Batman: Arkham City--10/18/11

[quote name='Javery']So I just
entered the Steel Mill looking for the Joker. Is this the last mission to the main storyline? I didn't think I was close to finishing but now it is starting to feel that way. Maybe not though since I still don't have access to the middle part of the map (above ground at least).

[/QUOTE]
yeah

[quote name='Javery']So I just
entered the Steel Mill looking for the Joker. Is this the last mission to the main storyline? I didn't think I was close to finishing but now it is starting to feel that way. Maybe not though since I still don't have access to the middle part of the map (above ground at least).

[/QUOTE]

I'd say you're closer to the end than the beginning. You do still need to go into the center restricted area. Even after that, you're not done.

Do you ever get a way to shoot explosive gel somewhere that you can't walk to? I finished the game and didn't get it, though I kind of remember being able to do it in the first game.

[quote name='pete5883']Do you ever get a way to shoot explosive gel somewhere that you can't walk to? I finished the game and didn't get it, though I kind of remember being able to do it in the first game.[/QUOTE]

There's no place you would need to shoot the gel to. I thought this for a bit but after a bit of searching on the internet, every wall you may see that is breakable but not reachable with the gel, there is another way to get to it, be it the zip line or bat claw.

OK, I think I'm past the point of no return (which actually started a while ago).
I defeated Hugo Strange at the top of the Arkham City Tower and now I'm trying to save Talia from the Joker
. The game says I'm 85% done with the main story line and I just know that once I
find Talia and face the Joker that will be it
. My question is what happens with all of the stuff I haven't done (side missions, Riddler trophies, etc.)? Had I known that
going into the Steel Mill
(when I was only around 65% finished) would trigger a series of events that would make it so I couldn't explore the city any more I might not have gone inside. Anyway, can I still explore the city and level up, etc. AFTER I finish the main story?

This game is awesome either way. It feels like I'm playing through a movie or something and the third Catwoman episode fit PERFECTLY with the main game and was a ton of fun. This is definitely my GotY so far.

You can still explore, do all the side missions, find all the collectibles, etc... after the main story is complete.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Has anyone found yet if the developers put in an easter egg like they did in AA, hinting towards AC?[/QUOTE]

Closest I've seen, so far...
In AC, there's a certain boat you can land on. While there's no prompt for it, if you use your sequencer, it starts up the standard decryption game. Finding the password "CITYOFTERROR" opens the boat up. Inside you find an insane inmate strapped to a chair, an invoice to "J Crane" for various things, and a ton of bugs. given that Scarecrow never appears in Arkham City, it's quite suspicious.

Just finished the game. To be honest, I liked Asylum more. I'm a fan of tight storylines and the narrative of Asylum was better paced and just more fluid. Not that City was a bad game, quite the contrary. Just not as good as Asylum, methinks.

But, that little song at the end? Fantastic. Actually touching.

So how many gadgets are there? It looks like I'm missing one that should appear in the upper left diagonal. There are also a bunch of irregular "holes" in my upgrade menu. I still have almost 200(!) Riddler trophies to collect... it is starting to be a chore but I'm still having a lot of fun because there are some open side missions left and I like kicking ass.

[quote name='Javery']So how many gadgets are there? It looks like I'm missing one that should appear in the upper left diagonal. [/QUOTE]

Probably the freeze cluster gadget. It is in the steel mill. I missed it on both my normal and new game plus play through.

[quote name='Hoffer']Probably the freeze cluster gadget. It is in the steel mill. I missed it on both my normal and new game plus play through.[/QUOTE]

I found it the other night when I was hunting for Riddler trophies. I still have 105 of them to find which I might save for my new game + playthrough. One thing that I cannot figure out is how to stop the serial killer. I go to the location marked "4" on the map and there is a dude there that I can talk to but the next clue or path never opens up. What am I missing????

Also, if I go to new game plus without finishing everything in the normal playthrough can I still go back eventually so I can get 100%?

Normal and New Game Plus are completely seperate saves.

For serial killer...
There are 3 dead bodies that you have to find and investigate. Once that is done, you should get the location of the serial killer. It is near Catwoman's apartment. You go into the home and listen to an answering machine or something to trigger a cut scene and then that side quest is done.

[quote name='Hoffer']Normal and New Game Plus are completely seperate saves.

For serial killer...
There are 3 dead bodies that you have to find and investigate. Once that is done, you should get the location of the serial killer. It is near Catwoman's apartment. You go into the home and listen to an answering machine or something to trigger a cut scene and then that side quest is done.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I must be missing something.
If you look at this map:

idenythiefmap.jpg

I can get to the spot marked by the yellow "2" (which is #4 on the actual in-game map) but nothing is happening to trigger the other locations showing on my map. Am I just supposed to find the other locations randomly? Also, this is the "Hush" sidequest not the Deadshot one in case I'm not being clear (they are similar).

