Baseball Mogul 2009 (Windows) $2 Download Thursday 3/5 Only

Godzilla Blitz

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it anywhere...

The downloaded version of Baseball Mogul 2009 (Windows) is available today for only $2. Usually it is $19.99.

A few things to note:

• The price doesn't show up until you put it in your cart and begin the checkout process.
• Baseball Mogul 2010 is supposed to be released soon (next month?).
• There might be a limit on the number of $2 copies before they put it back up to regular price, so it may not last the day.
• I might have some of these details wrong, as I'm working from memory.

Some background in case you're interested:
Baseball Mogul is a text-sim game, so it's not for everyone. There are very few graphics, and the ones that exist are simple. Basically, you play the role of a general manager in baseball and lead your team over decades. The most popular baseball text-sim is Out of the Park Baseball. Baseball Mogul is a simpler, faster-playing game than OOTP, but it has its fans because of the streamlined play. You can play a number of seasons in a evening, if you make decisions quickly. I like both games, each for different reasons.

With Baseball Mogul 2010 coming out soon, this version will be old in a couple of months, but for $2 it might be a good way for people who have never tried this type of game to give this a whirl.

Last edited by a moderator:
You approach home plate. There is a bat lying on the ground. A catcher and umpire are watching you. A pitcher appears ready to throw something at you.

>Get Bat

You are holding the bat. The pitcher throws the ball. It will pass very close to your stomach.

>Swing Bat

The bat connects with the ball and sends it flying into the outfield.

>North

You run up the third base line. Your teammates are yelling at you to turn around.

>South

You are back at home plate. The outfielder drops the ball. The crowd yells louder. Your teammates look angry.

>East

You are thrown out as you arrive at first. You are replaced in the lineup and sent to the minor leagues. Better luck next time.

GAME OVER

First thing I thought of for Text-Sim Baseball. I'd totally play it.
Seriously tho, I hope it's still available when I get home. I'll pick it up for $2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got it for free. I added it to the cart and a $2 off coupon I ran across a few days ago was still there. I've only ever used OOTP so this is a good chance to give this a try.

They're a nice little company, programmer regularly updates and gets feedback from players.
I'll definitely buy the new version when it's released.

[quote name='Mithrilrider']I just got it for free. I added it to the cart and a $2 off coupon I ran across a few days ago was still there. I've only ever used OOTP so this is a good chance to give this a try.

[/quote]

Thanks, got it for free too.

What the heck, downloaded for free too. Thanks OP and Mithrilrider. I wanna play Darthjer's version of the game tho. Lol running towards third from home.

Thanks OP. Baseball Mogul is a great game and a good company. I didn't update after 2008, so this is great to get to 2009

Had tried posting this before but got no interest. Glad to see people taking the time to play a well-made game like this, it's by far the best text-based sports sim franchise I've played (since 2003). I think this is a prep to the 2010 edition coming out around the end of this month. Enjoy!

I think it's a great move by them to sell it so cheap (or give it away apparently with the coupon). The 2009 version will be worthless to them in a month or so, and they get a lot of people to try the game who otherwise wouldn't have heard of it.

It's definitely a very different type of game than you may be used to. You basically sign free agents, draft players, trade for players, and develop talent. You can micromanage games, but I usually just let the simulation engine run through them. You'll play a whole season in a few hours. The fun of the game is seeing your draft picks blossom into stars and get elected to the Hall of Fame, or have one of your players shatter the all-time HR mark. For a real challenge, take a small market team like the Brewers or the Royals and see if you can compete against the Yankees and Red Sox.

In many ways it's like the Franchise mode of console sports games, except the stats and player/league development are generally much much better than in console games. The flip side is that you basically get no eye candy at all: you pretty much end up reading (hence "text" sim) what happens in a game.

Glad to see that some people have been able to download it!

cool, I've always wanted to try this (I've always been one of those people who uses the franchise modes in sports games to see how well I can build up a team rather than play it) but never wanted to drop the cash sight unseen

Thanks OP and coupon poster. As soon as I checked it out and saw it had real rosters I was sold. I've never played this before but i'm a baseball nerd and a stats whore in general so I just might enjoy this. Can't beat the price, downloading now. :D

Yep, it's still good, I just got in on this, looking forward to giving the 2009 version a shot. I was rocking it with 2008 for awhile, but I don't even know where I put the data for that!

Prophesize: I saw that thread of yours. I think the confusion was that it didn't note that the price only took effect once you put the item in your cart. People (like myself) went to the page, saw the price at $19.99 and didn't look further.

bread's done
Back