Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion Collection sale: July 12 - Aug. 1

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
According to the Blu-ray.com forums, Barnes & Noble's annual (occasionally bi-annual) 50% off Criterion sale is inbound and will begin July 12. This, along with the regular Deep Discount Criterion 50% sale, is the cheapest you will find Criterions and the best way to stock up. They usually bulk up on inventory online and in-store ahead of the sale, so it's generally pretty easy to find the ones you want.

There are more ways to maximize your discount. Usually there's a $5 off coupon floating around during the sale. If anyone sees one of these, please post a link.

Additionally, if you're a Barnes & Noble Member ($25 per year), you get an another 10 percent off in-store purchases OR free expedited shipping for online orders. I learned this week that it's possible to get a free two-month trial membership (only if you've never been a member before), but you'll need to make sure you cancel before it auto-renews. You have to make a credit or debit card purchase to take advantage of this offer, so you can either do it when you buy your Criterions or just purchase a gift card for yourself.

I'll post a link to the sale when it commences.

EDIT: No firm word on an end date for the sale yet, but it's generally agreed that it will run at least two weeks (July 26) and likely three (Aug. 2). Some contend it will run for a month, but I'm skeptical about that.

EDIT 2: Got confirmation that this sale will run through Aug. 1. Pre-orders will not be included (sorry, folks counting on using this to get The Battle of Algiers).

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked, but alas, no Good Burger Criterion on the site.

A shame.

Probably going to get Fear and Loathing, Chronos, and possibly The Darjeeling Limited.

They need to release the other Wes Anderson movies on blu as well...

They have definitely removed coupon usage in the past on Criterion sales, so I would at least buy the must-have titles now with the 15% off coupon.

I picked up Branded to Kill, and when I get home from work I'm really thinking about Tokyo Drifter.

[quote name='Guerrilla']However, there are very few in-store coupons at the moment. Coincidence? ;)[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not. In the past, there haven't been any coupons right at the start of the sale either, they've come later. I wouldn't worry yet.

ok really dumb question: Whats the diffrence between Criterion Collection and a regular Blu Ray. Also why are most criterion collections films Ive never heard of? I'm thinking of getting fish tank and darjeeling lmtd.

[quote name='deadbird']ok really dumb question: Whats the diffrence between Criterion Collection and a regular Blu Ray. Also why are most criterion collections films Ive never heard of? I'm thinking of getting fish tank and darjeeling lmtd.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, there are several Criterion Collection films that are on Blu-ray, but the difference between a regular DVD/Blu edition of a movie and the Criterion release is usually pretty significant. Criterion editions usually have the best transfers as they go through a restoration process with many older films, providing the best image and sound possible, Many include commentaries, or other informative documentaries/booklets that you also won't find in the regular editions.

Criterion often picks many obscure/unknown/Art House type of films (i.e. not mainstream) for their collection so that's perhaps why you haven't heard of them. It's a film buffs dream though as they release so many films that wouldn't have come to the states otherwise allowing us here to discover some great international gems

For now I'm just going to order the Nikkatsu Noir eclipse collection. I saw "A Colt is My Passport" from it already and loved it, so it'll definitely be worth the $33 or so for the movies included.

Plus the packaging colors look pretty cool:

41i9CzIr67L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So apparently i had this code already in my Bag: L7C8F9D

it took off $3..no shipping at least for the one dvd....YMMV

EDIT: It takes of 15% of one item only..so not YMMV..and this one takes 10% off entire order till 7/19: J3M9D8K

[quote name='ssjmichael']For now I'm just going to order the Nikkatsu Noir eclipse collection. I saw "A Colt is My Passport" from it already and loved it, so it'll definitely be worth the $33 or so for the movies included.[/QUOTE]

Ooh, that one's seriously tempting. I've sworn off buying any DVD titles, though, because I don't want to have to double-dip when the blu-rays eventually come out later. That and there are already more blu-ray titles that I want than I can really afford, so it's an easy way of setting some limits. :lol:

I'll have to look and see whether they've put any of those titles on Hulu+ yet, though. That's become my go-to place for watching Criterion titles that haven't made it to blu yet.

