Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off Sale - Starts November 5th

I can hardly wait! :bouncy:

I will definitely be getting:

City Lights

I Married a Witch

The Uninvited

M

High and Low

And I'm sure there are others that I will get on impulse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when this will end? I would really like to get Zatoichi during this sale but it doesn't come out until Nov 26.

Smiles of a Summer Night*
Ivan's Childhood
The Blob
Heaven's Gate
Slacker
Eyes Without a Face
Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman
Autumn Sonata *
The Uninvited

I think that's my target for this sale... may pass on Zatoichi. Depends if I find it in-store or not.

Anyone remember what happened last year? The week before they had a B2G1 free on all DVDs/Blu Rays and for a few hours the deals intersected. So you got 50% off and B2G1 free. That was awesome

Do the B&N member coupons still stack with sale prices like they did a year and a half ago?  I passed on the last couple Criterion sales, but since I'm definitely picking up Zatoichi I'd be half way to paying off the membership.  Plus if coupons stack I'd end up buying more to cover the membership cost.  I vaguely remember reading in another thread that its tougher to get cashiers to take coupons on sale items if they even take them at all.  

I think it's YMMV on the coupons stacking. I know for a fact that my B&N's register beeped and they did not override it. Others on here mentioned that even though it beeped their clerk pushed it through.

M

Coupons should stack. I used one when they had the 30% off all movies sale, along with the member discount. The coupons are one per account, however. I'm guessing the next round of coupons will be close to Thanksgiving.

Coupons should stack. I used one when they had the 30% off all movies sale, along with the member discount. The coupons are one per account, however. I'm guessing the next round of coupons will be close to Thanksgiving.
Not necessarily. Coupons usually stack with other sales, but the past few times they've disabled them for Criterion titles during the Criterion sale. Sometimes you can get cashiers to do an override, but I've found that happens less often as time goes on too (I assume the store managers are getting more strict about it).

A real shame too. I find myself feeling less and less enthused about this sale each time it happens, to the point that I almost don't even care now. I went to Barnes and Noble tonight, looked around a bit, determined that they aren't taking coupons (I got some in the mail the other day) and walked out without buying anything... I'd have to renew my membership to get the member discount, and in order to do anything more than break even on that I'd have to buy 13 titles (and then I'd end up ahead by a whole dollar). It's hard to justify it, because I use the membership so little during the rest of the year. And no coupons. Meh.

I may just hold out until the next time Criterion themselves have a 50% off sale. At least there you can eventually earn a gift certificate with the loyalty points.

(Ok, so I'll probably still buy a few titles, but I doubt I'll be filling out my complete collection the way I have in the past...)

I have like 6 B&N's around me and I have never gotten one to take a coupon on the Criterion sale. They always tell me they have been told that they can't accept coupons on them since they are already 50% off.

Out of the one's that aren't out yet that release before the sale ends I'll be getting Frances Ha and Tokyo Story. If I can get them to use the 20% off coupon I have then I'll probably get that Zatoichi box set also.

That Zatoichi set is soooo mine. I didn't even know it was something that real until this morning but I ordered it as soon as I found out. I absolutely love the Zatoichi films. Good thing there is an on-going 50% off sale too; I would have bought it in an instant at full price upon learning of its existence but that kind of money would have given me a tiny bit of buyer's remorse afterwards.

Preordered City Lights, so I have all the Chaplin Criterion releases.

Picked up La Cage aux Folles on blu last night. Going to wait until City Lights comes out to get that. I think I'm going to stop there this year. sigh. 

The only other one I want is: 

3 Films By Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman (Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray] (1954)

but it's 50 after the discount. sigh.

Just in case anyone was hopeful...the 30% coupon for Black Friday does NOT work on the Criterion sale. Kind of a bummer, as I was really digging the idea of snagging that Zatoichi set for $80...but $113 isn't bad.

Just in case anyone was hopeful...the 30% coupon for Black Friday does NOT work on the Criterion sale. Kind of a bummer, as I was really digging the idea of snagging that Zatoichi set for $80...but $113 isn't bad.
DId you go to a B&M or try to order online? I went in today and asked two different sales associates and both said it would work with Criterion sale. One even offered to plug in the code and give me the 30% off without the coupon.

Here's the link for the 30% coupon. Just a reminder, the coupon and the Criterion sale are good through this Monday (12/2).

