Basic XP Gaming System

well I have to keep this short since I am typing on iPod. 9800gt replaced 8800gt but they are more or less the same. I can't see the parts you picked out but as long as you go with intel CPU and a name brand p45 motherboard you are ok.

That case, PSU, cpu cooler, and mobo are all a bit overkill unless you are planning to buy 2 video cards and run them in SLI (in which case the PSU/mobo are reasonable choices). And here is a better video card for less money (that is also in stock).

the antec psu is not necessary since the case comes with one. Overall I would say the build is solid and future proof with option to sli in the future.

[quote name='DrFoo']That case, PSU, cpu cooler, and mobo are all a bit overkill unless you are planning to buy 2 video cards and run them in SLI (in which case the PSU/mobo are reasonable choices). And here is a better video card for less money (that is also in stock).[/quote]

My friend is going to put a second card in it somewhere down the line, just not right now. My main goal was to have a system ready for SLI.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']the antec psu is not necessary since the case comes with one. Overall I would say the build is solid and future proof with option to sli in the future.[/quote]

So would putting 2 9800gts in that build be too much for the included 550w psu, or just right?

[quote name='CaptainPlanet!']So would putting 2 9800gts in that build be too much for the included 550w psu, or just right?[/QUOTE]
It would be a little close but that PSU should be good enough. It partially depends on how much amps it has for its 12 volt rails.

Right now you can get 30% cash back on ebay through Live.com... up to $200. So up to $666, you get 30% back. I think buying something someone else built on eBay would be a better deal right now.

For example, I just did a quick search...

Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 2.66Ghz CPU
4GB RAM
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
nVidia 8800GT Gaming Card
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card
DVD-ROM Drive
Microsoft XP Professional License Sticker

$600 - ($180) 30% = $420

Compared to yours, which has the benefit of quality brand names and a quad-core CPU (which won't matter much in most games), but no OS, for over $1,000.

I built a pretty high-end rig a while back, about ~6 months ago, and really really regret it... I spent around $1,200 and it depreciated soooooo fast. I think something like the above $420 rig will do just fine for you... in 99% of games you won't notice a difference at all, only in quad-core optimized games will there even be a couple frames per second difference betwen this and the parts you listed. In many games the above system would outperform your $1,000+ system since many games will only use two cores anyway so it's often better to have two faster cores (2.66ghz) rather than four slower cores (2.4ghz). Tom's Hardware has a lot of great benchmarks with Core Duo vs Quad Core -- the main advantage for the quads comes in apps like Photoshop, Premiere, Maya, etc.

Here's a thread about the 30% back: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=6133&t=952519

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W is the PSU that the case comes with. It is SLI certified, but doesn't mean it runs every nVidia on SLI, though two 9800GT will be very close. The route you should take for now is just use the PSU that comes with the case, when your friend does decide to get another 9800GT to SLI, you will know whether or not the current PSU will be powerful enough to support them. The worst case scenario would be buying a new and better PSU when he does go SLI. But for now, save that money and use the in-case PSU.

Even though the 30% cashback is very good deal, I would advice against buying computer parts from eBay unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Warranty would be spotty since many manufacturers require some sort of invoice and eBay doesn't really generate a valid invoice for warranty services. There are some legitimate eBay sellers that will give an invoice though since they also run a real mom & pop computer shop, so proceed with cautions and choose your sellers carefully, ask them questions about whether or not they'll include a valid invoice for manufacturer's warranty.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W is the PSU that the case comes with. It is SLI certified, but doesn't mean it runs every nVidia on SLI, though two 9800GT will be very close. The route you should take for now is just use the PSU that comes with the case, when your friend does decide to get another 9800GT to SLI, you will know whether or not the current PSU will be powerful enough to support them. The worst case scenario would be buying a new and better PSU when he does go SLI. But for now, save that money and use the in-case PSU.

Even though the 30% cashback is very good deal, I would advice against buying computer parts from eBay unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Warranty would be spotty since many manufacturers require some sort of invoice and eBay doesn't really generate a valid invoice for warranty services. There are some legitimate eBay sellers that will give an invoice though since they also run a real mom & pop computer shop, so proceed with cautions and choose your sellers carefully, ask them questions about whether or not they'll include a valid invoice for manufacturer's warranty.[/quote]

I called up my friend earlier today and told him to do exactly that. Stick with the 550w while he only has 1 card in it, and only get the bigger psu if he needs it for SLI. I'm going to steer clear of ebay.

Thanks for the replies everybody, nice to know CAG still has a great PC community.

A couple of problems with this build;

a - either do SLI now or never. You're going to pay more by doing it in this setup anyways, because you need to focus on a SLI certified power supply, SLI MB, and it still won't be as good as a single card solution. The problem is that adding a second card does not give you 2x the performance, it's more like a 30% boost. 1 good video card > 2 sub par cards.

