Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off Sale (November 1 - 21, 2011)

DetroitSportsFan

CAGiversary!
Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale will be running November 1-21. This applies to any Criterion Blu-Ray and DVD released before the end of the sale. Pre-orders do not apply.

Now make your lists and prepare your wallets. :bouncy:

I end up spending around $500. I wonder any promotion Buy $100 GC & get extra $10 still going? Also, if u have Citi Master Card you get 5X points every dollar.

1. Salo
2. Harakiri
3. High and Low
4. Leon Morin Pretre
5. Life During Wartime
6. Orpheus
7. Island of Lost Souls
8. If
9. Battle of Algiers
10. Carlos
11. Kuroneko
12. Indentification of a women
13. The four Feathers
14. The Phantom Carriage
15. The Killing
16. The Complete Jean Vigo
17. Secret Sunshine
18. Cul De Sac
19. 3 Women
20. People Sunday
21. My life as a Dog
22. Yi Yi
23. Les Cousins
24. Le Beau Serge
25. The Rules of the Game
26. Three Colors
27. Fanny and Alexander Set

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jscme']Sale is live now and also stacks with the Halloween mystery code for the next few minutes at least.[/QUOTE]

Where do I get that code?

edit: nm, read up on it and they seem to be sent via email or something.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Where do I get that code?

edit: nm, read up on it and they seem to be sent via email or something.[/QUOTE]

i didn't get the Halloween code, so just used the 10% discount. not sure if any codes stack with that or if there's any better ones out other than the instore 20% AMEX ones.

edit: do Criterions ever run out of print? i saw a few pre-orders that i'd like to get but my wallet's pretty angry at the moment...

[quote name='fencermusashi']OMG French films are the best. Breathless and Le Cercle Rouge are two of my favorite films ever. Le Cercle Rouge is probably the most intensely detailed heist films, with the actual heist in the movie taking about forty minutes, because every single action of the heist is shown. No crazy jump cuts with rock and roll music over a 30 second heist montage; you get the whole thing in excruciating detail, and every second is as suspenseful as the last.

Seriously, look up anything by Jean-Luc Goddard or Jean-Pierre Melville, and you will be very, very happy.[/QUOTE]
Yes I have been getting into godard alot lol

It looks like even pre-orders are 50% off! Just added Twelve Angry Men and Rushmore to my cart for $20 each.

[quote name='swick']It looks like even pre-orders are 50% off! Just added Twelve Angry Men and Rushmore to my cart for $20 each.[/QUOTE]

Oooh nice. Gonna check this out myself.

M

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']Pre-order prices are back to normal. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Whew glad I got my order of "Tokyo Drifter" and "Branded to Kill" in before that happened.

M

[quote name='joeyatog']I found a couple coupons that might be useful. These are for BN members only:

$5 off a $50 purchase and $8 off a single $40 DVD/Blu-Ray (good for the box sets)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=38986[/QUOTE]

Just be aware that those are for new memberships (not even renewals) purchased between 8/22 and 10/26, and they're not technically supposed to be usable by anyone else. In the past they've worked for everyone, and there's a fair chance that they will this time as well, but there is always the possibility they'll crack down. I'm not sure whether the employees have the ability to check the start dates on individual memberships themselves, but that may make it a bit more YMMV as well. It's worth a try, just realize that (unless you bought a new membership in that time frame) you're technically not supposed to be able to use them and you really have no standing if they refuse it.

If you have an American Express card, here's a 20% off coupon:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/Print_nav.asp?r=1&PID=39037

[quote name='arcane93']Just be aware that those are for new memberships (not even renewals) purchased between 8/22 and 10/26, and they're not technically supposed to be usable by anyone else. In the past they've worked for everyone, and there's a fair chance that they will this time as well, but there is always the possibility they'll crack down. I'm not sure whether the employees have the ability to check the start dates on individual memberships themselves, but that may make it a bit more YMMV as well. It's worth a try, just realize that (unless you bought a new membership in that time frame) you're technically not supposed to be able to use them and you really have no standing if they refuse it.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the heads up! I also read on blu-ray.com that there are rumors of new coupons being released this Thursday. I'm hoping for those $5 off and DVD/Blu coupons they've ran in the past! I loved getting $12.50 Criterion Blu's!!

