Batman Begins DE shortage

gsr

CAGiversary!
Okay, something's up with this release. Folks are discussing over at hometheaterforum and on ign's dvd boards(need to be an insider, so i can't read it, but i see the topics).

DDD, walmart.com, bestbuy.com have all pulled their listings for the deluxe edition.

Amazon jacked their price up by $5 and circuitcity only ships, no in-store option.

I picked up the last copy at a local walmart for a full $25.

Fry's said they received 3 copies at each of their stores.

Now, I'm hearing that production on the DE's has stopped and this is it. Whatever's out there is all the stock there is.

No idea what's going on, but it's advisable to pick one up now, even if that means MSRP...It's only a matter of time before Fleabay has them listed as *rare* or *hard to find*.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']The movie sucked anyways[/QUOTE]

Failed at life. Do not pass go, do not collect 200$

[quote name='tayaf69']I just saved the target ad to my MS Word and edited the price to match their original 15.98 price. BB matched this for me today although they didn't want to.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's enough bashing of you in this thread, fucking thief.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I don't think there's enough bashing of you in this thread, fucking thief.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. That's just cheating. We're CAGs, not thieves.

[quote name='Megamibeast']Was best buy the only one that carry the special edition cover?[/QUOTE]

We had an exclusive holgraphic cover that was attached to the normal (deluxe edition) cover.

[quote name='Bankotsu']Texas Chainsaw Massacre.[/QUOTE]

TCM had two different releases. A delux with a metal sleeve embossed cover and a fold out chainsaw digipak with crime scene photos. The standard version was bare.

I can't imagine that there will be no more after the initial run. That would be very stupid IMHO. I am waiting for the DDD 20% off sale to pick up mine.

I ordered this via Amazon at the $15.98 price.

This Warner thing about pricing the special editions and the regular editions the same price, but the retails stores only deep discount the SE, sucks.

I'm not paying the high price for the SE nor buying the barebones disc. The Amazon $16 deal was good enough to pull the trigger on, but I'm holding out and not buying either in some cases.

We just got another box of them in last night at Best Buy. They don't have the exclusive holographic cover anymore though, so that is a done deal.

They don't have the exclusive holographic cover anymore though, so that is a done deal.

For the record, Best Buy never carried a holographic cover; they used a lenticular image on the slipcover for the DE.

My BB got restocks of the DE this morning without the lenticular image on it.

Best Buy should still have some although i dont think they will be on sale for $22 anymore. you also get a free mini-comic enclosed in a lenticular animated collector's box which is exclusive to Best Buy...i think.

If I remember correctly the BB exclusive cover was going to availble for the 1st shipment only..(I'm sure that's what it said in the ad)

[quote name='jetfire76']Best Buy should still have some although i dont think they will be on sale for $22 anymore. you also get a free mini-comic enclosed in a lenticular animated collector's box which is exclusive to Best Buy...i think.[/QUOTE]

The comic comes with every LE no matter what store you got it from.

[quote name='GreenMonkey']I ordered this via Amazon at the $15.98 price.

This Warner thing about pricing the special editions and the regular editions the same price, but the retails stores only deep discount the SE, sucks.

I'm not paying the high price for the SE nor buying the barebones disc. The Amazon $16 deal was good enough to pull the trigger on, but I'm holding out and not buying either in some cases.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've held out on getting the Constantine 2-disc edition just for this reason - it was never on sale below 24.99. I'll wait for the DDD sale or pick one up on ebay before i pay that much for a single-movie DVD.

I read this thread yesterday morning before work. After work, I had to swing by Wal-Mart so I figured I would look to see if they had any of the DE versions left. Nope, not a single one. They still had the spot for them on the shelf, but it was completely empty. They had numerous FullScreen and WideScreen versions though.

I'm glad I bought mine on the first day.

My walmart only got three or four of the special editions in on release day anyway, so i just dont think walmart stocked that many of them - had nothing to do with shortage. They're consumer profile is just not the Special Edition DVD purchaser.

[quote name='sman113']Agreed. I've held out on getting the Constantine 2-disc edition just for this reason - it was never on sale below 24.99. I'll wait for the DDD sale or pick one up on ebay before i pay that much for a single-movie DVD.[/QUOTE]

it was $22.99 at Hollywood Video, and because I work there, i got 20% off bringing the total, w/ tax, to just under 20 bucks. i loved it!!

[quote name='valor19']No. Maybe I'm just partial to Keaton though.[/QUOTE]

I don't know the name of the stuntman they had in the suit for the fight scenes in the first Keaton film, but that guy could kick some tail. Batman Begins just gave us a load of quick-edit jump cuts from one flash of action to the next, so I never really saw Batman (the guy in the suit anyway) do much of anything. :cry:

Oh wow, btw guys, I think I just figured out why they are stopping the selling of the DE for now. I just checked on DDD and the have Batman Begins DE avaiable for pre-order for release date of 11/08. I'm thinking that WB wants to be able to sell more of the single disc copies before releasing more copies of the DE for sale.

