Barnes and Noble Sale: 50% off The Criterion Collection

Rocko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
Barnes and Noble seems to have marked all Criterion releases as ineligible for further discounts, so until further notice all coupon codes will not work.

Use the following URL for 6% off and free shipping on order $25 or more:

bn.com/militarycity

Use code U8K3U4A for NEW USERS to get 20% off. Gmail dot-trick will work, so there's no reason not to use this coupon for every item to get the best possible price. Note that this is for new accounts on Barnes and Noble dot com, not to be confused with paid memberships to Barnes and Noble. This is for a new, free account on their website.

Note that one $40 MSRP Criterion film and one $20 MSRP Essential Art House film will be just under the $25 for free shipping. Use the standard Barnes and Noble link to bypass the 6% discount and get the total up over $25 for free shipping.

This sale is also good in-store. Thanks to gojiboy for this printable coupon good for 10% off (Note that it expires on 7/18): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email...r-_-Generic-_-100708_NF01_Coupon-_-coucounmla

Go crazy.

Sale ends on August 1st. 20% off Coupon expires on August 8th. Good on both DVDs and Blu-Rays, and also includes Criterion's Eclipse DVD sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
RobotSimp/Bthoma

Thanks for the nice breakdown, it further proves how little I know about Cinema in general. Gonna be checking out more for the next sale in November.

Your avatar pic is so CUTE Ace! Love me some Chocobo's. :D

Oh as for discs don't buy the Ozu's as they're coming out on Blu-ray in the UK under BFI.

I've picked up "Monsoon Wedding" so far. I also own "The Third Man" and "In the Realm Of the Senses".
Senses is very good but it may make some uncomfortable. It's about a very big sexual incident back in 1930's Japan.

[quote name='Sarang01']
I've picked up "Monsoon Wedding" so far. I also own "The Third Man" and "In the Realm Of the Senses".
Senses is very good but it may make some uncomfortable. It's about a very big sexual incident back in 1930's Japan.[/QUOTE]

And I thought I was the only one ordering In the Realm of the Senses, such a great movie. When I first saw it I had just added all the Criterion Blu's to my netflix queue, and when it came I hadn't read anything about, so I was in for a little bit of a shock when I started watching it.

[quote name='Masterkyo']BN list "The Third Man" release 9.14.10" with new cover art & blu-ray cover the cover[/QUOTE]

possibly worth adding that will be a studio canal release, and not criterion

here's to hoping it's an even better release

[quote name='exRounder']possibly worth adding that will be a studio canal release, and not criterion

here's to hoping it's an even better release[/QUOTE]

Will not be... look at their rape of Ran.

[quote name='zenintrude']I beg to differ:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ran-Blu-ray/4186/#Review
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2145/ran.html

Compare those scores to the scores on any Criterion Blu and you will see how sadly it competes. So if the question is if the Studio Canal release of The Third Man with stack up against the Criterion releases, well... I think you wee where I'm going here.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Criterion would have done a much better job, however, the Studio Canal Blu is better than the Criterion DVD, if only marginally. I own the criterion version, and I rented the Blu-ray version. Studio Canal may do a less than stellar job on the Third Man, but it will still be a better option than paying ~$60 on ebay for the Criterion version. Of course all this could have been avoided if Studio Canal didn't try to copy Criterion, and allowed them to keeping printing the films.

Does anyone know if a BN member would still get any kind of discount on top of the 50% off? Not sure if this counts as a 'coupon/promo discount'. Thanx.

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if this sale will still be going on online on the day of August 1st, or if the last take totake advantage of it is July 31st? The OP says it ends 8/1; I'm assuming that means you can still get stuff on 8/1, but I wanted to make sure.

[quote name='joeyatog']Does anyone know if a BN member would still get any kind of discount on top of the 50% off? Not sure if this counts as a 'coupon/promo discount'. Thanx.[/QUOTE]

I was in the store this weekend and just bought a membership to save on some in-store movies. You certainly can still get the normal 10% off, in addition to the 50% off sale. Unfortunately I noticed that some movies were more expensive in-store than online, and they don't pricematch the site.

What I didn't realize when buying the membership, though, is that the member perk for online orders is just free express shipping, no discounts. Boo-urns. Once Bing Cashback dies, then I'll just have to shop in-store. And I don't buy nearly enough stuff from B&N normall to have justified the membership.

[quote name='dafunkk12']I was in the store this weekend and just bought a membership to save on some in-store movies. You certainly can still get the normal 10% off, in addition to the 50% off sale. Unfortunately I noticed that some movies were more expensive in-store than online, and they don't pricematch the site.

