Batman: Arkham City--10/18/11

[quote name='sublime90']what else gets you xp? i know finding the riddler trophies, popping the jokers balloons set up, breaking security cameras and breaking penguin statues does. anything else i should keep an eye out for?[/QUOTE]

Wow i didnt even know about the penguin statues.... i think i might have passed up a bunch? Also didnt know about the cameras, i remember seeing one but didnt break it. I was more worried of it spotting my presence. LOL I did get one set of balloons.

Riddler things are fun, i saw one where you had to line up the top part of the question mark with the dot underneath it, those were the ones in BAA that i hated LOL. I found a few riddler trap things that i couldnt figure out, assuming maybe i needed a special gadget i dont have or some kind of upgrade. I just save them for later if i cant figure them out within 5 minutes.

Im only 10% through the game, cant wait to play some more.

ok folks, i haven't had a chance to play this yet:

regular edition or ce? is the DLC in the CE worth the extra money?

( I have both in my possession)

2 things i thought were funny in the story so far...

Im up to cat womans 3rd story part, so if you didnt get that far then you probably dont want to read below.

1. Batman is a total dick when robin tries to help him out.

2. Batmans relationship with mr freeze. First they are helping each other, then freeze crushed the antidote, him and batman fight, then after the fight they are friends again helping each other out. LMAO.

I thought it was funny i was going around the city and heard an inmate say "I wonder whats on TV right now". LOL

Is any one else glitching on the critical strike? The tutorial message wont go away, and its making the game unenjoyable for me. I dont even want to play it until they fix the issue.

Its a big paragraph right in the middle of the screen that wont go away.

[quote name='confoosious']ok folks, i haven't had a chance to play this yet:

regular edition or ce? is the DLC in the CE worth the extra money?

( I have both in my possession)[/QUOTE]

I'm In the same situation, I do know I asked how many CE editions were left at my Gamestop before telling them I was there for mine and they said one on preorder ( It was mine ) .

[quote name='jbrun85']Is any one else glitching on the critical strike? The tutorial message wont go away, and its making the game unenjoyable for me. I dont even want to play it until they fix the issue.

Its a big paragraph right in the middle of the screen that wont go away.[/QUOTE]

I had that going for awhile. I think it'll last just for a bit, and then once you level or land enough crits it'll stop displaying it. I'm not sure what triggered it to go away, but I was glad it stuck around for a bit because it took me awhile to get the rhythm down.

I ended up restarting the game and making it my first upgrade. Glad to hear it went away for you. I just couldnt take it any longer, it was really dampening my enjoyment. I was only at 8%, no side missions completed either. A few hours and I'll be back to where I was.

I wasn't planning on buying this game until it hit $20 as I enjoyed AA. I've been playing the game for a couple of hours and it has honestly surprised me. I don't regret purchasing the game. The free roaming is so much fun and I have spent a few hours just swinging around even. The bosses are awesome and the story is amazing. Total GotY. The only other game I can see giving it a challenge is Skyrim honestly. At least off the top of my head.

I'll be honest, I was pretty frustrated in the beginning with this game. It wouldn't of been so bad to me if I played Arkham Asylum just prior, but since I played it a ways ago . . . well, I forgot how to use most of the "specials".

I didn't realize I had gadgets for a good portion of the time because I was fully expecting them to unlock. I guess reading the manual probably would've helped a bit, albeit I don't know for sure as I still haven't read it. :p

I'm now about 20% through, and loving it. The first couple hours though were fairly rough, as I didn't understand the controls very well.

Apparently ive beaten the game. 10-11 hours in, 35% complete. Kind of feel like... that was it? I read it would take 25 hours, unless they meant getting 100%. I still have a ton of side things to collect.

Also it would have been nice to be able to switch attires after you beat the game on the same save game. I beat it on easy, so i cant play Game+. So i cant even use the outfits.

I guess after i finished the game it said i could switch between batman and catwoman, but it flashed it so fast i didnt see how to do it. Any ideas?

I really dont remember ever going back to see Bane after destroying the 6 containers. Guess it wasnt that big of a deal.

I, too, beat the game in about 10 hours. I was going to complain about the end boss battle, but the ending cut scene more than made up for it.