Can I use two coupon codes at once? One of the movies I want is $24.99 so it doesn't qualify for the free shipping, but I wanted to use the 15% code on it. The other movies I want I was going to order in a big bunch and use the 10% code. Can I just add the $24.99 movie to the cart and then apply the 15% code, and then add all the other movies and then apply the 10%?

Edit: Nope. One coupon code per transaction. Is there anything that's like 1 cent that I can tag onto my first order to make it $25?

I've noticed my "Member's Card" gets me free Express Shipping but doesn't take off that additional 10%. Would a person be wise to purchase these titles in store? Or does B&N jack up the prices in store?

It seems the 50% off prices online are off the MSRP so I don't think that it would matter if it was online or in store. With that said, are we able to print off any 10% or 15% off coupons or are those online only codes?

[quote name='RichterIX']Can I use two coupon codes at once? One of the movies I want is $24.99 so it doesn't qualify for the free shipping, but I wanted to use the 15% code on it. The other movies I want I was going to order in a big bunch and use the 10% code. Can I just add the $24.99 movie to the cart and then apply the 15% code, and then add all the other movies and then apply the 10%?

Edit: Nope. One coupon code per transaction. Is there anything that's like 1 cent that I can tag onto my first order to make it $25?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if there's any super cheap filler items, but this book is 0.90 and it's the cheapest I've seen so far: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rom...1002416398?ean=9780486275574&itm=2&usri=dover

They have a bunch of others for around $1 too: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/dov...UCTS&keyword=dover+&startat=1&aref=1539&size=

[quote name='RichterIX']Can I use two coupon codes at once? One of the movies I want is $24.99 so it doesn't qualify for the free shipping, but I wanted to use the 15% code on it. The other movies I want I was going to order in a big bunch and use the 10% code. Can I just add the $24.99 movie to the cart and then apply the 15% code, and then add all the other movies and then apply the 10%?

Edit: Nope. One coupon code per transaction. Is there anything that's like 1 cent that I can tag onto my first order to make it $25?[/QUOTE]

I imagine that if you find anything to push it over the $25, you'll get 15% off the CHEAPER item and not your $24.99 disc. Unless all you're after is the free shipping, then you're golden...

[quote name='djsmf435']So apparently i had this code already in my Bag: L7C8F9D

it took off $3..no shipping at least for the one dvd....YMMV

EDIT: It takes of 15% of one item only..so not YMMV..and this one takes 10% off entire order till 7/19: J3M9D8K[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the 10% off code. After tax, i paid $114.42 for:

Black Moon
Diabolique
Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas
Insignificance
Kiss Me Deadly
Solaris

[quote name='Irukandji']Sidenote: with the L7C8F9D coupon the LOTR Extended trilogy ends up being 61.19 with free shipping. Not a terrible price.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, I ordered this from Walmart for $70 yesterday!

Wonderful. (As many of you already have) since I just stumbled upon this, I immediately looked up the release dates for Killer's Kiss/The Killing and 3 Women. Of course they're post-sale releases.

B&N does this to me every time; putting this sale just a couple weeks before my most anticipated releases. Those bastards know I cannot wait on these kind of titles for their next sale, so I end up paying the full retail of them.

[quote name='movie_mike']I imagine that if you find anything to push it over the $25, you'll get 15% off the CHEAPER item and not your $24.99 disc. Unless all you're after is the free shipping, then you're golden...[/QUOTE]

The 15% will be applied to the more expensive of the two.

Picked up Cronos and Homicide with the 10% off coupon, I think that'll be it for me unless a new coupon crops up (either in store or online).

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']B&N does this to me every time; putting this sale just a couple weeks before my most anticipated releases. Those bastards know I cannot wait on these kind of titles for their next sale, so I end up paying the full retail of them.[/QUOTE]

Full retail? Really? Most new criterion releases are $24-26 on Amazon for at least the first few weeks. Not as good as this sale, of course, but a lot better than full retail.

[quote name='ssjmichael']BN is pretty quick, my order already shipped out :)[/QUOTE]

Yup, got shipping notices for my copies of Kiss Me Deadly and Diabolique as well. Also went to the store today and used the $5 off $50 coupon to pick up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Blow Out, and The Makioka Sisters for $44.50 before tax. Not quite as good a deal as I'd been hoping for, but it's a start, anyway.