You're asking for alot of headache with no real return. And SLI is generally only done on higher end systems. $1000 is low-mid.

b - Get Vista 64 bit and don't look back. There's no reason for you to be running XP on this setup except masochism. You're only going to use 3GB of that 4GB of RAM, you are giving yourself no option to upgrade, and you're cutting off the use of Direct X 10.

c - unless you are in the audio producing industry, skip the audio card.

d - skip the 8800, 9800, those are old. You need a ATI HD 4850, or if budget allows, 4870. ATI is king right now.

I agree with everything BigPopov has said. How he said it may sound a little preachy but he is right. SLi isn't really worth it, unless you are made of money and are running a pair of GTX 280s. The money spent on a SLi motherboard, powersupply, and 2nd card would be put to better use saving it up and using it to buy a single new card in a couple years or getting a better card today. The performance / cost ratio isn't very good.

[quote name='BigPopov']A couple of problems with this build;

a - either do SLI now or never. You're going to pay more by doing it in this setup anyways, because you need to focus on a SLI certified power supply, SLI MB, and it still won't be as good as a single card solution. The problem is that adding a second card does not give you 2x the performance, it's more like a 30% boost. 1 good video card > 2 sub par cards.

You're asking for alot of headache with no real return. And SLI is generally only done on higher end systems. $1000 is low-mid.

b - Get Vista 64 bit and don't look back. There's no reason for you to be running XP on this setup except masochism. You're only going to use 3GB of that 4GB of RAM, you are giving yourself no option to upgrade, and you're cutting off the use of Direct X 10.

d - skip the 8800, 9800, those are old. You need a ATI HD 4850, or if budget allows, 4870. ATI is king right now.[/quote]

This is a fantastic post if I was asking general questions on how to build a PC. That is not the case. I know I want SLI, and I know the pros/cons. Also, how can you honestly recommend Vista 64 to anyone? Really? Vista 32 is unreliable enough, and Vista 64 is even less user friendly and backwards compatibility is rather nonexistent. Direct X 10 has been proven a waste of time. Direct X 11 is already in development, and DX10 is only used in a handful of games and you can only achieve playable framerates with a high end system. Also, what audio card are you referring to? And I understand you may like ATI, but not everyone does.

Interesting feedback if I was starting from scratch, but I've already selected a good build, and this thread was only inquiring about any obvious incompatibilities and the PSU strength.

I'm not sure if your friend bought the built yet, but he can get the MSI 9800GT for $100 after $15 rebate and after $15 instant saving (promo code: EMCBAAKCE); comes with free shipping and free Rainbow Six Vegas 2 game.

agreed with the ati cards. price/performance kings atm unless you're finding some good rebates.

problem is for "true" crossfire you'd need an x48 mobo.

and where do these ideas that vista is unreliable come from? I think its mainly people who either don't know what they are doing, or just assume that those reviews of it from its launch are still in effect. everyone i know that has taken the time to learn how to use vista do not switch back.
---
You want to trim prices? Get rid of that 54$ fan. The intel stock fans are fine even for some overclocking and the cpu you chose ain't oem.

Also be sure to check zipzoomfly on the stuff you plan to buy. They often have free shipping on some items that newegg does not, or bigger rebates etc. and vice-versa.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128344
Alternate Mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115132
Alternate Processor.

Vista=fail. worst os on the planet. im thinking he should go for an asus a7n8x deluze motherboard, 1 gb of ddr ram, an asus radeon 9800 all-in-wonder graphics card, and shoot, a single core processor would work just dandy. and I mean whats wrong with windows 2000 pro? best os ever. no problems at all.

[quote name='BigPopov']A couple of problems with this build;

d - skip the 8800, 9800, those are old. You need a ATI HD 4850, or if budget allows, 4870. ATI is king right now.[/quote]

[quote name='Igotsomepopsickles']Vista=fail. worst os on the planet. im thinking he should go for an asus a7n8x deluze motherboard, 1 gb of ddr ram, an asus radeon 9800 all-in-wonder graphics card, and shoot, a single core processor would work just dandy. and I mean whats wrong with windows 2000 pro? best os ever. no problems at all.[/QUOTE]

*demos new PC*
"So what games can it play"
*opens Baldur's Gate*
"What else can it do?"
*opens Baldur's Gate 2*

lol

Agree with crystal though. And I would be mad if I paid $1000 for last-gen hardware/OS.

