Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion sale - 10/30 to 11/19

arcane93

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Haven't seen a thread for this yet, but all signs are pointing to the November Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble starting a bit early this year, on October 30th. See threads here and here. All currently available Criterion Collection blu-ray and DVD titles, as well as those which come out during the sale, will be on sale for 50% off of their suggested retail price.

The OP on blu-ray.com thread lists it as an "Art House/Criterion sale", but it's not clear as of yet which, if any, non-Criterion "art house" titles might be included. Last time there were a limited number of other titles (the "art house" status of which were, in some cases, debatable, hence the quotes) by other companies as well.

A B&N membership will get you an extra 10% off in-store or free shipping online. As of right now, there are no active coupons, however if any come up they'll likely be listed in this DVD Talk thread.

Pre-orders for titles coming out after the sale ends are very YMMV. You won't be able to do it online, but you might be able to do it in-store if you get a really nice cashier.

Many questions regarding the sale can be answered by looking at threads for past sales; here and here are the most recent ones.

[quote name='commandercody83']Anyone find any good non-Criterion deals during this sale?[/QUOTE]

I was happy to grab both A Separation and Midnight in Paris for half off in the non-Criterion art house side of this sale. A Separation especially; I hadn't seen it much cheaper than $25 since its release, but was $18 before membership discounts and the like here.

[quote name='arcane93']Oh, also, rumor over at DVD Talk (from the OP of the B&N coupon thread, who is usually right) is that there will be a 20% off member coupon starting on Thursday.[/QUOTE]There was a 20% coupon that showed up in the mail yesterday, with one of the unique coupon codes. It won't stack with the Criterion 50% off sale.

God, these things always bankrupt me.

In for Rosemary's Baby, The Game, The Thine Red Line, Days of Heaven, Videodrome, Three Colors collection, Godzilla, and House.

Forgive me, wallet.

Grabbed Rashomon, preordering Brazil before it ends and I want Trilogy of Life... but likely won't get it. Too broke, Kotobukiya has two statues I'm picking up next week at $60 a pop.

[quote name='arcane93']Not sure about the coupon that shrike got in the mail yesterday, but here's a 20% off member coupon with a non-unique code. Don't know whether it will work online, but it definitely works in-store, as I used it tonight (even though it says it doesn't start until tomorrow) to pick up Sunday Bloody Sunday and The Forgiveness of Blood...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/print_nav.asp?r=1&pid=45155

Good through Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Did it work with the 50% discount?

So, quick question: I've never tried using a membership coupon in-store before. What's your pitch to the cashier to get him or her to reuse the coupon for multiple items? Something like: "If I had printed out 4 of these coupons I could just walk out the door and come back in and buy another movie, so why not just apply it four times to these now?"

Also, since I don't have a printer at home, has anyone had success showing the coupon on a smartphone? Thanks for the help, everyone.

[quote name='georox']Grabbed Rashomon, preordering Brazil before it ends and I want Trilogy of Life... but likely won't get it. Too broke, Kotobukiya has two statues I'm picking up next week at $60 a pop.[/QUOTE]Brazil is showing that it's not $19.99 any longer, it's pre-order "discount" price of $42.57.

Weekend, Trilogy of Life and Heaven's Gate are showing as pre-orders with the $19.99 price, Brazil isn't.

[quote name='arcane93']Not sure about the coupon that shrike got in the mail yesterday, but here's a 20% off member coupon with a non-unique code. Don't know whether it will work online, but it definitely works in-store, as I used it tonight (even though it says it doesn't start until tomorrow) to pick up Sunday Bloody Sunday and The Forgiveness of Blood...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/print_nav.asp?r=1&pid=45155

Good through Sunday.[/QUOTE]Found that one yesterday morning in my email from BN.com and used it with the $8 off $40 single movie and $5 off $50 purchase coupon, plus my BN membership to get The Game, Rashomon and Rosemary's Baby for $46.43 after tax.

Before I bought the movies I used the $10 additional GC w/$75 GC purchase to get a $75 GC and the bonus $10 GC (which doesn't work until 12/26/12), used the GC to make the purchase.

None of the coupon codes I've found for online use seem to stack with the discount and as I hate to use the in-store coupons more than once per sale, that might be it for me. Was going to pick up Eating Raoul if I could get an online coupon to work with it.

[quote name='bryancantspell']So, quick question: I've never tried using a membership coupon in-store before. What's your pitch to the cashier to get him or her to reuse the coupon for multiple items? Something like: "If I had printed out 4 of these coupons I could just walk out the door and come back in and buy another movie, so why not just apply it four times to these now?"[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's going to depend on the cashier. Most of the time you're probably not going to get them to do it. The only times that I've even tried have been with cashiers that I know and am friendly with (so it helps to get to know some B&N cashiers :lol:), and once or twice when the cashier has actually offered it to me. It can't hurt to ask, but be prepared to be turned down.