I was a bit on the fence about whether to get Fear and Loathing since I already have the DVD, but I suspect it's one of the ones that will end up sold out everywhere once the sale gets into full swing since it has at least a little more mainstream appeal.

I wanna get some of these criterion collection but don't know which to get. I'm planning on getting darjeeling lmt cause I love that movie. Any others I should get? I haven't seen most of these so they will be blind buys. Just wondering if there's any must haves.

[quote name='deadbird']I wanna get some of these criterion collection but don't know which to get. I'm planning on getting darjeeling lmt cause I love that movie. Any others I should get? I haven't seen most of these so they will be blind buys. Just wondering if there's any must haves.[/QUOTE]

Some of my favs are:

Repulsion
Charade
Red Shoes
Blow Out
Videodrome
Walkabout
M
The Seventh Seal
The Night Of The Hunter
Paris, Texas.

gah, I've gone in like 8 times wanting to pick up a few titles online today, but even with 15% off coupon it's $18.46 per title with tax :( .... over my $15 max limit for titles and I can't seem to get past that

So far I've ordered one:

Eyes Without A Face

Kinda creepy old movie and little known origin for the idea of Michael Myers.

M

Grabbed these Blus:

Makioka Sisters
Pale Flower
The Great Dictator (Chaplin)
Blowout
Kiss Me Deadly

Think I might also grab Cronos and Thin Red Line at some point

[quote name='deadbird']I wanna get some of these criterion collection but don't know which to get. I'm planning on getting darjeeling lmt cause I love that movie. Any others I should get? I haven't seen most of these so they will be blind buys. Just wondering if there's any must haves.[/QUOTE]

Sound like you could be safe and go with Rushmore and the Royal Tenenbaums since you like Darjeeling.

[quote name='RobotSimp']Sound like you could be safe and go with Rushmore and the Royal Tenenbaums since you like Darjeeling.[/QUOTE]

Also Bottle Rocket, which is out on blu-ray.

It's really hard to suggest "Must-haves". I'm a huge Kurosawa fan and I'd probably say most of his stuff are must-see, but it really depends on your tastes and what you're interested in. Criterion has such a huge variety in their collection.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest watching some of these. I think they're better known classics from the collection and are probably more accessible

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Rashomon
M
The Great Dictator
The Seventh Seal
The Grand Illusion
8 1/2
The 400 Blows
Stagecoach

I can't figure out if B&N charges tax in NY, does anyone know off the top of there head?

EDIT: Nevermind...didnt read it carefully enough. Apparently they collect tax in all states...

[quote name='ssjmichael']It's really hard to suggest "Must-haves". I'm a huge Kurosawa fan and I'd probably say most of his stuff are must-see, but it really depends on your tastes and what you're interested in. Criterion has such a huge variety in their collection.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest watching some of these. I think they're better known classics from the collection and are probably more accessible

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Rashomon
M
The Great Dictator
The Seventh Seal
The Grand Illusion
8 1/2
The 400 Blows
Stagecoach[/QUOTE]

I would add Che, The Paths of Glory, the curious case of Benjamin Button, Diabolique, Modern Times and The Night of The Hunter.

Le Samourai is a pretty enjoyable film that should appeal to a wide audience. The color palette is very attractive, as well, so it makes for a nice watch.

[quote name='Rocko']Le Samourai is a pretty enjoyable film that should appeal to a wide audience. The color palette is very attractive, as well, so it makes for a nice watch.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the intro, am definitely interested in it now, but it is kinda costly for a DVD :( think i might have to wait abit.

[quote name='Irukandji']Sidenote: with the L7C8F9D coupon the LOTR Extended trilogy ends up being 61.19 with free shipping. Not a terrible price.[/QUOTE]

while the coupon has expired and there's another to replace it, i think B&N has increased the price for the set. rings up $63.79 (using membership coupon which is the lowest)

[quote name='basis']while the coupon has expired and there's another to replace it, i think B&N has increased the price for the set. rings up $63.79 (using membership coupon which is the lowest)[/QUOTE]

It's unfortunate that they raised it.

Nice! My 6 shipped already and are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Much better than the last time i ordered from there, and half were put on backorder.

So the only printable coupon is $5 off of $50 right?

That's a shame. At least there's a new 15% off coupon to use...

[quote name='Rocko']So the only printable coupon is $5 off of $50 right?

