seconded. The Dreamcast version was pure awesome, and a ton of fun.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Something tells me you've never played Bangai-O before...[/QUOTE]

So Bangai-O is one of the easiest game ever? Every shot you fire kills everyone on screen?

[quote name='laaj']So Bangai-O is one of the easiest game ever? Every shot you fire kills everyone on screen?[/QUOTE]

ahhhh, the yung'uns...

[quote name='laaj']So Bangai-O is one of the easiest game ever? Every shot you fire kills everyone on screen?[/quote]
OK, I'll stop being snarky.

In Bangai-O you control a robot that is piloted by two people. One person fires heat seeking missiles while the other fires lasers that bounce off walls. The hook of the gameplay is that you can release a special move that depending on how "in danger you are of dying" gets exponentially more ridiculous. So if there are like ten bullets within an inch of your character and you release the special attack, 400 heat-seeking missiles or lasers (depending on who you are) will stream out of your robot like a glorious fire works display of death. It isn't that easy unless you get the timing and dodging down perfect, like most schmups. Additionally, this special move is powered by how much you destroy on screen (most enemies take multiple shots to kill). So this means you can string together specials as long as you are destroying lots of things with each attack and living dangerously. Otherwise, you will have to build up a special attack by shooting things with your gun normally.

So, no it’s not necessarily easy. Personally, it took me weeks to beat the last level of the DC game - that end boss was crazy hard. Also, the game is known and praised for its quirkiness. There are bosses who will speak in pictograms or taunt you while they sit apathetically receiving damage. You also collect “space fruit” for some unknown reason.

It's seriously one of the best games ever and I hope the DS version does it justice. The only thing I'm concerned about is eye strain since everything was already so tiny in the first place...

[quote name='insertcleverthing']
OK, I'll stop being snarky.

In Bangai-O you control a robot that is piloted by two people. One person fires heat seeking missiles while the other fires lasers that bounce off walls. The hook of the gameplay is that you can release a special move that depending on how "in danger you are of dying" gets exponentially more ridiculous. So if there are like ten bullets within an inch of your character and you release the special attack, 400 heat-seeking missiles or lasers (depending on who you are) will stream out of your robot like a glorious fire works display of death. It isn't that easy unless you get the timing and dodging down perfect, like most schmups. Additionally, this special move is powered by how much you destroy on screen (most enemies take multiple shots to kill). So this means you can string together specials as long as you are destroying lots of things with each attack and living dangerously. Otherwise, you will have to build up a special attack by shooting things with your gun normally.

So, no it’s not necessarily easy. Personally, it took me weeks to beat the last level of the DC game - that end boss was crazy hard. Also, the game is known and praised for its quirkiness. There are bosses who will speak in pictograms or taunt you while they sit apathetically receiving damage. You also collect “space fruit” for some unknown reason.

It's seriously one of the best games ever and I hope the DS version does it justice. The only thing I'm concerned about is eye strain since everything was already so tiny in the first place...[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the wiki article I read months ago but that above movie doesn't look anything like your game description. I hate it when companies release a so called game play trailers that doesn't honestly represent the real game play.

Edit>Just watched someone play the entire 1st level of DC version on Youtube. Not that special

[quote name='insertcleverthing']that end boss was crazy hard. Also, the game is known and praised for its quirkiness. There are bosses who will speak in pictograms or taunt you while they sit apathetically receiving damage. You also collect “space fruit” for some unknown reason.
It's seriously one of the best games ever and I hope the DS version does it justice. The only thing I'm concerned about is eye strain since everything was already so tiny in the first place...[/QUOTE]

end boss...
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=si8s5FV4-kc

craziness.

yeah, i hope they make good use of the dual screens.

i'm not too worried - it is treasure, after all.

im interested in this game
i missed my chance to play it on the dreamcast :(
when i first heard that they are making one for the ds i was wondering if they will bring it to NA and good news :)

[quote name='Sleepkyng']end boss...
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=si8s5FV4-kc

craziness.

yeah, i hope they make good use of the dual screens.

i'm not too worried - it is treasure, after all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah really like the other guys said GTFO. If you didn't play the DC version you don't know what you are missing. A good review of the original is over at IGN:

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164860p1.html

That video was crazy. I could swear that last level took me for ever to beat. And I almost never used the laser girl. I beat almost all the game using the missle guy.