When I picked up two titles in one trip the other day, I did it by giving one of the titles, a copy of the coupon, and some cash to my girlfriend and having her buy one of them.

Other than that, multiple trips back to the store (when different cashiers are on duty) is your best bet.

[quote name='bryancantspell']Also, since I don't have a printer at home, has anyone had success showing the coupon on a smartphone? Thanks for the help, everyone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've done it lots of times. All they need to do is type in the number under the barcode, though sometimes (depending on the cashier), they'll insist on seeing the whole coupon first.

The cashier that rang me up at B&N tonight (picked up Le Havre) told me that the Criterion sale has been extended until 11/29. I have no idea how true that is (haven't managed to confirm it anywhere else), but she seemed to sincerely believe it.

FYI. Local BN stores running Promotion Buy $75 GC and get $10 Free. I spent $300 and get $40 Free (Free $10 Gift Card will be active in Dec. 26th and have no Expiration Date). Turn around and used my $300 GC on the Criterion with 20% off coupon ")

[quote name='arcane93']The cashier that rang me up at B&N tonight (picked up Le Havre) told me that the Criterion sale has been extended until 11/29. I have no idea how true that is (haven't managed to confirm it anywhere else), but she seemed to sincerely believe it.[/QUOTE]That would be awesome, which hopefully will get Brazil back down to $20 for a pre-order.

Which reminds me, has anyone found any coupons that work online with the online sale?

I went and looked through the sale rack and all the Criterions. Only thing I saw that tempted me was Badlands for ~$6.

May end up getting Godzilla BD for a friend before the sale is over...

[quote name='commandercody83']I went and looked through the sale rack and all the Criterions. Only thing I saw that tempted me was Badlands for ~$6.[/QUOTE]

I keep holding out hoping that Criterion will pick up Badlands for blu-ray, since they've done several other Malick titles. No luck so far though. :/

[quote name='shrike4242']That would be awesome, which hopefully will get Brazil back down to $20 for a pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, as Brazil doesn't come out until December 4th. :/

[quote name='shrike4242']Which reminds me, has anyone found any coupons that work online with the online sale?[/QUOTE]

Nope, it seems like they've blocked all coupons online for the sale. Which is weird, because they actually still make more than they do in the store, since you don't get the 10% member discount online.

Confirmed that the sale has been extended.

Also, for any new members, the $8 off coupon and the standard 10% discount in store are making these movies a little under $11. My copy of Rashomon was $10.73 after tax.

[quote name='voice4hire']Confirmed that the sale has been extended.

Also, for any new members, the $8 off coupon and the standard 10% discount in store are making these movies a little under $11. My copy of Rashomon was $10.73 after tax.[/QUOTE]

What $8 coupon do you speak of?

[quote name='voice4hire']The one you can get if you're a new member in the last few weeks.[/QUOTE]

I thought the $8 is off a purchase of $40 on a single dvd or blu ray. am i wrong?

I accidentally ended up with an opened copy of Rashomon on DVD, argh. Totally missed that it wasn't a Blu-Ray. Didn't handle the disc or anything, but since I only collect BRs I have no use for it. So if anyone would be kind enough to buy it from me for $25 shipped, I'd greatly appreciate it.

[quote name='eastx']I accidentally ended up with an opened copy of Rashomon on DVD, argh. Totally missed that it wasn't a Blu-Ray. Didn't handle the disc or anything, but since I only collect BRs I have no use for it. So if anyone would be kind enough to buy it from me for $25 shipped, I'd greatly appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

you should post this in the trading forum. But also that is more expensive than if someone bought it brand new.

The coupon is for a $40 regularly priced movie, yes...but it works. Just ask them to scan the coupon regardless. It will work.

[quote name='electricsleep']Someone posted a 30% off coupon on slick deals. It works with criterion's on the website. The code is T9P3E3W. There's also an in store coupon here, http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/print_nav.asp?pid=45698 but its not valid until the 23rd while you can use the code online now.[/QUOTE]It's a single use coupon online and it's for a single item only.

I'm sure you could make multiple accounts to use the coupon more than once, if you wanted.

FYI, Amazon has Brazil available for pre-order for $20.99. So if you did a pre-order with B&N while it was 50% off ($24.99), you might want to cancel it and order from Amazon instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Brazil-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Jonathan/dp/B009D004X6/

Other upcoming Criterion pre-orders are also $20.99 as well (I checked Following and Purple Noon, not sure what others might be that price), though Brazil is the best deal.

Edit: Looks like it's just Brazil, Following, and Purple Noon. All of the ones coming out after that are higher.

bread's done
Back