[quote name='n00bie']10 hours? I guess you guys just want to hurry up and play your precious CoD eh?[/QUOTE]

That is quite possibly the most ignorant statement I have ever seen on any internet forum in existence.

I didnt even rush. Now i didnt search for side missions, and only did some of the riddler traps that i found. But i was in no way rushing through the game. I think im about to replay the game on a harder difficulty.

I played through it on normal, did a lot of the side missions, and found 75+ Riddler trophies. That statement is wrong on so many levels:

1. You have no idea how long it takes to beat this game. I know three people that have beaten it so far and all there of us have said about 10 hours.
2. Because I played through a game quickly, it means I like another game? Wrong.
3. Have you not seen my member title? Read it, then you'll understand why I've already beaten this.

How long was the first one?
How does this compare to the first one?

All the reviews say the game is amazing, just trying to get a CAG's take.

Wow this is SO STUPID. I beat the story on easy, now i can only continue where i left off, which is after the game ends. I cant replay the story on the same save file, New Game + doesnt unlock unless you beat the game on normal or hard. So if i want to replay the game i have to start a new save file. If i start a new save i have to unlock everything i already unlocked. WTF.

Unless i beat the game on normal on another save file, it will unlock new game plus on my first save file? I really have no idea. Unless im totally missing something where i can replay the story on my first save file. Does anyone know if you start a New Game + if you have to make a new save file? Maybe im blowing this out of proportion. Just wish i had everything there on my first save file. LOL

Also can you pick a different costume to use for catwoman in the new game +?

I wish you could switch costumes after you beat the game to go around in trying to do all the side missions and stuff.

[quote name='jbrun85']I ended up restarting the game and making it my first upgrade. Glad to hear it went away for you. I just couldnt take it any longer, it was really dampening my enjoyment. I was only at 8%, no side missions completed either. A few hours and I'll be back to where I was.[/QUOTE]

You're going to laugh, as I did just now.

Tired of seeing the paragraphs in front of your combat when you learn a new ability? Select the ability, and press the X button to disable the "tutorial". It will get rid of that silly popup. And if you wish to have it back, repeat the process to "enable tutorial".

*Facepalm* Can't believe we missed that one.

[quote name='Fearia']You're going to laugh, as I did just now.

Tired of seeing the paragraphs in front of your combat when you learn a new ability? Select the ability, and press the X button to disable the "tutorial". It will get rid of that silly popup. And if you wish to have it back, repeat the process to "enable tutorial".

*Facepalm* Can't believe we missed that one.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was aware of that process. I was excited at first, because I thought I had fixed it. Unfortunatly... nope. My problem extended beyond that. I was definitely experiencing a glitch. After a bit a of research on google, it seems other people were/are having the same issue.

Thanks for thinking to post it though.

[quote name='jbrun85']Actually, I was aware of that process. I was excited at first, because I thought I had fixed it. Unfortunatly... nope. My problem extended beyond that. I was definitely experiencing a glitch. After a bit a of research on google, it seems other people were/are having the same issue.

Thanks for thinking to post it though.[/QUOTE]

Damn. That sucks :(

I'm now 40% through the game, and I have to say . . . wow. I'm wondering how many man hours were put into this game, because it's purely insane how much content there is. It's reminding me of Grand Theft Auto with all this side quest stuff, except with better hidden things to find. I love it.

[quote name='Tsel']That is quite possibly the most ignorant statement I have ever seen on any internet forum in existence.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you don't get out much.

Wait, you beat Batman AC in 10 hours.... you actually don't get out much.

Huh.

[quote name='Tsel']I played through it on normal, did a lot of the side missions, and found 75+ Riddler trophies. That statement is wrong on so many levels:

1. You have no idea how long it takes to beat this game. I know three people that have beaten it so far and all there of us have said about 10 hours.
2. Because I played through a game quickly, it means I like another game? Wrong.
3. Have you not seen my member title? Read it, then you'll understand why I've already beaten this.[/QUOTE]

What because you're a huge Batman fan?

That should make you want to savor it. I'm 10 hours in and 9% done.

[quote name='Fearia']
I'm now 40% through the game, and I have to say . . . wow. I'm wondering how many man hours were put into this game, because it's purely insane how much content there is. It's reminding me of Grand Theft Auto with all this side quest stuff, except with better hidden things to find. I love it.[/QUOTE]

I was actually coming here to post something along the same lines.

