Battleborn (XONE/PS4) $39.99/$31.99 (GCU) Best Buy

This is the right idea but the wrong analysis.

I'd actually argue that promotion for the game has been poor on many respects. For example, there were multiple YouTube videos explaining the differences between this & Battleborn with the former being more like TF2 & the latter being more like DotA (this poor marketing or at least consumer confusion can also be attributed to 2k as well). In short: for a long time consumers didn't really know what Overwatch was and couldn't tell just by looking at marketing materials.

When you say the game will sell because it's Blizzard what you're really talking about is consumer goodwill. For example, Apple could slap their trademark on a random piece of plastic & people would buy it based off Apple's reputation. That's all consumer goodwill, not marketing.
I didn't really read anything in your post that proves anything wrong, or even concretely disagrees with me. I agree with much of what you said - not even sure where the disagreement came in lol.

I mentioned "customer goodwill" AND marketing - I was not mistaking one for the other; I was acknowledging both. Battleborn did not have them to nearly the same extent. That's really the only point I was making.

And for the part about being confused - that really doesn't matter in the end. By the time the marketing took effect via commercials, betas, media reports, etc, and then obviously by the time Battleborn was out, we already knew the difference.

Central point to that is: at this point in time, Overwatch is not out, yet people know the difference. They managed to clear it up before launch, which is really all the matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't really read anything in your post that proves anything wrong, or even concretely disagrees with me. I agree with much of what you said - not even sure where the disagreement came in lol.

Central point to that is: at this point in time, Overwatch is not out, yet people know the difference. They managed to clear it up before launch, which is really all the matters.
Not really disagreement just wanted to clarify. Water under the bridge.

As to the consumer confusion, I would not be so sure. I understand the game (at least I think I do) b/c I've watched a lot of videos (didn't get to play the beta b/c of finals). You know it for presumably similar reasons. I'm not so sure "Joe Consumer" that randomly checks out Gamestop or Best Buy knows what OW is.

Put in another way: if I had to watch 1 hour+ of videos comparing the OW v. BB or play the beta just to know what the game is, I think that's a sign that marketing by itself (i.e. basic posters @ Gamestop, basic 30 sec- 1 min. YouTube ads) has not done it's job. You gotta keep in mind the casual gamer that usually buys ~2-3 titles a year--their $40-$60 is just as good as mine (minus DLC/addon arguments).

I imagine Battleborn is going to be a huge game on the second market. Can you imagine how many people thought it was just a borderlands type of shooter and were dissapointed and confused when its actually a moba? The commercials make it seem like just a normal shooter

Battleborn will sink in price fast. Overwatch having it's Open BETA on launch week for Battleborn killed what little momentum that game had going for it.

battleborn is a good game in my opinion, im in the minority but I wasnt wowed by the overwatch beta and probably wont by OW right away. battleborn is deft one of those you either like it or you dont type games. I did wish it had more story content, but unlocking characters can be addicting if you enjoy the gameplay. 

whereas BB seemed to take Gearboxes mantra - put a bunch of shit on screen and make everything loud and confusing.
What are you talking about? This is BEAUTIFUL:

gyx7X47.jpg

You can play private story or vs matches against bots and you'll still earn points and rank up and rank your characters up. (Ranking characters up unlocks skins, skills, and lore for them.)

In the beta, you could only gain progress in story mode or multiplayer. Did they change this or do matches against bots still earn you nothing?

Sometimes I wonder how the developers of battleborn feel when they see every conversation about it turn into one about how overwatch is superior and battleborn is practically dead
I feel bad for them but they really need to slap their marketing (and Randy Pitchford for being a douche). The similar styles were naturally going to cause confusion, but instead of trying to differentiate it they decided to throw down despite appealing to a different kind of crowd. All Blizzard had to do was laugh and put the open beta on BB's launch day and GG no re

It seems like you've already made up your mind. There's no reason to buy any multiplayer game if there's no community lol but it's that kind of thinking that kills a game before it even has time to flourish. And yeah, it's pretty chaotic if you just jump into the piles of enemies, but anyone that plays MOBAs knows this.
That's fine. To each their own on what game they want to purchase but the general consensus is Overwatch will dominate and Battleborn will be left in the dust. I'm well aware how a MOBA plays having dabbled in the likes of Smite and League of Legends. It just didn't play well in my opinion.

Again, if you like it, awesome. Play to your hearts content and screw Overwatch. ;)

What are you talking about? This is BEAUTIFUL:

gyx7X47.jpg
My eyes. My eyes..

All Blizzard had to do was laugh and put the open beta on BB's launch day and GG no re
I feel bad too, then again it's just history repeating itself. Blizzard had been fucking every competitor in the ass by lining up their product launch/betas with any potential threat. I can't even count the MMOs or ARPGs getting whooped by wow expansions and stuff like that.

