BB - Free Xbox 360 and Halo 3 with $1200 Samsung 50" HDTV purchase

kofiguy

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
Best Buy is offering $410 off the price of a Samsung HDTV when you purchase an Xbox 360 and Halo 3. (online only) Info here

You can choose a better TV or upgrade to an Elite or the Special edition 360 console, and you can upgrade to the version of Halo 3 you want, but it will only take $410 off. The discount appears when all three items are in the cart.

[quote name='pete5883']Let me guess, you found this at slickdeals?[/QUOTE]

Let me guess, you woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning? It's right on the 360 page at BB.com, not some huge secret from another forum.

[quote name='fwacce']Let me guess, you woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning? It's right on the 360 page at BB.com, not some huge secret from another forum.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he said that because I posted the same post on Slickdeals, as if it's some sort of crime to post the same deal in two different places.

[quote name='AlanSaysYo']Blech, 720p. You can probably do better elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Unless your viewing distance is under 7 feet 1080p will give you no benefit(at that screen size). This deal is actually not bad.

Wait scratch that this is only on dlp's fucks that. Why buy a tv that you cant turn on and off at a whim (Other than the expensive but nice led model). If you buy a dlp tv you pretty much have to watch at >1hr intervals to maintain bulb life with long breaks in between. Save your money get a 720p plasma for 800 and you'll come out ahead. (Bulbs cost around 300-400 a piece)

[quote name='mkelehan']Do not EVER buy a DLP for gaming. The lag is unbearable.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the case years ago, but not anymore. Most DLPs nowadays have taken care of that problem.

[quote name='Dustin Echoes']Maybe the case years ago, but not anymore. Most DLPs nowadays have taken care of that problem.[/quote]

Agreed, I bought a 50" RCA Scenium the day the 360 launched and have never experienced any lag issues with my 360, PS2 or PS3.

[quote name='cb4774']Agreed, I bought a 50" RCA Scenium the day the 360 launched and have never experienced any lag issues with my 360, PS2 or PS3.[/quote]

Agreed. I have a 2006 56" model Samsung (5686w, I believe), and there's a "Game Mode" right in the option menu. I just set my HDMI and Component 1 inputs to Game Mode and there's no lag at all.

DLP is the best kind of TV for gaming in my opinion. I have a Feb 2006 56" Samsung DLP and it is amazing.

[quote name='mkelehan']Do not EVER buy a DLP for gaming. The lag is unbearable.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit. I've got a 14-month old 720p Samsung DLP, and I've never come across a noticeable hint of lag on either my 360 (through component, VGA, AND HDMI) or my Wii (running widescreen pro-scan through component).

Now, the overscan on my 360 through component and HDMI, that's annoying. Doesn't happen through VGA, though (coincidentally, my VGA input is broken and shades everything passing though it red...)

I agree with all the DLP owners here that said they have no lag. My Samsung 50" also uses the game mode and it is perfect. I bought my tv for $1800 last year and I would still recommend one for the $1200 price, specially if you get a free xbox 360!

If I could pay for half now and pay the rest off in installments it'd be worth it to buy that 50" 1080p set for $1800, sell the Halo box + Halo 3 and get the TV for roughly $1400. Too bad I doubt my credit history would allow me to make payments.

What's with all of the threadcrapping going on? People griping about giving credit to slickdeals (yet it was the same exact poster who posted it), complaining about DLP technology (which has no validity, gaming is now fine on a DLP), it's like we're getting a lot of the posters from Fat Wallet over here now.

And we wonder why people are hesitant to post deals when they find them.

Anyways, thanks for posting the deal kofiguy.

Yeah, I agree with most people here.... DLP's are great options now... oh it takes 20 seconds for the TV to turn on, who cares?...

And you should buy protection plans on huge purchases anyway... which include free bulb replacement.

Damn, I have to resist.... no $1200 balance on my credit card... that would be bad...

And I'd have to sell my 46" Samsung to recover most of the costs...

$1160 for the 50" 720p, premium 360, and Halo 3 basic, with shipping and tax, and free delivery on the TV! fuck, I need to resist this...

But if this is still here in a day or two, with that extra $120 discount, and if a coupon pops up...

To top this off you can get the free $10 GC when you add an accessory for your 360($29.99 and up), and also grab your 1600 XBL marketplace points for $5, because Halo 3 is still counted as a preorder. Pickup your xbox 360 in store for free shipping on your whole order.

This deal is getting ridiculously tempting for me. Combining all the deals,drops, the No Interest For 3 Years on all DLP HDTVs offer, plus the fact that our current ancient living room tv has been on its last legs for months... And we have a $20 rewards coupon burning a hole in my purse. No interest in halo but could always resell that on ebay to recoup a little bit as well, assumably.

