Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion Collection sale: July 12 - Aug. 1

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
According to the Blu-ray.com forums, Barnes & Noble's annual (occasionally bi-annual) 50% off Criterion sale is inbound and will begin July 12. This, along with the regular Deep Discount Criterion 50% sale, is the cheapest you will find Criterions and the best way to stock up. They usually bulk up on inventory online and in-store ahead of the sale, so it's generally pretty easy to find the ones you want.

There are more ways to maximize your discount. Usually there's a $5 off coupon floating around during the sale. If anyone sees one of these, please post a link.

Additionally, if you're a Barnes & Noble Member ($25 per year), you get an another 10 percent off in-store purchases OR free expedited shipping for online orders. I learned this week that it's possible to get a free two-month trial membership (only if you've never been a member before), but you'll need to make sure you cancel before it auto-renews. You have to make a credit or debit card purchase to take advantage of this offer, so you can either do it when you buy your Criterions or just purchase a gift card for yourself.

I'll post a link to the sale when it commences.

EDIT: No firm word on an end date for the sale yet, but it's generally agreed that it will run at least two weeks (July 26) and likely three (Aug. 2). Some contend it will run for a month, but I'm skeptical about that.

EDIT 2: Got confirmation that this sale will run through Aug. 1. Pre-orders will not be included (sorry, folks counting on using this to get The Battle of Algiers).

Last edited by a moderator:
The $5 off $50, the $8 off $40 and the above 20% off single item coupons all stack together on a single transaction with the 10% off from the B&N membership.

However, three $20 Criterions with the above mentioned coupons and the B&N membership end up being less than $50, so the $5 off $50 coupon won't work unless you have something else to bring it up to above $50 after the $8 off $40 and 20% off coupons are added.

The cashier run it up with the $8 off $40 coupon first, then the 20% off coupon, and when he tried to add the $5 off $50 coupon, it wouldn't apply because it was less than $50. I added a book I needed to bring it up to above $50, then it worked.

If he scanned them in different order, it might have not been an issue. Not sure, as I only had three movies to pick up.

Picked up In The Realm Of The Senses, Ride With The Devil and The Last Metro (which was in a digipack, so had to send off to Criterion for the hardpack case @ $5 and now that the replacement cases are being sold through store.criterion.com, it's $5 for a case and $5.95 for cheapest shipping for a single case :wall:, so it's now a pass).

[quote name='Sonic9jct']Will that coupon only work if you have the membership card?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it says specifically that it's a member coupon. Sometimes they offer non-member coupons as well, but I haven't seen any recently.

Yeah just to touch on the Woody Allen topic of Criterion Blu-Rays, not a chance.

He doesn't want special features, he wants the film to stand on it's own.

Nor does he even seem to be into High Definition at this point, how many Woody Allen movies are on Blu-Ray? three by my count, and they are all his newest movies. no back catalog attempt whatsoever.

I was able to get The Darjeeling Limited with the additional 15% off coupon. Very happy. The order shipped the next day so I'll have it very soon.

:D

tumblr_loo47wTTJp1qm7fcfo1_500.jpg

Source

Haha, don't get the poor boy's hopes up like that. :lol:

That being said, Criterion did release Annie Hall (spine #93) and Crimes and Misdemeanors (spine #323) on laserdisc. However, they released a lot of movies on laserdisc that will likely never make it into the collection on DVD or blu-ray, so that doesn't really mean anything.

I couldn't get the $8 off and $5 off coupons to stack. And yes, the total was over $50 after the 10% off and $8 off.

Just picked up:
Diabolique
Thief of Bagdad
Cronos
Darjleeng Limited
Eyes without a Face
Black Moon
Short Cuts

Went to two different locations to get everything above 50 to use the coupons. One place let me use the 5 off 50, the 15% and the 20% all on one transaction. The other place only let me use the 5 off 50.

The 8 of 40 appeared to only apply if there was one DVD priced at 40 or more, so I couldn't use that. Still not too shabby.

Anyone seen any new coupons, since the 20% expired yesterday? I've got my copies of High and Low, Leon Morin, Priest, and Life During Wartime reserved to pick up this evening. If the $5 off $50 is the best that I can do then so be it, but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there now.

Bad ass Annie Hall cover, have you ever seen the Harry Potter "criterion" covers? pretty great also.