[quote name='Javery']Thanks. I must be missing something.
If you look at this map:

idenythiefmap.jpg

I can get to the spot marked by the yellow "2" (which is #4 on the actual in-game map) but nothing is happening to trigger the other locations showing on my map. Am I just supposed to find the other locations randomly? Also, this is the "Hush" sidequest not the Deadshot one in case I'm not being clear (they are similar).
[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're talking about the identity theif serial killer? You find dead bodies with bandages around their faces.

You just need to randomly find the dead bodies. They do not show up on your map. I used a guide from a site like xbox360achievements.org.

OK - got it. I was under the impression that the game would kind of lead you to the locations like when you were tracking Deadshot and Oracle would give you a location to search for victims. This is probably the same reason why I don't know where to go next to meet up with the Watcher - I last saw him on top of the Ferris Wheel over by the Steel Mill but that's it for him too.

OK, I did those last side missions. I didn't want to use a guide but honestly there was a very slim chance of me stumbling upon those locations on my own with zero guidance.

I have 75 more Riddler trophies to collect. I'm getting there. I know that NG+ is a separate save and to get 100% Perfect Knight or whatever it's called you have to do all the side missions and main story line on BOTH normal and NG+. However, the Riddler trophies are shared between the save files.... so does this mean as soon as I start NG+ I'll be 75% done with the Riddler Conundrum side mission? I'm just trying to figure out how this all works so I don't screw it up...

[quote name='Javery']OK, I did those last side missions. I didn't want to use a guide but honestly there was a very slim chance of me stumbling upon those locations on my own with zero guidance.

I have 75 more Riddler trophies to collect. I'm getting there. I know that NG+ is a separate save and to get 100% Perfect Knight or whatever it's called you have to do all the side missions and main story line on BOTH normal and NG+. However, the Riddler trophies are shared between the save files.... so does this mean as soon as I start NG+ I'll be 75% done with the Riddler Conundrum side mission? I'm just trying to figure out how this all works so I don't screw it up...[/QUOTE]

You'll only have to get the Riddle trophies once, regardless if you're on NG+ or not. Once you get 400 Riddler trophies, you'll have the last Riddle hostage available, but you'll have to rescue all of them on each playthrough.

I couldn't convince myself to buy the Nightwing and Robin DLC because they're mostly just the character with two new challenge maps. I'll get them down the road if there's a sale or the Rewards program has a deal with buying DLC. So instead of that, I replayed the AA GotY that I got free from Walmart. I really really miss the fighting mechanics of AC but I think I slightly enjoyed the story in AA more because you weren't distracted by all the side missions. That being said, now I just have to 1000 AA GotY on the PC for the collection (I'll doubt I'll ever play AA on a Japanese 360).

Just a reminder to anyone trying to get the Story Teller achievement the honest way ;) , don't forget to go talk to Calendar Man today. Happy Thanksgiving!

[quote name='Danimal']Just a reminder to anyone trying to get the Story Teller achievement the honest way ;) , don't forget to go talk to Calendar Man today. Happy Thanksgiving![/QUOTE]

Thanks - I need to go see him right now!

I got the Calendar Man achievement the dishonest way. I'm not near my Xbox 360 at least 3-4 of the days. So, I can either not get the cheevo or break some laws. :)

I picked up the PC version of the game last week. I need to do some time manipulation there as well. :D

yeah... I'll probably have to cheat for Christmas - I am thinking about bringing my console to my in-laws this year though so maybe there's a chance...

Does anyone know if Rocksteady has said anything about future DLC taking place within Arkham City? I'd love some extra story missions with other characters like Robin or Nightwing or even Batgirl. They could maybe open up a new section of the map and add some character-specific trophies. I'd pay $10 for some Robin DLC with new side missions and another 40 Robin trophies... I am not interested in challenge maps.

They announced new DLC coming December 20th, but it's just more challenge rooms.

I would also like some new missions for DLC. I seem to remember Rocksteady being asked about this and they gave a vague answer. The type of answer you could take either way.

[quote name='Hoffer']They announced new DLC coming December 20th, but it's just more challenge rooms.

I would also like some new missions for DLC. I seem to remember Rocksteady being asked about this and they gave a vague answer. The type of answer you could take either way.[/QUOTE]

I think Kevin Conroy (voice of Batman, for those that don't know) kinda slipped up and alluded to future mission DLC, but it's not confirmed.

I would tend to think we'll get some, since Rocksteady seems much more focused on getting DLC out this time around compared to AA. I'm banking on substantial DLC and an eventual GOTY release, since I traded my copy in to Amazon last week for $36. It was difficult to let Arkham City go.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']maybe your game doesnt like canadians[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the help troll. I'll just go ahead and add you to my Ignore List :)

[quote name='dotCody']Black screen every time I try to play the game. What the fuck?[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me. Are you in the new dashboard beta? I am. I fixed it by turning off the 360 and trying again.

Opening the disc tray, and then closing it and having the 360 auto play the game was the most effective workaround.

So I just watched the scene in The Dark Knight where Batman goes to extradite that dude in Hong Kong - the entire thing was right out of Arkham City. It's really cool to see after playing the game. Rocksteady nailed it.