I feel bad too, then again it's just history repeating itself. Blizzard had been fucking every competitor in the ass by lining up their product launch/betas with any optional threat. I can't even count the MMOs or ARPGs getting whooped by wow expansions and stuff like that.
They probably shouldn't have poked the bear:

https://twitter.com/Battleborn/status/706956858460741632

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/707010249455067137

If you are Elite or Elite Plus at BB you can still get a price adjustment on this game, I did it today.

My opinion is probably in the minority, but I really liked the second beta of this game after being thoroughly unimpressed with the first. Loved the shooting mechanics and the fact that you could do couch and online co-op at the same time.

I chose this game over Overwatch mainly because it has a campaign and Overwatch has only PvP play modes. Still may end up getting Overwatch eventually since most of my friends went with it, but for now I'm holding off.

Well I just bought it and am looking forward to checking it out.  Based on the Betas and the gameplay that I've seen, the mechanics and settings seem different enough to warrant playing both Overwatch and Battleborn.  Seems unfortunate that so many people are conflating the two and writing Battleborn off.  

Anyone who played the beta, and still went on to buy battleborn must be crazy. The game looked about 40% complete, no polish, basic audio and visual cues not there, sluggish gameplay. After the beta (which i expected would be way better than the alpha, which is wasnt) I knew it would be a massive fail. All they had to do was take borderlands 2 and make it multiplayer. Instead they created some half finished trash and it failed :(

I really enjoy Battleborn overall.  When the game is 5 on 5 multiplayer, games are really enjoyable.  The biggest frustration is if anyone on your team quits, you are doomed, and people quit far too often.  Still, I play it a ton, and they give you a ton of goals to try to achieve.  My favorite is the lore unlocks.  There are 5 challenges for each character that unlock a piece of lore about that character.  I found the lore bites interesting, and when you unlock all 5 for the same character, you get a legendary piece of gear with a bonus for that character.  It keeps you going with specific objectives.

I hated the Battleborn closed technical test, but found that I liked the beta from a month ago much improved.  I loved the Overwatch beta as well, and am getting that today as well.

Anyone who played the beta, and still went on to buy battleborn must be crazy. The game looked about 40% complete, no polish, basic audio and visual cues not there, sluggish gameplay. After the beta (which i expected would be way better than the alpha, which is wasnt) I knew it would be a massive fail. All they had to do was take borderlands 2 and make it multiplayer. Instead they created some half finished trash and it failed :(
If you think battleborn is close to BL2 just by adding MP you deft did not spend enough time with it. Ive already said it once its deft a love or hate type game, but like someone else said BB and OW are two very different games. OW coming out is not going to kill BB, whats killing BB is the lack of advertising campaign they put into the game before release; knowing they were dealing with giant hype machine Blizzard 3 weeks behind them. It was bad business on gearbox's part and they should have dropped more ad revenue into the pre release hype train for BB, that and I think they missed an opportunity limiting the initial game to 8 story missions not sure if DLC will add more story based content or not.

Don't feel dumb. You got a brand new release and fully insured. Have you played the game fully and thoroughly? Rather your just bashing it because others are?

$52 GCU
-$17 PM
-$10 RW cert

Your in for $25 currently.
I'd rather have the price drop now while I can price match then a month after release and outside the price match window. :D/

Plus I flipped my extra copy to Amazon for profit so I'm just meh about people bashing the game.

It's not GOTY and has some quirks but I still have fun with the game.

I had Amazon credit to burn so I bit on the digital deluxe edition. Now I'm trying to find a match and I keep getting matchmaking errors =_=

Price matched this today, got a "courtesy" credit of $16 instead of the $8.05 the lady was trying to give me even though I had read the GCU pricematch policy to her word for word. Only reason I got it was that I was on hold for ~5-8 minutes waiting for her supervisor that was apparently still busy. I really hate dealing with best buy support.

If you don't have a Best Buy near you. Target has this for 39.99 as well. Was in there earlier, but BB is the better deal.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Gearbox tweeted that it is a 1 week price drop.  Same week they do a double XP weekend and release the first free character.  All of it seems to try to counter the release of Overwatch.

I'm curious to why this is dropping in price so fast....
To counter the release of Overwatch, but I bet Battleborn isn't selling as well as they had hoped either. I personally didn't like Battleborn at all, thought both the gameplay and art style left a lot to be desired. Overwatch on the other hand is a blast and I think it will destroy Battleborn in terms of sales despite the games being quite different.

Price matched this today, got a "courtesy" credit of $16 instead of the $8.05 the lady was trying to give me even though I had read the GCU pricematch policy to her word for word. Only reason I got it was that I was on hold for ~5-8 minutes waiting for her supervisor that was apparently still busy. I really hate dealing with best buy support.
For price adjustments on online orders, use their email form. It's super easy to explain the gcu price you paid, the gcu price it is now, and how much you should get credited. I always receive a credit within an hour, usually like 15-20 minutes later. Did it yesterday for my $16 back plus tax.