Does anyone know if Criterion is giving out plastic cases for any of their Blu's they released in the cardboard? I have Bottle Rocket and now that they are all in plastic, I want a plastic box for it.

[quote name='DestroVega']Bad ass Annie Hall cover, have you ever seen the Harry Potter "criterion" covers? pretty great also.

Does anyone know if Criterion is giving out plastic cases for any of their Blu's they released in the cardboard? I have Bottle Rocket and now that they are all in plastic, I want a plastic box for it.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I saw Bottle Rocket in a plastic case. I know I saw Chungking Express in a plastic case.

edit: misread your question

[quote name='DestroVega']Does anyone know if Criterion is giving out plastic cases for any of their Blu's they released in the cardboard? I have Bottle Rocket and now that they are all in plastic, I want a plastic box for it.[/QUOTE]

They are not giving them out, unfortunately, but you can purchase them for $5 each plus shipping (an additional $5.95):

http://www.criterion.com/shop/other

Would end up costing me $51 to replace all of my cardboard cases, since I have all of those releases in them. More than I care to spend for cases, personally.

[quote name='arcane93']They are not giving them out, unfortunately, but you can purchase them for $5 each plus shipping (an additional $5.95):

http://www.criterion.com/shop/other

Would end up costing me $51 to replace all of my cardboard cases, since I have all of those releases in them. More than I care to spend for cases, personally.[/QUOTE]I found that little "surprise" out when I sent in my Paypal payment for my replacement case for The Last Metro. Received an email back from a rep at the Criterion Store detailing the change.

I'd be happy to pick up a replacement case when it was the prior price of $5 including shipping. With that no longer being the case, $10.95 shipped for an Amaray and case art is ridiculous.

Yeah, I don't really mind the cardboard cases so much. They spend most of their time sitting on my shelf, and the little bit of time when they're not, it's because I'm actually watching one of the movies, in which case that one ends up sitting on my TV stand six feet away. If I tended to lend out my blu-rays or handle them more, I'd be more concerned, but it's not a huge deal as is.

That being said, charging that much for cases is a pretty crap move. They should at least have a deal on buying multiples or something.

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, I don't really mind the cardboard cases so much. They spend most of their time sitting on my shelf, and the little bit of time when they're not, it's because I'm actually watching one of the movies, in which case that one ends up sitting on my TV stand six feet away. If I tended to lend out my blu-rays or handle them more, I'd be more concerned, but it's not a huge deal as is.

That being said, charging that much for cases is a pretty crap move. They should at least have a deal on buying multiples or something.[/QUOTE]Oh, they do have a deal.

Spend $50 and get free shipping. :roll:

[quote name='shrike4242']Oh, they do have a deal.

Spend $50 and get free shipping. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Ha, the only time that's worth is that rare time THEY have a 50% off sale. So hopefully when they reach 100k Likes on FB they'll have a slightly better sale!

[quote name='DestroVega']Bad ass Annie Hall cover, have you ever seen the Harry Potter "criterion" covers? pretty great also.

Does anyone know if Criterion is giving out plastic cases for any of their Blu's they released in the cardboard? I have Bottle Rocket and now that they are all in plastic, I want a plastic box for it.[/QUOTE]

I just googled the HP collection and it looks amazing. The box and the art on both the covers and the spine is fanboys dream. I just wish it was actually being released.

Went a bit crazy today. Only intended to buy 3 to qualify for the $5 off $50 coupon, but my compulsion to "get while the gettin's good" lead me to stock up before the end of the sale. Coupons didn't go through automatically, but the cashier overrode it and stacked the $5 off $50 and $8 off $40 for me. Friendly conversation while browsing helped grease the wheels, perhaps.

Blow Out
The Darjeeling Limited
High and Low
Howard's End
The Naked Kiss
The Night of the Hunter
Shock Corridor

That brings me up to 12 movies bought during this sale.

Hah. Finally tried to use the $8 coupon today, and the cashier shot me down because of the sale price. I was buying three titles and had the $5 off $50 coupon with me as well, so I just didn't bother to argue and used it instead (there was definitely no way I was getting both coupons out of him regardless). Not worth the effort/time/gas of having to go to another store later.

I've picked up everything I want, so I'm done with the sale for this round. Time to start saving for November! :D

Snagged Kagemusha, High and Low and Night of the Hunter today for around $63 shipped. Prettay, prettay, prettay good.