I'm running Vista 64 on this computer and Vista 32 on my laptop and they both run smoother than XP. They take up more memory but you're planning on getting 4 gigs and there's no way anybody is going to use all that up. And as far as backwards compatibility, I have managed to get every single program that worked under XP to work under Vista 64 so far. The only program so far I think I have really had any problems with was System Shock 2 but that had problems running in XP and I still got it working eventually anyways.

[quote name='DrFoo']I'm running Vista 64 on this computer and Vista 32 on my laptop and they both run smoother than XP. They take up more memory but you're planning on getting 4 gigs and there's no way anybody is going to use all that up. And as far as backwards compatibility, I have managed to get every single program that worked under XP to work under Vista 64 so far. The only program so far I think I have really had any problems with was System Shock 2 but that had problems running in XP and I still got it working eventually anyways.[/QUOTE]
Well I should hope Vista always takes up more memory than XP, that's what it is built to do. What use is your memory if it isn't being used? Vista tries to use as much of your memory as it can.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Well I should hope Vista always takes up more memory than XP, that's what it is built to do. What use is your memory if it isn't being used? Vista tries to use as much of your memory as it can.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Vista caches a lot of your programs so they can launch quickly which uses up a good chunk of memory. The only problem is that if you only have 1 gb of memory it is pretty much impossible to run modern games. I've tried running Team Fortress 2 with only 1 gb and I could barely get it to load at all even at minimum settings.

[quote name='DrFoo']I'm running Vista 64 on this computer and Vista 32 on my laptop and they both run smoother than XP. They take up more memory but you're planning on getting 4 gigs and there's no way anybody is going to use all that up. And as far as backwards compatibility, I have managed to get every single program that worked under XP to work under Vista 64 so far. The only program so far I think I have really had any problems with was System Shock 2 but that had problems running in XP and I still got it working eventually anyways.[/quote]

I built my first computer this weekend with Vista 64. First you can't upgrade, instead if you want to upgrade you have essentially circumvent the EULA. The other issue I found was with the DVD-Writer I had a peice of Nero software adjusted my registry so that Vista wouldn't recognize my DVD drive any longer. I know this is a Nero Software issue, but it happend because the software wasn't compliant with Vista 64. I also had the bonus issue of an error message from the MB's software bundle that I again had to uninstal a file. I understand I should have researched a little more, but who wants to research every peice of bundled software to see if it is compliant with your OS. To me unless you are willing to invest the time to solve strange problems stick with XP or Vista 32-bit. I'm willing to invest the time, but many are not.

[quote name='DrFoo']Yeah I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Vista caches a lot of your programs so they can launch quickly which uses up a good chunk of memory. The only problem is that if you only have 1 gb of memory it is pretty much impossible to run modern games. I've tried running Team Fortress 2 with only 1 gb and I could barely get it to load at all even at minimum settings.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah Vista def isn't for systems with 1GB or less. I couldn't stand it on my AMD 3400, 1GB RAM Desktop. I think that's why there was quite a bit of resentment, people getting computers preloaded with Vista (+ a bunch of bullshit, of course) on machines with 512MB of RAM.

If you get 2GB though it's great. 4GB and you will never think about XP again.

[quote name='52club']I built my first computer this weekend with Vista 64. First you can't upgrade, instead if you want to upgrade you have essentially circumvent the EULA. The other issue I found was with the DVD-Writer I had a peice of Nero software adjusted my registry so that Vista wouldn't recognize my DVD drive any longer. I know this is a Nero Software issue, but it happend because the software wasn't compliant with Vista 64. I also had the bonus issue of an error message from the MB's software bundle that I again had to uninstal a file. I understand I should have researched a little more, but who wants to research every peice of bundled software to see if it is compliant with your OS. To me unless you are willing to invest the time to solve strange problems stick with XP or Vista 32-bit. I'm willing to invest the time, but many are not.[/QUOTE]
One of my favorite things about Vista is that it has drivers for most everything. The only drivers I needed to install myself were my video drivers. Vista already recognized my Ethernet port, my hard drives, my dvd drives, my on-board audio, and even my sound card I just recently added. I even got the most recent version of Nero to work without any problems. It sounds to me like you just got really unlucky with your bundled software.

I'm currently running on Vista Ultimate 64 bit, I have not run into any major problem yet. All the games work (my entire Steam game collection), all 32 bit applications work (including those freebie 32bit programs from download.com), and I have yet to experience one single system crash. Though I've had software crashes (not responding, crash on exit, etc), but I've also experienced them on Vista 32bit. Overall I'd say I probably won't go back to XP, but I also probably won't recommend people to get Vista 64 if they're currently using XP already (or is already very familiar with XP). Vista has too many small but annoying things such as admin elevation clearance, basic interface changes, relocation and renaming of control panel icons, and being a system hog.

bread's done
Back