For price adjustments on online orders, use their email form. It's super easy to explain the gcu price you paid, the gcu price it is now, and how much you should get credited. I always receive a credit within an hour, usually like 15-20 minutes later. Did it yesterday for my $16 back plus tax.
What "email form" are you speaking of? I'm having trouble locating any email for Best Buy. Thanks.

Battleborn will sink in price fast. Overwatch having it's Open BETA on launch week for Battleborn killed what little momentum that game had going for it.
It already has! Knowing I wanted both games, I really feel dumb for not waiting until Overwatch released for this very reason

It already has! Knowing I wanted both games, I really feel dumb for not waiting until Overwatch released for this very reason
I don't know what it is, but Battleborn has always looked terrible to me. I am sure the game isn't a complete disaster, but man does it look laaaaaame. I don't like the art style (too similar to Borderlands to not be Borderlands) and the gameplay just looks very meh. Overwatch is simply a lot of fun to play and the game oozes with personality, playing the BETA I constantly wanted to play one my round just because I was having a blast playing it, I can't remember the last time I had this much fun playing any game online.

I don't know what it is, but Battleborn has always looked terrible to me. I am sure the game isn't a complete disaster, but man does it look laaaaaame. I don't like the art style (too similar to Borderlands to not be Borderlands) and the gameplay just looks very meh. Overwatch is simply a lot of fun to play and the game oozes with personality, playing the BETA I constantly wanted to play one my round just because I was having a blast playing it, I can't remember the last time I had this much fun playing any game online.
I am with you on this. However, I was never really a big fan of Borderlands. I know people praise that game but it was such a chore to finish the first. I played the second and gave up halfway through it. The Overwatch Beta was much much better than I expected. I really like how diverse of a shooter it is. As a true CAG though, I'm waiting for the price to drop on consoles.

I play Battleborn on ps4 and Overwatch on my pretty decent PC, so yeah, not a fair comparison. Overall I see what you mean though - Overwatch clearly has a better sense if style and art direction. And I'm willing to bet the console version of Overwatch runs much better than Battleborn.

I play Battleborn on ps4 and Overwatch on my pretty decent PC, so yeah, not a fair comparison. Overall I see what you mean though - Overwatch clearly has a better sense if style and art direction. And I'm willing to bet the console version of Overwatch runs much better than Battleborn.
Can't say how Battleborn runs on consoles, but Overwatch runs at 60 FPS on both PS4 and Xbox One. I am playing on the PS4 and have had zero issues with Overwatch.

I am with you on this. However, I was never really a big fan of Borderlands. I know people praise that game but it was such a chore to finish the first. I played the second and gave up halfway through it. The Overwatch Beta was much much better than I expected. I really like how diverse of a shooter it is. As a true CAG though, I'm waiting for the price to drop on consoles.
Same for me. I quit playing Borderlands 2 halfway through and never came back. The games have never really done it for me, I can't put my finger on it because I didn't hate the games when I played them I just wasn't drawn in to the characters or the world. I thought that having so many guns watered down the loot for me too, never felt like anything was really special.

Well at least on night 1 OW did not kill BB was easily finding matches on both story mode and MP mode with full teams. BB also announced they will be adding free characters and maps soon. 

Any idea how long this sale will last? Looking forward to pick up BB this weekend!
I think only until Saturday the 28th. I'm trying to talk myself out of it since I have such a tremendous backlog and missed the Amazon sale price of $39.99 for the digital deluxe edition.

I think only until Saturday the 28th. I'm trying to talk myself out of it since I have such a tremendous backlog and missed the Amazon sale price of $39.99 for the digital deluxe edition.
Same here. Although I have Overwatch and they are different types of games I'm not sure if I should get this. Plus I know nothing about the game, and my backlog is huge.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I used this form this morning request a refund. I am not Elite, and it was 3 weeks ago, but they still did refund me 16.96 (the difference after gcu). Thanks for the heads up about trying contact us. It took less than 20 minutes.
Well, you've spurred my interest in attempting (I'm no longer elite either) We shall see if I get denied.

well, I got 8$ back.  Ignored GCU and tax, but 8 more than the 0 expected so I'll take it.

well, I got 8$ back. Not sure where the number came from outside of ignoring GCU, but 8 more than the 0 expected so a win either way.
I have to spell it out clearly when I send BB CS an email for a price adjustment as they always forget GCU. I also remember to include sales tax, since they forget that far more than they should.

Even with that, they fuck it up by failing both basic math and basic reading/comprehension.

I have to spell it out clearly when I send BB CS an email for a price adjustment as they always forget GCU. I also remember to include sales tax, since they forget that far more than they should.

Even with that, they fuck it up by failing both basic math and basic reading/comprehension.
Yep. I do that in person. But this time I figured if I got too detailed, they'd hit me with the detail of not being elite and outside the return window. I really miss the glory days of 20 in rewards for a pre-order, and a 60 day retro pricematch to ANY retailer. I wore their ass out on that one. It almost felt wrong, but was 100% legit. Many of them knew me by name.

bread's done
Back