Finished up my hunt with High and Low, Broadcast News, and Sweet Smell of Success. $52 bucks as only the $5 coupon worked, oh well, I'm pleased as punch anyway. This along with The Night of the Hunter and Kiss Me Deadly bring my total haul up to five, or four than I should have bought lol.

I'm sad this sale is over because the next few months show many promising titles for me.

- Harakiri
- Secret Sunshine
- My Life As A Dog
- Dazed and Confused

I'm really looking towards November's sale.

[quote name='AceBB6']I'm sad this sale is over because the next few months show many promising titles for me.

- Harakiri
- Secret Sunshine
- My Life As A Dog
- Dazed and Confused

I'm really looking towards November's sale.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Secret Sunshine already? It's great; I have it preordered at Amazon for $25.99, because me waiting for November for it is not going to happen. Lee Chang-dong's newer movie, Poetry, is almost as good, and is being released by Kino the same day that Criterion is releasing Secret Sunshine.

ooo, didn't know Harakiri is coming to Blu. Definitely looking forward to that.

edit: Salo is also coming to BD, imagine that in stunning HD :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']ooo, didn't know Harakiri is coming to Blu. Definitely looking forward to that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed only because I was really hoping that we'd get Kwaidan on blu for Halloween. Still, it's promising that any Kobayashi is making it to blu -- hopefully that means it won't be far behind. And we are getting Kuroneko and Island of Lost Souls, so I guess I can't complain too much. :D

And man, I want pretty much everything that's coming out between now and November. November is going to be awesome but expensive (not that July was cheap by any means! ;)).

[quote name='sirhansirhan']Have you seen Secret Sunshine already? It's great; I have it preordered at Amazon for $25.99, because me waiting for November for it is not going to happen. Lee Chang-dong's newer movie, Poetry, is almost as good, and is being released by Kino the same day that Criterion is releasing Secret Sunshine.[/QUOTE]

Nope, Just love Asian cinema in general. It's a blind buy for me. Korean films have been always at the forefront when I have an itching for a foreign flick. Might have to place an order similar to you.:)

[quote name='munch']Does anyone have a link to the 20% off coupon?[/QUOTE]

That has expired. There are currently no links to any coupons that will print for use with this Criterion deal.

*Edit: There are still these.

M

[quote name='kill3r7']Grab it from Amazon since Sacrifice is a Kino release not Criterion.[/QUOTE]

oh my bad. silly me.

Did anybody get High and Low. My order was canceled and that was the only one I was pumped about. I'm seconds from a full blown tantrum.

[quote name='Tronny']Did anybody get High and Low. My order was canceled and that was the only one I was pumped about. I'm seconds from a full blown tantrum.[/QUOTE]

Quite a few other people have had the same problem. It was even unavailable to buy on their website the last few days of the sale.

[quote name='Tronny']Did anybody get High and Low. My order was canceled and that was the only one I was pumped about. I'm seconds from a full blown tantrum.[/QUOTE]

I bought it in store the day after it came out with no problem. They had maybe four of them when I was there.

I got an email stating that my High and Low order has been delayed due to an "unexpected delay", but then got an email that it shipped later that day. I got it in the mail a few days later.

I got one in store the Tuesday it released. My total haul between the 50% sale and the B2G1 that immediately preceded it:

Diabolique
Solaris
The Great Dictator
Paris, Texas
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (DVD upgrade)
Kagemusha (DVD upgrade)
Beauty and the Beast
For All Mankind
Mystery Train
High and Low
The Double Life of Veronique
The Wages of Fear

That's not counting BD copies of Howard's End, Seven Samurai, and The Thin Red Line picked up at Borders using various deals just ahead of this month's B&N madness. This has really helped thin out my wish list!

I grabbed 50% off copy of Army of Shadows at a Borders clearance on Thursday, but I'm not even sure I want it. Sitting in shrinkwrap on my shelf right now. Might trade it for something.

[quote name='ssjmichael']ooo, didn't know Harakiri is coming to Blu. Definitely looking forward to that.

edit: Salo is also coming to BD, imagine that in stunning HD :D[/QUOTE]

Poop galore in glorious 1080p? I'm there.

Does it take guts to watch Salo? I have been debating on watching the film but people have told that it's disturbing and might make me sick.

bread's done
Back