Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker BD $13.99 Amazon.com

[quote name='monsoon man']I believe this will be 4x3 letterboxed...[/QUOTE]

Isn't that its original ratio?

Edit: and there is no such thing as 4x3 letterboxed. Letterboxed specifically refers to a wide format on a square screen because, you know, it looks like a letter (envelope, whatever)... The other way around has a term, but it's not coming to me at the moment.

Edit 2: Pillar boxed

[quote name='mietha']Isn't that its original ratio?

Edit: and there is no such thing as 4x3 letterboxed. Letterboxed specifically refers to a wide format on a square screen because, you know, it looks like a letter (envelope, whatever)... The other way around has a term, but it's not coming to me at the moment.

Edit 2: Pillar boxed[/QUOTE]

My bad just copied and pasted from another website. I'm not sure what the original ratio was...some confusion whether it was strictly going to be DTV or possibly have a theatrical run.

Just wanted to let people know this might be another Justice League Season 1 on Blu that's all.

[quote name='mietha']Isn't that its original ratio?[/QUOTE]

It is. They cropped it down to 16:9 for TV.

14kcqhj.jpg
118zouu.jpg

There's a lot of confusion over the aspect ratio, plus I think WB has posted inaccurate specs on packaging before. That said I do believe the movie was animated in 4:3, but "protected" for widescreen viewing. They anticipated it being cropped on the top and bottom so they didn't draw anything important there.

Thus 4:3 would be the "original aspect ratio" in a technical sense, although it could be argued that it was intended for widescreen viewing.

Actually bigger than the ratio would be if we were getting both the uncut and edited version or only one. I believe it's uncut but don't think that's been confirmed.

The backcover for my DVD Uncut edition has runtime 77 mins and the Blu-Ray runtime reads as 76. Don't remember the runtime for the edited version but it's probably just a typo.

For extras the "Batman Beyond: The Legend Lives" looks like a brand new extra. Possibly talking about the TV show and new comic?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='monsoon man']My bad just copied and pasted from another website. I'm not sure what the original ratio was...some confusion whether it was strictly going to be DTV or possibly have a theatrical run.

Just wanted to let people know this might be another Justice League Season 1 on Blu that's all.[/QUOTE]What do you mean by "this might be another JLS 1"?

[quote name='shrike4242']What do you mean by "this might be another JLS 1"?[/QUOTE]
I vaguely remember this. Justice league S1 was aired by cartoon network in 4:3, but the producers of the series drew it with the intention for it to aired wide screen. When the DVD was originally released in 2006, it was in fullscreen aspect ratio which would be somewhat understandable for that stage in life cycle of DVDs. When the blu-ray was released, WB had the chance to correct that wrong and finally release the widescreen cuts of the episodes, but they released them in 4:3 again.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hmm...4x3 :whistle2:( I think I might cancel.

EDIT: I'll leave it until reviews hit.[/QUOTE]

Again

[quote name='Sporadic']It is. They cropped it down to 16:9 for TV.

14kcqhj.jpg
118zouu.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This is off topic but are there ANY plans to release or re-release JL or JLU on Blu Ray.
I know when Justice League season 1 came out on Blu Ray it seemed premature considering the install base at the time and the fact HDDVD was on the market as well.
My season 1 is looking really lonely :cry: and Warner Bros.'s DCAU releases on Blu Ray seem to be reallly successful. What's the deal??

[quote name='Frogurt.man']This is off topic but are there ANY plans to release or re-release JL or JLU on Blu Ray.
I know when Justice League season 1 came out on Blu Ray it seemed premature considering the install base at the time and the fact HDDVD was on the market as well.
My season 1 is looking really lonely :cry: and Warner Bros.'s DCAU releases on Blu Ray seem to be reallly successful. What's the deal??[/QUOTE]

No news but I imagine if BB RotJ sells well they'll release some more DCU classics, hopefully Batman Brave Bold as well.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well...as sad/dumb as it sounds, I'd rather have it cropped and be 16:9 then 4:3.[/QUOTE]

Same here for something like this - especially since the animators had 16:9 in mind when they originally made it.

