Bay Area: Best Buy camp out for PS3 & Wii?

SOSTrooper

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So now we know none of the Bay Area Best Buy's are doing midnight launch, so us organic food-loving people who didn't pre-order the systems yet will have to camp out 2 out of 3 nights for both systems! I'll be sleeping in the cold for both systems for sure at the Best Buy in Emeryville, for the nights of 16/17th and 18/19th. I did this last year for the XBox 360 launch at the same location. Anyone plan to camp out yet?

[quote name='arrrggghhh']I've never camped before.... I was just wondering how the bathroom rules went. Are people allowed to jump out of line to go to the bathroom, and come back?[/QUOTE]

Try to make friends w/ the ppl around you. When you want to go take a piss just let them know, I'm sure if they want to take a piss, they'd want you to do the same.

Has anyone seen a line forming for Wii anywhere yet?

i havent seen lines anywhere. thinking about making the trip to tru, though ive never been to san mateo so its gonna be weird.

[quote name='hella']i havent seen lines anywhere. thinking about making the trip to tru, though ive never been to san mateo so its gonna be weird.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna head there around 6pm or 7. I might call them in a bit to makre sure they really won't enforce a line until the store closes at 9. I'm gonna be wearing a red panda t-shirt and a light brown jacket if CAG ever want to come say hi to me. I'm the asian guy w/ glasses and spiky hair (like all asian guys) hehe.

6 o clock? i dont even get out of work til 6 and im in sf. i hope not everyone is as gung-ho as you are.
youre gonna save me a spot right?
:p

it looks like i'm gonna pass this TRU midnight launch. i'll just head over at target tommorrow morning, so that i could play it all day.

I just called San Mateo, and they said they've got close to 100 people in line already. WTF, I thought they weren't allowing people to line up until it closed?

This ruins my plans for the evening...looks like I have to wait until tomorrow. *sigh*

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I just called San Mateo, and they said they've got close to 100 people in line already. WTF, I thought they weren't allowing people to line up until it closed?

This ruins my plans for the evening...looks like I have to wait until tomorrow. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

Same here. 4pm and they already had 100+ people lined up. I guess whoever told you guys that they would not let people line up until after 10pm was a crock of shit.

Oh well...tomorrow it is :) Go pre-sales.

Ugh, I should have known better than to believe they would stop people from lining up...

No pre-order for me, so now I have to figure out how early to go to Target tomorrow morning. It's so hard to predict what the demand will be!

i managed to get preorder for my wii at gamestop. it was just easy and i will pick it up tonight. but, man looking at all of the chaos some have to go through. i loved living in a small town out of state. never had to worry about any of this. my older brother bought 2 playstation 3 with no reserve, he waited for the 60gig in the store. he is also getting a wii tonight with no reserve. my younger brother who lives in yet another state is gettting a wii tonight with no reserve. he just walked in like an hour ago and is first. i am happy and sad (not really) since they are 2 hours a head of us. wish i was there....

good luck to everyone else.

[quote name='topnotch97']i heard BestBuy at San Carlos has a bunch of campers. wow.[/QUOTE]
@noon today
300345122_87967b6977.jpg

[quote name='asianxcore']Same here. 4pm and they already had 100+ people lined up. I guess whoever told you guys that they would not let people line up until after 10pm was a crock of shit.

Oh well...tomorrow it is :) Go pre-sales.[/QUOTE]

Damn that sux. Well it's right down the street from me so I will check it out anyway.

[quote name='porieux']Damn that sux. Well it's right down the street from me so I will check it out anyway.[/QUOTE]

just checked it out. line around the store. i'll wait :)

I went by TRU around 1130, just got back. They were selling 100 Wiis and they had just handed out vouchers, I just missed it oh well. I was there around 8pm but didnt want to wait. Some people were just going in to buy games or controllers...I think there were two different kind of vouchers, one for a system, one to just go in to buy games etc.

They were only selling a bundle with Zelda and 'warranty' for $289 I think. Not a bad deal.

[quote name='porieux']They were only selling a bundle with Zelda and 'warranty' for $289 I think. Not a bad deal.[/QUOTE]

awesome deal... any possibility it isn't a midnight launch deal only? or YMMV?

If you want to line up for Wii better do it now; the Emeryville Best Buy has about 60-70 ppl in line. The store is getting around 80 units.

The deal was $289 if you signed up for their dumb Chase Credit Card. It was $329 for Wii, Zelda and 1yr. Warranty beyond Nintendo's warranty.

so what is everyone's assessment on today's launch? good? bad?

would you do it again? would you do it better next time? LOL!

this day was crazy, especially for non-midnight launch people.

[quote name='topnotch97']so what is everyone's assessment on today's launch? good? bad?
would you do it again? would you do it better next time? LOL!
[/QUOTE]

I worked 7am-3:30pm launch day. I wasn't scheduled until 9am that day, but a lot wasn't done on my day off Saturday. So I came in with a couple of my R-Zone associates and helped set up all the displays, accessories, games, pre-sales etc. We pretty much did a speed run, and I was surprised we finished everything in under 2 hours.