But part of my brain keeps reminding me I'm in no position to be putting such a big purchase on a credit card, even if there's a no interest offer. Why couldn't this deal have come about 2 months from now?

...is that 3 year no interest online?

Damn, I'm sold as soon as their website pops back up. Hell, I'd consider one of the 1080p sets, but I don't want to have to worry about that much money.

The 50' 720p one is down to $1,079.99. If this hits $999.99 before the end of the week I don't think i will be able to resist.

tempting but only if it was a flatpanel that i could put in the bedroom. i'm guessing this is just a way to clear out all of their old 360 stock hopefully to make room for the new versions with the new chips.

This is a nice deal.
Also, DLP tech is fine for gaming at this point. The lag issue occurred on the first (and some second) generation DLP TV's. At this point, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a DLP for gaming.

I still don't understand why some of you think this is a great deal. Those same TVs could be shipped directly to your door for hundreds of dollars less.

[quote name='modifiedbears']I still don't understand why some of you think this is a great deal. Those same TVs could be shipped directly to your door for hundreds of dollars less.[/quote]

Show me where and I will believe you

[quote name='modifiedbears']I still don't understand why some of you think this is a great deal. Those same TVs could be shipped directly to your door for hundreds of dollars less.[/quote]

Then prove it. Show me a legitimate site where I can get a 50" Samsung DLP 720P for $660.00 shipped. I am not talking about the older 2005 models. I am talking 2006 and up (the black ones, not silver).

Like I said before, I would glady buy another Samsung DLP for gaming. I have had no issues with the tv at all and it has been on for 6-8 hours a day for the last 18 months. I have not even changed the bulb assy. On top of that, if anything goes wrong with the tv usually all you have to do is replace the bulb assy, no need to send it in for repairs. These tvs are like hollow shells.

[quote name='modifiedbears']I still don't understand why some of you think this is a great deal. Those same TVs could be shipped directly to your door for hundreds of dollars less.[/QUOTE]

REALLY? Cause the lowest I find using pricegrabber on the 720p 50" is $1100 shipped, and if I factor in selling the 360 and Halo 3, then that brings this deal down to $850 for me. And 1100 > 850, not the other way around.

[quote name='Callandor']REALLY? Cause the lowest I find using pricegrabber on the 720p 50" is $1100 shipped, and if I factor in selling the 360 and Halo 3, then that brings this deal down to $850 for me. And 1100 > 850, not the other way around.[/quote]
Well Amazon has it for $970 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT5075S-Slim-720p-HDTV/dp/B000N50R6O/ref=sr_1_4/102-2216062-1812901?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1190211883&sr=1-4

Which is tax-free for me.

Best-Buy is $1163 shipped with tax for everything.

If I got back what everything I paid for the console and game, 1164 - 438 = $730 vs. $970, which is a good price for the TV. But odds are you'd only get a percentage of the console/game back, though.

Not the GREATEST deal, but I'd say it is worth it if you're in the market for everything, since it would be $1320 vs $1163.

Edited for bad math.

I posted this in the HALO 3 thread, but I think it is a GREAT deal. I would personally go for a 1080p TV. If I just didn't buy a Sony 60A2020 I would be all over this.

Not sure if they do 0% online with BB Credit Card.

[quote name='ducci']Well Amazon has it for $970 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT5075S-Slim-720p-HDTV/dp/B000N50R6O/ref=sr_1_4/102-2216062-1812901?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1190211883&sr=1-4[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about Amazon on the listings. Sorry about that, especially since I checked them before pricegrabber...

Argh, I want to do this, but I just have no reason to right now. Selling my current TV would be a pain, and I really don't want to deal with craigslist for that...

And BB online doesn't offer the 0% interest; that's only in-store, and it's a 2-year offer right now.

OT: Does anyone know how to fix a VGA input issue where it tints everything red? It is the TV input itself, since I've tried to separate VGA cables. Anyone? The overscan on my 360 through HDMI and component cuts off the subtitles on some of my streamed anime...

[quote name='jezebelseven']This deal is getting ridiculously tempting for me. Combining all the deals,drops, the No Interest For 3 Years on all DLP HDTVs offer, plus the fact that our current ancient living room tv has been on its last legs for months... And we have a $20 rewards coupon burning a hole in my purse. No interest in halo but could always resell that on ebay to recoup a little bit as well, assumably.

But part of my brain keeps reminding me I'm in no position to be putting such a big purchase on a credit card, even if there's a no interest offer. Why couldn't this deal have come about 2 months from now?[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm saying..

I want this deal for a Christmas present.

If I do buy it now.. I'll have to ask them about price adjusting in case the price goes down on the TV. I'll also need to know the return policy.

And it would also be hidden and sitting in a room for the next 3 months.

do not EVER post unless you know what you are talking about!

there is nothing wrong with dlp tv's the last few years. great bang for the buck, and you are on cheap ass gamer.

go to avs forums for more info on tv choices and read from professionals and experts, not ... haters.

dlp might not be for some people, but for most it is a great deal, especially 1080p.

