Bangai-O Spirits General Discussion(OUT IN US!)

for some reason i always thought this was an airplane shooter game, not really feeling the game right now, i'll try to play it more to see if i can get into it

[quote name='leveskikesko']The DC game is too expensive nowadays!

Put out more copies, Treasure, the dreamcast isn't dead.[/QUOTE]

I think it is. Last I heard they finally shut down the last factory that was producing GD-ROMs. :cry:

Anyhow, I hope I can still find this come Jan/Feb. I'm trying to exercise more discipline in what games I buy and I'm trying to limit myself to just 5 more games this year.

[quote name='Halo05']I think it is. Last I heard they finally shut down the last factory that was producing GD-ROMs. :cry:

Anyhow, I hope I can still find this come Jan/Feb. I'm trying to exercise more discipline in what games I buy and I'm trying to limit myself to just 5 more games this year.[/quote]

I read on a blog that some Costa Rican developer is releasing a puzzle game for the Dreamcast sometime soon. People must really like the Dreamcast or something!

Seems like Treasure could do it if they really wanted to, and since Treasure is super hardcore I wouldn't be that surprised if they did.

As a die-hard DC Bangai-O fan, I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

1) The game design complexity has been ramped up. The controls get a bit muddled in the process, but nothing that can't be taken care of with a little practice. I like the new layer of weapon selection before going into a stage.

2) The difficulty has been accordingly ramped up. I encountered at least a dozen stages that make the last level of the DC game look like a joke. I'm not a huge fan of the "shoot a line of exploding blocks and race to the finish" gameplay type or the "super precise flying or die" type. Also, Longai-o's can fuck right off. Bastards.

3) What the fuck happened to the story?! I felt that the quirky dialog of the DC game was half the experience...

4) Spirits is substantially more puzzle-y that action-y in comparison to the original. Not that it's a bad thing, just worth pointing out.

All in all, I definitely like Spirits as a sequel to Bangai-O. Still, I think the DC game will always be the best version in terms of design, feel, and atmosphere.

Now I have to go beat that infernal "Earth" stage... Argh.

Does anyone have tips on the level sharing feature?

I've tried two different headphones hooked up to my comp just like the directions say, and I never get any progress...

It took me about five tries to get this to work. You have to vary the volume level so it's uncomfortable to listen to the sqeel of the data transmission, but not so loud static is introduced.

Thanks for the comment, I think my volume was fairly low....I actually tried to turn it up, but my awesome computer disabled the volume options.

I finally got into this game and am quite disappointed that the controls are different. It shouldn't matter to most of you, because the new controls seem to work very well and I've heard no particular complaints, but I love robotron style controls (the DC bangai-o was like that) and this game not having them was a big let down for me ... back to geometry wars and monster house for me.

No one should take this comment the wrong way. Like I said - the new controls are fine/great - just not what I wanted.

I wasn't aware that the original controlled so differently, they're quite different games it seems. This also reminds me that I really need to pick up Bangai-o some day...

bread's done
Back