Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Beta

Amerijapoxicano

CAGiversary!
I just started playing the demo. I've got to say, I'm quite impressed so far. Big improvement over the first one. Just want to hear everyone's opinions. Sorry if this thread already exists, but I searched and couldn't find it.
(P.S. Please don't ask for Beta codes, there's other threads for that)

I've been playing this extensively, it's in my rotation. This is coming from someone new into the franchise though. It's a really solid and deep tactical game. I love how everything is destructible and how that changes the landscape and strategy as well.

I've been playing all the classes and getting all the gadgets from them.

It's crazy how one level has almost infinite replay value.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']It's crazy how one level has almost infinite replay value.[/QUOTE]

That is the beatuy of the Battlefield series. :) I only played on ONE map in 2142. And I stomped around Karkland most of the time in BF2. Rounds are never the same, and there are TONS of weapons/gadets/awards to unlock.

I love the recon class. Basically a "mobile commander" with his motion sensors (Bf2= UAV) and the motor strike. I think Battlefront's "sniper" class also had the same type of set up.

I was slightly dissapointed with the mortar strike seeing as how a tank can just drive forward or backwards and evade most of the hits though. Seems like C4 might be better?

Mortars strikes can clear out a certain area though so that's good and obviously you can do it from a safe distance.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']I was slightly dissapointed with the mortar strike seeing as how a tank can just drive forward or backwards and evade most of the hits though. Seems like C4 might be better?

Mortars strikes can clear out a certain area though so that's good and obviously you can do it from a safe distance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah C4 is better for tanks. Plus there are perks now so their armor can be tougher depending on who is inside. Might be a balancing issue for the devs though.

I like the strike because you can use it to bring roofs of buildings down on people mainly. :)

And just a heads up for people who dont know.

Parachute: When you're in the air for enough time, rapidly press "X" for a few moments and a parachute will come out. You won't get hurt if you jump off a tall building with the parachute. However, the parachute is really big so people will be looking out for an easy kill.

Marking: As opposed to previous BF games, hitting a person will not mark them. Put your crosshairs over a person and hit "Select" to mark them. When you mark an opponent, everyone on your team can see the person, making it a big tactic (if you mark someone and one of your teammates kill the marked person, you get 20 points). Also, if you go up to a medic/assault (on your team) and press "Select", you will ask the person for a med pack/ ammo pack.

I did not know about the last option. Cool.

Also people, I posted this in the 'BF Beta Keys' thread here. Fileplanet is given a small amount of beta keys out so hurry up before they run out of them.

Yeah you can use select to do a lot of things.

Marking and getting points is GREAT since I like to play as a sniper and sit back from a high vantage point.

It also marks people who bail out of vehicles for a few seconds too after you tagged their ride.

Speaking of vehicles, if you aim at a friendly and hit select one you will request a ride.

You can also request repairs... Not sure if you have to find an engineer or just hit select when you have a damaged tank or whatever.

One thing I found is that it is hard to see the icon of what role others are playing. So if I need ammo I have to really search for the guy. Guessing it is I didn't get used to the class's look. And even when you find people, they usually don't know you are shouting at them. I haven't checked it out but does an icon show up on the map when people make requests? Know previous BF games did that at least.

Of course it is a beta so people might not know that dropping ammo/med kits gets them points when people use them.

4 vs 4 (2) idea is awesome. I can imagine the level being huge and you in your team holing up in a place and the building being dropped down on you, yes!

Hopefully there's buildings in the jungle level? Doubtful. :\

I'm personally surprised that this Beta isn't getting more hype. I think it's an amazing game which, although not as good in most ways, can stand toe-to-toe with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I just got COD:MW2, so I'm not playing the Beta anymore, but I'll have to pick up BFBC2 when it comes out if I can find it for $40 or less new.

I just got MW2 and have been playing it extensively.

and BFBC2 is way better, imo. I wouldn't have picked up MW2 if the CAG front page didn't inform it was $44 dollars on Amazon.

I also think MAG is better than MW2. *shrugs*

I think the days of "only one shooter" is dead for me. They can't make them like SOCOM any more... Where I was soaking hours and hours into it on my PS2. So I think I'll pick this up, and swap out with SOCOM/Killzone to get my fixes. They all do certain things well, but not well enough to hold my full attention. Don't think there is anything wrong with that.

bread's done
Back