I wish the game worked with the dreamcast VGA box. It's such a bitch to have to change cables on my DC to just play one game.

My first wish was this game makes it to XBLA, but I'll take the DS version.

Back when this came out on the DC, everyone was OMG they only made 30K of this game. Buy it now! And I did since like shumps, boy was I glad I did.

[quote name='laaj']That sounds like the wiki article I read months ago but that above movie doesn't look anything like your game description. I hate it when companies release a so called game play trailers that doesn't honestly represent the real game play.

Edit>Just watched someone play the entire 1st level of DC version on Youtube. Not that special[/quote]

That's because they changed the gameplay in Spirits. Instead of counter attacking based on how many enemy projectiles are flying at you, it's based on how many fruit you picked up to charge your super meter (This is how it was on the N64). Plus, the quadrupling of weapons (I know of at least six: Flame Thrower, Bullet Reflecting Bat, Bullet Absorbing Shield, Bullet Canceling Sword, Lasers, Homing Missiles.) has change the basic gameplay as well. You'll really have to play the game before going to judge it. Videos don't do the game justice.

I can't believe this is coming out so soon and with even more levels for us Americans. I hope Europe gets its shootin' on too!

EDIT: I really can't wait to get this game since my DC copy was bad and looked like what happens when you pull a 16bit cartridge game out of the slot while you are in the middle of playing. Yeah. It was/is that fucked up.

I posted this on gameFAQs section so I'll stick it on here also.

http://www.d3publisher.us/PressDetails.asp?ID=74

From D3's Press Release:
"Bangai-O Spirits provides gamers with addictive shooter gameplay, punishing supermoves and a sensory overload of fireworks onscreen, with strategic and tactical elements and TREASURE's quirky design style. The game also offers co-op, competitive multiplayer for 1-4 players via local wireless, a powerful level editor tool which allows players to edit in-game levels or create new ones from scratch, and the revolutionary new ability to transfer data among DS systems through sound data transfer technology known as Sound Load.

Never before utilized for DS systems, the Sound Load technology in Bangai-O Spirits allows players to transfer level data among DS handheld systems via the use of sound and the DS microphone. This technology works by taking the level data and turning it into a sound file which is output through the host DS speaker. This data is then interpreted through the microphone of the recipient DS, and the level transfer is complete!

It is also possible to upload and circulate sound files of level data from Bangai-O Spirits online via the Internet, or to save files to a recording device like a PC or jump drive for transport and distribution, allowing gamers to catalog, share and compare levels online easily with gamers all over the world! Widening the range of play and interaction even further, gamers can also deliver high score and gameplay footage as transferable sound files by using Sound Load. More details about this unique feature will be forthcoming soon."

[quote name='KingDox']
I wish the game worked with the dreamcast VGA box. It's such a bitch to have to change cables on my DC to just play one game. [/quote]

I also wish it worked. I did get it working once using the 'plug the box in just after the dc starts up' trick, but it was not full screen - at least I didn't have to switch cables and move to another room.

Have you heard of that trick?

That dreamcast was the most fun I've had with a console start to finish ever. I'm hoping the wii beats it someday.

I actually have played the Japanese version of this. Hate to be a downer, but I'm not impressed. The game is based around the ability to make your own levels and transmit them, and it does very little to make you think you aren't playing just a 100+ collections of one-off levels tossed together haphazardly. The weapon selection is nice, but most of the levels are are based off of silly gimmicks (Blow up a block to start a chain reaction that will block your path if you don't keep up, SURPRISE YOU SPAWN IN THE MIDDLE OF FOUR BIG GUNS.). I don't see a lot of the Treasure quality here. To me, this is closer to the helicopter level of Gunstar Heroes Advance and Wario World than it is actual Treasure classics.

Basically, there's a lot more silliness than I expected and a lot less balls-to-the-wall shooting action than I expected.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
Basically, there's a lot more silliness than I expected and a lot less balls-to-the-wall shooting action than I expected.[/quote]

I'm going to guess that you didn't play the original Bangai O?

Silliness and /avoiding/ balls to the wall typical shoot Em Up action is the point.

I can understand why you didn't enjoy it, however. It isn't for most people, admittedly.

No Gourd, he pretty much nailed it.

I'm a huge fan of Bangai-O; Probably one of my favorite games of all time.