That's a shame. At least there's a new 15% off coupon to use...[/QUOTE]

I believe the $8 off of $40 is printable as well. I'm going to try it tonight and will let you know.

[quote name='Rocko']So the only printable coupon is $5 off of $50 right?[/QUOTE]

$8.00 off $40 here. Using ShopKick, two separate locations allowed me to use both the $5 & $8 coupons, along with the membership discount, on the same transactions. I think I got lucky.

Where is that 15% off coupon you mentioned?
Do you mean the T9P8A9P online coupon code, or is there a printable version?

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']$8.00 off $40 here. Using ShopKick, two separate locations allowed me to use both the $5 & $8 coupons, along with the membership discount, on the same transactions.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try this tonight.

[quote name='Rocko']So the only printable coupon is $5 off of $50 right?

That's a shame. At least there's a new 15% off coupon to use...[/QUOTE]

Actually, the $5 off $50 in store, combined with the 10% member discount, is a better deal than the 15% online if you're willing to buy three at a time (or whatever number of titles it takes you to pass the $50 mark with the particular ones you're buying).

$60 x 0.9 - $5 = $49 / 3 = $16.33 each in-store with $5 off $50 coupon and 10% member discount

vs.

$19.99 * 0.85 = $16.99 each with 15% off coupon

(I've bought both online and in-store, and I've noticed that for whatever reason they charge $20 each as the base price in-store, and $19.99 each as the base price online.)

So the $5 off $50 coupon isn't ideal (I'd much rather have a 15% off coupon that worked in-store with the membership discount, would take it down to $15.30 each), but it's the best sure deal right now. If, as I said, you're buying enough titles to hit that $50 mark, that is.

Kudos for getting away with getting them to give you both the $5 off $50 and the $8 together, Seasick Pirate. I'd honestly be embarrassed to even ask for that (hell, I feel nervous that they'll call me on the fact that the $5 off $50 is technically for new members), but if you can get them to do it, good for you. I hadn't even tried the $8 coupon because several people on the blu-ray.com forums had reported that it didn't work for them.

Though I do remember now where that "close enough" thing worked for me in the past, and it was B&N -- back at one point when they had a $5 off $20 coupon, I was able to use it on a $19.99 item without difficulty. Too bad they don't have those coupons anymore.

Is Makioka sisters a risky blind buy? I love Japanese culture/film and all but the trailer didn't draw me into the story.

[quote name='AceBB6']Is Makioka sisters a risky blind buy? I love Japanese culture/film and all but the trailer didn't draw me into the story.[/QUOTE]

From the reviews I read it reminded me of Ozu's family stuff, but I hear it's rather slow paced. I'm interested in seeing it myself as I too love Japanese culture and film.

[quote name='AceBB6']Is Makioka sisters a risky blind buy? I love Japanese culture/film and all but the trailer didn't draw me into the story.[/QUOTE]

I haven't watched it yet (did a blind buy myself the other day), but it seems to have gotten consistently good reviews. Honestly, even if the story itself doesn't do a lot for me (it could go either way, based on what I know about it), I fully expect the cultural aspects of it and the scenery (the cinematography is supposed to be beautiful) to keep me entertained.

And hey, at least it's a cheaper title than most. :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']From the reviews I read it reminded me of Ozu's family stuff, but I hear it's rather slow paced. I'm interested in seeing it myself as I too love Japanese culture and film.[/QUOTE]

Ozu eh, man we need some of that on Blu Ray. Interested in the one film about two kids who rebel againts their parents all for a television set.

Ill check out some reviews just as you mentioned. Thanks.

[quote name='arcane93']I haven't watched it yet (did a blind buy myself the other day), but it seems to have gotten consistently good reviews. Honestly, even if the story itself doesn't do a lot for me (it could go either way, based on what I know about it), I fully expect the cultural aspects of it and the scenery (the cinematography is supposed to be beautiful) to keep me entertained.

And hey, at least it's a cheaper title than most. :D[/QUOTE]

Troof!

The shots of scenery in the movie were more captivating to me than the actual actors/story themselves/itself.

[quote name='AceBB6']Ozu eh, man we need some of that on Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]

The annoying thing is that BFI has already put out six Ozu blu-rays in the UK, but they're all region B coded. Criterion needs to get on the ball with these already!

bread's done
Back