What I didn't realize when buying the membership, though, is that the member perk for online orders is just free express shipping, no discounts. Boo-urns. Once Bing Cashback dies, then I'll just have to shop in-store. And I don't buy nearly enough stuff from B&N normall to have justified the membership.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the info. I too, don't shop there very often. I use a family member's discount card when I've gone in the past. She told me I could do this and B&N has always accepted it. You don't even need the card, just the membership info!

Anyone have a review on the "By Brakhage" set? The description sounds pretty interesting, but I'm not familiar with his work at all. I'm hesitant to drop that much money (even at 50% off, it's still $40) on something that I know hardly anything about.

[quote name='arcane93']Anyone have a review on the "By Brakhage" set? The description sounds pretty interesting, but I'm not familiar with his work at all. I'm hesitant to drop that much money (even at 50% off, it's still $40) on something that I know hardly anything about.[/QUOTE]

Rarely you can find this set in store. I got mine for $33.XX after taxes :)

[quote name='arcane93']Anyone have a review on the "By Brakhage" set? The description sounds pretty interesting, but I'm not familiar with his work at all. I'm hesitant to drop that much money (even at 50% off, it's still $40) on something that I know hardly anything about.[/QUOTE]

It's very good and totally worth the money, but you have to know what you're in for--Stan Brakhage made experimental films, which of course means they have no narrative, they're generally silent (and not like silent with music, but silent silent), sometimes have graphic imagery, or what have you. He's probably the best known and most influential experimental filmmaker ever (short of maybe Andy Warhol), though, so even if you're unfamiliar with the experimental film form it's a good place to start. The transfers are great and the supplements help put them into context; you know, the usual Criterion job.

[quote name='dafunkk12']What I didn't realize when buying the membership, though, is that the member perk for online orders is just free express shipping, no discounts. Boo-urns. Once Bing Cashback dies, then I'll just have to shop in-store. And I don't buy nearly enough stuff from B&N normall to have justified the membership.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, a lot of the items on their website are already discounted to some of the lowest prices I've seen even without any additional membership discount (unlike the store, where even though you get a discount, most everything starts at list price), and they regularly send members coupons for an additional 15% off. I've been buying a lot of my CDs from them lately because of that. And the free express shipping is nice because there's no minimum order required to get it. I bought a membership the last time they had one of these Criterion sales not expecting to use it a whole lot after the sale was over (I got more than my money's worth out of it on that sale alone), but between both the website and the store, I've ended up using it really extensively.

I bought a bunch, never seen any of em. Bought em on long-standing reputation alone, excited to jump in.

Che
Wings of Desire
Gomorrah
The Seventh Seal

Almost jumped on some of the DVDs, but I feel like it's time to stop buying DVDs if the blu-ray is gonna come out eventually. What do you guys think about that rationale, and do you think any WONT make it to blu-ray?

[quote name='supershammy']Almost jumped on some of the DVDs, but I feel like it's time to stop buying DVDs if the blu-ray is gonna come out eventually. What do you guys think about that rationale, and do you think any WONT make it to blu-ray?[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been keeping to the same rational just because my budget has its limits and there are enough blu-ray titles that I want to easily take up all of it and then some. However, given the sheer size of Criterion's catalog, I'm sure there are probably at least some titles that will never get the blu-ray treatment. It's impossible to say which ones those will be, though.

[quote name='supershammy']Almost jumped on some of the DVDs, but I feel like it's time to stop buying DVDs if the blu-ray is gonna come out eventually. What do you guys think about that rationale, and do you think any WONT make it to blu-ray?[/QUOTE]
I have the same sentiment.

There are some movies that I want (Throne of Blood, Red Beard, Ikiru) that are only on DVD, but we are already seeing a number of Kurosawa films on BD, so I see that trend continuing.

I was bit last round too ... I finally bought "M" on DVD during the last B&N sale, only to have it released on BD shortly after, which I now bought during this sale.

You do always run the risk of things going OOP, but that can turn around too. I had an original, unopened copy of the Salo Criterion DVD that I bought for $15 when it was released and I sold it at one point for $725 ... and now I can buy an even better version for $15. :)

[quote name='flix1']You do always run the risk of things going OOP, but that can turn around too. I had an original, unopened copy of the Salo Criterion DVD that I bought for $15 when it was released and I sold it at one point for $725 ... and now I can buy and even better version for $15. :)[/QUOTE]

$15 for a criterion... those were the days

lucky son of a gun

Anyone have any experience with BD floaters?

I really want Days of Heaven, but both B&N stores by me have only 1 copy and both of them are floaters. I have heard that BD's are less susceptible to scratching, but I am still weary due to some pretty bad DVD experiences.

