Bank rant, would you keep them?

shinclyde

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So fellow CAGS, how much would be needed to cross you over to switch banks?

Mine has been having this glitch where is charging me twice a month the monthy usage Fee for the last 2 months.

This month it gave me 2 overdraft charges because of their mistake.

It has been 2 days and they have not fixed it, worst case scenario I will have to pay the overdrafts.

I had this account for 7 years, never had a problem with it until now, should I ditch them? (criteria being, lack of response and lack of responsability)

I'll start this off by saying I have two credit unions (and hate banks), one which is use to have my checks deposited in and my savings is located at, and one that I have specifically for paying online bills (in case the account is ever comprised the most I could have drained is 2k at any time). I pay my mortgage, insurance, etc out of the 2nd credit union.

The second credit union mistakenly paid a bill out of the checking instead of the savings. They did this twice, and then charged me fees. I went in, complained and was treated like I was trying to pull a fast one on the credit union (which I've been a member of since I was an infant - they have "starter accounts"). Don't give up fighting the fees, after being treated like dirt I just moved up the chain and emailed the COO. Document everything, get names of anyone you talk to, and keep it professional and polite and it will be taken care of. I received a call back within the next few hours with the promise that everything would be taken care of and to expect another call in the next day. The following day received another call from the COO letting me know the fees were taken care of, and the manager was being disciplined accordingly. I was also given the COO's direct line in case I ever had any other issues. A short time later received a call with apologies from the branch manager who I initially dealt with.

I still stayed with the credit union, but dealing with all that for $150 really soured my mood towards them. If they were my "main" credit union I would have left them by this point.

So yes, fight the fees, have them removed, and then look into a local credit union.

I left Chase after they gave me a note that they forgot to charge interest one month on my credit card. This happened to cause an overdraft on my account and they flat out refused to waive the overdraft despite the fact it was caused by their error.

I left B of A after they threatened to charge monthly fees.

I'm now with a local credit union and haven't had any troubles.

Sure leave them not worth the monthly hassle. Most big banks offer welcome cash promos to join them and set up direct deposit accounts and are free if your deposits are enough monthly or balance is enough. You shouldn't be paying for them to keep your cash, shop around.

Usually if you just go in and talk to one of the managers (NOT a teller) and politely say something like "I'm here to try to get the problem I'm having resolved, otherwise I'd like to withdraw all my funds and close my account so I can take my money somewhere else." they will sort things out quickly.

I've done this a few times. Once my bank had started charging me the monthly fee on my checking even though I met the requirements to have it waived with a direct deposit AND with the daily balance requirement. Another time, they failed to send me a replacement debit card when my old one expired and I had been calling for a week trying to get a new one. I also had an issue with my credit card billing address being listed as my old apartment after I had changed it to my new place, which multiple customer service calls couldn't resolve.

It's funny how you can call customer service a dozen times over the course of a week and nothing gets fixed, but if you walk into a branch office and say you're ready to close the account, everything is magically fixed within 15 minutes.

My biggest problem with my instituation was that they were sending me statements in spanish out of the blue. I was like wtf, I cant count how many phone calls I gave them, I felt i was being racially profiled. Just because my name is as Mexican as it can be does not mean Spanish is my preferred language.

I have TD and I'm about to bail on them. They started to charge maintenance fees (14/month). Wtf is that? About to look into credit unions like some of you are saying. It's bullshit to have a maintenance fee when they already require a minimum of 100 in the checking account.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I have TD and I'm about to bail on them. They started to charge maintenance fees (14/month). Wtf is that? About to look into credit unions like some of you are saying. It's bullshit to have a maintenance fee when they already require a minimum of 100 in the checking account.[/QUOTE]

I have TD and I don't think I'm paying any fees. Did you get any paperwork letting you know about the change?

[quote name='shinclyde']So fellow CAGS, how much would be needed to cross you over to switch banks?

Mine has been having this glitch where is charging me twice a month the monthy usage Fee for the last 2 months.

This month it gave me 2 overdraft charges because of their mistake.

It has been 2 days and they have not fixed it, worst case scenario I will have to pay the overdrafts.

I had this account for 7 years, never had a problem with it until now, should I ditch them? (criteria being, lack of response and lack of responsability)[/QUOTE]

I would make sure i got the money back. Bank errors are errors they have to correct them by law.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I have TD and I'm about to bail on them. They started to charge maintenance fees (14/month). Wtf is that? About to look into credit unions like some of you are saying. It's bullshit to have a maintenance fee when they already require a minimum of 100 in the checking account.[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous. I have a local bank and pay no fees and there is no minimum. They even cover some of my overages, (which, like it or not, they do happen). If you don't travel a lot, I would go with a local bank/credit union. You'll get better service all around.

Also, OP, my dad went through that crap before. I would suggest switching immediately. He didn't, and trust me when I say that it will continue happening. It's not worth it. Go somewhere where your business is appreciated.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I have TD and I don't think I'm paying any fees. Did you get any paperwork letting you know about the change?[/QUOTE]

No. Just showed up when I checked it online. I haven't confronted them about it though. Definitely on the to do list.

bread's done
Back