Oy...I bought like 12 blus back in the July sale. I think I might limit myself this time. The Three Colors trilogy is my only must-have right now (though if Rushmore and 12 Angry Men were out, they'd be up there). Beyond that, maybe Island of Lost Souls, Four Feathers, Night of the Hunter, Battle for Algiers...

So much for limiting myself. :roll:

[quote name='ssjmichael']I contacted Criterion recently about whether they had any Third Man replacement cases left and they responded today telling me they added some to their store. I was happy to hear this but then I found out they're charging $5.95 shipping for it. $11.30 (w/ taxes) for just a plastic case and insert is crazy. They had a replacement program back in the day where it was just $5 shipping included. Shipping is free with a $50 purchase, but I can't justify spending that much there either for non-sale items.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arcane93']Yup. And the worst part is that there's no discount whatsoever for buying multiples. I have all of the Criterion blu-ray releases that came in the cardboard cases, and if I could replace all of them for a reasonable amount, I would. But over $50 for cases is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this drives me nuts too. Shame a bunch of us can't place a bulk order and offset the exorbitant shipping.

I bought The Killing and If... today. Too be honest not that great of a sale on most things. After tax I only ended up saving around $3 each compared to what I would have paid on amazon.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I bought The Killing and If... today. Too be honest not that great of a sale on most things. After tax I only ended up saving around $3 each compared to what I would have paid on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Actually on "most things" this sale is better than the prices on Amazon, even after taxes. Did you use a coupon btw? There are 7-10% coupons floating around that essentially make up for taxes

[quote name='ssjmichael']Actually on "most things" this sale is better than the prices on Amazon, even after taxes. Did you use a coupon btw? There are 7-10% coupons floating around that essentially make up for taxes[/QUOTE]

I've got a few B&N's around me and I've only had one employee out of the ten or so times I've bought Criterions during these sales accept a coupon. They've been told by managers that it's one or the other.

[quote name='kill3r7']20% off coupon instore and online (members only). Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Oh man, AK 100 (featuring 25 Kurosawa films) comes down to $159.99 with that coupon. I already own all of his movies but one (Dersu Uzala) but I'm always so tempted to buy that set when I see it.

grabbed:

kuroneko
the killing
dazed and confused
secret sunshine
warped world of koreyoshi kurahara eclipse

probably going to upgrade my dvds of high and low, harakiri, and yi yi before the sale is done

[quote name='ssjmichael']Oh man, AK 100 (featuring 25 Kurosawa films) comes down to $159.99 with that coupon. I already own all of his movies but one (Dersu Uzala) but I'm always so tempted to buy that set when I see it.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to use the $8off $40 coupon if you decide to pick it up instore. I think about buying this set every time it's on sale but the only thing holding me back is that I now own quite a few of the movies on blu ray.

Ordered The Killing for on-line purchase with the 20% off coupon as my normal BN stores near to me didn't have it in-stock.

Set aside in-store reserves on Kuroneko, Dazed and Confused and Secret Sunshine. Hope the coupons will work like they used to with stacking, though from what I remember from the last time someone reported using coupons, they didn't work. 20% off on one, $5 of $50 on the order and $8 off $40 on another title will be nice stacking with the 10% off from the BN membership card.

[quote name='Squall835']Does that work with graphic novels as well?[/QUOTE]

Yeah in-stock ones (i.e. no pre-orders). It takes it off the list price though, not the reduced price.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I bought The Killing and If... today. Too be honest not that great of a sale on most things. After tax I only ended up saving around $3 each compared to what I would have paid on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Coupons? Member discount?

I bought 3 blu-ray titles today for $44.31 including tax, 41.80 subtotal. (Four Feathers, Phantom Carriage, Island of Lost Souls).

On Amazon it would have been over $70 for the same 3 titles.

I plan to get about 12-15 titles using similar member discount + coupons strategy and should easily save over $100 compared to Amazon.

I'm bummed because the BN Membership I use has expired...totally kills this deal for the most part! I had some GCs so I'll only pick up what those can get me. I guess it's an omen, because I don't really have the $$$ to go Criterion-Crazy right now! =p

[quote name='Agent Orange']Coupons? Member discount?

I bought 3 blu-ray titles today for $44.31 including tax, 41.80 subtotal. (Four Feathers, Phantom Carriage, Island of Lost Souls).

On Amazon it would have been over $70 for the same 3 titles.