With that said, all the hard work we put in that morning made launch go smoothly. Every customer who waited in line pre-sale or not, commented on how organized it all felt. So it was nice to see people were noticing all the hard work we put in.

Would I do this Nintendo Wii launch again? Yes. It went exactly how I wanted it to go.

Now that launch is over, the post-launch days are here......and boy are they annoying :)

DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR NEXT SHIPMENT OF WII'S COME IN!?!?!?

[quote name='asianxcore']

Now that launch is over, the post-launch days are here......and boy are they annoying :)

DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR NEXT SHIPMENT OF WII'S COME IN!?!?!?[/QUOTE]

:oops: Yeah sorry bout that

[quote name='Greendomo']:oops: Yeah sorry bout that[/QUOTE]

It's fine.

It's just annoying that's all. Every phone call I get is concerning that question and most of the people coming into my section ask that question.

I also know who they are too, they are people I do not see EVER in the store I work in. They are people who thought of TRU as a last resort to find the Wii and I know who they are. Kind of rude to say, but I know my regulars and I know the people who just couldn't get one and "had" to go to TRU.

I wish people would understand that I don't know when they are coming in. If I did know I would let people know. This is a business, if we hide information like that, well we don't make money, which in turn makes our district manager get on all our asses. We don't want that.

But what people need to realize is that launch was 3 days ago, and I haven't even got my second shipment of Wii's yet, so I don't know how they will be shipped. Will they be on the truck? Will they be shipped UPS? DHL? FedEx. If I don't even have a second shipment, how can I honestly predict the flow.

I wish people would understand how Nintendo does launches. Also the fact that you can't assume just because you didn't get one within the first THREE days of release, all hope is not lost. We aren't talking about Sony here.

Nintendo sent us 70+ Wii's and Sony sent me 6 (2 less than what they promised for pre-sales).

Nuff said'.

I hate gaming retail. I'm glad I'm getting out soon.

[quote name='asianxcore']It's fine.

It's just annoying that's all. Every phone call I get is concerning that question and most of the people coming into my section ask that question.

I also know who they are too, they are people I do not see EVER in the store I work in. They are people who thought of TRU as a last resort to find the Wii and I know who they are. Kind of rude to say, but I know my regulars and I know the people who just couldn't get one and "had" to go to TRU.

I wish people would understand that I don't know when they are coming in. If I did know I would let people know. This is a business, if we hide information like that, well we don't make money, which in turn makes our district manager get on all our asses. We don't want that.

But what people need to realize is that launch was 3 days ago, and I haven't even got my second shipment of Wii's yet, so I don't know how they will be shipped. Will they be on the truck? Will they be shipped UPS? DHL? FedEx. If I don't even have a second shipment, how can I honestly predict the flow.

I wish people would understand how Nintendo does launches. Also the fact that you can't assume just because you didn't get one within the first THREE days of release, all hope is not lost. We aren't talking about Sony here.

Nintendo sent us 70+ Wii's and Sony sent me 6 (2 less than what they promised for pre-sales).

Nuff said'.

I hate gaming retail. I'm glad I'm getting out soon.[/QUOTE]

I understand your situation. but at the same time i'm in socal and I know for a fact that the bestbuy near me is holding wiis till Sunday, and my gamestop is holding some for BF...So can you blame guys for trying elsewhere?

[quote name='Greendomo']Can you blame guys for trying elsewhere?[/QUOTE]

No I don't. BB up where I live in Nor Cal, were holding units launch day as well. Not sure what anyone else's situation, as I haven't been to any other stores in my area since launch.

I just get annoyed when people assume I have an exact idea to when more come in. I can't count how many times people have offered me money (one guy actually put $100 in front of me yesterday) to hold them a Nintendo Wii.

Or when people say stuff like, "Bro...can you give me some inside information?". :)

What inside information? Even my store director doesn't know when they come in. How am I supposed to?

It's the nature of the retail industry though. I knew I was walking into this when I accepted the job, so I can't complain (yet I do).

[quote name='chernggoh']which TRU was this?[/QUOTE]

The midnight line extravaganza? San Mateo

Me bitchin'? San Rafael :)

We got in 21 Wii's at 11am on Friday. Gone within 40 minutes.

Anyone know numbers for the Bay Area stores for tomorrow's Wii ad? I've got to be at work by 11am, but I was thinking of hitting the Blossom Hill store, though there's the new one in Palo Alto that's closer to work that might be a better bet.

I picked up an extra wii-mote and classic controller just becuase I saw it. Not even sure if I'm keeping them.

it was at the new best buy in San Francisco. Ran out quick. I should have picked up some nunchucks... but didn't for some odd reason.

[quote name='chernggoh']I picked up an extra wii-mote and classic controller just becuase I saw it. Not even sure if I'm keeping them.

it was at the new best buy in San Francisco. Ran out quick. I should have picked up some nunchucks... but didn't for some odd reason.[/QUOTE]
Dammit! After reading that post, I headed to that BB to grab some cons & a Nunchuk....but they were out! The guy working there told me that some jerk-off had just been in there and bought ALL the controllers and nunchuks. WHAT AN ASS.

bread's done
Back