I was going to buy the Delux Edition, but decided to be cheap and buy the regular Wide-Screen.

After watching it, I regret that decision.

BUT I can more easily justify buying the soundtrack. :)

[quote name='ARagerCool']it was $22.99 at Hollywood Video, and because I work there, i got 20% off bringing the total, w/ tax, to just under 20 bucks. i loved it!![/QUOTE]

I am sorry to hear you work at Hollywood video, I worked there a couple summers ago for about a month, the pay was minimum wage, worst experience ever, especially working 5pm - 2 am shifts...

I thought there was some issues with the bonus comic that was included with the DVD. Some licensing issue.

I have the 2-disc from Amazon. I was going to see if Best Buy had any today (w/Lenticular cover) and they had NONE at all...no 2-disc.

here is the reason...

"If you've been to a store or checked online recently, you've probably noticed that Batman Begins: Deluxe Edition is getting harder and harder to find. Well, there's a reason for that. According to a couple sources, the collectible 72-page comic book that came packaged with the two-disc set was a limited item. However, another source claims that there was a rights issue with the comic and that it was pulled after the initial batch of discs went to retail. I don't know how much credence there is to that last one, since DC Comics and Warner Bros reside under the same corporate umbrella. In either case, it looks like the two-disc set is being reissued by Warner Home Video sans comic book. Batman Begins: Special Edition - as it's now listed on WHV's site with a new UPC (012569766778) and a slightly lower SRP ($29.95) - is being shipped out and should be in stores soon."
-Davis DVD

Loved this movie. Way better than Sin City. I loved the Burton Films as a kid and still do. I think though that Begins had a better story. Can't wait for the sequel and see what they do with the Joker and who'll play him.

Looks like in other words that Warner is trying to find a reason to drive up demand for the deluxe edition for "Batman Begins" by pulling a PR stunt involving the comic book having "rights issues." In either case I am glad I got my copy via circuitcity.com for $17ish after shipping and tax thanks to the website screw up. Well worth it. :)

The Hollywood video by my house has officially sold out of all of their Batman Begins DE and even the regular single disc version. Gonna probably just get it from Costco since they have tons and tons of em.

Wow, but really what is up with this DVD/movie. Is it that popular...

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']I don't know the name of the stuntman they had in the suit for the fight scenes in the first Keaton film, but that guy could kick some tail. Batman Begins just gave us a load of quick-edit jump cuts from one flash of action to the next, so I never really saw Batman (the guy in the suit anyway) do much of anything. :cry:[/QUOTE]

According to the Special Features on the BB:DE, that was Christian Bale in almost all the fighting scenes. And the quick cuts and not showing Batman during those scenes was deliberate by the directer to make Batman 'scarier' or just more mysterious. Again, this is just another way this movie is distinguished from the previous incarnations that had Batman front and center all the time.

[quote name='WebScud']"Rights issue" is a load of crap. As the quote says, Warner and DC are sleeping together.[/QUOTE]

Its a cheap ass publicity stunt. Nothing more, nothing less.

[quote name='WebScud']"Rights issue" is a load of crap. As the quote says, Warner and DC are sleeping together.[/QUOTE]

Sleeping together? Warner Brothers flat out owns DC comics.

[quote name='b3b0p']The difference between the DE and the regular is what?

I'll wait for the Blu-ray version.[/QUOTE]

Special features, the regular version has almost none and the DE has a LOT.

[quote name='b3b0p']The difference between the DE and the regular is what?

I'll wait for the Blu-ray version.[/QUOTE]

You're going to be waiting a long freakin' time. The format wars are still going on and it'll be six months to a year after the victor claims its throne before you see any real consumer penatration.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Sleeping together? Warner Brothers flat out owns DC comics.[/QUOTE]

I know. But I like the way "sleeping together" sounds. Not a phrase I get to use often when talking about companies.

[quote name='WebScud']You're going to be waiting a long freakin' time. The format wars are still going on and it'll be six months to a year after the victor claims its throne before you see any real consumer penatration.

I know. But I like the way "sleeping together" sounds. Not a phrase I get to use often when talking about companies.[/QUOTE]

That's fine.

Playstation 3 is proclaiming Blu-ray, so it can't be too much longer if it comes out sometime next year.

I can wait.

I was in Circuit City this afternoon, and they had the DE today, without the slipcase and comic. Whether it was bs or not about rights, looks like the comic isn't being included anymore.

So are the versions with the comic book anything special? I picked up the DE at Costco last night and it came with the comic book. Also, there was a huge stack of them left.

bread's done
Back