I plan to get about 12-15 titles using similar member discount + coupons strategy and should easily save over $100 compared to Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Did they let you stack on the 20% single item, $8 off $40 title and $5 off $50 coupons all on the same transaction? I tried the same thing, so was denied on all three at once. I was able to use the $8 off $40 title + membership on two with a filler item (bookmark) on one transaction and the 20% off single item + membership on a second transaction.

Ended up being $14.40 for the single movie ($20 - $2 - $3.60) with $10 for one movie ($20 - $2 - $8) and $18 for the other movie on the second transaction. Net cost before tax was $42.40 and $45.80 after tax, with $10 extra savings for buying the $20 GC w/$10 credit rebate from the Mastercard daily deal mentioned previously in the thread. So, ended up being $35.80 out of pocket for Kuroneko, Dazed and Confused and Secret Sunshine.

I've picked up Identification of a Woman, Dazed and Confused, Carlos, and Kuroneko, for a total of about $60 so far... but the sale is still young. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']Did they let you stack on the 20% single item, $8 off $40 title and $5 off $50 coupons all on the same transaction?[/QUOTE]

Last year I was able to stack two coupons together. At first she told me that it won't accept the same coupon. I then mentioned that they were different coupons with different codes (which they were). She said "Oh ok." and proceeded to try it. It worked. I tried it again the next day with a different cashier and she claimed that I need to be over a certain amount and said that if I bought a 60 cent cd opener it would put me over. I bought it and returned the cd opener.

I haven't tried it this year as I don't have a member account anymore.

M

[quote name='Mikerocosms']Last year I was able to stack two coupons together. At first she told me that it won't accept the same coupon. I then mentioned that they were different coupons with different codes (which they were). She said "Oh ok." and proceeded to try it. It worked. I tried it again the next day with a different cashier and she claimed that I need to be over a certain amount and said that if I bought a 60 cent cd opener it would put me over. I bought it and returned the cd opener.

I haven't tried it this year as I don't have a member account anymore.

M[/QUOTE]Last sale I was able to stack the $5 off $50 promotion, the $8 off $40 item and the 20% off single item coupon all on the same transaction with 3 Criterion titles. This time, I had to split them out as I detailed above.

Breathless, Kiss Me Deadly, Vampyr, The Night Porter, The Phantom Carriage, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Going back in two weeks for Identification of a Woman, 3 Women, Three Colors, and Le Cerce Rouge if they restock it.

I want to get in on this, just to see the true awesomeness of Criterion, but I really don't know what to get.
I tried watching The Killing last night with netflix. I fell asleep half way through. I was quite tired. But I really do wonder if the Action packed movies of today have warped me into somebody who just can't deal with the slower moving movies of yesteryear. I HOpe not.

[quote name='sunnysky']I want to get in on this, just to see the true awesomeness of Criterion, but I really don't know what to get.
I tried watching The Killing last night with netflix. I fell asleep half way through. I was quite tired. But I really do wonder if the Action packed movies of today have warped me into somebody who just can't deal with the slower moving movies of yesteryear. I HOpe not.[/QUOTE]

My advice is to not give up. I use to be the same way, and I would rarely watch any movie from before the 90s. One day I decided to check out Seven Samurai, and I fell in love with foreign and black and white films since. I will say that for me, it wasn't immediately love. I stopped and started Seven Samurai about 6 times in the first hour because I wasn't getting into it, haha. But I've since rewatched Seven Samurai like 4 times in the past 2 years.

I think a good introduction to Criterion would probably be Kurosawa or Melville. In particular, High and Low from Kurosawa, or Le Samouraï by Melville, but that's just my opinion. :)

[quote name='Easystride']My advice is to not give up. I use to be the same way, and I would rarely watch any movie from before the 90s. One day I decided to check out Seven Samurai, and I fell in love with foreign and black and white films since. I will say that for me, it wasn't immediately love. I stopped and started Seven Samurai about 6 times in the first hour because I wasn't getting into it, haha. But I've since rewatched Seven Samurai like 4 times in the past 2 years.

I think a good introduction to Criterion would probably be Kurosawa or Melville. In particular, High and Low from Kurosawa, or Le Samouraï by Melville, but that's just my opinion. :)[/QUOTE]

I'd second Kurosawa any day. I was one who would rarely watch anything pre-80s... Then Seven Samurai was brought to my attention and changed everything. I would say Yojimbo would be a must watch.

Well so far, I got Dazed and Confused in store. I ordered Kuroneko on blu online for $16.81. Was able to use 20% coupon since I signed up for 2 free months of membership.

bread's done
Back