Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off Sale (November 1 - 21, 2011)

DetroitSportsFan

CAGiversary!
Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale will be running November 1-21. This applies to any Criterion Blu-Ray and DVD released before the end of the sale. Pre-orders do not apply.

Now make your lists and prepare your wallets. :bouncy:

I really wish they would space this out more.

I feel like the last sale was just yesterday. It always gives me so much anxiety of finding the best deal and the movies I want.

[quote name='gdemander']I really wish they would space this out more.

I feel like the last sale was just yesterday. It always gives me so much anxiety of finding the best deal and the movies I want.[/QUOTE]

It's going to be roughly 5 months since the last one. For a sale that happens twice a year how much more space do you need?

[quote name='Techsticles']I might pick up a copy of Salo.[/QUOTE]

Unless you are wondering whether you will still be alive on November 1st, I'm not sure why the word "might" is in that sentence...

Oh good, the sale will still be running when the Three Colors trilogy comes out. That's my highest priority title this time around (though I'm sure I'll buy plenty of others too...).

The downside is that it ends the day before Rushmore and 12 Angry Men come out. Doh!

[quote name='ssjmichael']It's going to be roughly 5 months since the last one. For a sale that happens twice a year how much more space do you need?[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I'd prefer if it were a bit more evenly spaced in the year as well. There are eight months between the start of the November sale and the start of the July sale, and only four months between July and November. It means that there's a lot more to catch up on in July generally. I mean, I kind of get why they choose those months -- July is in the middle of the summer, November is right before Christmas -- but it's still a bit annoying. That being said, at least the new release lists in January and February tend to be a bit smaller.

Or, you know, I'd be totally fine with them running in March as well, to just make it evenly spaced over every four months... ;)

Oh, and so here's going to be the dilemma of the sale...

Orpheus was released on blu-ray by itself in August.

The Blood of a Poet and Testament of Orpheus were only ever released on DVD in the Orphic Trilogy box set, not individually.

So... grab Orpheus by itself now, or hold out for an Orphic Trilogy blu-ray box set? I'd rather not end up having to buy Orpheus on blu-ray twice just to get the other two...

[quote name='arcane93']Oh, and so here's going to be the dilemma of the sale...

Orpheus was released on blu-ray by itself in August.

The Blood of a Poet and Testament of Orpheus were only ever released on DVD in the Orphic Trilogy box set, not individually.

So... grab Orpheus by itself now, or hold out for an Orphic Trilogy blu-ray box set? I'd rather not end up buying Orpheus on blu-ray twice just to get the other two...[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, Criterion lost the rights to the other two last year which is why they released Orpheus separately.. So unless that situation changes, odds are you won't see a Blu release for the trilogy anytime soon.

[quote name='ssjmichael']From what I've read Criterion lost the rights to the other two, so odds are you won't see a Blu release for the trilogy anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Ah, damn, I saw that the Trilogy DVD set was out of print, but I was hoping that it was just because they were preparing a new version of it. Hrm, ok, guess maybe I'll grab the standalone Orpheus after all then...

Guess it's just Fear & Loathing and Dazed & Confused for me this time around.

Let's hope we have some more coupons during the sale timeframe.

[quote name='DestroVega']Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd of course Rushmore comes out the 22nd.[/QUOTE]

Same for 12 Angry Men too. I can't seem to recall, are pre-orders included in this? I could have sworn it was the last time

Uh oh. I went a little crazy with the last two facebook sales and the last BN sale. But, the plus side is that I have all the blu-rays (except The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth) now so I only have to buy the new releases and maybe some DVDs.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Same for 12 Angry Men too. I can't seem to recall, are pre-orders included in this? I could have sworn it was the last time[/QUOTE]

Someone on SD posted that they believed that titles that released during the same month as the sale had received the discount in sales past. I hope. Canceling my D&C preorder at amazon now. Hanging on to my Rushmore quick picks preorder.

I'm hoping to pick up:

Terrence Malick flicks
Three Colors
Dazed and Confused
Rushmore
Benjamin Button
... Some of those samurai flicks.

[quote name='vodkablast']Uh oh. I went a little crazy with the last two facebook sales and the last BN sale. But, the plus side is that I have all the blu-rays (except The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth) now so I only have to buy the new releases and maybe some DVDs.[/QUOTE]

You have ALL of the Criterion Blu-rays except those two? :shock:

1. Battle of Algiers
2. The Killing
3. Dazed and Confused

That's all I'm getting this time around. Rushmore and 12 Angry Men will have to wait.

I'll post a link to potential coupons once I get to a computer.

EDIT: Link to current coupons (it's updated to reflect current deals)

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to blind buy the Three Colors trilogy since my Double Life of Veronique blind buy was so good. That'll probably be it. Too bad The Lady Vanishes is Dec.

Probably only to get Diabolique, and maybe Harakiri this time. Not sure about the latter as I'm reading Criterion didn't fix the cropping issues that were found on the DVD version

Here's what I'm hoping to be snagging...hopefully my wallet complies!