Edit: Also, from the coupon:

30% Off One Item Coupon Details

For each customer, this coupon can be redeemed once at any Barnes & Noble retail store and once per billing address online at B&N.com.

got Zatoichi from a B&M earlier today, used the 30% off coupon as well as the 10% off for being a member. 70.87+ tax. Damn Im happy :D

Code does not work for Criterion Collection online, but does work for other sale items. Does the B&M policy differ with regards to this coupon and CC titles (I know prices sometimes vary, maybe the coupon too), or are people lucking out with discounts they shouldn't be getting?

How did you guys get the coupon to work in store since the coupon says it can't be used with other discounts? I've only been rejected when i try to use these. 

Thinking about doing a blind buy on Last Emperor (16.49) and Anatomy of a Murder (17.59) Amazon lightning deals. Are those prices about as good as they get or would the B&N sale be cheaper?

Thinking about doing a blind buy on Last Emperor (16.49) and Anatomy of a Murder (17.59) Amazon lightning deals. Are those prices about as good as they get or would the B&N sale be cheaper?
Well if you use 30% off coupon knock it down $13.99 plus taxes if you are BN member knock down extra 10% :) Coupon expires in 2 days ;)

Code does not work for Criterion Collection online, but does work for other sale items. Does the B&M policy differ with regards to this coupon and CC titles (I know prices sometimes vary, maybe the coupon too), or are people lucking out with discounts they shouldn't be getting?
How did you guys get the coupon to work in store since the coupon says it can't be used with other discounts? I've only been rejected when i try to use these.
For those it's working for, the clerks must be pushing it through. Just a guess. I'm going to try it again at a different store and I'll report back on what happens.

DId you go to a B&M or try to order online? I went in today and asked two different sales associates and both said it would work with Criterion sale. One even offered to plug in the code and give me the 30% off without the coupon.

Here's the link for the 30% coupon. Just a reminder, the coupon and the Criterion sale are good through this Monday (12/2).

Edit: Also, from the coupon:

30% Off One Item Coupon Details

For each customer, this coupon can be redeemed once at any Barnes & Noble retail store and once per billing address online at B&N.com.

I'd tried online. My local store doesn't have a media section anymore...just a ridiculously large kids section in its place. It's super lame, as it was pretty much the only reason I even bothered going to the store, and the only reason I had a membership...no sense buying a book in stores when online is so much cheaper...I went there primarily for Criterion titles, and occasionally other movie deals.

For those it's working for, the clerks must be pushing it through. Just a guess. I'm going to try it again at a different store and I'll report back on what happens.
I bought six discs at two stores (the only two in my town). This is apparently happening without any trouble. It is good even if the item is discounted. It says on the coupon "the 30% discount will be applied . . . after all other eligible discounts . . . are applied." Once again though, it does not work for Criterion titles online (but does for other, non-Criterion discounted titles).

Today is the LAST Day for the coupon. The coupon is work perfectly on Criterion titles (instore Only). here's the 40% off instore code 706511

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop/promodetails.asp?x=&promoid=11462&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-je6NUbpObpQ-_-10:1&r=1

Your last day Pick up Big titles like Zatoichi Set for CHEAP. You can ask the cashier order instore & shipped to you with 40% off code ;)
Thanks for posting this. Today (12/1) is the last day for the 30% coupon too. The clerk had told me it was good through Monday, but that's not the case.

Went in last night and picked up another Criterion title with no problems.

Today is the LAST Day for the coupon. The coupon is work perfectly on Criterion titles (instore Only). here's the 40% off instore code 706511

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop/promodetails.asp?x=&promoid=11462&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-je6NUbpObpQ-_-10:1&r=1

Your last day Pick up Big titles like Zatoichi Set for CHEAP. You can ask the cashier order instore & shipped to you with 40% off code ;)
40% off coupon is not displaying. It didn't work online either (says I don't meet eligibility requirements.)

40% off coupon is not displaying. It didn't work online either (says I don't meet eligibility requirements.)
Try order instore & shipped to home. Your best bet to use 40% off coupon if your store don't carry Zatoichi Box Set or anything titles instock. FYI. You can use both coupons the same transaction 30% & 40%. No go if you do 40% & 40% in one transaction ;)

I want to kiss you all. The 30 percent coupon worked without a hitch in store.came out to $85 something for the Zatoichi set. Looks like I won't be eating for a few months.

bread's done
Back