Thanks OP! I bought a S5086 model last year and it's been great for me. So I got my mom in on this deal. Even though it says "online only," I called the store and ordered it from them and they're shipping it with $37 extra taken off the total. The chic who answered makes commission, so she was more than happy to help me out with it.

50" DLP TV
Halo 3
360 Bundle with Top Spin 2
1600 360 Points
4 Year Service Plan
$100 Gift Card to NFLshop.com (you can buy Madden 08 there)
No interest for 3 years.
Over $25 in RZ Certificates

$1360

Halo 3 and the Bundle are going on ebay.

For those who are hating on DLPs, have fun spending double just so you can basically hang it on the wall and have it last for half the time. I've had mine for a year now and haven't had any problems with it. It looks great, doesn't have any lag at all and takes like 3 seconds to turn on (not 20, dumbass).

Once again, thanks OP!

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']Thanks OP! I bought a S5086 model last year and it's been great for me. So I got my mom in on this deal. Even though it says "online only," I called the store and ordered it from them and they're shipping it with $37 extra taken off the total. The chic who answered makes commission, so she was more than happy to help me out with it.[/QUOTE]

Any tips on how to start out this conversation? I've never ordered from BB over the phone (wasn't even aware that was possible), and I'm very tempted to bite if I can just get the 3 years no interest deal, but I don't want to call and make it obvious that I'm doing something I imagine they normally don't do.

I'm tempted to go in store and see if they can work anything out for me, but I don't know how obvious to be with what I'm trying to do, or if there's anyone in particular I should be sweet talking.

I too would like to know how to go about getting this deal in store. I'm so tempted to jump on this deal right now, and If I could pick everything up in store today I'm not sure I could pass this up.

I've got a 2005 model 42-inch Samsung DLP and it's fine for games, no lag problem.

I believe the one I have is the one that has all the problems as it was an early model, but apart form the fact I believe the bulb will probably break fairly soon (I won't bother replacing it, they're too expensive) it's fine, it's on about 5 hours on week days and more at weekends.

If I've got the crappy model and it's ok, I've got to believe the new models are much improved.

I'm tempted by this deal but I want to wait for my current TV to break completely before I get a new one.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout'] It looks great, doesn't have any lag at all and takes like 3 seconds to turn on (not 20, dumbass).

Once again, thanks OP![/QUOTE]
Actually after a year of usage it does take about 20 seconds to turn on. Bulb life on these are rated at about 6000hours but usually last around 1000-3000hours and thats assuming its not a faulty bulb and it didn't have a frequent on and off schedule (ie 20mins of watching here or there). During this time the bulb will also dim significantly. A plasma or lcd (a 720p plasma 50" goes for around 799 at the local frys for a samsung) will last for 60000hours and you can turn it on and off all you want. Plus the black levels on a dlp don't touch plasma despite the ludicrously high numbers they advertise them at.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Actually after a year of usage it does take about 20 seconds to turn on. Bulb life on these are rated at about 6000hours but usually last around 1000-3000hours and thats assuming its not a faulty bulb and it didn't have a frequent on and off schedule (ie 20mins of watching here or there). During this time the bulb will also dim significantly. A plasma or lcd (a 720p plasma 50" goes for around 799 at the local frys for a samsung) will last for 60000hours and you can turn it on and off all you want. Plus the black levels on a dlp don't touch plasma despite the ludicrously high numbers they advertise them at.[/quote]

Well mine doesn't take anywhere near 20 secs to turn on, it's about 5 tops, and after a very rough calculation I'd say the bulb has already lasted 5720 hours.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']

Wait scratch that this is only on dlp's fucks that. Why buy a tv that you cant turn on and off at a whim (Other than the expensive but nice led model). If you buy a dlp tv you pretty much have to watch at >1hr intervals to maintain bulb life with long breaks in between. Save your money get a 720p plasma for 800 and you'll come out ahead. (Bulbs cost around 300-400 a piece)[/quote]

I love the misinformation on CAG sometimes

What do you just believe what Best Buy tells you so you will buy the service plan?

1.) Bulbs are about 150.00 from Samsung http://www.samsungparts.com/parts_l...g_name=Parts and Accessories&category_name=TV

You can get them cheaper on Ebay,Amazon, and most home theater sites.

2.) Bulb life is ~ 8,000 to 10,000 hrs depending on how much you turn it off and on, settings (brightness etc), and heat keep it cool and ventilated.

You can get about 2 to 3 years out of a bulb with normal use

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Damn why couldn't this be after October 6th. My grant money from school comes in then and I planned on getting a new tv.[/quote]

Then it will be almost Black Friday so hold out :)

bread's done
Back