Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off Sale (November 1 - 21, 2011)

DetroitSportsFan

CAGiversary!
Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale will be running November 1-21. This applies to any Criterion Blu-Ray and DVD released before the end of the sale. Pre-orders do not apply.

Now make your lists and prepare your wallets. :bouncy:

Can't believe I found out about this sale so late. Oh well, guess that means less time to read and add to a list and such. Going out now to see if I can snag a copy of Cronos (probably blu-ray), Paths of Glory, and Sweet Smell of Success (probably all blu-ray). These are just the must haves that have been on my list since they were announced (really enjoyed Cronos after renting it, watching it twice, and the special features some of teh best I've ever seen on any release) Still thinking about Kuroneko/Great Dictator.

Ordered Samurai Trilogy online...

Last night, I went and picked up If... on blu and 1 disc Brazil. With membership and 20% off, I got these two for under $31.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost grabbed more titles yesterday but held off... had to use the 40% off board game coupon since those things never go on sale.

[quote name='AshesofWake']oh gosh. I wonder if Solaris blu ray is worth the upgrade....I have the original Criterion Dvd release though...[/QUOTE]

The blu-ray is quite well done, with a solid HD transfer (within the limits of the film stock, of course). Also, if you have the original DVD release, there are some significant differences in the transfer -- most notably, Criterion apparently discovered that the black and white scenes were actually (as Tarkovsky wanted them) supposed to be tinted blue, and the new version corrects this. The extras are the same. I'd say it's worth the upgrade, if you like the movie enough (and if you're even asking this question, I assume that you probably do).

Yeah, I read about the changes, went ahead and picked it up. I'll probably give my original copy to my Uncle since he loves the movie too. But yeah, thanks!

Just bumping the thread to remind everyone that today's the last day of the sale. If there's anything that you've been holding out on, today would be the day to pick it up. (I made my last purchase of the sale yesterday... already starting my list for the next one in July!)

[quote name='jazzman']Has anyone seen a copy of Rushmore at their stores?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't come out until tomorrow. Even if they've gotten it in, they probably couldn't sell it to you. (I tried to buy a copy of the Three Colors trilogy on the day before release, and their system wouldn't let them sell it to me.)

anyone else having trouble loading B&N's site?

edit: nm, it's working again. Was afraid I got banned after having a heated debate with their CS

Last edited by a moderator:
So proud of myself for not going last night to get Dazed & Confused. I spent way too much on this sale. My final haul:

F For Fake
Le Samourai
Le Circle Rouge
Knife In The Water
Rashomon
Sanjuro
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
Life and Times of Harvey Milk
Solaris
High and Low

[quote name='AshesofWake']So proud of myself for not going last night to get Dazed & Confused. I spent way too much on this sale. My final haul:

F For Fake
Le Samourai
Le Circle Rouge
Knife In The Water
Rashomon
Sanjuro
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
Life and Times of Harvey Milk
Solaris
High and Low[/QUOTE]

Nice haul.

Just found out Late Spring comes with the documentary Tokyo-Ga (92 mins), definitely getting that one the next sale as I recently watched the re-worked version Late Autumn and loved it. I've been holding back on buying Ozu films because I'm hoping they'll get put on Blu-ray but I don't know if it'll happen anytime soon. I know some of them are on Blu overseas

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just found out Late Spring comes with the documentary Tokyo-Ga (92 mins), definitely getting that one the next sale as I recently watched the re-worked version Late Autumn and loved it. I've been holding back on buying Ozu films because I'm hoping they'll get put on Blu-ray but I don't know if it'll happen anytime soon. I know some of them are on Blu overseas[/QUOTE]

BFI has put several Ozu titles out on blu-ray in the UK. They're region locked, and from what I've heard, the transfers leave a good bit to be desired. I'm really kind of shocked that Criterion hasn't done any yet, but I'd say that it's one of the biggest gaps for them to start filling in the blu-ray collection, so I'd be surprised if we don't start seeing them relatively soon (total speculation, of course, but if there's demand for any director's work in the catalog that they haven't done on blu at all yet, it's those).

bread's done
Back