[quote name='bhk']Same thing happened to me. Are you in the new dashboard beta? I am. I fixed it by turning off the 360 and trying again.

Opening the disc tray, and then closing it and having the 360 auto play the game was the most effective workaround.[/QUOTE]

I am in the Beta. I think I found a better workaround, though. Sign out of Live before starting the game, let the game load and when it loads a game save it'll sign you back into Live. I haven't had an eternal black screen since while using this workaround.

[quote name='dotCody']Black screen every time I try to play the game. What the fuck?[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. My system stops responding completely when that happens and I have to power it down manually. Does that happen for you too?

For the record, it doesn't happen every time. I seems like when I get it going, I can come in and out of the game fine. I took the disc out for a DVD, just tried to switch back and I've had to power it off twice so far. I was wondering if it was my console being defective.

Also, I was NOT in the beta preview, and I'm using the Gears 360. Not using disc auto play.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Glad to hear I'm not the only one. My system stops responding completely when that happens and I have to power it down manually. Does that happen for you too?

For the record, it doesn't happen every time. I seems like when I get it going, I can come in and out of the game fine. I took the disc out for a DVD, just tried to switch back and I've had to power it off twice so far. I was wondering if it was my console being defective.

Also, I was NOT in the beta preview, and I'm using the Gears 360. Not using disc auto play.[/QUOTE]

When i had batman it would also freeze on me from time to time, also using the gears 3 console. lately my gears 3 game has been freezing on me sometimes when i join a new mp game.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Glad to hear I'm not the only one. My system stops responding completely when that happens and I have to power it down manually. Does that happen for you too?

Also, I was NOT in the beta preview, and I'm using the Gears 360. Not using disc auto play.[/QUOTE]

You know what's weird. I may not have this problem with Batman, but I have this exact same problem with Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. And I was in the preview audience though :/ I wonder if its related.

Fyi:

[quote name='henhowc']hopefully this is an appropriate thread to post this in...

Watch out for the free batman:ac in-game skin

http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/news/latest/item/218-a-thank-you-from-batman-arkham-city#[/quote]

a thank you from batman: Arkham city!
December 20, 2011
bmin.jpg

hi all,

we have had an amazing release of batman: Arkham city and we wanted to thank you all for your incredible support before, during and after the game's release.

As a token to our appreciation, we'll be offering a brand new, totally super sweet, batman inc. Batsuit skin absolutely free!

You will be able to download the skin tomorrow from xbox live marketplace, playstation network and games for windows marketplace. We'll be sure to let everyone know exactly when the skin are available.

We also know you want to deliver justice on the streets of gotham as batman in your favorite skin, any time and all the time. So using the below cheat, you can select any alternative batman skin and play them in the main game, without having to complete the full game.

To unlock this, simply press the following combination on the main menu screen (after you have selected your save slot):

- left, left, down, down, left, left, right, up, up, down.

You will get an audio confirmation and when you continue your game, you will get the option to select your favorite skin.

Thank you again for your amazing support and have a great holiday!

Sefton hill - game director - rocksteady studios

[quote name='KingBroly']It'd be helpful to have that code revealed you know, before the game released.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, I think it's fun that a game actually kept a secret for once.

[quote name='Javery']WTF? I just downloaded a title update for this game and now all of my saves are gone??? WHAT THE fuck.[/QUOTE]

Are they going to fix this bug? My game save data is clearly still on my 360 so it is the game that is just not recognizing it is there. I really want to go back and play NG+ (especially with this new skin) but I don't want to have to beat the regular game again and find all of the Riddler trophies, etc.

Very sweet Holiday Gift from Rocksteady and Gang. This add-on is sweet cause 1) it's free, and 2) it's awesome.

Something for those whom completed the game, and doubly-awesome for those whom haven't.

The unlock shouldn't be seen as a 'cheat,' but rather 'early access.' It's about time these lockout are given the option to be bypassed.

Very refreshing gesture coming from the producer side. Now...if only Capcom would release a similar 'early access' code for Lost Planet 2...

I downloaded the skin, but it's not showing up anywhere for me. Not when I select the challenge maps OR when I load a saved game. Anybody else having this problem, or know what I'm doing wrong?

If you haven't beaten the game yet, you have to enter this code before you get the option to choose:

To unlock this, simply press the following combination on the main menu screen (after you have selected your save slot):

- left, left, down, down, left, left, right, up, up, down.

Had you done that already?

how are you guys getting the riddler trophies where the pads are on the side of a wall? I'm fully upgraded and dont see any way to walk on the side of a wall. Is that connected to the AR training at all?

[quote name='GamerDude316']how are you guys getting the riddler trophies where the pads are on the side of a wall? I'm fully upgraded and dont see any way to walk on the side of a wall. Is that connected to the AR training at all?[/QUOTE]

You have to fly/glide onto it, batman will hit the wall, press the button, then you will be able to jump back off the wall really quick and keep flying. If you hit anything other than these pads it will reset. Kind of tricky but you get the hang of it after a while. It helps to grapple boost sometimes i keep yourself flying.

bread's done
Back