Thanks!

[quote name='flix1']Anyone have any experience with BD floaters?

I really want Days of Heaven, but both B&N stores by me have only 1 copy and both of them are floaters. I have heard that BD's are less susceptible to scratching, but I am still weary due to some pretty bad DVD experiences.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

They should be fine... the BD's coating is very hard.

[quote name='flix1']There are some movies that I want (Throne of Blood, Red Beard, Ikiru) that are only on DVD, but we are already seeing a number of Kurosawa films on BD, so I see that trend continuing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm definitely holding out on the Kurosawa films, because I have no doubt whatsoever about them coming out on blu-ray. That being said, not all of them are necessarily coming out on Criterion (the Studio Canal issue of Ran, for example, probably precludes a Criterion edition anytime soon).

I would have more doubts about some of the smaller, lesser-known titles that maybe haven't sold as well (if they didn't sell on DVD, will Criterion put the effort into cleaning them up for blu-ray?) as well as some of the larger studio titles which have already been or might be snapped up by other labels (I doubt we'll see Criterion blu-rays of Silence of the Lambs or Robocop, for example).

Still, since many Criterion titles are now on Netflix instant watch, and even most of those that aren't are available from them on DVD, I figure that I can watch the non-blu-ray titles that I want to see on there until blu-ray editions come out (or don't).

Just a reminder, it's the last day of the sale if anyone has anything that they still want to pick up.

My tally this time around (all blu-rays):
Black Narcissus
Days of Heaven
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Stagecoach
M
8 1/2
Red Desert
Mystery Train
Paris, Texas
Walkabout
Revanche
Gomorrah

I still want to get Vivre Sa Vie, but the store that I was at last night didn't have it in stock. Hopefully I can find another store that has it tonight.

[quote name='supershammy']
Almost jumped on some of the DVDs, but I feel like it's time to stop buying DVDs if the blu-ray is gonna come out eventually. What do you guys think about that rationale, and do you think any WONT make it to blu-ray?[/QUOTE]

I've thought about this quite a bit, but decided there are some exceptions for rare indie flicks that go out of print and skyrocket in price. This time around, I still bought a couple DVDs, and held off on others (The Red Shoes, comes to mind). It's a combination of the quality of the original film stock / original resolution, prior releases, price, rarity, copyright, quality of transfer, etc.

Black Narcissus (BD)
Mystery Train (BD)
Ride with the Devil (BD)
Yojimbo/Sanjuro (BD)
Bottle Rocket (BD)
Red Desert (BD)
Stagecoach (BD)
The Man who Fell to Earth (BD)

Le Samourai (DVD)
Two Films by Yasujiro Ozu (DVD)

[quote name='Gamelore']I still bought a couple DVDs, and held off on others (The Red Shoes, comes to mind).[/QUOTE]

The Red Shoes is already out on blu-ray.

[quote name='realgold']Damn, they just canceled my order of M. That was the movie I wanted most out of my order.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Really? Did they say why? It's not out of print or anything, and it's still listed on their site as "usually ships within 24 hours". I think I'd be calling them and demanding an explanation.

Edit: Oh, the blu-ray isn't out of print, but I guess the DVD is . . . I take it you ordered the DVD version? Amazon still has it in stock for $23.99 if you want it that much.

[quote name='Gamelore']Gah! If I had known, I would have bought it. Must have made a typo during my Googling.[/QUOTE]

It came out on the 20th, so if you did your Googling right at the beginning of the sale you may have missed it. But yeah, that right there is why I'm not rushing to buy any more non-BD titles, because I know that the moment I do, they'll announce a BD version.

Also, man, looking at the upcoming BD releases for September and October on the Criterion site . . . I want every single one of those titles. I hope they don't wait too long to have another one of these sales.

[quote name='arcane93']The Red Shoes is already out on blu-ray.

Really? Did they say why? It's not out of print or anything, and it's still listed on their site as "usually ships within 24 hours". I think I'd be calling them and demanding an explanation.

Edit: Oh, the blu-ray isn't out of print, but I guess the DVD is . . . I take it you ordered the DVD version? Amazon still has it in stock for $23.99 if you want it that much.[/QUOTE]
No, I did order the blu-ray version. I called them up and asked them why they had canceled it and they said that they were all out of the movie. I even had her double check and she still said they were out. Oh well, I'll get it at the next sale. Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Vivre Sa Vie are good enough for now.

My local BN have more Blu Ray back instock but all the 50% sticker is GONE. I saw The Leopard still have 50% off sticker on it but i already had it :)

bread's done
Back