The side quests have the same level of polish as the main story. In Mass Effect 1, it was very clear that many of the optional, "run around random planets and find stuff!" content was very quickly implemented to pad the game. Here I've found myself intrigued by each side story that I've encountered.

Oh and huge laughs towards the beginning when...
Batman ends his "fight" with Harley by just slinging her into a wall as a counter. Sometimes simplest is best.

[quote name='n00bie']What because you're a huge Batman fan?

That should make you want to savor it. I'm 10 hours in and 9% done.[/QUOTE]

Your logic fails on so many levels. Just because I'm a big fan of something doesn't mean I would always want to savor it. If you're eating a piece of candy that tastes really good, how bad is the temptation to just eat it? Pretty bad.

It's the same thing with this. Because I'm a huge fan of Batman, I didn't want to put the game down. You must play games differently than me because at 10 hours, I was nearly done with the main story. I did not rush at all. I did 5 or 6 side missions, 5 levels of AR Training, collected 77 Riddler Trophies, and even died and failed missions on several attempts.

Quit trying to further this argument because there's really no point. I beat the game in 10 hours, you didn't. That doesn't mean I have no life or that I'm a Call of Duty fanboy.

This is retarded.

First.... i beat the game on easy, which made my first save file unable to unlock new game plus. Also i couldnt use the alternate skins in my main storyline. I found out this was a BIG WASTE OF TIME.

Second... i spent all day beating the game on normal on a 2nd save file, now i can play new game plus, and use alternate attires in free roam....FOR BATMAN ONLY. I can choose the catwoman alt costumes when i play her chapters on their own, but i cant pick her attire when i start up free roam. Why in the hell cant i choose her attire in free roam, but i can choose batmans? This makes no sense.

EDIT:

Maybe i can do side missions and stuff during one of her campaign chapters. When i started one up it said something about side missions, still seems a bit odd id have to go through that way, and im not even sure that will work. Ill check it out tomorrow because i know i tagged some catwoman riddler trophies, maybe they will show up on the map when i pause the chapter.

I might be a bad player at this game, or maybe i just button mash too much, but even on normal i had a few points that were hard. Mainly the random battles with 5+ inmates. Bosses still were pretty easy, just the gang battles that i died and had to repeat a few times. It probably took me about 45-60 minutes to get passed
the Strange room near the end. Just trying to take out those 6 inmates with guns was hard as hell.
I dont think id be able to beat the game on New Game Plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tsel']Your logic fails on so many levels. Just because I'm a big fan of something doesn't mean I would always want to savor it. If you're eating a piece of candy that tastes really good, how bad is the temptation to just eat it? Pretty bad.

It's the same thing with this. Because I'm a huge fan of Batman, I didn't want to put the game down. You must play games differently than me because at 10 hours, I was nearly done with the main story. I did not rush at all. I did 5 or 6 side missions, 5 levels of AR Training, collected 77 Riddler Trophies, and even died and failed missions on several attempts.

Quit trying to further this argument because there's really no point. I beat the game in 10 hours, you didn't. That doesn't mean I have no life or that I'm a Call of Duty fanboy.[/QUOTE]

Lol. Yeah okay. I like your comparison. That piece of candy is tasty, so you shove it in your mouth and swallow. Boom. Done.

[quote name='Tsel']Your logic fails on so many levels. Just because I'm a big fan of something doesn't mean I would always want to savor it. If you're eating a piece of candy that tastes really good, how bad is the temptation to just eat it? Pretty bad.

Quit trying to further this argument because there's really no point. I beat the game in 10 hours, you didn't. That doesn't mean I have no life or that I'm a Call of Duty fanboy.[/QUOTE]

While I don't know if you are a Call of Duty fanboy, you clearly have no life. :lol:

If you're basing that on how much I play video games, that argument would be invalid considering you have a higher gamerscore than I do.

I go to school full time, work 40+ hours a week, have a girlfriend, and friends. I'd hardly consider that no life.

[quote name='n00bie']Lol. Yeah okay. I like your comparison. That piece of candy is tasty, so you shove it in your mouth and swallow. Boom. Done.[/QUOTE]

10 hours is hardly shoving it in your mouth and being done with it. That's not an asinine amount of time to beat a game in. You also fail to see the point that I'm not the only one that beat it in this amount of time. Rocksteady clearly over exaggerated the time it takes to beat it when they said 25. This is not a 25 hour story. It's 15-18 at the very most.