The Killing
High and Low
Cul-de-Sac
Kuroneko
Paths of Glory
The Phantom Carriage

And I'm sure I'll end up getting something I haven't thought of yet! =p

[quote name='jughead']Someone on SD posted that they believed that titles that released during the same month as the sale had received the discount in sales past. I hope.[/QUOTE]

Titles released while the sale is going on will be discounted. Anything that comes out after the last day of the sale won't. Some people have had luck getting store employees to manually put the discount on a pre-order for a title that comes out later, but that's very YMMV.

[quote name='Masterkyo']OOP Criterion DVD 50% - 70% off with Free Shipping.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, seriously tempted to order Alphaville for $14.99, but I wonder how long it will be until Studio Canal puts out a blu-ray...

[quote name='ssjmichael']Wow, fantastic deal on the Essential Art House Volumes. 6 movies for $29.99.[/QUOTE]

I end up picked up Vol. 1, 3 and 4 under $90 shipped. I plan waiting for BLu-ray release but the Price is hard to pass up! :)

If you have a mastercard, they're having an offer where you can get a $20 gc for $10 (through statement credit), it unlocks very soon, sign up here and go to the overwhelming offers section:

http://www.marketplace.mastercard.com/overwhelmingoffer

only the first 3,000 people get the offer

edit: I got one, bought a $20gc with it. Hopefully I get the $10 credit. If not, it's not the end of the world since I'm going to buy things anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon hasn't been that consistent lately with matching these criterion sales, though they often drop many of their movies to 50% off, even now.

[quote name='ssjmichael']If you have a mastercard, they're having an offer where you can get a $20 gc for $10 (through statement credit), it unlocks very soon, sign up here and go to the overwhelming offers section:

http://www.marketplace.mastercard.com/overwhelmingoffer

only the first 3,000 people get the offer

edit: I got one, bought a $20gc with it. Hopefully I get the $10 credit. If not, it's not the end of the world since I'm going to buy things anyway.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the link for the GC offer, I was the last one to get one. :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']Amazon hasn't been that consistent lately with matching these criterion sales, though they often drop many of their movies to 50% off, even now.[/QUOTE]They have been, though of course the real enjoyment of the Criterion sale is when BN has coupons that happily stack with the 50% off sale. With $19.99 + tax, Amazon's $21.49 deals are about as much as the BN deal at $50 off.

Amazon has intermittently matched BN prices on Criterions when they run the 50% off sale, though it's hit or miss on what they match.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']wish they had the rights to the story of ricky

but going to grab :
Videodrome
Fear and Loathing

good find op ! :)[/QUOTE]

A little off topic, but I did find Riki-Oh at a local record store, and it was an official release, I believe through Tokyo Shock. So, at least that movie isn't forgotten in a box at a Chinese flea market.

....and B&N just closed the Music/Movie section of my local store. :( I haven't had the best luck w/ their shipping packaging not damaging some of the cardboard packaged Criterions either. Oh well. I'm still gonna go crazy with this sale, as uaual.

[quote name='Vulgarism']A little off topic, but I did find Riki-Oh at a local record store, and it was an official release, I believe through Tokyo Shock. So, at least that movie isn't forgotten in a box at a Chinese flea market.[/QUOTE]

yeah it just came out on Blu like 2 weeks ago

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']It did? Amazon says the release day is November 22.[/QUOTE]

lol, much better than what B&N says:

• Blu-ray Release Date: 12/31/2025

I contacted Criterion recently about whether they had any Third Man replacement cases left and they responded today telling me they added some to their store. I was happy to hear this but then I found out they're charging $5.95 shipping for it. $11.30 (w/ taxes) for just a plastic case and insert is crazy. They had a replacement program back in the day where it was just $5 shipping included. Shipping is free with a $50 purchase, but I can't justify spending that much there either for non-sale items.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I contacted Criterion recently about whether they had any Third Man replacement cases left and they responded today telling me they added some to their store. I was happy to hear this but then I found out they're charging $5.95 shipping for it. $11.30 (w/ taxes) for just a plastic case and insert is crazy. They had a replacement program back in the day where it was just $5 shipping included. Shipping is free with a $50 purchase, but I can't justify spending that much there either for non-sale items.[/QUOTE]

Yup. And the worst part is that there's no discount whatsoever for buying multiples. I have all of the Criterion blu-ray releases that came in the cardboard cases, and if I could replace all of them for a reasonable amount, I would. But over $50 for cases is ridiculous.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']i'm scared about how much im gunna spend at barnes and nobles in a few days....
I just got into foreign films, especially french XD[/QUOTE]

OMG French films are the best. Breathless and Le Cercle Rouge are two of my favorite films ever. Le Cercle Rouge is probably the most intensely detailed heist films, with the actual heist in the movie taking about forty minutes, because every single action of the heist is shown. No crazy jump cuts with rock and roll music over a 30 second heist montage; you get the whole thing in excruciating detail, and every second is as suspenseful as the last.

Seriously, look up anything by Jean-Luc Goddard or Jean-Pierre Melville, and you will be very, very happy.

bread's done
Back