Barbeques and Smokers

Frankski

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hey hey

I just got a smoker last week and am hosting a BBQ for a bunch of the wife's and mine friends this Saturday. I'm currently 'curing' the smoker (basically running it once without any flavored wood or water -- just to ?clean? ?seal? the inside).

What I'm wondering is, what meat should be smoked on the inaugural use of my new smoker? I was leaning towards a beer can chicken and something else, but I'm open to suggestions (and recipes!).

Footnote: I'll be running a standard bbq at the same time as the smoker, so I don't need to bother with burgers, dogs, etc for the smoker.

Thanks for the input!

[quote name='fart_bubble']How big is it?

Personally, I love to smoke homemade sausage and venison[/QUOTE]

It's not huge. You know the standard three-legged charcoal grill every gets when they move into suberbia -- It's like that size.

Do you kill/dress/prepare your own venison or do you order from somewhere. My father-in-law used to hunt his own and get it prepared and my mother-in-law would make it in venison sausage stuffing for Thanksgiving --- DELICIOUS!

[quote name='Frankski']It's not huge. You know the standard three-legged charcoal grill every gets when they move into suberbia -- It's like that size.

Do you kill/dress/prepare your own venison or do you order from somewhere. My father-in-law used to hunt his own and get it prepared and my mother-in-law would make it in venison sausage stuffing for Thanksgiving --- DELICIOUS![/QUOTE]

Those aren't bad smokers, they just tend to put more importance (than normal) in the types of chips you use. Remember to mix the types of wood you use

Haven't gone hunting in a long time but I do help my friend when ever deer needs to be dressed or a cow needs to be butchered. I tend to be the main one to stuff the sausages with my own recipe.

cant go wrong with ribs beef or pork hell to be honest do beef pork and chicken course question is will you be using an rubs or sauces.

[quote name='lokizz']cant go wrong with ribs beef or pork hell to be honest do beef pork and chicken course question is will you be using an rubs or sauces.[/QUOTE]

rubs are a must but sauces are mostly for suckers who can't properly cook ribs

Ribs, boston butt, pork loin, brisket if you are able to do a long term smoke.

These items take many hours to smoke and require you to babysit the smoker and add wood and coals to maintain a constant temperature.

Sausage, chicken, and smaller food items can be smoked in a much shorter time.

I had a big barbecue and did all of my major food on the smoker the day before.

I cooked ribs, brisket and a pork shoulder for puilled pork the day before.

These items smoked for 6-8 hours and I did not want to spend the day of my party sitting in front of the grill for the whole day.

If you are using a dry rub apply it the night before and put it into the refrigerator.

The flavors from the rub will absorb into the meat much better.

Good luck with your barbecue!!!!!!

[quote name='fart_bubble']rubs are a must but sauces are mostly for suckers who can't properly cook ribs[/QUOTE]

yeah i have to agree with you on that one although i still like to hve sauce on the side for dipping. and coleslaw you cant have bbq without coleslaw.

bread's done
Back