While I think it's crazy he went through it that fast, I'm going to come to his defense here.

Who are you guys to judge him on how fast he went through the game? Has this personally affected you and how you have played the game? I'm guessing no. Sounds to me that if anything you might actually be jealous, So he beat the game before you, who gives a flying fuck? Instead of worrying about him, why don't you head back to your game and play through it now mkay?

I think it is when he went to the 'that is the most ignorant statement I have ever read' line that left him open. Someone says you hurried through to play another game and that is seriously the most ignorant thing you have ever seen on the internet? Wow. You can debunk the statement without going to such an extreme yourself.

Anyhow, for me, I am done with the game. I wasn't nearly as impressed with it as the reviewers were and I don't think it had quite the same impact for me that Asylum did. I got about 10-15% into the game and my save file is completely gone. I guess Rocksteady did me a favor so I wouldn't be tempted to continue to play it.

I just finished it yesterday. Pretty sweet, but it's one I'll have to come back to later to truly finish. Battlefield 3 is coming out in a few days, and I still have a backlog. I'm fairly screwed when it comes to fully completing this game I think :p

I can't believe you guys are going back and forth. The guy is obviously trolling. Who the f cares how fast you finished your own game...

[quote name='ShadowSx']Was anyone else missing the catwoman dlc code from a new copy of the game? Kind of bummed I didn't get one.[/QUOTE]

Its a known issue and there is a way to get one if you didnt. Even though it seems to me like they make you jump through hoops to get one. Hope you kept your receipt. Here is the link that tells you how... EDIT: ah i didnt see you didnt get one at all. Guess you are fucked.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/19/warner-solving-arkham-city-dlc-issue-with-a-simple-5-step-proces/

Originally i thought i beat the game in 10-11 hours, but looking back at my raptr, looks like it took me 20 hours. Didnt seem that long to be honest. Im only 53% done with the game so far, and ive already put a ton of time into it.

Im with Yanksfan, this game is really nice but it doesnt blow me away, and i sometimes think AA was better (except for all those tunnels you had to crawl through). I was looking around the city and looking at the nice artwork, thinking about how some of the text on the buildings looked like Bioshock, and it got me thinking about how bioshock felt so awesome to be inside that world. I didnt get that feeling about being inside Arkham City. The story is okay, but i think i enjoyed gears of war 3 more. I wouldnt give this game a perfect rating, there are things that are annoying, and stupid decisions about the game like not being able to choose an alternate catwoman attire in free roam once you beat the game, but you can choose batmans. :/ But its good enough that i am considering keeping it. Then again once i get all the side stuff completed, i probably wouldnt play it again.

[quote name='Tsel']
I go to school full time, work 40+ hours a week, have a girlfriend, and friends. I'd hardly consider that no life.[/QUOTE]

I'd consider you 'Gamer of the Year!'

edit: I've always wondered how Bruce Wayne was capable of fighting crime, be a billionaire entrepreneur, courting multiple hot super models, and maintain his humanity. Now I know it's entirely possible.

Lol.

For the record, the most ignorant statement may have been a little exaggerated, but still, somehow getting to the conclusion that I'm a CoD fanboy just because I beat Batman fast is ridiculous.

so i beat the game yesterday and i freakin loved it. what an ending. i started new game plus today and did like 1 mission. i did a bunch of predator missions (those are fun) and a few combat missions (not fun, i suck ass at linking long combos) and i half just about half the riddler trophies. i can already tell the riddler stuff will take me hours and hours to finally get em all.

This game can be really annoying. Im trying to clear out the courtroom so i can scan some riddle images to questions. There are 16 unarmed guys in there. They totally kick my ass. Whats annoying is each guy takes like 40 hits to finally die, and i have to hit the counter button every 2 hits. Counter moves dont do shit. Oh and i love when i see lightening above their heads, telling me to hit the counter button, so i mash it and i still get hit. My hands have never gotten so tired before until this game from button mashing. Im only playing on normal too.

F it, i was able to get the clues without them noticing me. Still there was a guy i could interrogate for info in there, oh well.

bread's done
Back