The DS version, just doesn't cut it; They turned the sweeping levels into simple puzzles; it's a lot less reflex based than before. It feels like a completely different game, and not in a good way.

If you've never played this game before, don't put too much stock in those YouTube videos (great as they are). Those players make it look easy. The timing and strategy required to pull off those "full screen" attacks constantly is much more difficult than it looks.

Great game, a classic. Hoping the new one does the series justice. I'm interested in the new power up mechanic, too.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I actually have played the Japanese version of this. Hate to be a downer, but I'm not impressed. The game is based around the ability to make your own levels and transmit them, and it does very little to make you think you aren't playing just a 100+ collections of one-off levels tossed together haphazardly. The weapon selection is nice, but most of the levels are are based off of silly gimmicks (Blow up a block to start a chain reaction that will block your path if you don't keep up, SURPRISE YOU SPAWN IN THE MIDDLE OF FOUR BIG GUNS.). I don't see a lot of the Treasure quality here. To me, this is closer to the helicopter level of Gunstar Heroes Advance and Wario World than it is actual Treasure classics.

Basically, there's a lot more silliness than I expected and a lot less balls-to-the-wall shooting action than I expected.[/QUOTE]

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

[quote name='insertcleverthing']You from McAllen or something?[/QUOTE]

Parents live in Mcallen, I study undergraduate in Baylor. Its good to know that us mexicans dont run around all over Texas. Gives me heart a little more...variety.

Let me tell you, Going further north makes everything seem a lot more...nicer, cleaner, and higher quality. Social standards are totally different.

However, i know where home is. (As long as i dont come back too often)

[quote name='ihavenolife123']I dont know what to make of the reviewer. He totally praised this game, yet totally dissed Contra 4. I like contra 4. Plus hes a Treasure fanboy. Ugh.
I guess i need to wait for more reviews.[/quote]

I know what to make of the reviewer. 15 pounds of full of himself in a 5 pound bag. I have a whole new respect for Yahtzee after reading the meandering walls of text these dopes put out.

Let me put it this way... the yammering buffoon actually says this with a straight face and pretends to claim superiority over from those he is dismissing with it.
Likewise, when From Software released Metal Wolf Chaos for the Xbox — a game in which the hotshot president of the United States sets off on a continent-spanning giant robot battle against a coup-staging vice president — the internet’s children didn’t go “fuck yeah! Satire!” — they went “fuck yeah! Awesome!”

Bottom line: Ignore these dunderheads. Wait for more reviews from more sober sources. I panned the game as a cheesy exercise but get other opinions; this might be up your alley.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I actually have played the Japanese version of this. Hate to be a downer, but I'm not impressed. The game is based around the ability to make your own levels and transmit them, and it does very little to make you think you aren't playing just a 100+ collections of one-off levels tossed together haphazardly. The weapon selection is nice, but most of the levels are are based off of silly gimmicks (Blow up a block to start a chain reaction that will block your path if you don't keep up, SURPRISE YOU SPAWN IN THE MIDDLE OF FOUR BIG GUNS.). I don't see a lot of the Treasure quality here. To me, this is closer to the helicopter level of Gunstar Heroes Advance and Wario World than it is actual Treasure classics.

Basically, there's a lot more silliness than I expected and a lot less balls-to-the-wall shooting action than I expected.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

When I found out this game is made by Treasure(a company well known for making excellent game) I give it a shot. I was surprised to find it full of puzzles instead of adventure/story mode destroying enemies with some crazy weapons. Most of this game involves shooting blocks to start chain reactions or bouncing beams in zig-zags. I was expecting an adventure mode. Most of these puzzles aren't strategic at all. They are very linear with a fix strategy on how to beat them.

I wish I knew how to read Japanese. I have no idea what the hell they are talking about or what the objectives are. I used a lot of trial and error

but see that's the beauty of bangai-o, at least in the first one and in principle.

i'm gonna hafta get it or wait for someone who played the first one to submit a review.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']i guess its time to play the waiting game (read: Persona 3 Fes (read: masturbate))[/quote] You jack off to Persona 3. That's a bit creepy. ^_^

[quote name='darkslime']You jack off to Persona 3. That's a bit creepy. ^_^[/QUOTE]

you obv havent seen the outfits that game lets you put on your NPCs.

bread's done
Back