[quote name='monsoon man']No news but I imagine if BB RotJ sells well they'll release some more DCU classics, hopefully Batman Brave Bold as well.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is over due as well.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well...as sad/dumb as it sounds, I'd rather have it cropped and be 16:9 then 4:3.[/QUOTE]

Don't you have a zoom on your TV? It would do the same thing as them cropping it down to 16:9 (since it doesn't seem to be a pan-and-scan type of cropping)

[quote name='Sporadic']Don't you have a zoom on your TV? It would do the same thing as them cropping it down to 16:9 (since it doesn't seem to be a pan-and-scan type of cropping)[/QUOTE]

This

[quote name='Sporadic']Don't you have a zoom on your TV? It would do the same thing as them cropping it down to 16:9 (since it doesn't seem to be a pan-and-scan type of cropping)[/QUOTE]

True, but in some cases zooming gives it an unwanted pixelated effect.

[quote name='monsoon man']http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showpost.php?p=3767069&postcount=414

I'd say that's a confirmation unless the WB people don't know what they are talking about ;)

I guess BB ROTJ is/was playing on Netflix Stream in HD. Anybody remember if that was 16x9 or 4x3, just curious.[/QUOTE]
Don't remember what the aspect ratio was when I streamed it on netflix, but what I do remember is it was NOT the uncut version. When I sought a copy of the uncut version streaming from elsewhere, it was widescreen.

Was hoping for a bonus episode or two in the bonus features. Oh well, it's cheap enough for me to upgrade my DVD copy for.

I watched the Netflix HD streaming before they removed a lot of the WB Animation last month and it was uncut and in 4:3. It will be nice to finally have this on Bluray.

if its cropped "widescreen" i will pass, to the guy who said "they didn't draw anything useful anyways" you don't know what you are talking about, i will take it the way it was meant to be scene, the way it was drawn, not butchered.

Regardless of the aspect ratio, the uncut version is superb. I finally got around to watching this and was really impressed with everything (story, animation, etc.). It's quite dark, but not gratuitously so in the way a lesser team would approach such a story. So, if you haven't watched this yet, make sure you do so! :)

Not sure if it has been said yet, but the individual DVD season sets are about $15 each on Amazon which is almost 1/2 the price of the complete series set.

This was a great movie. It's time to get all the animated Batman shows out on Blu Ray

except for maybe The Batman, which was terrible.

I'll grab it when it's $10 or less. I hope this sells well enough for them to consider releasing Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond on blu-ray.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']I'll grab it when it's $10 or less. I hope this sells well enough for them to consider releasing Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond on blu-ray.[/QUOTE]lol. Something in this post doesn't quite add up. :lol:

[quote name='BustaUppa']lol. Something in this post doesn't quite add up. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I thought about that after I posted it. I don't generally buy any blu-ray regardless of title for more than $10 unless it's a special edition or something.

i love how the first half of this thread was all people talking about aspect ratios save for one or two people saying they pre-ordered.

[quote name='seether254']i love how the first half of this thread was all people talking about aspect ratios save for one or two people saying they pre-ordered.[/QUOTE]
Well, it is important, folks were (are?) just trying to get to the bottom of what is the original aspect ratio of the movie. Screwing up the aspect ratio is one of the reasons I won't buy a show or movie, even if I like the content.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']I'll grab it when it's $10 or less. I hope this sells well enough for them to consider releasing Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond on blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

Sigh. People still don't understand how this whole "HD" thing works, apparently...

[quote name='guardian_owl']Well, it is important, folks were (are?) just trying to get to the bottom of what is the original aspect ratio of the movie. Screwing up the aspect ratio is one of the reasons I won't buy a show or movie, even if I like the content.[/QUOTE]

This.

bread's done
Back